Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

For an either minor or major change depending on how well the pieces of media in question would do, some Star Wars projects in development at the time (Like the video game Star Wars: 1313, set for release in 2011 or the sketch comedy cartoon show Star Wars: Detours) were either killed mid-development or were never released. If Disney never bought Lucasfilm, I'd imagine we'd see full completion and releases of these, and who knows how they would've done?
Another minor piece of the puzzle - apparently the Star Wars purchase negatively affected the marketing budget for John Carter of Mars.

WI: Saddam really did have a wmd, and he is using it on invading us forces.

what wmd ? anything, sarin, or even nukes would help.
He is four times double screwed with nukes and I think even the most tenacious post-Cold War pan-Arabist or Non-aligned thinker, politician, statesman would think thrice before mentioning him positively.

Sarin... Some would say that it would be a "desperate" situation but it would be shot down and condamned as an atrocity.

Before you guys ask, I had the unfortunate occasion to meet Arab Americans (while visiting family members in Dearborn) with that mentality despite there is substantial proof Saddam and his sons were the exact contrary of saints. Although it should be added even other Arab Americans present there thought these other were mental to praise and or defend him.

What kind of roles would Heath Ledger have gotten if he were still here today? In my opinion, between 2000 ("The Patriot") and 2005 ("Casanova (movie)"), he aged quite rapidly for an actor in his twenties. Kind of makes you think no wonder that he was asked to be casted as the Joker in "The Dark Knight".

What if the scenario described in the following fanfiction occurred? (ie: The male Romanovs were executed, but the women were made to renounce their claims to the throne and marry senior communist figures)

The women have no claim to the throne under the law of Tsar Paul

Joe McCarthy became POTUS, red scare getting worse as we thought indeed. But meanwhile, he strongly supported civil rights movement , he declared Jim Crow law is a shame on all the American people, Red monsters are mocking American, it need to be destroyed, that's only way to defeat Soviet. He invited young priest Martin Luther King to the White house, discussing the potential civil rights act.
( People always think he become POTUS would mess up everything, would become dystopia… but OTL he actually stand with the African American. )

Last edited:
Was there ever a developed country that stopped being a developed country? I'm thinking Greece, but I think that's a current politics topic? (And this has to be post-1900, and the country still has to exist.) Was Argentina ever a developed country?

Was there ever a developed country that stopped being a developed country? I'm thinking Greece, but I think that's a current politics topic? (And this has to be post-1900, and the country still has to exist.) Was Argentina ever a developed country?
Argentina definitely was a developed country in the early 20th century. It was essentially Latin American Australia.

I think recent South African economic crises, rising corruption/crime, and decaying infrastructure have also "downgraded" South Africa's status, but I might be wrong. If South Africa ever was a developed country, then it was at the lowest end of it and its development was incredibly uneven for obvious reasons.

Argentina definitely was a developed country in the early 20th century. It was essentially Latin American Australia.

I think recent South African economic crises, rising corruption/crime, and decaying infrastructure have also "downgraded" South Africa's status, but I might be wrong. If South Africa ever was a developed country, then it was at the lowest end of it and its development was incredibly uneven for obvious reasons.
Another thing is that Argentina never developed an actual industrial or service economy, meaning their entire economy relied on the high prices of commodities - in Argentina’s case, beef from cattle to feed Europe.

This is never a viable, long-term way to run a successful economy. Not only will your economy suffer a recession/crash when the price of your golden goose drops, you would also be subject to the whim of foreign powers. Just ask Venezuela. Richest country in Latin America 45 years ago. Now it has had negative GDP growth for almost a decade and is in deep economic downturn.

If the Russians bowed out of WW1 in 1916, what territories would it stand to lose?
Definitely eastern Poland and likely quite a bit of additional territory as well. Things like the Baltic states, parts of the Caucus mountains controlled by Russia, and some other areas would likely go to the Germans, Austrians, and Ottomans.

What if Ted Kaczynski aka the Unabomber targeted government facilities, politicians' offices, or corporations?

Furthermore, what if anarchists or other domestic terrorist commit copy cat attacks and let the blame fall on him?

Last edited:
Working on a TL where due to the after effects of the great war(no ww2) Italy, France, and Germany all fall to right wing military juntas, but not as radical as OTL Nazis. Portugal and Spain have similar results to OTL with Falaganism and Estado Novo. I have the leaders of the first wave of dictators pretty much set up, but these guys(except Franco) will be retired or dead by the 1950s. Who are some right wing politicians/military leaders that would be around 40-60 years old in the 1950s and in a similar ideological vein as Mussolini, Hindenburg, Franco, and Petain?

What if the US bought Greenland instead of Alaska?
Probably not settled to the same extent as Alaska, definitely still major resource extraction and military operations though. I’d assume there would be a massive naval and air base in southern Greenland to help close the North Sea gap

The women have no claim to the throne under the law of Tsar Paul

I would assume claims of nobility or right of their children to claim the right to rule over Russia.
Well, technically the Pauline Laws were "semi-Salic", not pure Salic - the claim to the throne could pass through (or to) a female member, but only if all the potential (and legitimate, and not disqualified on other grounds) agnatic (male) lines had been extinguished... which shooting all the Romanov males would certainly accomplish :)

However, any offspring of a union between a female Romanov and a leading Bolshevik would doubtlessly not be recognized as having a legitimate claim anyway, as the marriage would be considered unequal (unless perhaps there was some Bolshevik I'm unaware of who was a member of the upper nobility :openedeyewink: )

Bill Gates gets assassinated or dies in 1999 like the mockumentary film that appeared many years ago.

I know the only major difference would be that the world MIGHT use different operating system, however which ones I am unsure.

In my idea for a President Gore TL, no Iraq war means that Gore decides to use the surplus to increase funding for NASA. This passes with resounding bipartisan support. Also, the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster is butterflied away.

Another thing to mention is that this TL is set in the same world as A Saga of Parallel Worlds (my AVGN P2S fusion TL on this site/AO3)

Last edited:
Bill Gates gets assassinated or dies in 1999 like the mockumentary film that appeared many years ago.

I know the only major difference would be that the world MIGHT use different operating system, however which ones I am unsure.
I suspect that by 1999 Windows is already too embedded for a lot of people to change.

Microsoft gets a change of leader, and maybe XBox does not happen.