Middle Kingdom: Story of the Star Dynasty (Alternate History Chinese Muslim Dynasty Timeline)

Special: Total War-style flags
I do apologized if it’s not the next post you expected, everyone. But I just want to show you guys the faction flags I’ve made or arranged from Wikipedia and my favourite video-game (Europa Universalis 4). Inspired by Total War series and other sorts of video-games I’ve watched on youtube. It’s what I imagined for what happens if the Xing Chinese unification period turned into a video-game in TTL’s modern-day pop-culture like Dynasty Warriors series. Or fictional literature works based on historical era like Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Haven’t got the name for the game idea yet in TTL. :p

Flag%20of%20Xing%20Dynasty_zpshe6rnxlv.png~original

Flag of Xing

47XolHr.png

Flag of Beijing Clique

Ming_Dynasty_Flag_%281368~1644%29.png

Flag of Latter Ming

pjlv7Lz.png

Flag of Daxi

640px-Flag_of_the_Qing_dynasty_%281889-1912%29.svg.png

Flag of Qing Dynasty

w8Dhb91.png

Flag of Nanzhou

8r9cdzw.png

Flag of Legation Clique

I was still working on my next post and it's nearly finished. :3

On the other hand, I was going to show you the pictures about what the modern Xing soldiers would looked liked. Well, I was working on the whole TL-settings in the meantime.

397936.jpg

plas-current-type-07-uniforms.jpg

640px-Soldiers_of_the_Chinese_People%27s_Liberation_Army_-_2011.jpg

QLzZlG5.jpg

6tELy2E.jpg

Although, don't mind the Commie symbols. Just imagined the Imperial emblems in place of it. Well, I'd reckoned TTL's Chinese army will be significantly much better than OTL PLA ever will.

Although, don't mind the Commie symbols. Just imagined the Imperial emblems in place of it. Well, I'd reckoned TTL's Chinese army will be significantly much better than OTL PLA ever will.
So still take influence the british american style..make sense, specially light butterflies

Chapter 7
Imperial Army Military Museum, Xi’an, Empire of China, 2015

0Tfuanx.jpg

Chinese soldiers in World War One, East Asian Front

640px-A7V-U.jpg

The Chinese Type-58 battle tank was based on the reverse-engineered designs of German A7V-U, which was sold to China in 1920

The girls of Dong Wu Academy have been gathering near World War One exhibits. Like any ordinary girls who visiting the museum, they’ve been conversing among themselves about their experiences which is about the history of their country.

“Excuse me Wen, did you said Great Xing is founded based on a single dream?” Yasha said, sounded disbelieving. Lu Wen chuckled in response.

“Mhmm. Some people said Wuyi had a dream one night. A dream which inspired him to found his own dynasty as the emperor of China. Some telltales said he was still having dreams until to the end of his life. Fascinating, isn’t it?” The bespectacled girl quipped.

“Haha, I don’t think many people will find it believable. Much less dreams. Sounds far-fetched if you think about it.” Lianhua chuckled. “I mean we’re talking about the founder of the dynasty. Wuyi was the Qing general before he became the emperor.”

“I have to agree with big sister Lianhua. Sorry, cousin.” Yasha said.

“Haha, it’s okay. The people were lot more superstitious in those days. A lot of things have happened in the 18th century, the Qing Dynasty has pretty much torn itself apart by a royal civil war. Yongzheng was killed by one of his brothers in the bid for the Dragon Throne.” Wen spoke.

“Ah, well, it’s a little ironic the Aisin-Gioros have ended up as one of the noble houses in China as retainers of the imperial family. Same goes for the Zhus, the family who used to rule the Ming Dynasty. Some of them ended up as CEOs of the country’s biggest corporations.”

“You don’t say? But my family, the Sun clan, isn’t any different.” Lianhua said. “We were immigrants from Bengal two-hundred years ago to escape poverty and make a name for ourselves by military service in China. It’s little funny how things turned out for us.”

Suddenly, a crowd of European students of adolescent ages entered the exhibition like a gaggle of geese, accompanied by their respective teachers and interpreters. It is clear to the local Chinese that they’re on school trip in China. Like every youngsters, the Europeans have been conversing among themselves in their native tongues. Many of them have eventually divided into small groups and went separate ways into different rooms of the museum. Those stayed behind chose to explore the World War One section.

“Hm, aren’t they the Germans?” Yasha remarked upon seeing the Europeans, she recognised the languages when they started conversing are in German.

“You don’t say?” Lianhua commented.

“Oh, speak of the devil.” Wen quipped as she sees the bunch of foreign students gathered around at the corner. As her eyes catches one girl in particular. The said girl noticed the three and smiled.

“Ah guten tag, long time no see Sun Lianhua~.” The German girl waved out her hand. She called out in her accented but fluent Chinese, much to surprise of Yasha who didn’t anticipated the white foreigner to be fluent in Chinese. Her cousin and her best friend didn’t seemed to be fazed by the fact, it’s like they knew here in person. The German girl and the two boys, her friends, walked over to where Lianhua, Yasha and Wen are.

uFR1W6u.png

Apparently, she and Lianhua are long-time pen pals who’re eventually become friends. Recognising her, Lianhua reciprocates with a handwave.

“Long time no see~!” The blue-eyed girl quipped.

“It’s been a while, Wilhelmina~.” The dark-skinned girl greets her. The two began hugging each other like long-lost sisters. “How are you been doing all this time?”

“Haha, mostly highschool stuff and home-tutoring. The usual, haha~. It’s hard being a good student, Lianhua.” Wilhelmina smiled. “Oh, forgot to introduce these two gentlemen over here with me. These boys here are my friends in class, meet Siegfried and Herbert. We are students from Saint Leopold Imperial Academy.” She introduced the two German boys who’re next to her.

“Hallo! Pleasure to meet you, girls~!” Siegfried greeted with his grin, speaking in his accented Chinese.

“Likewise, ladies.” Herbert said, smiling.

“Nihao.” Lianhua smiled and gave a polite bow. Her friends did the same. “I am Lianhua. And these are my friends, Wen and her cousin Yasha.”

“Nihao~.” The two greeted the Germans with their polite bows.

“Now, we’re here. I didn’t expect to run into you in this very military museum.” Wilhelmina remarked.

“I could say the same. Still, it’s nice to meet you.” Lianhua said. “Say, when did you arrive in China? It’s half-way from your home.”

“About three days ago, we arrived in Shanghai first. Admittedly, we have some jetlags on the way, haha. We took the ride on train and the buses to Xi’an.” The German girl answered.

“I want to say Chinese food is tasty~.” Siegfried quipped.

“Haha, you haven’t seen all of them yet. There’s a lot to see in Chinese cuisine.” Wen spoke with a smile. “If we have free time, we can show you around in Xi’an. There’s a place known by us locals as the Food Quarter.”

“Mein Gott, sounds great!” The redhead boy responded with excitement.

“Still, you need to work on your Chinese a bit more, Siegfried. Otherwise, you get lost in the middle of China.” Herbert said to his friend as if he’s teasing him. Siegfriend responded with a mock pout.

“How did you get around here? China is a big country.” Lianhua asked her German friend out of curiosity.

“Oh? Herbert here apparently helped me, getting familiar with Chinese culture when we’re making accommodations in China. Learning the language and culture in books and reality are two different thing, haha~.” Wilhelmina chuckles.

“Oooh, you know history of China?” Wen chimed happily at Herbert.

“I have interests in Chinese history.” The boy smiled in response, pushing up his glasses. “The Middle Kingdom is the world of its’ own. As a foreigner from the Far West, I find your country fascinating to say the least.”

“Haha, it is true. The Chinese civilization survives into the one we know today. Say, do you love books? I do~.” The bespectacled girl asked him.

“I’m sure do, so yes.” Herbert replied, scratching his head sheepishly.

“Hehe, how about we can talk about books together while we’re here~? But we’re in the museum to learn a bit about our military history. We were on the subject about the First Emperor of the Xing Dynasty.”

“Oh yes, I’ve just read this one book by the Turkish author named Ismailoglu. The book’s name is Uman’s Dreams.” The German boy mentioned. “Quite an interesting read. Who could’ve imagined a minor Mongolian clan would one day rule China, succeeding where their Yuan forebears have failed. I want to say the Xing Dynasty is the most fascinating Chinese dynasty in history.”

Forbidden City, Beijing, 1748

“GAH!” Uman woke up from his bed, sweating. He had this strange dream again. Even he sees his late wife, Erhi, appearing in the dream urged him to continue conquer China until the whole of Middle Kingdom is his. It’s still didn’t make sense for him. Despite his confusion about the dreams, he sorely missed the woman he loves. His spouse was a young fiery Mongol noblewoman who happened to be the daughter of Uman’s father’s friend, beautiful like a dove and fierce like a tiger. They had four children together. Tragically, she had died of illness during the Qing civil war. The emperor wished she’s here by his side to console him.

“Oh God, that dream again.” Uman murmured to himself, massing his head as if he has a headache. He had just returned from fighting the Qing five days ago.

He heard footsteps began entering his bedroom. His own guards just came in to check on their liege.

“Your Majesty, are you alright?” The guard captain asked his emperor with concerns.

“I’m fine, don’t worry about it, captain. It’s just a bad dream.” Uman sighed, massaging his head. He regretted not taking some sleeping medicines last night.

“Your Majesty!” Gan Gong, the emperor’s personal attendant of elderly years has entered the room, looking panicky. Noticing his servant, Uman gave out a serious frown. Gan Gong is always a diligent and faithful servant to him for many years, even before Uman became the emperor. He can tell on his servant’s face that there’s something urgent had happened.

“Gan Gong, did something happen?” The emperor questioned.

The servant kneeled before responding, “Replying to His Majesty…this servant have come to report to you that the armies of Prince Arslan and Prince Kharbar were repulsed by enemy defenses. His Highnesses are regrouping at Henan to rendezvous with reinforcements.”

“What!?” Uman is shocked. He couldn’t believe this. The two aforementioned sons were among his best generals. And they were defeated. Reacting to the news, Uman is infuriated by the setbacks. This means the Daxi-Ming coalition has successfully held off the Xing advances for the first time. The Xing emperor quickly calmed himself down, a good general does not lament over defeats, a good generals thinks of ways of seizing victories. Nevertheless, he will figure out the way to defeat the alliance. He may have lost his first battle in his unification campaign but he’ll win next time.

____________________________________________________________​

Uman’s Dream: Story of the Xing Empire by Mustafa Ismailoglu (Istanbul Royal Publishing)

lossy-page1-509px-Portrait_of_a_Chinese_Soldier.tif.jpg

The Xing Empire is the Sinicized Mongolian Dynasty of Genghisid lineage who happened to become new emperors of China. Founded by the former Qing general turned warlord, Uman, he spent ten years of his reign consolidating his holdings as well as reforming the old imperial system he inherited from his Manchu predecessors. The Umanids have first begun their empire basing in the ancient city of Xi’an. Their choice of the city is not only strategic but also culturally, Xi’an was also the former capital of the Qin Empire, the dynasty who united China into one of the greatest civilizations we know today.

Upon founding his empire in 1736, Uman named his dynasty after the high plateau in Qinghai, the Xingxiuhai, where his family land estate is in and it’s close to the source of the Yellow River. Most of previous Chinese dynasties tend to be named after the place they’re based in, the Xing is not unusual. Only the Yuan, Ming and Qing are the exceptions since their dynasty names were more symbolic in nature.

SxRJRuL.png

With the Qing retreated back to their homeland of Manchuria, the Xing can refocused on fighting the Daxi-Ming coalition to the South. Pitting themselves against their Han Chinese opponents, the Xing armies have overwhelmed the defenders in the northern borders. The initial phase is the success at first; however it didn’t take long for the coalition forces to regroup for a counter-attack.

The Xing leadership were surprised to learn from their spies that Guo Dong, the former ruler of the Beijing Clique, has taken to the field alongside his Ming allies. Guo Dong, learning from his past mistakes, has come in not to underestimate the Mongol Xing. He put his past experiences into advices to the coalition leadership which helped his Later Ming allies greatly. Little the Sinotic-Mongols have realised, the Ming have already prepared to repel their forces through dug-out defensive positions and well-placed ambushes, armed with the newly-acquired muskets from the Portuguese and Dutch merchants. Following several clashes, both sides have suffered heavy casualties forcing the Xing army to the stalemate, which ended in the Ming victory.

However, the Xing have quickly reassessed their strategies in their offensives to the south, adjusting themselves to the changing circumstances. Learning from their experiences, the Umanids have cautiously chosen not to engage their foes directly. Uman Khan has decided to send in contingents of the famed Eight-Banners to join in the southern campaigns with his sons.

The Xing Eight-Banners were Uman’s elite warriors, acting as shock troops for his unification campaigns, modelled after the Qing Eight-Banners, chosen for their loyalty and fighting abilities rather than hereditary in case of the Qing. They were mostly comprised of Han infantrymen and Mongolian nomadic cavalries supplemented with Muslim Hui companies. Well-drilled, well-trained and well-paid by the efficient salary system, the Eight-Banners are led by their commanding-officers who’re promoted on merits. One might compare them to the Roman legionnaires in terms of organization and function, the Xing Eight-Banners eventually became the professional military force to this very day at the forefront of Middle Kingdom’s battles.

The Daxi were having trouble defending against Xing advances especially their western territory, consisted of Qinghai. The Daxi Court have been treated the locals of Qinghai like servants, scorning them as lowly slaves to do their bidding at the same overtaxing their wealth and energies on the pain of death. This made the Daxi rulers really unpopular with the people of Qinghai for their treatment of them. It didn’t help for the Daxi that most of their armies are at the east in support of their Ming allies to do anything about. When the Xing came from the western flank, the general of the invading force, rather than outright conquest, he have gone far to earned the support of the locals by promising them better life under Xing rule. Six months later, the Daxi’s western line has collapsed by the relentless assault by the Xing armies with the help of the collaborators who have grievances against the Daxi regime. The Daxi were forced to draw half of their armies to return back to Sichuan in response to the Xing take-over of Qinghai. Nevertheless, the Great Xing seems poised to conquer Sichuan which will potentially put Daxi out of the war.

In the field of international relations, Xing extends to trade relations with the nations of Europe with Vilhelmsson acting as the middleman in between. The Wuyi Emperor hoped he can acquire more firearms and foreign talents in the future for his growing empire. Uman is known to be man of foresight by those who knew him best; the future successes of the Xing Dynasty were attributed to his open-mind relationship towards foreigners and down-to-earth dialogues with his ministers, generals and scholars in private.

Seeking potential allies outside of mainland China, the Xing have sent its’ diplomats and gifts to Korea to improve relations. Not wishing to antagonise the Xing and the Qing altogether and risking another invasion from the Manchus, Joseon remained neutral to both sides. Though, the Korean Royal Court would prefer to support the Later Ming in their restoration of the Ming Dynasty, rather than the ‘barbarian’ dynasties. However, their domestic state at the time did not permit for defences or means to mount a military expedition outside of Korea’s borders. The Joseons has decided to wait until the winner of the emerged victorious as the new ruler of China.

The Xing seemingly talent for conquest in the name of their emperor are no different from their Mongolian ancestors under Genghis Khan. They might’ve succeeded in ruling China where their Yuan Dynasty’s forebear have failed.

Author’s notes: The Qing remnant are busy licking its’ wounds and at the same time trying to fend off Mongol raids. On other news, the Ming Dynasty have successfully hold off Xing advance in it’s’ territories. The Daxi, not so much, as the Xing have penetrated close towards its’ capital - Chengdu. Joseon Korea chose to stay neutral as possible, trying not to antagonise both the Qing and Ming.

Character cast:

Dong Wu Academy

Saint Leopold Imperial Academy

Special - Ramadan
I apologized if it’s not a next chapter everyone expecting. More like a Ramadan/Eid-special short. Without ado, Eid Mubarak!

Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, Empire of China, 18th July, 2015 C.E.

KFZAQnS.jpg

It is the end of Ramadan - the Islamic holy month of fasting and the time of Eid Al-fitr, celebrated by Muslims around the world. In China, the day of Eid Al-fitr is a public holiday. And it is even celebrated by Han Chinese population. Regardless of their religious beliefs, the Chinese are entitled to either a one-day or three-day official holiday on the said day, varied by provinces and autonomous regions. During the special time of Eid Al-fitr, supplies of mutton, lamb and beef are distributed to households as part of welfare programme funded by government agencies, public and private institutions, and businesses. Eid Al-fitr is held to not only celebrating the end of fasting, it’s also to honour the month that the Quran was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad.

A festival is held in the city and all over world that marks the end of Ramadan. In this particular street of Xi’an, where Muslim merchants and travellers first arrived in the Middle Kingdom during the Tang Dynasty, is known as the place where Chinese Muslims are concentrated. This said street is known as the Muslim Quarter. As times goes-by until modern-day, the street has evolved into one of the most popular food corners in the world, providing a variety of alternatives for Muslims during Ramadan as well as non-Muslims, ranging from halal to vegetarian.

For the 15 million Muslims living in the city, restaurants and shops that carry traces of the Yuan, Ming and Qing Dynasties are flooded by visitors because of the holy month. Those who look for traditional tastes go to the Muslim Quarter where bananas, eggs, rice, traditional deserts made with soybean, ice creams, drinks and Chinese appetizers are sold.

sk6TOAJ.jpg

Many restaurants run by Muslims hosted local and foreign visitors in the Muslim Quarter. The liveliness of the street, which is nearly 750 metres long, spreads to other side streets. At Bazaar markets, vendors hawking their wares hoping to attract potential customers.

800px-Xian_Mosque6.jpg

In Xi’an, the cradle of Chinese culture and civilization and the capital of many dynasties in the past, crafters and workers of the Muslim Quarter go to the 13th century Great Mosque of Xi’an, one of the oldest mosque in the country, and the Xiaotaoyuan mosque, which is nearly 1000 years-old, for tarawih (a special late-night prayer Ramadan prayer), after they break their fast. Not only the old mosques they attended to, the Muslims also went to mosques which were built in contemporary modern designs to accommodate the growing demands of the changing time.

800px-1_xian_muslim_quarter_china_2011.JPG

Walking down the street are the nine girls from Golden Peony High School, dressed in their casual clothes. They’re attending the Eid festival to participate in the celebration and spend more time for fun, going out together.

“Hey wait up!” The lead redhead cries out, catches up to her friends. The girls are enjoying their tanghulu, traditional Chinese candied-fruit snacks.

“Thank God we finished homework before we got out~.” Nianwen, the diminutive black-haired girl, quipped.

“Well, it will not do us any good if you get held back in the grade, senior.” Mei said, the violet-eyed redhead.

“Oi!” She sounded peeved at the remark.

“Now, now, you know she’s right.” Zhuyuan titters. “Unless you have complains, if you’re not going to make an effort or any motivation to do so, you might want some extra lessons from me~.” Her smile turned into coy one as if suggesting mischief.

“Urgh…no thanks. I’m good.” The Hui girl meeped, covering her dainty chest.

“Well, now we’ve done our schoolwork and its Saturday, we have plenty of time to spend. Let’s make sure we have fun.” Alisa, the blonde-haired Eurasian spoke.

“I’m just looking forward to the foods~.” Lian quipped with her cat-like smile.

“Haha…me too.” Jiahua chuckles.

“I’m so happy that we’re all here.” Honghua beamed happily. However, she was actually looking forward to festivity indulgence of holiday treats. She can imagine the huge assortment of food goodies presented at the Eid festival.

“Hey Honghua, didn’t we tell you it’s better to finish homework first? Even its three-day holidays, you have to complete them.” Ouyi lectures her best friend. “And no, I’m not going to let you borrow mine."

“Sorry, me too.” Kongyi said, clasping her hands together as if begging for forgiveness.

“Aiya, not this again.” Honghua pouted. While the redhead is far from academically inept, she’s often lazy about her homework.

“Oh yeah, what are we going to do on Eid?” Alisa asked, taking a bite of her candied apple.

“Well, we’ve already done our Isha prayers. We have time for some munchies~.” Nianwen cheerfully chimes. “Praise be to the Heavens~.”

“I agree, heehee~.” Honghua quipped, munching on her candied apple.

“Hm, hey Honghua, is that him?” Kongyi pointed her finger at one particular corner.

Noticing Kongyi as the girls looked over in her directions, they see two handsome young men loitering at the corner, appearing to be chatting together. Both of them are wearing casual outfits like ‘cool boys’. Recognizing one of them, Honghua suddenly rushes over towards the one wearing the shades and tackles him like a playful cat.

“Big brother!” She chirped, hugging him.

The girls except Kongyi, Alisa, Zhuyuan and Ouyi were stunned. “Eh!?” They exclaimed in surprise. The other man is surprised as well.

“Ah, little Honghua…how have you been?” The said lad hugs her in return. He then patted her on the head like a loving older brother.

“Hey, who is he?” Nianwen demanded.

“Big brother!” Kongyi chirped happily, interrupting Nianwen. “Aiya, sorry everyone, he’s actually my cousin.”

“Cousin!” Lian, Jiahua, Mei and Nianwen said in unison with looks of disbelief.

“B-but this guy is too hot to be one!” The twin-tailed girl cries out. Zhuyuan and Alisa burst into fits of giggles in response; they seemed to know who the man is beforehand.

“My apologies for the sudden confusion, I didn’t introduce myself. My name is Shenlong, nice to meet you.” The young man with shades introduced himself. He took them off, revealing his handsome facial features. He’s like a model. “I knew Honghua ever since she was a little girl.”

However, Ouyi has something to say.

“Actually, Lord Shenlong is-” She was cut off by Shenlong.

“Ouyi…remember I’m a commoner in public?” He shushed her with. He then winked at Zhuyuan and Alisa, the two reciprocates with their knowing smiles and gave out their tacit nods.

“Ah, yes milord.” The long-haired girl sighed. She’s bit of the stickler for protocols especially dealing with members of high society.

“Milord?” Lian asked.

“Wait, is he rich? A noble!?” Nianwen gasped in shock. She quickly gave Shenlong a polite bow. “Oh, do please forgive this one.”

Shenlong laughs, “Haha, it’s alright. It’s all good. All is forgiven.”

“Shenlong may look cool. But he’s a good person.” Honghua quipped.

“Oh, she’s your little sister? I didn’t know she’ll be this cute. Like your cousin.” The other man remarked about Shenlong’s relations with Honghua.

“Ah hello, big brother Baatar~!” Kongyi greeted him.

“Yo!” ‘Baatar’ reciprocate with his friendly wave.

latest

“Hello, ‘iron hero’?” Ouyi said flatly, she didn’t look all that happy with the man for some reason.

“Hello, ‘ice queen’, you missed me?” The black-haired lad jested, sounding bit annoyed. This earned a mock huff from the said girl.

“As if, dummy.” She responded with witty taunt of her own, not facing him as if he doesn’t exists. Honghua and Kongyi giggled at the bantering between the two. The rest of the girls, they’re surprised to see Ouyi being openly affable with the opposite sex for first time, they knew her to be very shy around males. What happens in front of them is not what they expected.

“Wuh!” Nianwen spluttered in shock.

“Ehhh?” Mei widens her eyes with surprise.

“Oh my.” Zhuyuan giggled.

“Aiya, just who is he?” Lian wondered.

“He’s her friend.” Honghua answered their curiosities in their minds.

“Everyone, meet Tömörbaatar.” Ouyi introduces her male friend.

“Hello, nice to meet you ladies~!” Tömörbaatar greeted the girls despite his imposing appearance.

“Say big brother, where were you all this time? I missed you.” Honghua asked with her mock pout.

“Haha, well, busy with work overseas. I was planning to spend some time for Eid until I saw you girls. You looked like you’re having fun.” Shenlong replied with a smile.

“Thank you~.” Zhuyuan quipped.

“Say, what is your job, sir?” Mei asked.

“They work in the army. They’ve been away to Middle-East, fighting bad guys. As a matter of fact, big brother Shenlong and Tömörbaatar are in Special-Forces.” Kongyi answered her question. “Isn’t that right, big brother?” She smiled.

“You could say that, little Kongyi.” Shenlong shrugged.

“So cool~!” Lian and Jiahua said in unison, sounding awe.

“Welp, they’re no match for the Middle Kingdom. That’s for sure.” Tömörbaatar said. “Thank the Gods we have good people in the team. However…” He went into a pose in attempt to flatter the girls, trying to show-off. “I, Tömörbaatar, will make sure the world is safe. There’s no bad guy I cannot defeat~.”

“A monkey can at least show-off better than you, Nergüi.” Ouyi lifted her head up like a snob.

“EH!? Why you, woman!?” The Mongolian growled at her, shaking his fist. “What gives!? Your chest isn’t any better.”

Feeling miffed, Ouyi retorted angrily, “Excuse me! I’m a growing girl!”

Watching the two broke into a petty argument, speaking in mixture of Mongolian and Chinese, the duo acted like bickering children. The girls seemed to look on with amusements, from cheeky grins to quiet tittering. They didn’t expect Ouyi, a reserved and logically-thinking girl, to be more open with someone other than them. Truth be told, they find it refreshing change of pace.

“My…” Shenlong observed with amusements. “Here they go again.”

“Heehee…it’s nice to see Ouyi like this. Nobody will believe us a strict girl can be this open.” Honghua commented.

“Oh my, come to think of it they looked like they make a cute couple together~.” Zhuyuan remarked. More like she’s making a joke.

“No, we’re not!” Both Tömörbaatar and Ouyi shouted altogether, blushing with embarrassment. Looking aghast in reaction to the Zhuyuan’s words, they didn’t seem to take well on her joke.

“Him! Never!” The long-haired girl protested, pointing her finger at Tömörbaatar as if he’s a criminal.

“With this princess, no way!” The senior boy howled, not liking the way Ouyi described him.

“What did you said!? At least it sounds better than being a big hulk of lug like you!”

“Say that again, woman!” Tömörbaatar growled.

“Grrr…” The two glared at each other in the comedic fashion before turning around and let out their annoyed huffs. Again, this becomes an amusing spectacle for their friends. Most of the girls burst into laughter.

“Come on, I know the place. They served good dumplings and kebabs.” Shenlong gestures them to follow him.

“Sounds good, lead the way.” Alisa said.

They then proceed to walked down the streets altogether; they planned to enjoy the very evening to celebrate the festival of the end of the Ramadan. In spite of Eid being a Muslim holiday, everyone treated it as any holidays in the Middle Kingdom and considered it a good time to spend time with family, friends and people they love.

Cast

The characters are named in traditional East Asian name order.

• Golden Peony High School (from left to right in order)
    • Tunggaid Zhuyuan
    • Xia Lian
    • Konggolo Jiahua
    • ??? Kongyi
    • Xiao Honghua
    • ??? Ouyi
    • Ma Nianwen
    • Niohuru Mei
    • Wang Alisa
Imperial Chinese Army

Last edited:
So there is Eid special. Nice one though especially the mosque picture it remind me about mosque i visited back in Guangzhou.

Oh yeah Eid Mubarak.

What this
An update of sorts
To put it in anime terms, it's an Omake about Eid in this TL's China. :3

Late eid mubarak. So Islam has spread in the lands. BTW how much influence does China have on islam in this world?
I imagined it will probably be significantly in terms of culture and resources. In other words, very much. More so than OTL Saudi Arabia ever will, taking account of China's wealth, population and ancient splendors. After all, China is big. That and especially the old historic relations between China and the rest of the Old World since the times of the Tang Dynasty.

Trivia - Ideas for Xing Chinese fashion
I just found some interesting pics about Imperial Chinese fashion:

Male:

fall-chinese-male-costume-hanfu-warm-cloak.jpg

2009121021554.jpg

530eae655286266a7c4d66c4ea4e9ae0.jpg

03021139392017926.jpg

39bfce76472f38e5a057ed534ff6f8ec.jpg

Female:

Chinese-Traditional-Hanfu-for-Women-Chinese-Fairy-Dresses-dance-costume-Hanfu-Dress-Clothing-Tang-Dynasty-Ancient.jpg_640x640.jpg

Chinese-Style-Women-s-Ancient-hanfu-Clothing-Costumes-Traditional-Tang-Chinese-Fairy-Dress-Princess-Women-China.jpg_640x640.jpg

073108585720134798.jpg

tumblr_mhxr7daxts1qhg58io1_1280.jpg

0chinaclothes.jpg

chinese-clothing-song-yuan.jpg

rtye46.jpg

With these pictures above, perhaps we can get some ideas on what early Xing Dynasty will fashion looked liked. Personally, I envisioned a mixed influences of Tang, Yuan, Ming and Qing. With that said, it'll probably turned out unique I'd imagined. And yes, Hanfu here and there. :3

Chapter 8
Five Kingdoms, the beginning of Xing Dynasty by Andrei Gorchov (Moscow Education Publication)

China in the early 18th century has collapsed into the civil war, fought between Qing princes for the throne and warlords who formed their own kingdoms in their bid to become the next emperor of China. No different from the Three Kingdoms period with the fall of the Han Dynasty in year 220.

LjjsHJ2.jpg

Under the rule of the Beijing clique, the four warlords didn’t pay much attention to the navy, aside from travelling transports for their personal leisure as ‘floating palaces’. The Xing takeover of the warlords’ lands changed all that. Whatever left of the ships belonging to the Beijing Warlord have been converted into true warships of it’s’ era.

Meanwhile at the southern front, the Ming armies took their initiatives to beat back the Xing forces. The Later Ming Navy is mainly defensive, rather than a true naval force, relegating to coastal defences and river patrols. They numbered in five-hundreds, making them the largest navy in Five Kingdoms-era China with exceptions of the vast merchant fleets of the Legation Clique.

Ancient Chinese Navy wasn’t uniformed force until the 18th century reforms in the Xing Dynasty. The roots of the modern Imperial Chinese Navy began with the Wuyi Emperor’s commission of the navy, following on advises of his navy-oriented generals and Vilhelmsson. On other account, one record written by a mysterious official, has said Wuyi was inspired by the tales of the famed Ming Treasure Fleet, narrated by his grandfather. Official records stated the ancestors of the Xing Imperial family had once served on Zheng He’s voyage as soldiers and scholars. By Wuyi’s decree, a new navy for the Xing Dynasty is being constructed. It took the workers months to complete about forty-five ships into service.

However, concerns on the Swedish side have been raised over their East Indian Company’s partnership with the Xing. Despite the skeptism of Vilhelmsson’s superiors in Stockholm, the Swedish adventurer has finally managed to convince them to gamble on Wuyi’s plans. In return, the Xing emperor will grant free-trade agreements with Sweden once he unifies China under his rule.

ewo3Vgd.png

Admiral Ludolf Goertz – Supreme Commander of the Xing naval forces
Assigned to lead the Xing fleet is Ludolf Goertz, a German mercenary captain who works for the SOIC. Goertz is an eccentric adventurer who liked to style himself as a pirate and at the same time a sophisticated intellectual who appreciates scholarly works. Records didn’t say about his early life except he was a son of the poor fisherman who made his way up to the top to lead his own crew. According to his journals and accounts of his crewmates, he has sailed the seven seas, flying different flags as a hired privateer. Apart from his western background, Goertz is highly-respected for his talents as a navy commander and personally amicable enough to be accepted by the Xing Court which contributed to being chosen to lead the fleet himself, alongside other talented captains of both Chinese and European backgrounds, serving as his subordinate officers.

Assembling a force of fifty junks and twenty warships of western-designs with the assistance of Vilhelmsson’s shipwrights, combined with leftovers of the Beijing Warlords’ ships whose defected to Wuyi, they make up as the first Xing navy set out onto the sea, crewed by Chinese sailors. Complimenting his newly-built navy are western ships belonging to the European mercenaries in employ of the Swedish East India Company. Altogether, the whole Xing naval forces are over two-hundred and fifty strong.

TweceOx.jpg

They were sent out in according to Wuyi’s plans in outflanking the Ming by sea. The Battle of Shanghai as two sides fought for control of the end point of Yangtze Delta – a strategic river which also leads to Nanjing, capital of the Later Ming. The Xing lost after first battle and were forced to retreat, due to the Ming superior numbers of ships. On the other hand, the survival of the Xing fleet owes greatly to Goertz’s wits as a capable admiral in his own right.

0pltQBJ.jpg

Reinforced by additional fifty war junks assembled from Shandong, the Xing fleet regrouped for another attack. After the second battle at sea for two weeks, the Xing won, taking a foothold in Shanghai and capturing parts of the Jiangsu province in 1749, forcing the Ming defenders to retreat. Effectively taking over whole estuary of Yangtze in the middle portion of the East China coast, the Xing have acquired a springboard to launch against the Ming’s territories. However, the logistic lines have yet to be established. It will take more than a week for reinforcements to arrive in Shanghai from Shandong.

Nevertheless, the legacy of the modern Chinese Navy traced back to the Five Kingdoms period. The Xing naval prowess, created with western assistance, despite it’s’ infancy acted as a proof that quality, not quantity wins the battle. The trend of the active Imperial Chinese Navy and its organizational framework will be continued by Wuyi’s successors. Two-hundred years later, the Chinese Navy grew into one of the most powerful navies in the world, an equal to the United States Navy.

UI7oiow.png

Meanwhile at the main front, despite suffering some setbacks during the war, the Xing decided to take on the Daxi while keeping the Later Ming at bay from taking their territories. The Daxi lost few more lands to the Xing with the Umanids conquering northern Sichuan and northern parts of modern-day Chongqing municipality from the Chengdu warlords. Nonetheless, the Daxi put a lot of effort in their defences against their Sinotic-Mongol opponents.

In the meantime, the Ming navy were regrouping with the rest of the Ming ships at the island of Taiwan in preparations for counter-attack against the Xing. These events have marked the battle of East China Sea as the first major naval battle in the Era of Five Kingdoms.

Author’s notes: The Ming are more successful than the Daxi in regards to defence against the Xing. However, the Wuyi emperor has built a sizable naval fleet in his goal for reunification of China. With that, the Xing fleet had taken the area of Shanghai and parts of Jiangsu province after the last battle against the Ming fleet.

I do enjoy the timeline so far, and Chinese naval history never fails to be fascinating, but I really don't see this happening: China's navy has always been a brown water navy--it performs perfectly fine in waterways, a match with Western ships given the right conditions. Chinese naval battles between regimes based upon the mainland, for example the Battle of Poyang Lake have been between brown water navies. That's going to be the case for the Xing advancing upon Nanjing. Western navies, what with Europe being pretty much made up of peninsulas are almost universally green and blue water navies. Tactics, strategies and whatnot are very different in these three situations. There really is no need for Western admirals, when Chinese admirals could probably perform better by sheer weight of experience.

I do enjoy the timeline so far, and Chinese naval history never fails to be fascinating, but I really don't see this happening: China's navy has always been a brown water navy--it performs perfectly fine in waterways, a match with Western ships given the right conditions. Chinese naval battles between regimes based upon the mainland, for example the Battle of Poyang Lake have been between brown water navies. That's going to be the case for the Xing advancing upon Nanjing. Western navies, what with Europe being pretty much made up of peninsulas are almost universally green and blue water navies. Tactics, strategies and whatnot are very different in these three situations. There really is no need for Western admirals, when Chinese admirals could probably perform better by sheer weight of experience.
I admit navy history is not my strong forte. I know it's an odd choice in choosing a westerner to lead the Chinese fleet. To be fair, it's been a long time since the Ming that China produces great admirals the likes of Zheng He. Admirals after the Ming didn't seemed to be cut to be that great naval commanders unless you're pirates like Cheung Po Tsai and Ching Shih. I felt western captains have more experience in navy matters than their Chinese counterparts.

Tho' it's merely temporary however. I thought choosing a westerner seems to be a good idea especially when leading a newly-created fleet. To be fair, Mongols aren't historically known for being seafarers, you know. :p

Fear not, I'm going to introduce Chinese commanders who'll succeed Goertz soon. A reminder, the early Xing Navy during the Warlords period is still mostly Chinese with some Western captains filling in the blanks.

Trivia - Costume ideas for Xing Emperors
I am at the stage of procrastination, sadly. I was trying to figure what'll be the next chapter. Not to mention, there's RL stuff I need to sort out. Fear not, the thread is not dead. :)

Anyway, I was looking up pictures of Chinese Emperor's costumes in the effort to find suitable dress for ITTL's Xing Emperors.

sPULefC.jpg

652fc0d1dfddd39ecd81b3a38dcb4350.jpg

imperial-dressing-in-tang-dynasty.jpg

37d37db568bd3b1ab4689935da776a9c.jpg

Male-Costume-Hanfu-Ming-Dynasty-Emperor-Zhu-QiZhen-Hanfu-2015-New-TV-Play-The-Imperial-Doctress.jpg_640x640.jpg

461px-Puyi-Manchukuo.jpg

The last one I might as well used it as an example for modern-dress of Xing emperors

The last one I might as well used it as an example for modern-dress of Xing emperors
Butterflies, dude, if butterflies we could get a dress more chinese that western my mere inertia, that is something to account, maybe if the Xing got more contact with Muslim countries would adopt some Middle-East and South East asia fashions too?

Butterflies, dude, if butterflies we could get a dress more chinese that western my mere inertia, that is something to account, maybe if the Xing got more contact with Muslim countries would adopt some Middle-East and South East asia fashions too?
A good point. No doubt, Xing's interaction with Muslim nations will effect on TTL's Chinese fashion. Although, it'll be hard to find good fashion pics for it. But it'll be nice to see some fusion of Islamic and Chinese fashions definitely. I have some pic ideas from google here.

Bahadur_Shah_II.jpg

2ad04f05aa4192f423da115688902198.jpg

xbrocade-golden-royal-sherwani-500x700.jpg.pagespeed.ic.CGkpJGozxm.jpg

855330fd145f2938ace76b3729b60943--orang-blue-bloods.jpg

4d29efa3c93cd23040b4ebd00042da11--the-melt-baju-kurung.jpg

sultan_abdulmecid_pera_museum_3_b.jpg

494px-Sultan_Mehmed_V_of_the_Ottoman_Empire_cropped.jpg

how would korea be influenced by xing?
A lot, really. In more ways than one, it can be through cultural, trade and diplomatic relationships, even right up to royalty themselves. China, for long time, has always influenced Korea in the last millennium to the point that one can mistake Korea as 'Mini-China'. Therefore, the relations would be probably no different from the times of Tang Dynasty, right up to the Qing. With a more powerful China in TTL, there's no way Korea will ignored it and then perhaps won't stay as an 'hermit kingdom' for long, unlike in OTL where Korea is forced to open, thanks to Imperial Japan.

So, there won't be any much difference except Korea will acknowledged the Xing as the new Emperors of China, succeeding the Qing.