How's the Start?

• Total voters
As I've understood it (and please correct me if any of you disagree), the casaulties sustained by the ANZAC troops in the campaign have often been seen as one of the defining moments in Australia and New Zealands emergence as nations in their own right - a baptism of blood, as I think it has been described.

rise of aussie and kiwi nationalism from what i understand. They just called themselves overseas brits before it seems (at least in majority)
Ah, thanks for explaining.

I don’t believe that this Ottoman Empire would have to give so much to Greece in order to buy their friendship. After all, they have nothing to gain from such an arrangement and would immediately lose territory that although they do not defacto control, is still their territory. Better for both Greece and the Ottomans to do nothing and negotiate with both sides of the conflict together as a unified block.

True i can see Constantinople 'transferring' the protectorate from Britain to Greece (though probably with a clause of the Cypriot Turks being allowed freedom and other things) and allowing involving themselves in the negotiations
The British and Greeks are effectively presenting a fait accompli here, about now TTL but IMO the Ottomans have only to gain by playing along when they can't stop the deal anyway. Turkish-Cypriots are likely given the same rights Turco-Cretans were given fro the outset when Greece and the Ottomans agreed on formal union of the island with Greece.

I can see the Ottomans giving up Chios and Lesbos, i do not see them giving up the dodecanese. The dodecanese controls one of the sealanes into the Aegean Sea and is strategically an important place to hold onto, which the ottomans would not be willing to give up. On the other islands though i agree.
The main strategic point for control of approaches to the Aegean is arguably Crete. Rhodes and the Dodecanese in general offers actually little. Sure it would be easier to run coastal convoys from Antalya to Smyrna if you control the Dodecanese but if you have to deal with a stronger hostile navy in the Aegean this is likely the least of your problems...

I like this TL very much .I want to nominate it for the 2021 turtledoves,how to do so ?
Ok I was just thinking about doing that. so I will just second it.

1)write the title of the TL.
here it's
Osman Reborn; The Survival of Ottoman Democracy [An Ottoman TL set in the 1900s]
2)Also copy its link address.
3)then when you written the title of the story, highlight it.
4)you see when you are writing here (in this reply box) you have an box full of option above. there is that chain link (third from the right). click on that and you will find a URL box, paste the link address there and then mention the author.

that's all you need to do.

it is not that revolutionary feeling is not present in the cities. It is only that the qajar army is nearer to the cities making it easier for them to squash. However yes you are right, the Qajar Civil War will have far reaching consequences.
Are the Mullahs going to play some role in the rebellion? Cities like Qom and Mashhad hold some Shia holy sites and if the rebels can gain the Mullahs' support, that would be good for them.

So anyone wishing Turtledove for this TL can second it, since I have put it up for nomination.
I'll take a look at it.

The Ottoman delegation, Russian delegation and the British delegation met each other at Alexandria in Egypt on February 18, two weeks after civil war erupted in Persia to discuss the civil war. The Ottomans proposed that the Ottomans, Russians and British to withdraw all troops until the end of the civil conflict. Russia proposed that St. Petersburg and Constantinople to use this conflict as a way to end the Russo-Ottoman competition for northwestern Iran and supported the idea of withdrawing troops from the region. Britain however did not. Britain needed the lucrative Anglo-Persian Oil Company and the Abadan Oil Fields, and proposed that all troops would remain where they were, but they would practice full neutrality in the civil war, and not interfere with it. Not wishing to loose influence in Persia if they were the only ones to withdraw troops, Russia and the Ottomans reluctantly agreed, and all sides declared neutrality in the Persian Civil War, and ordered their troops to stay put.

persia map.PNG

side of the Persian Civil War. Purple represents the Zia government.

However in secret, the three powers had already picked sides. The Russians found the old government easy to control, inefficient and quite feeble, and wanted to keep Persia in that manner. Britain who had its own financial woes from Persian inefficiency tacitly supported the Zia government, as the Zia government was made up of, perhaps the most competent men and politicians from all over Persia, including the pretender Shah who was a capable royal in his own right. The Ottomans threw their lot in on both sides, wishing to play both sides. They sent information and intelligence to both the loyalists and the dissidents and managed to cultivate a good relation with both sides. The Qajar/Persian Civil War had started in full swing.” The Rise of the New Qajar Dynasty: A Memoir. Qoms Publishing, 1976.
Here I thought Persia would be partitioned by the three in the region.
Here is hoping the Zia government win this civil war, but wit the Ottomans are trying to keep the chaos going as long as it can, combined that with Iran's mostly mountainous geography, it could take years before any clear side is even close to victory. Also it look like this is going to drop the already very small population of Iran.

@Sārthākā Why did the Ottomans cede control of the East Arabian cost?
The Zia Government needs to win. Maybe the UK can get on the side of progress in Iran for a change from OTL.
The UK is only interested in the Oil and preventing Russia from gaining a way to threaten the Raj. The Great Game is only just being put on hold from Germany challenging the balance of Europe out of the British Empire's favor.
More competent leadership in Iran would quickly realize just how much the British are ripping them off. Any attempt to change this will always result in the British coups and counter coups on anyone in the Iranian government that wished to challenged this exploitive arrangement.
Edit: Just like IOTL.

Last edited:

Horseshoe

Banned
But will the Balkan powers allow the Ottoman empire to stay neutral since either alliance if they really need or want to can probably get the balkans to join their alliance if they promise them portions of the Ottoman empire post war plus taking what the remaining of the not turkish Ottoman empire (middle East and Libya)

But will the Balkan powers allow the Ottoman empire to stay neutral since either alliance if they really need or want to can probably get the balkans to join their alliance if they promise them portions of the Ottoman empire post war plus taking what the remaining of the not turkish Ottoman empire (middle East and Libya)
Russia definitely could, but I don't see the Central Powers pulling this off since it'd only rile up Austria-Hungary's Slavic populations even further.

Speaking of Austria-Hungary, how's Franz Ferdinand doing?

Russia definitely could, but I don't see the Central Powers pulling this off since it'd only rile up Austria-Hungary's Slavic populations even further.

Speaking of Austria-Hungary, how's Franz Ferdinand doing?
Would Russia really want to have the straights closed to them when they would be fighting AustroHungary and Germany?

Would Russia really want to have the straights closed to them when they would be fighting AustroHungary and Germany?
Maybe, they still have ports in the north. Also the fact the triple entente believe they can knockout the ottomans, russia smashed the ottomans on their front. Britain, was pushing forwards in the middle east. Churchill beloved they could even take the straights. They now also have serbia and Bulgaria, and maybe greece. The idea that russia and the triple entente should fear ottoman action is wrong, so what they beat italy. Italy wasn't on the main european power level. Russian navy in the black plus the might of france and britian fleet can easily control the waters.

Horseshoe

Banned
Can the Austrians fight Russia and the Balkan nation's at same time,with advantage of Balkan nation's armies split between fighting Austrian and Ottoman armies who are also split between fighting balkans nation Russia and France/UK in the middle east and keep enough troops to defend the austrian-italian border

Will we hear anything about the Brazilian battleship Rio de Janeiro and whether the Ottomans, with a stronger economy and lower debt levels relative to OTL, will purchase her to beef up their navy?

Will we hear anything about the Brazilian battleship Rio de Janeiro and whether the Ottomans, with a stronger economy and lower debt levels relative to OTL, will purchase her to beef up their navy?

Depending on war starting in 1914.

IIRC it has been stated that Ottomans already bought Rio. Even if it hasn't I don't see why not, especially with better economy. They did buy the ship OTL after all.

But if WW1 starts on schedule British would likely still take over the ships. Best case scenario, after the war ends the neutral/entente Ottomans get their two battleships, now slightly used by the RN like Chile got Almirante Latorre back. Also maybe Fatih Sultan Mehmed doesn't get scrapped and is finished eventually (or at least the Ottomans get compensation for their ship).

If war doesn't start 1914 and is delayed a few years, Ottomans could actually get Reşadiye and Sultan Osman-ı Evvel.

Last edited: