Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

are there any plans to use some forces of the Greek Army in Yugoslavia or in Norhern Italy? It would be very ironic (and iconic) if Greek forces would participate in the capture of Venice or Munich.
IIRC, was mentioned that among the Allies units passing through the surrendered Bulgarian capital, towards German occupied Yugoslavia, were Greek units. So, as among those Allied Armies that disembarked in Normandie there were a Greek army... So, if I'm not miss remembering it, would be good chance that some of them would get to participate in the fighting in Germany proper.

Last edited:
fear that,at least those unable to flee, that from the all the Finnish Swedish speaking minority, would be target of the Soviet and even whatever puppet appointed regime, counter intelligence/political policy mistrust and usual institutional paranoia.

Considering that the Greeks and the Soviets were able to organize a relatively ‘civil’ ethnic cleansing for the Soviet Greek population, I see no reason why the Swedes couldn’t organize a similar deal for the Finnish and trapped Estonian Swedes

I wonder if the Russians let the Finns keep the Ingrian Finn’s ITTL to replace the Swedes that’s leave. That would make some sense since the Swedish speaking Finnish population was such a large minority. Maybe they even send the rest the Russians still have as well. That’s really probably only 80,000 people total but it would help offset the departing Swedes.

Since Bulgaria and Tyrkey have surrendered, are there any plans to use some forces of the Greek Army in Yugoslavia or in Norhern Italy? It would be very ironic (and iconic) if Greek forces would participate in the capture of Venice or Munich.
The Greek II Infantry Division under a very certain George Grivas, is fighting as part of the US IV Corps in Italy. So Venice is unlikely but Bologna and Milan are certainly a prospect. In the Balkans out of the 30 Allied divisions in Albania and Macedonia 15 are Greek. There is no chance the Greeks would be stopping at the Yugoslav border, even forgetting everything else there is a Yugoslav army fighting in the defense of Greece since 1941 and now the Greeks will stop at the border?

Now the further north Allied armies go the more supply issues the face till they restore and expand that single railroad line going north from Thessaloniki while you also likely see the Yugoslav army expanding rapidly in numbers. Which means some of the Allied divisions moved to other fronts. I'd expect the first to go would be the French since there would be political reasons to retain the British 10th Army in the Balkans. After the French, you could well see additional Greek divisions in Italy.
Yeah I think the Swedish speakers in Finland prob either get deported or they'd flee to other western countries at the very least.
I expect they are not the only ones fleeing but yes.
especially when the Soviet navy has always been weaker than the American one, and the Soviets would know that. I think the Soviets would be focused on submarines and relatively small missile-loaded platforms to keep the American navy away.
In the Baltic likely you see small ships, mines and submarines. OTL I'd note that the Swedes did not decommission their last modern cruiser (built in 1947) till 1971 when it was sold to Chile and maintained a strong destroyer force into the early 1980s, in 1978 when they start decommissioning them they had a dozen ships in service built between 1943 and 1958. The Soviets and their satellites have to match this. At a minimum Swedish construction is likely higher TTL with the Oland and Halland class ships cancelled in OTL likely built.
I think the Soviets would still try a few things at first, and back down when they realise they can do nothing about it.
Stalin appeared to have different ideas as evidenced by the 81,000t Project 24 battleships he wanted or the Stalingrad class actually laid down. Or for that matter the dozens of Sverdlov cruisers planned. It it was not just Stalin one notes. Kuznetsov was planning aircraft carriers (Project 85, 28,400t each) when Khrushchev sacked him and Gorshkov DID build a blue water navy second only to USN. Why the Soviets would concede the playing field TTL just on account of having to deal with the Swedes on top of everyone else... who they planned to fight anyway in case of WW3?

Well, I think that it may be a safe to presume that given that TTL Sweden decided to enter in the war that in its aftermath, it would feel threatened enough as for that her govt. would seek a closer military and political links with the Wallies.
This bears the question why Sweden did not join NATO in the first place in OTL? I've read at least one book (Raymond Cartier in his Post-war world history) claiming Sweden backed down in the face of Soviet threats. Post that in OTL Osten Unden was foreign minister of Sweden from July 1945 to... 1962 and was opposed to both joining NATO and nuclear weapons and quite pro-Soviet even supporting the annexation of the Baltic states. (At the same time he was adopting a policy of telling the military to make any deal they liked with the west as long as it was nder the table)

Also in OTL in 1948-49 you had negotiations for a Scandinavian defensive alliance that collapsed when Norway chose NATO instead. Here two questions arise. Is Norwegian policy affected if Sweden has actually liberated/helped liberate it TTL and do the negotiations come earlier TTL? Of course as Scandinavian Union does not preclude all three countries joining NATO as well...

Do we have any Swedish readers? @Khan Doomy ? I seem to recall you did a bit of work on Scandinavia.

Perhaps, but, I'd guess that it would depend, on their formal/assigned status and if they would be formally annexed. And if so, only in case that these clashes would happen and only if these would be important enough or if these would scalate so much, that Sweden may recur to invoke it
I short of doubt a communist Finland will be taking well to losing Aland. If nothing else it is a great way to direct nationalist fervor against the west, And given what was going on in OTL... I mean you have at least half a dozen incidents of the Swedish navy depth charching Soviet subs real or otherwise
I largely agree though even the SS found the Ustaše barbaric, what I meant was that unlike the Greek, British, Dominion and American forces that make up the rest of the Allied Armies invading Nazi Europe from the South and West the Serb Army is behaving in a more "war crimey" way though not as bad as the Germans, Hungarians etc.
The Greeks did understand the value of public relations in ways the Serbs somehow were oblivious to...

I short of doubt a communist Finland will be taking well to losing Aland. If nothing else it is a great way to direct nationalist fervor against the west, And given what was going on in OTL... I mean you have at least half a dozen incidents of the Swedish navy depth charching Soviet subs real or otherwise
Speaking of Aland, would it be directly annexed by Sweden or would the Swedes set up a non-communist Free Finland there?

Speaking of Aland, would it be directly annexed by Sweden or would the Swedes set up a non-communist Free Finland there?
In 1919 95% of the population wanted to unite with Sweden and the matter went to the League of Nations when the Finnish government refused to cede the islands. Support for Finland may well have been increased in the intervening years but still in all likelihood a very comfortable majority will want to join Sweden. The Swedes wanting a Finnish Taiwan there seems to me similar to Greece wanting Cyprus as home to a Turkish Taiwan with Anatolia gone communist. Besides which if it is part of "Free Finland challenging the authority of Helsinki" what happens when the army and navy of the Democratic Republic of Finland come guns blazing Taiwan straits crisis style? If the Swedes are in alt-NATO and intervene this is not covered by article 5. At best you get article 4.

Edit: typo fixed

Last edited:
In 1919 95% of the population wanted to unite with Finland and the matter went to the League of Nations when the Finnish government refused to cede the islands. Support for Finland may well have been increased in the intervening years but still in all likelihood a very comfortable majority will want to join Sweden. The Swedes wanting a Finnish Taiwan there seems to me similar to Greece wanting Cyprus as home to a Turkish Taiwan with Anatolia gone communist. Besides which if it is part of "Free Finland challenging the authority of Helsinki" what happens when the army and navy of the Democratic Republic of Finland come guns blazing Taiwan straits crisis style? If the Swedes are in alt-NATO and intervene this is not covered by article 5. At best you get article 4.

All of this is accurate and doesn’t even touch on what might be the biggest issue for such a country, it’s tiny size. Taiwan works because it’s the size of Belgium and has a large population. A free Finland based around the Alands would basically be an oceanic Lichtenstein and have about as much chance of standing against a significant military force. It’s would be a drain on its Allies resources to keep it a float. If they even could.

The Greeks did understand the value of public relations in ways the Serbs somehow were oblivious to...

I'm not sure I agree, I doubt Serb war crimes against Kosovars (and other groups further to the north) will get all that much coverage during the war because

a. War time censorship will restrict criticism of an ally (see OTL coverage of the USSR)
b. Limited space (there was a lot going on around the world in late 1944)
c. A willingness to accept the Serb line that these were Nazi collaborators (which is true) and had it coming (not how things are meant to work post Nuremberg but without wanting to bring up current politics look at threads in Chat)
d. Stereotypes about the region, the Balkan Wars before the Great War are distant history for us but senior news editors in 1944 would have been in their twenties.

If Western media largely elided over the behaviour of the Red Army in Central Europe I can't see them making a fuss about what the Serbs do in Yugoslavia and the Serb leadership, who will have spent the last few years visiting Allied capitals and talking to the media are probably smart enough to know this. Which would concern me if I was a non Serb.

Of course there will likely be a revisionist moment to expose all this a generation down the line but by then facts on the ground will have had plenty of time to solidify.

So, it looks like Stalin gains half of Turkey and Finland but so far the Allies have picked up their own half of Turkey, Albania and Bulgaria.

It doesn't seem likely that the Allies will be able to save Poland, but Yugoslavia, Romania, Hungary, Austria and Czechoslovakia are all still up for grabs with Stalin likely to take Romania and the Allies getting Yugoslavia.

So, it looks like Stalin gains half of Turkey and Finland but so far the Allies have picked up their own half of Turkey, Albania and Bulgaria.

It doesn't seem likely that the Allies will be able to save Poland, but Yugoslavia, Romania, Hungary, Austria and Czechoslovakia are all still up for grabs with Stalin likely to take Romania and the Allies getting Yugoslavia.
Speaking of Czechoslovakia, what could be interesting could be a scenario where Bohemia is a Free Czechoslovakia while Moravia+Slovakia form a Red Czechoslovakia, now you mentioned it.

Also in OTL in 1948-49 you had negotiations for a Scandinavian defensive alliance that collapsed when Norway chose NATO instead. Here two questions arise. Is Norwegian policy affected if Sweden has actually liberated/helped liberate it TTL and do the negotiations come earlier TTL? Of course as Scandinavian Union does not preclude all three countries joining NATO as well...
Well, from my perspective, I think that while it would be possible that ITTL, be given the political and military conditions as for a regional defensive alliance either between Sweden and Norway that perhaps would include Denmark, would in fact precede TTL NATO equivalent and/or to exist alongside it... I think worth to be noted that at least such alliance, may include the US 'membership' like the ANZUS Pact or British one like the 'Baghdad one', its possible anti-Soviet deterrence worth would be rather limited.
Given that would be probably that TTL Soviet occupied Finland, 'd be comparatively under a harsher repression and control than any of the Eastern Europe countries. And that,I'd doubt that that they would be allowed top any kind of more or less independent foreign policy', at very least until when orif Stalin's successor would allow it. So, seem doubtful that would be possible for the Soviet imposed Finnish regimen, to even think, to engage in any kind of political or military/naval 'initiative' without Moscow authorizing or ordering it...

Finally, I wonder if TTL Sweden would want to apply to/be eligible for TTL Plan Marshall...

The Greek II Infantry Division under a very certain George Grivas, is fighting as part of the US IV Corps in Italy. So Venice is unlikely but Bologna and Milan are certainly a prospect. In the Balkans out of the 30 Allied divisions in Albania and Macedonia 15 are Greek. There is no chance the Greeks would be stopping at the Yugoslav border, even forgetting everything else there is a Yugoslav army fighting in the defense of Greece since 1941 and now the Greeks will stop at the border?

Now the further north Allied armies go the more supply issues the face till they restore and expand that single railroad line going north from Thessaloniki while you also likely see the Yugoslav army expanding rapidly in numbers. Which means some of the Allied divisions moved to other fronts. I'd expect the first to go would be the French since there would be political reasons to retain the British 10th Army in the Balkans. After the French, you could well see additional Greek divisions in Italy.

I expect they are not the only ones fleeing but yes.

In the Baltic likely you see small ships, mines and submarines. OTL I'd note that the Swedes did not decommission their last modern cruiser (built in 1947) till 1971 when it was sold to Chile and maintained a strong destroyer force into the early 1980s, in 1978 when they start decommissioning them they had a dozen ships in service built between 1943 and 1958. The Soviets and their satellites have to match this. At a minimum Swedish construction is likely higher TTL with the Oland and Halland class ships cancelled in OTL likely built.

Stalin appeared to have different ideas as evidenced by the 81,000t Project 24 battleships he wanted or the Stalingrad class actually laid down. Or for that matter the dozens of Sverdlov cruisers planned. It it was not just Stalin one notes. Kuznetsov was planning aircraft carriers (Project 85, 28,400t each) when Khrushchev sacked him and Gorshkov DID build a blue water navy second only to USN. Why the Soviets would concede the playing field TTL just on account of having to deal with the Swedes on top of everyone else... who they planned to fight anyway in case of WW3?

This bears the question why Sweden did not join NATO in the first place in OTL? I've read at least one book (Raymond Cartier in his Post-war world history) claiming Sweden backed down in the face of Soviet threats. Post that in OTL Osten Unden was foreign minister of Sweden from July 1945 to... 1962 and was opposed to both joining NATO and nuclear weapons and quite pro-Soviet even supporting the annexation of the Baltic states. (At the same time he was adopting a policy of telling the military to make any deal they liked with the west as long as it was nder the table)

Do we have any Swedish readers? @Khan Doomy ? I seem to recall you did a bit of work on Scandinavia.

I was but I do not read Swedish, I can ask for sources Lascaris.

Plan 157
Petsamo, August 29th, 1944

The German 20th Mountain army begun to retreat into Lapland. For now the plans called for holding out Petsamo to secure its nickel supplies for the German war effort. Whether that was an advisable course of action in view of the Swedish invasion of Norway remained to be seen.

Ploesti, August 30th, 1944

The Soviet army entered the city. The wreckage of the western air campaign against the oil refineries were more than visible, with oil production down to a fifth of its prewar levels.

Shkodër, August 30th, 1944

The city was liberated by the Greek VIII Infantry division in the leftmost of the Greek front. Two days later the Greeks would cross the border into Montenegro which was already in all out revolt, with the Partisans and Chetniks fighting the Germans numbering about 35,000 men. Behind the Albania was on the verge of all out civil war with the National army and the LNC destroying surviving Balli Kombetar forces and just a step from fighting each other as both sides accused the other that instead of fighting the Ballists the were recruiting them into their own forces. But for now with large numbers of Western troops still in the country neither side was yet ready to pull the trigger...

Constantinople, August 31st, 1944

The evacuation of Constantinople by the Bulgarian army was complete. Order was now being maintained by Greek, British and a handful of French and Soviet troops on the European side and the Soviets on the Asian side. Communication between the two sides was free but very few of the Greeks and Armenians that had fled Scutari back in 1940 seemed to show much interest in returning there. The same could not be said of Turkish civilians, many apparently preferred the Asian side to what they feared would be outright Greek rule particularly in view of what had transpired since 1941.

Danube, September 1st, 1944

Soviet troops crossed the Danube into Bulgaria, reinforcing the Soviet forces that had reached the country by sea. The bulk of the Soviet army though was pursuing the Germans westwards towards Hungary.

Serbia, September 2nd, 1944

The Greek XVI Infantry Division under general Demetrios Psarros liberated Nis. The Allied advance north was in full swing even though by now it had to take ever more strenuous efforts to keep the advancing troops in supply. American and New Zealand engineering troops were doing prodigies repairing the Yugoslav railroad network and double-tracking the line from Thessaloniki to Nis and Belgrade but the speed of the Allied advance was outpacing their efforts. Greek and Bulgarian engineers were fast at work, not without some grumbling into finishing the connection between the Bulgarian and Greek railroad networks in the Strymon valley, the alternative for using the Bulgarian rail network was shipping supplies to Alexandroupolis and Constantinople, but it would take some time till the link was complete.

Bucharest, September 2nd, 1944

The Romanian government received the news that Hungary had declared war against it and Hungarian troops had entered Southern Transylvania with indifference if not outright jubilation. The formal armistice signed in Moscow with the Allies mattered more.

East of Oslo, September 4th, 1944

The German 270th Infantry Division joined the defense of Oslo. The Swedish thrusts against Trondheim and Mo-i-Rana had been stopped cold by numerically superior German forces. LXX corps defending Oslo was faring rather worse with its four divisions outnumbered nearly three to one by the Swedes and also having to face the bulk of the Swedish armor and air support. Urgently dispatching the 14th Luftwaffe Field Division from Trondheim had somewhat remedied the situation but the Swedish had still pushed 33 km since the start of the war. And worse yet the Germans were not the only ones bringing in reinforcements as the Swedes, concerned by the slowing pace of their advance threw into the fight the divisions and armor they held in reserve, bringing the total number of men fighting the Germans to nearly 340,000 men.

Belgium, September 5th, 1944

Two days earlier the British 2nd Army had liberated Brussels. Now British armor liberated Antwerp and most importantly intact, a major coup since the Allied advance in France was starting to outrun their ability to supply their forces. But utilizing the port would require clearing the Scheldt river estuary first, a task given to the Canadian army. Meanwhile there was considerable debate in the Allied high command on how to proceed with the offensive against Germany with both O'Connor and Patton asking to be given priority of supply, Eisenhower unhelpfully insisting on a broad front strategy that led to both ending under-supplied and increasing political pressure to put the recently formed 1st Allied Airborne Army with its 6 airborne divisions to use...

Saarland, September 7th, 1944

The missile rose in a pillar of fire. Minutes later it would hit liberated Paris slightly over 300 km away. Two more missiles fired against Paris would fail to reach their target. The next day the first V2 launched from the Hague would him London killing half a dozen civilians. Ballistic missiles had just turned from a curiosity to a serious weapon of war. A cost effective one for the huge resources Germany had thrown into them? That was a different question. But the British government had reasons to be concerned. V-1s were already a hedache, and they could be shot down by fast fighter aircraft and anti-aircraft guns. The new V-2s were impossible to intercept. The only way to protect London was to push the Germans beyond their missiles range...

Paris, September 9th, 1944

The French provisional government reorganized and formally established itself in Paris once more. The previous day the Belgian government had returned to liberated Brussels. The next day Luxembourg would be liberated in turn.

Britain, September 10th, 1944

Testing of the new Supermarine Spiteful, a heavily modified Spitfire with a laminar flow wing and a Griffon engine capable of reaching 777 km/h continued, the aircraft had made its first flight back in March. If all went well the first production Spiteful would fly in the coming January and Spitfire production lines would gradually convert to the newer variant afterwards.

Apennines, September 10th, 1944

The advance of the US 5th army had so far been mostly checked by the German 14th army. But with the British 8th army further east making increasing gains the Americans, anfd the Greeks, Irish, Brazilians and Italians under the 5th Army's command would launch one more push to break through the mountains...

Quebec, September 12th, 1944

The US and British governments came together for one more conference to coordinate policy. Agreement would be reached on the role of the Royal Navy in the war against Japan, the progress of the war in Europe made it possible to move an even larger portion of the fleet east, and continuation of US lend lease to Britain. The plans drafted by Henry Morgenthau for the future of Germany had been a more difficult pill to shallow and the future occupation zones in Germany a matter of contention, as both Britain and USA wanted to control the northern of the two western zones with the southern assigned to the other. Roosevelt might have had relented were it not for Churchill's raising again the matter of the future of Constantinople and the straits in the aftermath of the events of the city's liberation. With the two matters becoming intertwined Roosevelt would not budge on both. In the end compromise was reached with the US being assigned the northern occupation zone of Germany and Britain the southern occupation zone as the Americans desired...

Helsinki, September 13th, 1944

The newly formed "anti-fascist" provisional government of Finland under president Otto Kuusinen signed the official armistice between Finland, the Soviet Union and Britain. Finland was to pay $300 million in war reparations to the Soviet Union, declare war on Germany, and accept the 1940 borders. It could had been worse as Kuusinen had managed to convince Stalin against the proposals of some in the Soviet government to extend the borders beyond these of 1940 to include Viipuri and Petsamo.

Warsaw, September 13th, 1944

After six weeks the first Soviet aircraft begun dropping supplies to the rebels but they still refused letting Western planes to use Soviet air bases.

The newly formed "anti-fascist" provisional government of Finland under president Otto Kuusinen signed the official armistice between Finland, the Soviet Union and Britain. Finland was to pay $300 million in war reparations to the Soviet Union, declare war on Germany, and accept the 1940 borders. It could had been worse as Kuusinen had managed to convince Stalin against the proposals of some in the Soviet government to extend the borders beyond these of 1940 to include Viipuri and Petsamo.
Considering that this provisional government by Finland is explicitly run by a Communist, the Cold War is going to start even quicker than OTL, isn’t it? Keep in mind that even IOTL, the initial governments of Hungary, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, and Romania were ostensibly headed by non-communists before full Sovietization occurred (Yugoslavia and Albania were explicitly headed by Communists but that was because they had their own native revolutions going on).

Well that’s about as good a deals as Finland was gonna get so I’m not gonna complain. I’m interested to see what happens on the minorities front. Hopefully it’s equally good for Finland

Quebec, September 12th, 1944

The US and British governments came together for one more conference to coordinate policy. Agreement would be reached on the role of the Royal Navy in the war against Japan, the progress of the war in Europe made it possible to move an even larger portion of the fleet east, and continuation of US lend lease to Britain. The plans drafted by Henry Morgenthau for the future of Germany had been a more difficult pill to shallow and the future occupation zones in Germany a matter of contention, as both Britain and USA wanted to control the northern of the two western zones with the southern assigned to the other. Roosevelt might have had relented were it not for Churchill's raising again the matter of the future of Constantinople and the straits in the aftermath of the events of the city's liberation. With the two matters becoming intertwined Roosevelt would not budge on both. In the end compromise was reached with the US being assigned the northern occupation zone of Germany and Britain the southern occupation zone as the Americans

Roosevelt continues to be willingly blind to the issues the Soviets present. Which is accurate to OTL, but it’s more frustrating here where there’s greater opportunity to take a stronger position for the coming Cold War. Hopefully it doesn’t condemn some innocent country to being behind the iron curtain.

Brazilians

Huh. I wonder if the European war probably ending earlier speeds up the change of power in Brazil. Considering Vargas’s treatment of the expeditionary force vets played a part in why they military was angry and wary of him I wouldn’t be surprised. Probably doesn’t really change anything major though.

increasing political pressure to put the recently formed 1st Allied Airborne Army with its 6 airborne divisions to use...

Please no Market Garden, please no Market Garden, please no Market Garden …

Bucharest, September 2nd, 1944

The Romanian government received the news that Hungary had declared war against it and Hungarian troops had entered Southern Transylvania with indifference if not outright jubilation. The formal armistice signed in Moscow with the Allies mattered more.

Yeah I don’t think Hungary is gonna keep that for long.

Behind the Albania was on the verge of all out civil war with the National army and the LNC destroying surviving Balli Kombetar forces and just a step from fighting each other as both sides accused the other that instead of fighting the Ballists the were recruiting them into their own forces. But for now with large numbers of Western troops still in the country neither side was yet ready to pull the trigger...

I really wouldn’t be surprised if the National Army cooked up some False Flag attack by the LNC. None of her neighbors want the communists in charge so I can’t see them investigating much before supporting them.

Well that’s about as good a deals as Finland was gonna get so I’m not gonna complain. I’m interested to see what happens on the minorities front. Hopefully it’s equally good for Finland
Even if having Kuusinen be the formal leader of the whole thing instead of being headed nominally by a non-communist (like Bela Miklos in Hungary, Benes in Czechoslovakia, or Georgiev in Bulgaria) is bound to be quite provocative.

In the end compromise was reached with the US being assigned the northern occupation zone of Germany and Britain the southern occupation zone as the Americans desired...

And it is not as if Churchill would encourage bavarian separatism, right ? It is not that he loves Germany so much that he wants more Germanies.

Kuusinen means the Finish Democratic Republic set up during the Winter War is coming back which might have some interesting effects on historiography. It's notable that the Soviets aren't even pretending about the nature of the new government and have installed someone who left Finland in 1919.

Good to see that Constantinople is Greek held and interesting that ethnic sorting is already occurring.

Also it looks like Bulgaria might also have an West-East split if current troop locations solidify into two occupation zones.

Kuusinen means the Finish Democratic Republic set up during the Winter War is coming back which might have some interesting effects on historiography. It's notable that the Soviets aren't even pretending about the nature of the new government and have installed someone who left Finland in 1919.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Soviets, when they take Hungary, explicitly proclaim a revival of the Hungarian Soviet Republic instead of keeping around the Second Hungarian Republic for a few years with the Finnish precedent in mind.

Interesting developments. We have (or will have) a minor civil war in Albania but the National Army will probably win, since all the neighbouring countries will be non communist.
Concerning Constantinople, since Americans won the debate on the German occupation zones, it is fair to assume that the British arguments won in the case of Constantinople, which is good for Greece.
Glad to see the Greek Army playing a significant part in the liberation of Yugoslavia.
Finally, Finland got a better than hoped for agreement in territorial terms BUT there will be a fully communist government. Oh boy, we are going to have a not so Cold War in the Baltic.