"Our Struggle": What If Hitler Had Been a Communist?

Hm, it's 1929 already. Is everything else in Europe the same as OTL? Poland and Lithuania went dictatorial around this time, same in TTL, right?

Lithania and Poland have progressed in the same fashion as in OTL. There have been butterflies causing changes in some other countries which I plan to show in subsequent chapters but the really large ripple effects are just about to begin.

I just want to say that this is really one of the best things on AH.com right now, and the fact that you're describing art and cinema makes me like it even more. The alternate version of Metropolis literally gave me chills.

Butterflies haven't affected the US yet, have they? I suppose Coolidge might still be president if his son didn't die.

Last edited:
I just listened to this whole thing on my text to speech app (easier and more immersive than scrolling through all the comments) and I must say this is an incredible work. I love how you've successfully woven characters into the narrative, giving us an every day view of life in the world that formed Hitler.

Also I liked how you've handled the minutia of Weimar politics without getting tedious. My only fear is that you won't finish in the next decade!

I just want to say that this is really one of the best things on AH.com right now, and the fact that you're describing art and cinema makes me like it even more. The alternate version of Metropolis literally gave me chills.

Butterflies haven't affected the US yet, have they? I suppose Coolidge might still be president if his son didn't die.

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it, I was particularly happy with how Metropolis turned out.

There haven't been any major butterflies to impact the US so far so Hoover is President in 1929 still, the outside world won't stay butterfly-free for long however.

I just listened to this whole thing on my text to speech app (easier and more immersive than scrolling through all the comments) and I must say this is an incredible work. I love how you've successfully woven characters into the narrative, giving us an every day view of life in the world that formed Hitler.

Also I liked how you've handled the minutia of Weimar politics without getting tedious. My only fear is that you won't finish in the next decade!

Thank you also! I should note that my last work covered only one year and that took me three years to write so I am speeding up. :p

Red Fuhrer Release Announcement
I've got a special announcement to make which I hope you will all find interesting. I've been a bit quiet recently in regards to this TL but that's because I've been spending most of my time working on its release.

The Red Fuhrer is now available.

As with Decisive Darkness, this isn't something I would have been able to do without the help and support from the readers of this TL. I can't emphasise enough how much you guys make this a pleasure to write, and I hope you all enjoy the book. I owe you all a great debt of gratitude.

Last edited:
I've got a special announcement to make which I hope you will all find interesting. I've been a bit quiet recently in regards to this TL but that's because I've been spending most of my time working on its release.

As with Decisive Darkness, this isn't something I would have been able to do without the help and support from the readers of this TL. I can't emphasise enough how much you guys make this a pleasure to write, and I hope you all enjoy the book. I owe you all a great debt of gratitude.

"Adolf Hitler is regarded as history's most notorious villian for good reason."

grumbles

That's pretty good. You got it through a publisher? Nice.

This is great, but I'm confused by something.

Is this a finished version of this current timeline? Or a published version of what we have currently (plus or minus a little)?

Maybe I've been blind but I don't recall seeing any mention of The Red Fuhrer and the description doesn't make it any clearer what its relation is to this timeline.

This is great, but I'm confused by something.

Is this a finished version of this current timeline? Or a published version of what we have currently (plus or minus a little)?

Maybe I've been blind but I don't recall seeing any mention of The Red Fuhrer and the description doesn't make it any clearer what its relation is to this timeline.

Much better, but this isn't completed yet, correct?

This is the first of what I hope will be a four or five part series. This first part is the years between 1912 and 1924. Those who've read the TL here will notice some similarities as the book is obviously based on this but I've added far more to the story to make the narrative flow from chapter to chapter. There's also a few things I wanted to add a bit more on that I didn't when I first posted here, Hitler's futurist artwork, his anti-semitism, etc.

Congrats on getting published.

Just finished reading the book. Very good, of course. The extra material is up to the same standard as the stuff already in this thread.

I miss a lot of the classic ah.com tl stuff (the wikiboxes, the pictures, the quotes from future articles etc.) but the fact that's it's nearly all narrative does give it more mainstream appeal and less information is lost than I'd have feared. In fact in many ways people's motives are more clear when the exposition has to be done in dialogue rather than in academic articles.

Chilling ending too.

Oh come on! Why did you say that!? Now my wallet will probably suffer.

The book ends
on a scene with hitler that you've already read (when our struggle is published and he grandstands about his plans) and then an epilogue of the two flash forwards already seen in this thread to hitler's germany (goering in a labour camp, bloke in france making airplanes etc.)

The only new scene in the ending is we get a look at Hitler's enemies (von schleicher and pals) plotting directly prior to hitler doing the same, so it feels like more of a teaser to what comes next. It feels much more chilling in the book without comments, wikiboxes etc and in a new order but it's not new content really.

100% worth the money, I'd say. There's a lot of new scenes earlier on.