Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

I liked this chapter, it's good to see Japan increase it's literacy and what effects this has on the country, hopefully this will allow the creation of a bureaucracy in the Chinese style in order to better administer the state from a centralized power version, plus more people learning to read and write will create more works of stuff like philosophy and religion which could generate new discussions about them(or potential heretic ideas that become their own problem)

This was a very nice chapter I particular y found the parody of aesop funny, also hope that Wagaku don't result in something like the nacionalism of otl imperial Japan but in a less dangerous form of national pride

I wonder what of Aesop's fables are satirised, and then how the attacks against those are formulated: perhaps, mainly from applying Buddhist truths and other principles to produce said subversions?

Wait, this is base and erotic ukiyo-zoshi we are talking about. I can almost imagine the frog wanting to seduce the ox from there.

Last edited:
Great writing! Will the Ryukyus be a part of the Azuchi domains or remain independent?
How is industrialization going to be in this Japan?

Any impact on Japanese art and Architecture due to European Influence? Will we see any artists from Europe visiting Japan? Early Yoga Paintings?

In Canon Buddhism was suppressed by chosen Dynasty in Korea due to Neo Confuciusism Influence? So when Christianity entered the stage Buddhism unable to fight against it properly and later Japanese Buddhism tried to subsume Korean Buddhism which they tired to resist particularly incase of marriage among priests. Was there anybchanges in case of Korean Buddhism in thus timeline?

Any changes in case of Tibet?

How women impacted by those changes?

P.S. I thought Panchatantra will better option due to its ties with india.

Last edited:
I wonder what Alaska and Northern California will be named in this timeline (given the fact that Japan is likely to be the one to explore them)

Hello,

I am looking to see how things develop in terms of linguistics. It seems obvious that the Japanese understand Dutch owing to their interactions with the Netherlands. Bu there may be an important development down the road. Since England is taking a lesser role in North America, English may not spread as far as in OTL. So, I look to see what language, or even two or more, will become common enough to facilitate communication between different states.

Late response but love this chapter and the development of Japanese culture and science. With the Scientific Revolution underway in Japan, I wonder if Japan can produce their own scientists (Like with astronomers, geographers or physicians, etc.) of their own in the next decades, and maybe even any Japanese inventions, medicines, scientific/medical innovations and techniques that can catch the eye of Westerners?

Also, since we're on the topic of science, we've learn of the Developoment of science in Japan, but what about science in Ming China or Joseon Korea? The later of which, while far from the days of Sejong the Great, since the Imjin War never occurred ITTL, a lot of historical archives, cultural and scientific artifacts survived (Such as a lot of inventions from Jang Yeong-sil)

This was a very nice chapter I particular y found the parody of aesop funny, also hope that Wagaku don't result in something like the nacionalism of otl imperial Japan but in a less dangerous form of national pride
I didn't know about Aesop's Fables being the only Western literature to get translated IOTL during the Edo Period, so the parody is TTL's cherry on top of that particular development.​
I wonder what of Aesop's fables are satirised, and then how the attacks against those are formulated: perhaps, mainly from applying Buddhist truths and other principles to produce said subversions?

Wait, this is base and erotic ukiyo-zoshi we are talking about. I can almost imagine the frog wanting to seduce the ox from there.
Ukiyo-zoshi weren't necessarily erotic, although many were. Other subgenres focused on the lives and perspectives of townspeople and samurai so the parody kinda combines a bit of everything, some eroticism, some Buddhist philosophy, some Japanese PoV, etc.​
Great writing! Will the Ryukyus be a part of the Azuchi domains or remain independent?
How is industrialization going to be in this Japan?
The Ryukyu Kingdom is functionally independent but within the Japanese and Ming spheres of influence. Japan being a tributary of Ming China prevents it from subjugating the Ryukyu archipelago without risking war with Beijing.

Regarding Japanese industrialization, that's still something whose details I gotta sort out. Japan is experiencing proto-industrialization the same way it did during the Edo Period but just at a slightly faster pace along with the added influx of overseas commerce and expansion.​
Any impact on Japanese art and Architecture due to European Influence? Will we see any artists from Europe visiting Japan? Early Yoga Paintings?

In Canon Buddhism was suppressed by chosen Dynasty in Korea due to Neo Confuciusism Influence? So when Christianity entered the stage Buddhism unable to fight against it properly and later Japanese Buddhism tried to subsume Korean Buddhism which they tired to resist particularly incase of marriage among priests. Was there anybchanges in case of Korean Buddhism in thus timeline?

Any changes in case of Tibet?

How women impacted by those changes?

P.S. I thought Panchatantra will better option due to its ties with india.
IOTl, some rangaku scholars did incorporate Western painting styles and substances during the Edo Period to create very unique art so it's definitely gonna happen here but sooner for sure.

In terms of Korean Buddhism, state persecution and suppression is definitely more relaxed because of lesser neo-Confucian influence but it hasn't been outright reversed or abolished. From my understanding, the intense suppression is more characteristic of the early Joseon period anyway and that it lessened IOTL for other reasons. I'll look into more.

There's a chance that a few Japanese Buddhist monks have visited Tibet by now. Other than that, not really any changes for now.

Women within Japanese society haven't really been affected by TTL's changes with the possible exception of the Ooku systems within the castles of daimyo lords and (in this case the daijo-daijin), and I'm hoping to insert something on that in a future chapter.

I chose Aesop's Fables because it was already translated into Japanese in 1593 IOTL and somehow survived state repression and suppression throughout the Edo period.
I wonder what Alaska and Northern California will be named in this timeline (given the fact that Japan is likely to be the one to explore them)
The main question is whether they would be considered different entities ITTL by the Japanese.
Literacy go brrr
With that, as long no disaster happens, Japan has set itself up for success in the modern age
Was there ever any doubt?
Hello,

I am looking to see how things develop in terms of linguistics. It seems obvious that the Japanese understand Dutch owing to their interactions with the Netherlands. Bu there may be an important development down the road. Since England is taking a lesser role in North America, English may not spread as far as in OTL. So, I look to see what language, or even two or more, will become common enough to facilitate communication between different states.
Maybe French?
Why printing press/woodblock usage evolved in this way and not as IOTL? Were artisans less valued?
Artisans weren't less valued (if anything it was the opposite in some cases) but it's because of higher literary demand, greater Western influence, and the stronger say wealthy merchants have in Japan ITTL.
Late response but love this chapter and the development of Japanese culture and science. With the Scientific Revolution underway in Japan, I wonder if Japan can produce their own scientists (Like with astronomers, geographers or physicians, etc.) of their own in the next decades, and maybe even any Japanese inventions, medicines, scientific/medical innovations and techniques that can catch the eye of Westerners?
Seeing as how rangaku took off IOTL, I don't see why a crop of Japanese scientists and physicians wouldn't be able to use their knowledge and make advances on their own that could then spread back to Europe as well as to other realms closer to home.
Also, since we're on the topic of science, we've learn of the Developoment of science in Japan, but what about science in Ming China or Joseon Korea? The later of which, while far from the days of Sejong the Great, since the Imjin War never occurred ITTL, a lot of historical archives, cultural and scientific artifacts survived (Such as a lot of inventions from Jang Yeong-sil)
It looks like a Ming-Joseon chapter on that subject is warranted down the line as well as on culture, arts, and society.

The first thing that I'm reminded of is Cyberpunk...
tbf its prob Arasuka, that's what wiki says and I think it fits better.
Ooh this is a really interesting chapter! With the different things happening during this period, stuff like kanazochi and increased literacy would do well for Japan and cause it to be on the top in Asia.

tbf I do see some ppl pushing for hiragana only literacy as 'good enough' due to these books. After all, restricting movable type to only one writing system would be cheaper in general. Especially more europhillic ppl who see alphabet only systems as feasible, and with some tweaks of Hiragana it would work.

As you've said its not feasible, but with this Japan I do see some ppl pushing it for various reasons.
tbf I think as time passes and we get stuff like the natural philosophies/sciences as a class I think wagaku would be more focused on Japanese literature and maaaaybe some Japanese history.
IOTl, some rangaku scholars did incorporate Western painting styles and substances during the Edo Period to create very unique art so it's definitely gonna happen here but sooner for sure.
there are western building styles that predominantly use wood but I don't see them being popular in Japan due to it not being 'high class buildings'. But I defo do see Japanese style buildings being a fad in the west tho. Like noble houses in Japanese style?
Seeing as how rangaku took off IOTL, I don't see why a crop of Japanese scientists and physicians wouldn't be able to use their knowledge and make advances on their own that could then spread back to Europe as well as to other realms closer to home.
I could see you making technology a bit more advanced than otl (like at most a decade) due to Japanese inventions going back to Europe, and you can make Japan discover similar things around the time the Europeans discover them too, bc even in Europe ppl often did come up with similar ideas and discover similar things almost at the same time.

You could have Japanese biologists discovering evolution and natural selection earlier, or independently develop different gun/gunpowder tech for example. Or the elements and their version of the elemental table.
Women within Japanese society haven't really been affected by TTL's changes with the possible exception of the Ooku systems within the castles of daimyo lords and (in this case the daijo-daijin), and I'm hoping to insert something on that in a future chapter.
tbf I'd think they would already be major differences. I'd imagine that the Oda shogunate would have greater women's rights than otl (no permits for travel for example), and increased literacy in general would mean quite a few women would be writing books, documenting stuff and discovering things, even if they do so with a male alias.
It looks like a Ming-Joseon chapter on that subject is warranted down the line as well as on culture, arts, and society.
tbf I'd really like to see the differences for Joseon. I just hope China still is conservative, if only for them to slide back to isolationism so that Japan could influence SEA while Joseon could influence Manchuria.

tbf I'd really like to see the differences for Joseon. I just hope China still is conservative, if only for them to slide back to isolationism so that Japan could influence SEA while Joseon could influence Manchuria.
IMO, I don't. Instead I want to see Chinese-Japanese compete for hegemony in proxy wars as they compete for influence in SEA by backing various countries against one another like Taungoo Empire and Ayutthaya. Imagine the chaos.

Also, want to see more of the development of Han Chinese culture and European interactions, without the Qing ITTL

IMO, I don't. Instead I want to see Chinese-Japanese compete for hegemony in proxy wars as they compete for influence in SEA by backing various countries against one another like Taungoo Empire and Ayutthaya. Imagine the chaos.

Also, want to see more of the development of Han Chinese culture and European interactions, without the Qing ITTL
The emperor that we have rn is a terrible emperor in otl, and to solve China's problems of having an overcentralised beaucracy that is very conservative and resistant to change is very much why I don't want it to develop into a nation that would be able to modernise until much later.

The Ming also were pushing for isolationism long before the Qing, in fact the Qing basically adopted the system and became the Qing we knew.

Other than that, I've read way too many tls where China gets stronger alongside the Japanese, and I'd like to see a tl where that's not the case.

Gimme TL where Canton gets stronger alongside the japanese 😎
Canton isn't exactly China is it? China includes Canton, but it also includes the Northern Chinese plain, which makes it way stronger.

A Canton that leaves China would be interesting though.