Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Beedok, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Well yes, that's true. I just wanted to make a map that shows all the places that Belgium wanted and considered. Even if they weren't finalized ideas, the idea of them is fascinatingly bizarre

2. LSCatilina Vassican Labosiotos Vergagnatos

Thing is, it's less Belgium as such (Belgium had a certain anti-colonial stress during most of the XIXth, partially coming from the ideal of neutrality among the population) than various companies, individual prospects, or even brief mentions of "hey, wouldn't a colony look cool there?" in official accunts collected by a Leopold II going cold turkey on its colonial addiction.

CtrlAltHistory, Viralworld and Crying like this.
  3. FancyHat Well-Known Member

IIRC there's a paper from the University of Texas that talks about Leopold I's colonial ambitions, though it focuses on four projects in particular (off the top of my head I can only recall Santo Tomás, some project to buy up large tracts of the southern Amazon from Brazil and Paraguay, and I think something in Guinea)

CtrlAltHistory and Crying like this.
  4. rvbomally Russian Hacker

So that's where the star comes from.

[​IMG]

5. Xianfeng Emperor Amateur Iran-o-phile

sregan_basemap_08.12.11_present_maxidivisions.png
    Compulsory listening by order of the glorious Generalissimo (click on Chiang's face):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  6. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Considering the map linked to doesn't have internal boundaries for China, but does have those boundaries between the Siberian areas, I would say those might have been satteliate states. As the person mentioned, they weren't going to try translating it.

Crying likes this.
  7. Xianfeng Emperor Amateur Iran-o-phile

Nope. I'm from Hong Kong and I can read traditional Chinese. The Chinese there clearly marks the areas out as Provinces. From East to West:
    Taiping Province (lit. Great Peace)
    Zhongxing Province (lit. Central Prosperity)
    Yongning Province (lit. Eternal Peace)
    Yongan Province (lit. Eternal Pacification)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  8. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Love it. Eternal Pacification for Central Asia? Brilliant. Your map does seem to have an issue or two, though. When I look up historical administrative divisions for China, it shows the ROC having the two areas to the. East of the Tibet Area as unified. Suppose it might come down to the difference between facts on paper and facts on the ground, though. Which year of basemap did you use for China?

CtrlAltHistory, AUGGP and merkmuds like this.
  9. Xianfeng Emperor Amateur Iran-o-phile

Ah--thanks for the tip. It's the basemap--missed out that part when I was colouring Tibet as a province. I'll fix that.

10. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Definetly all comes down to the years, and I a man sure the ROC would have made some more changes in the areas around the Han heartlands. I think they also might have been a bit different borders in Manchuria, but given the ROC didn't control that land long, if at all, they it was probably all on paper as well.

11. Green Painting Ship of Theseus

Zhongxing means “revival” or “rejuvenation” of a failing Dynasty. To “prosper”(Xing) again in its mid life(zhong).

Like how Emperor Xian of Tang revived Tang from decline, or Chancellor Zhang Juzheng revived Ming.

Chiang wanted to conquer Russian Siberia to mark his Dynasty’s revival.

12. Xianfeng Emperor Amateur Iran-o-phile

Hm. I honestly don't know why Manchuria has that many provinces. I suppose it's because how rich it was compared to the rest of China in postwar times--but that's just a guess.
    Oh crap. That's embarrassing I didn't see it. I swear my Chinese is usually better.

13. AustrianMartyr Active Member

Sam Houston's vision of a Texas-Oregon Union.
    [​IMG]
    from How the States Got Their Shapes Too
    [​IMG]

14. Tyche Hand of Providence

Ideal Timeline imo

15. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

Swede and Kovalenko like this.
  16. Crazy Boris Cool Dood

Perfection.
    Yeehaw

17. Suvareshkin Well-Known Member

Yeet-haw*

18. xmoose Well-Known Member

Greater Belgium? I hear about some plan involving Sudan or part of it. Belgian king want to help with pacification of mahdists and then use them for "liberation" of Armenia or something similar...

Crying, Flashman and Bomster like this.
  19. Spiritual Sausage Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Map of the Paraguayan War including disputed territory. There was one I saw in a Masaman video today that I can't find that also had the proposal Argentina floated to just wipe Paraguay off the map entirely

20. Iserlohn Amateur Cartographer

I took a quick screenshot of the video in question.

Screenshot_20181019-235202_YouTube.jpg