Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

Head-taking and head ceremonies have been a declining practice, especially in foreign wars because overseas armies are less divided by clan and more of a combination of various retinues and elite units and the tangible rewards are less so there’s less usage for advancement. Additionally, with infantry units increasingly mostly musketeers in tightly formed ranks it’s not such a practical thing to focus on claiming heads when you often don’t know who shot who. The Furuwatari War was probably the last conflict where those things occurred on a large scale, and during the Asiatic Northern War it occurred only sparingly and only with high-ranking enemy generals. The practice will die out completely within the next few conflicts outside of the samurai cavalry where it’s still a common if waning tradition.
Thank you for answering my question.

Speaking of Samurai cavalry and Elite Units, with the various wars, has there ever been any "Special Units" or Elite troops that distinguished themselves and gotten special names? Sort of like Takeda Shingen's or OTL II Naomasa's Akazonae, or the Chosokabe's Ichiryō gusoku.

Or any groups of Samurai that distinguished themselves enough to get group nicknamed (retrospectively) like Shigen's "Twenty-Four Generals", or OTL Hideyoshi's "Seven Spears of Shizugatake", or Ieyasu's OTL "Four Heavenly Kings"

Last edited:
Chapter 121: Mainland Asia after the Asiatic Northern War

Chapter 121: Mainland Asia after the Asiatic Northern War

Coming out of the Asiatic Northern War, Emperor Yongwu was riding high, having asserted dominance despite not participating in the conflict. Once a child emperor controlled by a regency, he contained within him an overriding ambition to hold absolute power as well as a distrust of the Confucian scholar bureaucracy. In time, this personality trait would prove to be a double-edged sword but for the time being, Yongwu would combine this with his cunning and intelligence to impress upon Ming China, Beijing, and beyond his prowess with much success, especially upon neighboring realms.

After the Treaty of Shenyang, China wrapped up its military campaigns against the Dzungar-Yuan onslaught that had been taking place since 1665, forcing both Abunai of the Northern Yuan and Sengge of the Dzungar Khanate to submit and become tributaries in 1671. Both rulers would subsequently never take up arms against Yongwu again, the former passing away in 1675 and the latter succumbing to battle wounds mere months after his submission. With that, the emperor now exerted influence over the eastern and northern frontiers like no other Ming sovereign had for centuries. This success coincided with Beijing’s assistance of the 1669 recapture of Albazin from Nikifor Chernvigovsky and his Russo-Cossack force, also solidifying Ming authority up there. The end of conflict affecting China’s hinterlands and surroundings would bring about an era of peace that allowed previously pillaged tracts of countryside inside the empire to recover and provide Beijing with tax revenue once again. Internally, to navigate around any intrusions by the Confucian bureaucracy, he established a particular “memorial system” where locked boxes containing letters and documents were exchanged between trusted officials in the provinces, its content forbidden to be read by anyone else. This communication system enabled Yongwu to control what those deemed untrustworthy or usurpative could access, further consolidating his absolute rule. Finally, the prestige and strength gained from the emperor’s aggressive rule allowed Yongwu to replicate his predecessor Hongguang’s grand ceremony in 1674, where he symbolically accepted the tribute of all tributaries as well as the various East India companies. Beyond formal state occasions and decrees, Chinese merchants also flourished in Southeast Asia the 1670s, taking advantage of Japan’s mercantile dip that took place during the decade.​

tTX5_wUJicc0akPVaXH3CSHfgUdqqSJOSwGMSI_fmzu9zbMCpjbkXGyVf_XGt-tRqVC7a_mKPOfm1IvMOaJrvdvw5e5S206e393OS3D-vCaX5gXcBLNc1-xP_tbVVLwcI8NlK3tY7q3XICBD1QIF_n4

Depiction of the Forbidden Palace where the extravagant tribute ceremonies of Emperors Hongguang and Yongwu took place in front of​

One of the realms significantly impacted by Ming China’s rising authority was the Lesser Jin. After the war, Gutai increasingly distanced himself from Joseon’s sphere of influence, choosing to accept Ming influence instead. Reflecting on the factors that had led to his ultimate failure to subjugate his northerly rival, the khan would further Sinicize Hetu Ala’s central government, importing Chinese writing as the main form of written communication and and replacing many Joseonite advisors with Han Chinese ones. The bureaucracy would also be expanded as power was centralized away from tribal chieftains and generals, and the professionalization and bureaucratization of the Eight Banners military system would begin in earnest in preparation for a future invasion of the Amur Khanate particularly with the further development of the khanate’s own gunpowder infantry units. The energetic Gutai, however, would die in 1677 before getting a chance to do so and was succeeded by his son Baichali, who was more cautious than his father and delayed plans for an invasion of the Amur Khanate. Instead, he would continue his father’s reforms, consolidating the power of the central government and keeping the realm in Beijing’s orbit.

Speaking of the Amur Khanate, it also embarked on a new path after the Treaty of Shenyang was signed under Bahai, son and heir to the slain Sahaliyan. Unlike the Lesser Jin khanate, the Amur Khanate was primarily populated by Haixi and Wild Jurchens as opposed to the predominantly Jianzhou Jurchen Lesser Jin, albeit with a ruling class of both Jianzhou and Haixi Jurchen bloodlines. As a result, its population was less based on sedentary agricultural lifestyles compared to the Lesser Jin. This made the task of centralizing the government a more difficult task especially with the official incorporation of its northernmost tundra territories. Although Bahai would pay lip service to the Ming and bring in certain Chinese influences like the Lesser Jin, the Han Chinese model would not be the one to be followed. Instead, Bahai would look towards Japan for inspiration in reforming his more decentralized political model. He brought in Japanese advisors, especially in the adaptation of efficient agricultural practices to help transition many of the peoples living on the northern frontier towards a more sedentary lifestyle. This would bring about a style of centralized feudal governance that fused both Japanese shogunal methods of governance with traditional Jurchen practices and systems, including the banner system of Jurchen militaries. The Amur Khanate also began to levy and train a professional core of gunpowder infantrymen to supplement the horse archers and heavy cavalry that encompassed the vast majority of the Amur military. Meanwhile, in its foreign policy, the Amur Khanate was colored by its ties to more advanced and powerful neighbors similar to how its domestic policies were. With Ming-Japanese support, it was able to recapture Albazin and later settle permanent borders with Russia at the Treaty of Nerchinsk after years of raids and counterraids. Even after Azuchi downsized its presence in the Amur Khanate, Japan continued to be the realm’s closest and most reliable ally.​

qP3iy-dctBfZ5bdLjzMJYqqiEN1pmpG3TxG0ofwN527KQCy0NQp7eR_bFgTZ_5YVfUoRsY-PO45wevnopGZLxOjs4XfP72mD3pATqEo42bxXkDLIa1-fQ6yhUZLlIQ3lDxlf_L_GJUZRJbvvllqkLmQ

Depiction of the Nanai people, a descendant ethnic group of the Wild Jurchens​

Nowhere was Bahai’s effort towards a more centralized and sedentary khanate more obvious than the early years of Nurgan as the new capital of the Amur Khanate, a decision made due to its distance from the realm’s borders and its status as a temporary capital during the war. Previously a 15th century Ming outpost established with the purpose of collecting tribute from the Jurchen tribes, Nurgan had evolved into a small urban settlement like the late 17th century. Its new status, however, saw a flurry of construction take place and by the 1680s, it had become a shiny new urban city beginning to attract permanent settlers and enterprising merchants. Sections of the new city were divided to separate the steppe warrior and townsfolk from one another while the center was occupied by the khan’s palace and various Buddhist temples and Shamanist shrines. Overall, it presented itself as the capital of a sedentary khanate striving to modernize and catch up with the rest of Asia and that alone encouraged many attracted to the capital to abandon their old lifestyles and embark upon new lives of their own.

Whereas Ming China and the Jurchen khanates thrived in the aftermath of the Asiatic Northern War and confidently strode towards promising destinies, Joseon would plunge into a period of decline and turbulence. Its influence over the Lesser Jin khanate mostly evaporated while the court fell into disarray as neo-Confucian scholars took over the government only to begin feuding with each other. Two factions quickly arose, a more conservative one led by Song Si-yeol and the other, more moderate faction, led by Yun Jeung. The latter specifically adhered to the Sirhak school of thought which supported reforms that responded to the plight of the people even if it meant breaking the rigid norms of neo-Confucian thought. Initially, however, the older and more experienced Song Si-yeol held the reins of power for the child king Sukjong, meaning a reversion to reactionary and conservative governance. While this saw Hanseong engage more deeply into Beijing’s orbit, Si-yeol’s politics also stalled a recovery of Joseon-Japanese relations and allowed trade with the outside world to drop. Worst of all for the kingdom, its veteran military that had valiantly protected Joseon from the Japanese was left out to dry. Because of this, the officer corps came to despise Si-yeol and his faction.​

3rp0t0K22Nx9UV4TTiOBE_k9EEulVcQzDeiNPq6iaREKm7XRCCnJVKpwEL_vyplVzhq4WTjxSMEsFsOYwvfmNg4Fucriuq_YcoAgM7sQxWv6lCvWGIX_uj7CgjgdDexcExxcUpWx7B3Cd6ETIi8HZck

Portrait of Song Si-yeol​

Tensions finally boiled over in 1680, when a group of young officers stalked the Confucian state councilor while he was taking an evening walk in the city and attempted to assassinate him. Only the presence of Si-yeol’s guards prevented his seemingly inevitable murder as the 73 year old politician managed to escape his enemies while his guards fended the officers off. Although he had survived the attempt and the officers responsible would later be rounded up and arrested, the incident was a stain on his reputation. The next year, unable to shake off the shame and still traumatized from the attempt, he resigned his post and lived 13 more years as a Buddhist monk before passing away at the age of 87. His faction, now leaderless, quickly lost power to the competing faction led by Yun Jeung and a new political agenda would be implemented. Relations with Japan would be restored while the military was fully reconciled with a government that had ignored its needs and underappreciated its contributions to the earlier war effort. By now, the king had grown up and would enthusiastically begin to preside over a new era of reforms inspired by Sirhak principles.​

Thank you for answering my question.

Speaking of Samurai cavalry and Elite Units, with the various wars, has there ever been any "Special Units" or Elite troops that distinguished themselves and gotten special names? Sort of like Takeda Shingen's or OTL II Naomasa's Akazonae, or the Chosokabe's Ichiryō gusoku.

Or any groups of Samurai that distinguished themselves enough to get group nicknamed (retrospectively) like Shigen's "Twenty-Four Generals", or OTL Hideyoshi's "Seven Spears of Shizugatake", or Ieyasu's OTL "Four Heavenly Kings"
The Konoe Cavalry is the elite cavalry unit, composed of young samurai and nobles. It was named after Konoe Tomoshige, the oldest of Oda Nobutomo's younger brothers and the imperial regent who bravely fought and fell in combat at the Battle of Fukaya during the Furuwatari War. You also had the Ainu Three Hundred who were key in Japan's naval battles during the Iberian-Japanese War and the Ainu shock troopers and cavalry employed by Sakuma Moritora.

Last edited:
Well Korea ended Best that I think I was expecting a military coup against the neo-confusians, by the way how progressive are really the moderates compared to others?

Last edited:
Very nice chapter. I love hearing about the Ming Dynasty's development.

Sidenote, since we're on the topic of the Ming Dynasty, I'm guessing with its survival, Chinese culture is drastically different, given that the Manchu Qing Dynasty never took over and reduced to a small Khanate ITTL. So, things like the Hanfu and the traditional Han Chinese Topknot never goes away (As the Queue haircut never is implanted), and I'm wondering what literature and art will be like now.

Also, Happy Chinese Lunar New Years, hope you're doing well.

@Ambassador Huntsman ! Amazing work as always
Thank you!!
Well Korea ended Best that I think I was expecting a military coup against the neo-confusians, by the way how progressive are really the moderates compared to others?
You can judge for yourself but pretty progressive actually. This is a link to Silhak, the school that has taken power
Very nice chapter. I love hearing about the Ming Dynasty's development.

Sidenote, since we're on the topic of the Ming Dynasty, I'm guessing with its survival, Chinese culture is drastically different, given that the Manchu Qing Dynasty never took over and reduced to a small Khanate ITTL. So, things like the Hanfu and the traditional Han Chinese Topknot never goes away (As the Queue haircut never is implanted), and I'm wondering what literature and art will be like now.

Also, Happy Chinese Lunar New Years, hope you're doing well.
First and foremost, Happy Lunar New Year and I actually didn’t plan to post this chapter specifically because of it on purpose lol. Anyway yeah same Chinese topknot continues. As for art and literature, I gotta look into that more.

What a Fantastic look at Mainland East Asia post-war. Will we get to see how things are in the European colonies of the Asia-Pacific Region and/or see how Southeast Asia, sans Siam, is doing?

Last edited:
I love how we see every nation in the east is affected by this. Even though China is on the upswing rn, we know that Yongwu would become worse and worse as time goes on (as per otl) so I wonder how things would go. Maybe his early achievements still keep the ming running for longer?

I like how we get the militarists back in Joseon too. It does feel that Joseon is always struggling between Confucianist elements and European militarist elements, and it feels like Joseon will be the instigator of another war soon enough. I just wonder how things would go this time round too. Its not like there aren't a lot of Koreans in Jin and Amur khanate borders ittl (as per otl)...

Me thinks a purge of the Neo-Confucianists, or rather the conservative factions therein, needs to take place further advance Joseonite society least the conservatives take back power thus letting other nations gain more power which could culminate in Joseon falling to let’s say a fully modernised Lesser Jin centuries later when China is once again in chaos.

What a Fantastic look at Mainland East Asia post-war. Will we get to see how things are in the European colonies of the Asia-Pacific Region and/or see how Southeast Asia, sans Siam, is doing?
Absolutely, though the Southeast Asian update will come first and I think probably next month.
This TL updates so fast it's crazy, but the quality never drops.
A lot of it is just careful planning and typing it out on my phone during subway trips. That being, it took a bit before I realized that my “1 chapter every 5 days “ rough schedule was actually on the very frequent end lmao.
I love how we see every nation in the east is affected by this. Even though China is on the upswing rn, we know that Yongwu would become worse and worse as time goes on (as per otl) so I wonder how things would go. Maybe his early achievements still keep the ming running for longer?

I like how we get the militarists back in Joseon too. It does feel that Joseon is always struggling between Confucianist elements and European militarist elements, and it feels like Joseon will be the instigator of another war soon enough. I just wonder how things would go this time round too. Its not like there aren't a lot of Koreans in Jin and Amur khanate borders ittl (as per otl)...
I wouldn’t say the militarists have power but rather the liberal neo-Confucians are including less elite and conservative parts of society in the governance of Joseon for the time being.

PoD Centennial Glossary of Alternate East Asian Rulers

PoD Centennial Glossary of Alternate East Asian Rulers

Emperors of Japan:

Emperor Oogimachi (正親町天皇): 1557-1586 (l. 1517-1593)
Emperor Go-Yozei (後陽成天皇): 1586-1611 (l. 1571-1627)
Emperor Go-Mizunoo (後水尾天皇): 1611-1643 (l. 1588-1672)
Emperor Tensho (天正天皇): 1643-1646 (l. 1625-1646)
Emperor Hachijo (八条天皇): 1646-1657 (l. 1630-1677)
Emperor Go-Komyo (後光明天皇): 1657-1662 (l. 1646-1724)
Emperor Takamatsu (高松天皇): 1662-1667 (l. 1647-1667)
Emperor Gosai (後西天皇): 1667- (l. 1648-present)

Daijo-daijin/Chancellors (太政大臣) of the Azuchi Daijo-fu/Chancellorate (安土太政府):

Oda Nobunaga (織田信長): 1583-1593 (l. 1534-1601)
Oda Nobutada (織田信忠): 1593-1609 (l. 1557-1609)
Oda Nobunori (織田信則): 1609-1630 (l. 1580-1630)
Oda Nobutomo (織田信朝): 1630-1649 (l. 1601-1649)
Oda Nobutsugu (織田信嗣): 1649-1653 (l. 1622-1653)
(Interregnum): 1653-1662
Kanbe Tomoyoshi (神戸朝吉): 1662-1665 (l. 1605-1672)
Oda Nobuhiro (織田信熙): 1665- (l. 1648-present)

Emperors of Ming China:

Wanli: 1572-1620 (l. 1563-1620)
Zhenchun: 1620-1641 (l. 1586-1641)
Hongguang: 1641-1651 (l. 1607-1651)
Titian: 1651-1657 (l. 1611-1657)
Yongwu: 1657- (l. 1644-present)

Kings of Joseon:

Seonjo: 1567-1608 (l. 1552-1608)
Gwanghaegun: 1608-1641 (l. 1575-1641)
Hyeonjo: 1641-1651 (1598-1651)
Sohjong: 1651-1652 (l. 1615-1652)
Gyeongseon: 1652-1668 (l. 1639-1668)
Sukjong: 1668- (l. 1659-present)

Khans of the Later Jin/Lesser Jin:

Nurhaci: 1616-1626 (1559-1626)
Abahai: 1626-1643 (1592-1643)
Hooge: 1643-1653 (1609-1653)
Gutai: 1653-1677 (1634-1677)
Baichali: 1677- (1650-present)

Khans of the Amur Khanate:

Sahaliyan: 1643-1666 (1613-1666).
Bahai: 1666- (1638-present)

Khagans of the Northern Yuan:

Zasagt Khan: 1558-1592 (l. 1539-1592)
Sechen Khan: 1592-1603 (l. 1556-1603)
Ligdan Khan: 1603-1634 (l. 1588-1634)
Ejei Khan: 1634-1641 (l. 1620-1641)
Abunai Khan: 1641-1675 (l. 1635-1675)
Borni Khan: 1675- (l. 1654-present)​

Emperor Gosai (後西天皇): 1667- (l. 1648-present)
Oda Nobuhiro (織田信熙): 1665- (l. 1648-present)
Yongwu: 1657- (l. 1644-present)
Sukjong: 1668- (l. 1659-present)
Baichali: 1677- (1650-present)
Bahai: 1666- (1638-present)
Borni Khan: 1675- (l. 1654-present)
"-present" is what? 1700?

I note that these seven current rulers succeeded at ages 19, 17, 13, 9, 27, 28, and 21, and all have reigned for at least 23 years (as of 1700) . In Europe, as of 1700, the succession ages and reign lengths of rulers were:
  • England/Scotland: William III (39, 11)
  • Netherlands: Willliam III (22, 28)
  • Spain: Charles II (4, 35)
  • Portugal: Pedro II (35, 17)
  • France: Louis XIV (5, 57)
  • Empire: Leopold I (18, 42)
  • Prussia: Frederick I (31, 12)
  • Poland: Augustus II (27, 3)
  • Sweden: Charles XII (15, 3)
  • Russia: Peter I (10, 18)
  • Turkey: Mustafa II (31, 5)
East Asia seems to have had a wave of early successions and long reigns (6 of 7). Europe has only 4 of 11.

I note that these seven current rulers succeeded at ages 19, 17, 13, 9, 27, 28, and 21, and all have reigned for at least 23 years (as of 1700) . In Europe, as of 1700, the succession ages and reign lengths of rulers were:
East Asia seems to have had a wave of early successions and long reigns (6 of 7). Europe has only 4 of 11.
I think this is the second time this happen the first was when all Ming emperor, the joseon king and the daijo-dajin ascended being kids, he I think that's a way in wich the emperor can recover some power using a regency to gain influence in the shangi shu

It’s as of 1682, 100 years after the PoD and hence the glossary being centennial of the PoD. Also some of those European rulers are different ITTL.

Ahh. Thank you. A few references to later events snuck through, so I was a little confused.

Of course. In fact they would all be butterflied; but the OTL list seemed useful for comparison.
Here's the list as of 1682:
  • England/Scotland: Charles II (24, 28)
  • Netherlands: Willliam III (16, 16)
  • Spain: Charles II (4, 17)
  • Portugal: Afonso VI (13, 26)
  • France: Louis XIV (5, 39)
  • Empire: Leopold I (18, 24)
  • Brandenburg-Prussia: Frederick William (20, 42)
  • Poland-Lithuania: John III Sobieski (44, 9)
  • Sweden: John IV Sigismund (13, 32)
  • Russia: Peter I (10, 0)/Ivan V (16,0)
  • Turkey: Mehmed IV (6, 34)