"Our Struggle": What If Hitler Had Been a Communist?

When I read the part about the army column being visible my first thought was something like during the fall of france with the attacker being stuck in a traffic jam, but in this case the defender (austria) attacking and inflicting heavy losses
Austria was forbidden any air forces under the 1919 treaty. There were no doubt some aircraft that could have been co-opted, but they would have been crude improvised bombers, or light aircraft used for observation and scouting - no match for anything that Italy could put into the air.

Another nice chapter! Looks like not everything is quiet on the southern front…

“A lot of the locals aren’t particularly happy with being Italian and we had to make sure they wouldn’t run off and tell the Austrians what was going to happen. Maybe after this is over it will be clear to them they’re Italian whether they like it or not but until then I have use of your artistic talents.”

“Don’t worry, citizens! We have come to save you… From yourselves!

“Roman legions march once more Marinetti!” The fascist general boomed, snapping to attention and sticking his right arm into the air. The man’s broad, leering face didn’t match the pomp of his uniform. He was a Blackshirt at heart. Marinetti grinned and returned the fascist salute. Mussolini might have kept too many of the old guard around but Baistrocchi’s sincerity for the fascist cause could not be doubted.

So instead of having a competent military, Benito would rather put his cronies in positions of such responsibility…

This is going to end well. But not for Italy.

Best band I ever saw live. One of the comments under the video says that they performed this version at The Valley in 1976. Well, I was there - it was one of three dates on "The Who Put The Boot In Tour", with SAHB second on the bill. I don't remember whether Alex did this version, tbh.

I also saw a second on the tour, in Swansea, when SAHB blew The Who off the stage, and not many could ever do that.

That's amazing, I grew up listening to them.

Excellent as always.

Thanks!

This reeks of civil war

I managed to go a few updates without any civil wars to be fair.

So is the implication the Anschluss between the Oster and German Reich's occurs during the twilight of the Weimar Republic?

Pretty much.

Great update. Loving the Austrian politics.

Thanks!

Brilliant. I know from passage before that they remained friends till his death in 47, I was expecting they stayed in regular contact all this time. They reunion will be joy to read.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to writing it myself.

Long time no see good ol' Franz! I'm not well-versed in modern arts (or arts in general for that matter), but the initial chapters' rundown of early 20th century artistic movements was very nicely done.
I wonder if Hitler would be willing to give Franz a job in the DAR's Ministry of Culture-equivalent?

Thanks, I'm sure Franz would be happy to get some proper funding for his childrens education initiatives and the Volksfuhrer will certainly owe him a favour.

They're so well prepared that they don't have any German speakers attached to the invading units.

It's more a case of Baistrocchi being curious about what the radio's banging on about now that the Heimwehr have managed to capture a station rather than Marinetti being the only one who can speak German.

typically Italian army, right?

When I read the part about the army column being visible my first thought was something like during the fall of france with the attacker being stuck in a traffic jam, but in this case the defender (austria) attacking and inflicting heavy losses

It's actually a bit more like Italy's experience with the fall of France were they launched a last minute landgrab expecting minimal resistance only for it to turn into a bloody quagmire. Here the Italians have had even less time to prepare although the Austrians are at an even greater disadvantage than the French were.

Austria was forbidden any air forces under the 1919 treaty. There were no doubt some aircraft that could have been co-opted, but they would have been crude improvised bombers, or light aircraft used for observation and scouting - no match for anything that Italy could put into the air.

They had been planning on an air force of their own in secret by this point...with Italian assistance. Nothing substantial had come of it by this point however.

Another nice chapter! Looks like not everything is quiet on the southern front…

Thanks!

“Don’t worry, citizens! We have come to save you… From yourselves!

Although it doesn't compare to what happened in Libya the Italianization campaign in South Tyrol was pretty relentless and the resistance to it was fervent if largely passive.

So instead of having a competent military, Benito would rather put his cronies in positions of such responsibility…

The cronyism was already there prior to Mussolini but his solution was largely to stick in his own cronies alongside them whilst not upsetting the existing ones. Some of the fascist generals were actually competent mind you.

That's amazing, I grew up listening to them.
Everyone should be made to listen to them while growing up. I had all their albums on vinyl - mostly brilliant, but after Hugh McKenna left, and was replaced by Tommy Eyre, they went desperately proggy. I listened to Rock Drill about once.

I knew someone hitching down home to Cornwall back in '75, and he was at one of the M5 services sometime early one Sunday morning (25 May, to be precise) when SAHB came in, presumably on their way back after a gig out west. He left pdq, as Alex and bassist Chris Glen were roaming around looking for a suitable Englishman to beat up.

As if Bertolt Brecht had been a member of a Glasgow razor gang.

Chapter C
Woe betide he who instigates war. If Italy is not used to the seriousness or the responsibility it entails, if Italy is not used to taking anyone seriously; if bourgeois Italy is, perhaps, under the pleasant, simple assumption that not even Italian revolutionaries are to be taken seriously, the die is already cast: it is certain that more than one lone wolf’s tale and slyness, will be left in the trap.

~ Antonio Gramsci, War is War

1594893244290.png

The convoy of armoured cars came to a halt and the marching of the uniformed soldiers behind seemed to do the same. It was a synchronicity only recently drilled into the People’s Guard.

“Time to say hello I think,” Major Heinz Guderian shouted down to Johann from the cupola. He nodded and opened the door of the armoured car, taking his white flag with him.

“Let’s hope we don’t get the same reception as the Italians.” He shouted up to Guderian, and put his right hand up to his head before bringing it down again. The Major returned the salute more seamlessly. The introduction of the salute made Johann uncomfortable, albeit not as much as the new uniforms that were effectively those of the Reichswehr. The People’s Guard had incorporated these elements and personnel like Guderian to make itself more disciplined and professional. They certainly looked and acted a bit less than a roving band of revolutionaries than they had a year beforehand but now the time had come to see if it would pay off.

The crisp air was a relief after the stuffiness of the armoured car however the mountains around him gave Johann pause for thought. This plateau between the Karwendel and Wetterstein mountains provided a historic link between Innsburck in Austria and Mittenwalf in Bavaria; the area had been doing well from the Customs Union but it also left unwanted visitors exposed to anyone dug in around the terrain.

Johann gripped the white flag close to himself and tried to keep his stahlhelm helmet from slipping over his eyes when the excited border official emerged from his hut. Although the man might have been expected to be panicking when it appeared to only be himself at his station he was instead marching up to them in a fury.

“What is the meaning of this?” The official demanded angrily, he looked older than his Habsburg uniform but he clearly wasn’t fazed by thousands of German soldiers appearing at his hut.

“We’re from the People’s Guard, we’re here to help”

“Yes I can see that,” he snapped, “but what are you here to help me with? I don’t need so many bodies to go over customs receipts.”

“We’re here to help you fend off the Italians.”

“Ah yes, that old solution to foreign invasion: another foreign invasion!” The old man’s anger had turned to exasperation.

“We’re your brothers, not foreigners. We’ve been sent to help, nothing other than that.” Johann said soothingly, trying to put the old man at ease.

“On whose authority?”

“The Citizens Defence Council.”

“Which Austrian authority?”

“There are stipulations for mutual defence...the union treaty.”

“That treaty is part of my job young lad, I could recite it to you in full. There are no such stipulations.”

Johann was lost for words and wanted to pull his helmet down over his head rather than keep it from doing so. The old man was right. Such clauses had been officially kept secret but he presumed the older man would be aware. If he wasn’t, were the Austrian army?

“Er, well, one thing I should-”

“Wait here.” The border officer commanded before marching back to the hut. Johann was left between his troops and the border. He wondered for a moment if the Austrians might be about to open fire but time passed and instead he had to make holding gestures in answer to cries of what was going on from behind him. Eventually he was called over the hut.

Johann couldn’t help but feel sorry for the highly strung official, since the union treaty had been signed the old man likely hadn’t been required to do anything more officious than look ceremonial. Now he was playing a part in history. The man tapped his foot nervously on the floor whilst cradling an ancient phone in his hand before holding the ear and mouthpiece over to Johann.

“With whom am I speaking?” A voice asked on the other hand.

It was a miracle the contraption still worked.

“Defence Commissar Johann Fischer, of the People’s Guard.”

“You are now under Bundesheer command.” It was hard to get an idea of the man’s tone over the static but it didn’t exactly exude welcome.

“Who is this?”

“General Knaus, Chief of Staff, your superior for the duration. Your troops will march to Brenner where you will liaise with the sixth brigade under General Thym. You will drive ahead to make the arrangements. Bring ammunition and weaponry ahead of your troops. Proceed immediately, I want you and your supplies there this morning and your troops by this evening at the latest..”

With that the line dropped.

“I’m sure someone will be happy you’re here.” The old man said before devolving into barks of laughter.

He had lightened up but Johann was left to dwell on how bad the situation was down there if they were already so low on ammunition they were asking for supplies from an army that might not even share the same weaponry. It hadn’t been two days since the fascists had launched their coup.

“Well let’s hope the Italians won’t be at any rate.” He saluted to the border guard and stepped out of the hut to explain the situation to his comrades. Within the hour they were on the move. The trucks they had available were sent forward transporting not only Johann but also carrying as much of their available supplies of ammunition and weaponry that they could carry.

Although the fact the Bundesheer were already low on ammunition was alarming it was perhaps also a reason to be relieved. Since the fascist coup had broken out in Styria and Vienna the United Front had been wary that the Austrian army, or at least elements of it, might have been supportive of it. The Italian invasion in support of the coup seemed to have focused them on defending the nation in a way that the Italians hadn’t expected but it was best the People’s Guard were now here to make sure that stayed the case.

He had been relegated to accepting Bundesheer authority, something Johann now realised he wasn’t sure he should have accepted. Halfway to Brenner it was too late to change that however and perhaps it was worthwhile if it assured they were in Austria and on their way to the front.

The ‘front’ by the time Johann and his trucks arrived was nothing like he had seen during the Civil War. The Austrians and Italians had been hammering away at each other from the same positions without much change and the result was devastation to the scenery around them. The ground was disturbed, a mixture of greenery that might otherwise have been pristine were it not for the numerous craters where artillery had impacted. The majestic alps bore scars of battle and plumes of smoke where fires had erupted amongst the forests. The closest thing he could think of was the footage he had seen of the World War, the war he had been training to fight for before it had ended in the republic he was now here to represent.

Their welcome came in the form of Austrian troops ransacking their trucks for supplies as well as trying to requisition the trucks themselves, which sparked protests from the drivers and Johann. The People’s Guard had few enough trucks as it was and they weren’t about to give up on their ride home. Whenever that would be.

“Which one of you is Fischer?”

Johann had been arguing with an Austrian purporting to be a quartermaster when the call had come out. He turned to see a gruff general covered in soot. A facial wound made it look as if he was bleeding from one eye.

“General Thym?” Johann asked, saluting.

Or what was left of him.

“Thank you for coming and don’t salute. We suspect the Italians might have a sniper in the area.”

Johann was glad to dispense with the custom as Thym walked him over to a dugout surrounded by sandbags and dirt. It was a warm day but the atmosphere inside was stifling, looking back he saw his men being led away from the trucks

“We’re going to need to retain use of those vehicles.”

“Not possible I’m afraid, we can’t afford anything that can move to be lying around. I must admit I was hoping you would understand that, have you had any experience of combat?”

“I’ve fought the Freikorps, then the French, then the Reichswehr.” Johann listed them off absentmindedly, his eyes fixed to a map of the area on the table that dominated the centre of the dugout, it displayed dispositions in pen with a line of string between both. It hadn’t moved much beyond the official Austrian border.

“Ah, a political. Well, war makes for strange bedfellows I suppose. We’ve had word on your troops, they should be here by tonight.”

“Indeed General, and we can be ready to take to the offensive by tomorrow morning.” Johann grinned confidently.

“Offensive? You’re not in command here my red friend.” Thym replied, any warmth gone from his tone.

“You might have defeated the Reichswehr but I’m sure that some of them would be acquainted with the hell that is fighting in the mountains. If there was one thing we learned from the last war it’s that if you’re fighting in mountains and you’re on the defensive and can choose to remain so, don’t launch an offensive.”

“You may be in charge General but my comrades aren’t here to sit around either. With respect, we would prefer to fight the fascists. Give them some payback for what they tried to do to Germany and are now trying to do to Austria. If you want to hold them here perhaps we’d have been better suited clearing them out of Vienna? ”

“I’m sure your utopians are used to lateral thinking but this is a hierarchy, one you are now a part of and my orders are for us to stay put. There’s a solution to this, one involving international diplomacy. One that leaves less of my men dead than the one that involves your need to give the Italians a black eye.”

Johann wanted to refute the General but a sound of droning that had previously been faint was now growing in volume from outside. Both men looked at each other in confusion for a moment before stepping out of the dugout

The sky was full of planes and Johann realised he had seen these in the flight magazines that had been readily available before the civil war. Their fascistic markings cast no doubt about their origins. Thym tugged at his coat and quickly they returned to the relative safety of the dugout as bombs began to fall around them. Johann saw one of the trucks they had arrived in burst into flames and he felt the warm glow on his face even from inside the shelter. Another impact filled the dugout with dust, leaving both himself and Thym stumbling around in the murky air. Johann found himself struggling to breathe and for a moment panicked at the thought of gas before hacking up the dirt that had gone down his throat.

The roof of the dugout caved in under the pressure, caking them both in more dirt and leaving the sky exposed once more. Thankfully the bombers seemed to have completed their raid. Both men emerged from underneath the table.

“Capronis” Thym rasped, looking once again at the sky that was now clear of danger.

“Believe it or not the last government had placed an order for them. Before everything turned upside down.”

Johann looked up to see the bombers bank at angle and then flew off to the south.

Together the Austrians and Germans could hold the Italians in these mountains but in the skies both were helpless. The solution to that problem was being worked on within the Soviet Union, starting from where the Reichswehr had left off. In the meantime the Bundesheer’s faith in their own international solution would have to suffice.

---

The painting is Sudden Uplift by Tullio Crali

Together the Austrians and Germans could hold the Italians in these mountains but in the skies both were helpless. The solution to that problem was being worked on within the Soviet Union, starting from where the Reichswehr had left off.
So it looks like the Luftwaffe (if the commies end up calling it that) might be flying Ratas soon.
Bit early for them. At this time, the standard VVS fighter was the I-5, with a reasonable performance for the time.

The Italian fighters used would probably have been Fiat CR.20, of roughly comparable abilities.

Bit early for them. At this time, the standard VVS fighter was the I-5, with a reasonable performance for the time.

The Italian fighters used would probably have been Fiat CR.20, of roughly comparable abilities.
Right, my mistake. I'm reading so many TL's set in the 1920's, 30's and 40's its hard to keep track of the various dates in time.

Excellent update. Is the Austrian Army still ~30,000 as dictated by Treaty, or is it larger like the Reichswehr/Black Reichswehr?

Italy had a golden chance and squandered it. Honestly Fascism might die a slow death as an unsuccessful ideology, carried out by Italians and a handful of other nations. First the Third Reich crashed and burned within, what, six months? And now Italy invaded Austria and halted not far into a country smaller in population, industry, and military.

Cool update The Red.
So it looks like the Luftwaffe (if the commies end up calling it that) might be flying Ratas soon.

Thanks! I figured the Rote Armee would have an air force more subordinate to the army rathern than Goering's personal fiefdom so a 'Rote Luftstreitkräfte' instead of a Luftwaffe.

Great, Italy's military actually isn't doing that bad here. Looks like I'll have to put away all my WW2 Italy memes.

For now.

The one big advantage here is they're fighting in terrain they're better prepared for rather than, say, desert warfare against a more mechanised and better supplied enemy. It's still hellish when you're the aggressor but the Italian reputation might end up a bit better than it did IOTL.

I can still see the ooperation bearing fruit later on but right now the United Front are still keen to say they're trying to comply with Versailles. Although in the face of Italian aggression they might be forced to move to a militarist stance...

Right, my mistake. I'm reading so many TL's set in the 1920's, 30's and 40's its hard to keep track of the various dates in time.

No harm done, the Moscas will make an appearance soon enough. :)

Excellent update. Is the Austrian Army still ~30,000 as dictated by Treaty, or is it larger like the Reichswehr/Black Reichswehr?

Thanks! The Bundesheer did have something of a Black Reicswehr equivalent but it was usually organised via the Heimwehr.

Italy had a golden chance and squandered it. Honestly Fascism might die a slow death as an unsuccessful ideology, carried out by Italians and a handful of other nations. First the Third Reich crashed and burned within, what, six months? And now Italy invaded Austria and halted not far into a country smaller in population, industry, and military.

The fallacy of trains running on time is likely to go out the window at any rate.

Just finished binge reading: A brilliant timeline, and a delayed Manchuria invasion put a spark of hope on my chest for a better KMT.

Thanks! It won't be too long before the story returns to China.

The one big advantage here is they're fighting in terrain they're better prepared for rather than, say, desert warfare against a more mechanised and better supplied enemy. It's still hellish when you're the aggressor but the Italian reputation might end up a bit better than it did IOTL.
So they'll be remembered as slightly less horrifically incompetent than OTL?

Not looking great for any future nationalist in España either.

I’m glad to see Sassy Guderian again! Seems like he didn’t take that Swedish job in the end.

Von Manstein: “No, damn fools! Don’t you see? Those Reds oppose everything that could make Germany great again. Stop cooperating with them!

Guderian: “He he he, the tank goes brum brum brum…”

He had been relegated to accepting Bundesheer authority, something Johann now realised he wasn’t sure he should have accepted.

Maybe he didn’t really have much of a choice, although… Let’s hope this doesn’t backfire, somehow.

Austrian officer: “You have to do everything I say, or you can’t pass.”

Johann: “But I need to pass… Arg! All right, I accept.”

Austrian officer: “Well, that was quick! Now you must obey me or else.”

Johann: “Wait! I immediately regret this decision.”

Austrian officer: “Shut up. And bring me a sandwich!”

Johann: “NOOO!”

On the other hand, Johann is more familiarized with “irregular warfare”: ambushes, skirmishes, guerrilla war… Taking part in more conventional battles will surely be an interesting experience for the Red United Front Army!

And even if there are lots of “Italy WW2 lol” memes, some Italian officers could be competent at times. Perhaps this campaign will be a learning experience for them too.

Regarding air superiority: even if Germany and Austria haven’t got proper Air Forces yet, isn’t there some kind of anti-air weaponry they could use? “If we can’t fly, then no one else can!

Chapter CI
Workers all over the world have been moved to admiration by the heroic resistance of the Austrian workers, fighting in defence of their trade union and political organisations. These men were organised in a party to which we are opposed, a party whose policy we know to be wrong, but that should not, and does not, prevent us from welcoming the spirit in which they defended themselves. Their conduct is a proof that the working class can produce men and movements as tenacious, and possessed of as much endurance and integrity, as anything the ruling class can show, despite the manifold advantages of their position.

~ Edgar Hardcastle, Austrian Workers’ Tragic Heroism

1595068758459.png

On the morning of September 12th the breaking point was reached. Heimwehr forces in Styria under the command of Dr Walter Pfrimer mobilised to take control of the state before marching into Lower Austria, Vienna was surrounded before Heimwehr forces marched in. Their aims were to arrest the Social Democratic Chancellor, Otto Bauer, and Mayor of the city, Karl Seitz as well as to seize the Chancellery, War Ministry and the broadcasting station of the national Radio Communication Company. It was hoped by the end of that day the country would be secured and the resignation of Bauer’s government could be announced before a new Heimwehr regime could declare the end of the Austro-German economic union.

The basis of the Heimwehr coup was predicated on previous exercises carried out in the name of preparing for a Socialist uprising in Austria. These had involved seizing control of the states of Carinthia, Lower Austria and Styria whilst placing a cordon around Vienna before marching into the city. The remnant of Austria to the north and west was deemed to contain less of a ‘red’ presence and could be expected to fall in line. These plans were adapted based on the experiences of the former Third Reich veterans of the German Civil War who emphasised the need to secure a position of dominance throughout the country to best exploit the element of surprise and their superior firepower and win a decisive victory before any Socialist uprising could properly coordinate or even manifest itself in the first place. In this way it was hoped the Heimwehr would not make the same mistakes the Third Reich had.

This advice had come from men who had recently expanded the organisation to over 400,000 members with 150,000 of those under arms, theoretically larger than the Bundesheer and the left-wing militias put together. Only around 20,000 of these men could really be considered ‘mobile’ by the time of the coup but the Heimwehr enjoyed close connections with the Bundesheer in many states, particularly the Tyrol where frequent weapons transfers would occur between the two sides. It was expected the Bundesheer could be relied upon in the event of a coup, at the very least not to do anything. Financial and political support had been gained from the Hungarian and Italian regimes although neither had actively been made aware of the impending coup, nor had the Bundesheer or indeed some sections of the Heimwehr itself.

Despite the development of the coup plans its initiation came down to the local leadership in the state of Styria. Dr Pfrimer was a man keen on personal glory and privately had designs on the position of Chancellor or President, or both, following the success of the coup. He was nonetheless keen on ensuring the coup was as widespread as possible and thus encouraged many of the forces not directly available to be transported to Vienna to take control of their states and await news from the capital. The reaction to this was mixed and although around 100,000 of the Heimwehr’s armed men came out they were often keen to interact with the local police, with whom they could often rely upon good relations but who tried to keep public order at the same time, confining them to static displays of strength and waiting for news to come from Vienna.

In Vienna itself the entrance of the Heimwehr forces into the capital quickly broke out into a riot. The Social Democratic and Communist militias, taken by surprise, initially struggled to coordinate themselves and in those first hours it was the workers of Vienna who played the main role in holding back the Heimwehr forces. Just as in 1927 bricks and tools went up against guns with predictable bloodshed. The broadcasting station announced the developing takeover but as fighting began to rage around it the news became increasingly unclear, eventually devolving into the recital of right-wing slogans. The Heimwehr forces entering the Chancellery shot Bauer dead, allegedly whilst the Social Democratic Chancellor was attempting to evade arrest. Those attempting to seize Vienna City Hall bizarrely lost Mayor Seitz, who was claimed, somewhat bizarrely, to have made his way out of the besieged building brandishing his walking stick as a club. The reason these tales arose are perhaps to be found in Seitz’s rallying of the Social Democratic militia who were able to build their strength over the course of the following days until Vienna became an urban battlefield with thousands of armed men battling for the city’s streets. Seitz would finally declare victory on September 15th as the Heimwehr were forced to retreat out of the city and back to the cordon they had placed around it. By this time events on the Austro-Italian border had taken precedence.

Two days previously the Italian army had attempted to enter into Austria on the basis of assisting the coup. Although it is unlikely this was prearranged it is likely the Heimwehr would have welcomed such a move, had the Italians not met a resolute Bundesheer defence on the mountainous border. The better equipped Italians faced against beleaguered Austrian defenders who were short of ammunition and weapons but nonetheless had the advantage of some of the most easily defensible terrain in the world. It was a battle which quickly descended into a bloody quagmire for both sides.

General Siegmund Knaus, the Bundesheer Chief of Staff, had watched events in Vienna play out from the undisturbed War Ministry, having warned the approaching Heimwehr forces that he would not react to either side until attacked. Following a short discussion with Pfrimer, the two men agreed the War Ministry would not be disturbed nor would its special phone lines out of the capital be disconnected. What was on the face of it a smart conciliatory gesture from the Heimwehr was to end up a disastrous one, for when Knaus heard of Italian troops approaching the border he ordered those Bundesheer troops stationed there to defend themselves against any border violation. Knaus was no Socialist and it is likely his sympathies would have lay closer to the Heimwehr position even if he wasn’t keen to get his own hands dirty. The notion of the coup being foreign backed however, gave him reason to pick a side. This was also the case for the Tyrolese Heimwehr who found themselves acting as traffic police for the German People’s Guard.

The Austrian Civil War is a difficult conflict to characterise. On the one hand there are challenges as to what extent the conflict could be seen as a civil war at all in comparison to the far bloodier affair that had occurred less than a year beforehand in Germany. Then there is the issue that it was multi-faceted. Whilst there were certainly contrasting sides it is difficult to define them. The Bundesheer and their impromptu allies in the Austrian left-wing militias and the German People’s Guard made a bizarre coalition who lacked unified aims beyond defending the status quo of the Austro-German economic union. On the other hand the Italian-backed Styrian Heimwehr was a clear danger but the Heimwehr not acting in unison and in some cases assisting the ‘enemy’ further muddies the waters. The fact that much of the actual fighting took place between the conventional forces of Austria, Germany and Italy around the Brenner Pass whilst in the streets of Vienna the Republicaner Schutzbund and the Communist League were left to deal with the Heimwehr leaves it difficult to ascribe the importance to one combatant or the other.

The historical focus, particularly on the international level, has undoubtedly favoured greater scrutiny in regards to the events that played out in Brenner than those in Vienna. It was this early prelude to the Second World War which alerted the League of Nations of the need to once again intervene to find a peaceful solution. It is for this reason that the incident is often spun into the wider narrative of those events leading towards the global conflict. This is despite the fact that, if not for the workers of Vienna it is likely that any Italian moves would not have been necessary and, perhaps in turn, the binding of Austria and Germany would not have become such an urgent political necessity.

~ Shaun Williams, Weimar's Rise and Fall

---

The painting is Rose Garden by Paul Klee

Those Italians have really messed up, haven't they? If they hadn't done anything, the regular army would have sided with the fascist coup d'état and helped them overthrow the democratic socialist government. Instead, they invaded, so the Italians (allies of the fascists) found themselves fighting the Austrian regular army on the border, thus forcing reactionary Bundesheer officers into an alliance of convenience with the socialists. It's a mess, but it's a bit hilarious that Mussolini has shot himself in the foot so spectacularly.