Chapter 1
Chapter 1: Death of a Prominent American
8200338A.jpg

President Lafayette
“I have missed the Fourth, it is fitting that I have caught this day. Poetic.”
-the last entry of Lafayette’s journal, transcribed by Thomas Jefferson.
In no more than five paragraphs, briefly describe the life and death of a prominent American and determine whether the significance of their life is reflected in the manner in which they died.
Samantha Hamilton
Mrs. Well
U.S. History II
3/16/2012

President Lafayette is easily one of the most interesting and influential figures in American history. Born into a noble family in France, Lafayette had no reason to support the cause of liberty beyond it being the right thing to do and yet, by the end of his life he was transformed into what many regard as the epitome of an American folk hero and one of the greatest defenders of freedom the world has ever seen. One of the most prominent leaders of the American Revolution, his military and administrative genius was critical in securing the new nation’s independence. For a nation he was not born to, he gave everything. In Thomas Jefferson’s words, “...he was not a Frenchman, I dare say he was the most American of us all [the Founding Fathers].”

America to Lafayette was not just a nation, it was freedom. When he returned to France at the end of the American Revolution, he became a prominent figure in the French Revolution and a symbol of the marriage of the New World ideals of liberty and democracy with the Old World traditions. When he was hounded out of France in his daring escape across the Atlantic in 1792 because he spoke out against anarchy in the young French democracy, he did not lie down and in fact, he longed to one day bring freedom to France once again. Unfortunately for Lafayette, he would not live to see the rebirth of French democracy.

His Presidency oversaw the acquisition of Florida, the finalization of borders with British Canada, the stabilization of the economy and the beginning of the expansion of rights to the American people. And to the people of America, he was more than just a President, he was representative of what it means to be American and his colossal significance and influence simply cannot be described in five paragraphs. Lafayette’s death though, is what I must examine, and it has been established that Lafayette was so clearly the epitome of an American, it is fitting that his death should thus be so poetic.

Lafayette’s last words, to Alexander Hamilton; from the firsthand account by Thomas Jefferson.

“...it was then that the Marquis’ last words were uttered

‘Alexander [Hamilton]… mon ami, j’ai bien vécu?’ (“my friend, have I lived well?”)

to which the Secretary was lost for words but ultimately (I?) replied for him

‘My friend, none have lived better.’

and the Secretary, as dauntless a man as I have ever met, was broken for tears.

As were I.”

Comforted by two of his lifelong friends, Lafayette, the youngest one in the room, passed away on the 14th of July, 1822, Bastille Day. Lafayette's death fit his life perfectly: monumental, poetic and most of all, free.

Edit: If that French is incorrect I apologize, I’m going off of my two weeks of trying to learn French and one of those translation websites so :(

Last edited:
So...Lafayette leaves after the American Revolution, so 1783ish, yet returns 10 years later in 1792/1793? Which means he missed the entire constitutional convention which would make him an American citizen...so how the hell does he get to be President if he is not an American citizen?

I mean, this is a really good idea, but unless Lafayette hangs around for the 1787-1789 Constitutional Convention and helps write said constitution to make him an American Citizen, (like Hamilton) - He cannot be President.

So...Lafayette leaves after the American Revolution, so 1783ish, yet returns 10 years later in 1792/1793? Which means he missed the entire constitutional convention which would make him an American citizen...so how the hell does he get to be President if he is not an American citizen?

I mean, this is a really good idea, but unless Lafayette hangs around for the 1787-1789 Constitutional Convention and helps write said constitution to make him an American Citizen, (like Hamilton) - He cannot be President.

Fair point friend. :)

To answer your question directly...
In 1784 the State of Maryland passed a law that gave the Marquis de Lafayette (and his male descendants but that’s not important ITTL) citizenship of said state. It’s an issue that actually will be risen when Lafayette actually does go down the path to become President but
the Supreme Court will rule that state citizenship = automatic federal citizenship when the case comes up. Since the act giving him citizenship was already in effect at the time of the adoption of the Constitution, presto, according to the Supreme Court, he’s a citizen :)

Edit: left out the key bit

Fair point friend. :)

To answer your question directly...
In 1784 the State of Maryland passed a law that gave the Marquis de Lafayette (and his male descendants but that’s not important ITTL) citizenship of said state. It’s an issue that actually will be risen when Lafayette actually does go down the path to become President but
the Supreme Court will rule that state citizenship = automatic federal citizenship when the case comes up.

Interesting path to take. That's actually really cool.

Unless you get rid of Lafayette's Catholicism I do not know if this can happen (and if he abjures the faith in TTL, his beloved wife Adrienne might have disowned him). The prejudice is/was ingrained in early American thought and life. There was a reason America did not have a Catholic President till 1960 (and even that was iffy) and has not had one since.

Unless you get rid of Lafayette's Catholicism I do not know if this can happen (and if he abjures the faith in TTL, his beloved wife Adrienne might have disowned him). The prejudice is/was ingrained in early American thought and life. There was a reason America did not have a Catholic President till 1960 (and even that was iffy) and has not had one since.

Again, a fair point, one that gets resolved.

Just like with the previous issue, of citizenship, it will definitely be an issue, but there are ways to overcome it, not easily mind you, but it will be seen relatively soon.