No Southern Strategy: The Political Ramifications of an Alternate 1964 Election

>Be Evan Mecham
>Split from the National Conservatives because they won’t make you VP again
>Go home and form your own political party that’s best description is “NatCons but more incoherent”
>Said party does nothing but piss John McCain and some “establishment” NatCons off
>Kinda fade into corruption allegations
>1992 rolls around
>Anti-Semite and outlandish congressman runs
>Loses primary because he spends like 3 bucks
>Instead of a Jew-basher a Homo-basher is nominated for VP
>Some Lib calls said congressman vile
>Hmmmm

Guys I think Evan Mecham is the real winner here
Also, I’m disappointed Ed Clark wasn’t nominated with 100% of the Republican vote, but he made half the delegates vote for Ron Paul in order to stop a cult of personality

Maybe this is the one—we won't know until they post it!

Speaking of which (and feel absolutely free to crucify me for asking this), do you have any idea of a tentative time frame for the actual election update itself? I'm not trying to rush either of you guys at all, but the two months of uncertainty between today and the last update have left me and, presumably, my fellow readers chomping at our collective bits for MOOOAAAR!

tumblr_m0fexdMsib1qi66kho1_500.gif

Oh yeah... that was the plan... yeah... right @Nofix... *laughs nervously*

In all seriousness everyone probably isn't going to have to wait two months for the next update... Rather I'm afraid it'll be three months. In all seriousness you lot will likely have the next update a lot sooner than that.

The British version is enjoyable. Don't bother with the US version.

This a million times.

Also, I’m disappointed Ed Clark wasn’t nominated with 100% of the Republican vote, but he made half the delegates vote for Ron Paul in order to stop a cult of personality

I mean if the electoral system weighted the votes of businessmen then he probably would have won. Perhaps that's an idea for T&T there. ;)

Well yes, but ITTL I think it’s implied he’s an Anti Racist and less crazy than OTL.

While he may have some redeeming qualities with regards to his actives in the 1960s, I'm afraid he is still very much an incorrigible homophobe even after his more interesting and varied political career ITTL.

While he may have some redeeming qualities with regards to his actives in the 1960s, I'm afraid he is still very much an incorrigible homophobe even after his more interesting and varied political career ITTL.
Ah, This is going to go badly for the NatCons... or not considering that the NSS era is essentially stuck in the 60s in certain ways

Last edited:
I think plausibility has its place, but will always comes second to what works for a story.

History itself has plenty of implausible things happen, so as long as it doesn't go off the deep end, I don't think a TL should have plausibility as a goal unless it's really going into plausible everything described is.

I can't decide which Dornan I like better: this one or FaT's one, in which he nukes the hell out of Buenos Aires and kills himself by ramming his plane into an enormous nuclear complex built by Kim Il-Sung to hold most of Asia for ransom.

Ya know, there was this one time Bob Dornan was a pretty stand up guy. It was the 1996 Republican primaries, the debate before the Arizona primary. Everyone, especially Alexander and Forbes, were piling on Buchanan because Buchanan didn't support the neoliberal economics that they supported, Buchanan had focused a lot of his campaign on outsourcing, trade, and the upper class fleecing the workingman, and Dornan called them out on it and essentially told them to stop picking on Pat.

"Bob Dornan was nice to a fellow bigot who was being slammed for his economically illiterate proposals" is pretty weak tea as far as compliments go.

Deleted member 87099

Ya know, there was this one time Bob Dornan was a pretty stand up guy. It was the 1996 Republican primaries, the debate before the Arizona primary. Everyone, especially Alexander and Forbes, were piling on Buchanan because Buchanan didn't support the neoliberal economics that they supported, Buchanan had focused a lot of his campaign on outsourcing, trade, and the upper class fleecing the workingman, and Dornan called them out on it and essentially told them to stop picking on Pat. Pretty unusual considering that Dornan was competing against Buchanan and everyone else in the primaries.

Being nice to Pat Buchanan is like points against being a good person.

Ah Pat "Let's give nukes to the National Guard" Buchanan.

EDIT: my mistake it isn't Pat Buchanan, its another Nat. Con nominee.

Last edited: