Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, why do you think ITTL the Xbox is getting the whole Dudebro label on it then?

The Xbox 360 IOTL got the dudebro label due to all the military macho shooters between 2006 and 2010.
Everything is relative, it's pretty well balanced compared to OTL but comparing only to TTL it is skewed in that direction more than the Ultra, Wave, or Katana.

Maybe.

I guess we will find out sooner or later then.
We haven't entered the era of grey-brown "realistic" shooters and the unstoppable behemoth known as Call of Duty won't make its premiere until October 2003. At the this point the FPSs are as varied and interesting as any other genre. It's already like owing pretty good. Imagine how good the video game industry will get in the next 13 years. Hopefully, we can avoid a certain consumer revolt by keeping the games journalism from getting so corrupt.

We haven't entered the era of grey-brown "realistic" shooters and the unstoppable behemoth known as Call of Duty won't make its premiere until October 2003. At the this point the FPSs are as varied and interesting as any other genre. It's already like owing pretty good. Imagine how good the video game industry will get in the next 13 years. Hopefully, we can avoid a certain consumer revolt by keeping the games journalism from getting so corrupt.
Or as I call it a internet riot storm that went from games journalism into involving the entire internet gaming community.

Or as I call it a internet riot storm that went from games journalism into involving the entire internet gaming community.
Again butterflies and thank GameTV and G4 influences journalism will be far different like REAL Journalism rather some people payed to talk abotu games....

Doesn't mean that there wasn't a lot of collusion in OTL gaming journalism. Instead of acknowledging that they've got a problem they closed ranks and attacked their audience. Hence why there were multiple articles on the same goddamn day declaring "gamers" to be "over" because they said so. While there were sexist assholes in Gamergate that wasn't the purpose of the movement. That's the problem about an open hashtag like #Gamergate. There's nothing to stop assholes from using it.

Again butterflies and thank GameTV and G4 influences journalism will be far different like REAL Journalism rather some people payed to talk abotu games....

Hopefully, this means that games journalism won't become the ideologically driven mess it became in OTL. Hopefully, the sites owned by Gawker won't dominate the online games journalism scene like they did in OTL.

Hopefully, this means that games journalism won't become the ideologically driven mess it became in OTL. Hopefully, the sites owned by Gawker won't dominate the online games journalism scene like they did in OTL.

Hear, hear.

Would it be too much to hope that Gawker never gets off the ground and Nick Denton languishes in obscurity ITTL?

Doesn't mean that there wasn't a lot of collusion in OTL gaming journalism. Instead of acknowledging that they've got a problem they closed ranks and attacked their audience. Hence why there were multiple articles on the same goddamn day declaring "gamers" to be "over" because they said so. While there were sexist assholes in Gamergate that wasn't the purpose of the movement. That's the problem about an open hashtag like #Gamergate. There's nothing to stop assholes from using it.

I never really considered sites like the Escapist, Polygon, IGN, Kotaku, etc. to be actual journalistic outlets so much as gaming-related YouTube channels in print form, not helping the comparison was that many of them had actual YouTube channels. That's why #GamerGate struck me as a bit overzealous because calling them "real journalists" (or at least "good journalists") was giving them a little too much credit. Let's hope that like most things about this TL, the state of games journalism improves compared to OTL.

I never really considered sites like the Escapist, Polygon, IGN, Kotaku, etc. to be actual journalistic outlets so much as gaming-related YouTube channels in print form, not helping the comparison was that many of them had actual YouTube channels. That's why #GamerGate struck me as a bit overzealous because calling them "real journalists" (or at least "good journalists") was giving them a little too much credit. Let's hope that like most things about this TL, the state of games journalism improves compared to OTL.
Maybe with gaming being relatively more mainstream actual journalistic outfits will start reporting on video games. Especially with fairly prominent game review TV shows like GameTV and Judgement Day existing in this timeline. Wth actual journalists covering video games, there'd be less need for overhyped bloggers with blatant biases in video games journalism. With those shows existing and Anita Sarkeesian's content being more fair and balanced I wouldn't worry about Games Journalism ITTL.

One thing I think might (emphasis on might) reduce the tinge of grey-brown FPSes is the less prominent War On Terror. There's no Iraq War, Afghanistan has been lower-key, and so maybe it won't be part of the zeitgest.

However, there's several big maybes. The first is that there could be indeed a big high-profile flare up or major war somewhere. Not necessarily Iraq, and one does not have to support the war to realize that it wasn't Bush Jr. upsetting a stable situation. Far from it, the sanctions are both harsh and unraveling, and if macroeconomic trends hold there's going to a shot in the arm for Saddam's regime when oil prices rise and sanctions decline. And if there's an unliklier but still possible coup/death? Then you get a big power vacuum, and quite possibly a civil war. The Iraq War as it existed OTL can certainly be butterflied, but the US-Iraq conflict can't be merely handwaved.

The second is that for a time the grey-brown FPS actually was novel. When Modern Warfare came out, people (who were not stereotypical FPS dudes) were excited that the dead horse of World War II FPSes was no longer being beaten. So people might get sick of cartoony FPSes and want something down to earth. Enter a developer to meet that demand with a grey-brown FPS :p .

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_Gamergate_claims

"Gamergate lives in an alternate universe with an alternate history, in which Gamergate has doxxed nobody, has significantly increased ethics in game journalism, is supported by a broad coalition of diverse people (and in particular by the vast majority of gamers), and is generally pretty great. Surprisingly, they're incorrect."

While there were sexist assholes in Gamergate that wasn't the purpose of the movement.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_Gamergate_claims#Gamergate_isn.27t_misogynistic

"We're sorry to inform you that when a so-called 'movement' is started from a bunch of false allegations regarding one woman's sexual life, it paints the group as a whole as misogynistic. As Gamergate progressed, the misogynistic descriptor was only enforced as more and more women were disproportionately attacked verbally, emotionally, and financially for not agreeing with Gamergate. Even when Gamergaters managed to convince a few journalists to try to understand what Gamergate was actually about, those journalists only saw intense vitriol against the very women that Gamergate constantly claims they do not actually care about.[43] So Gamergate simultaneously does not care about Zoe Quinn, Anita Sarkeesian, Brianna Wu, et al., but still came up with slang terms to bring them up repeatedly but not by name? Just admit it already."

That's the problem about an open hashtag like #Gamergate. There's nothing to stop assholes from using it.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_Gamergate_claims#Harassers_don.27t_represent_Gamergate

The aim here is to absolve the whole of Gamergate from blame for harassment, often deflecting blame on "third-party trolls". The problem is that Gamergate was founded on a case of harassment, and has since continued with a heavily documented track record of harassment. Gamergate began because of Eron Gjoni's desire to ruin Zoe Quinn's life for leaving him, even going so far to desire that she should end up so emotionally broken that she needs therapy.[47]
Gamergate supporters equate "Gamergate as a whole is responsible for harassment" with "all members of Gamergate harass", arguing that because the latter is false, the former is too. Of course it's improbable that all 10 thousand or so people in Gamergate on Twitter have harassed people, but that doesn't mean you can therefore say, "that person who harassed you isn't a Gamergater" when someone who has specifically gone after another person for Gamergate-related reasons is called out on it.
Name dropping individuals like Randi Harper or Phil Fish is several fallacies: nutpicking, false equivalence, tu quoque and two wrongs don't make a right. Neither Harper or Fish have done anything at all like the harassment caused by Gamergate, if they had people would have rightly disclaimed them, and even then it still wouldn't justify Gamergate's harassment, let alone somehow cancel it out. Also, Randi Harper's public feud with Vivek Wadhwa, a man despised by women and feminists in the tech industry, which predates Gamergate and was only highlighted by Stop the GoodReads Bullies, doesn't mean anything. Stop the GoodReads Bullies is essentially the Gamergate for book reviews (doxxing people who leave negative reviews and directing readers to harass them), and instead of Milo Yiannopoulos they have Anne Rice.

Just gonna leave that there. Further discussion probably ought to go to general chat; if I could find an option to take this post directly there, I'd use it.

Cease GG discussion, that things was infamous i just shurged off as some people trolled me, that show why NOBODY take videogames seriously as OURSELVES are unable to do it.

So...Something to discuss about Wave or Sega? we leave a megaclue with either, specially certain flagship game for the former...

Right, we've got some big updates planned this week: an update on some Wave launch window titles (including Gran Turismo 3), then an update on Sega's deal with either Apple or Toshiba...and then E3 2003 coverage with some major game announcements. So yeah, should be pretty fun, any predictions?

Judgement Day

Judgment Day is actually a show from OTL G4, only it was hosted by Victor Lucas and Tommy Tallarico rather than Victor Lucas and Alex Stansfield. Alex's presence does give it somewhat more credibility though.

Last edited:
Ban
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_Gamergate_claims

"Gamergate lives in an alternate universe with an alternate history, in which Gamergate has doxxed nobody, has significantly increased ethics in game journalism, is supported by a broad coalition of diverse people (and in particular by the vast majority of gamers), and is generally pretty great. Surprisingly, they're incorrect."

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_Gamergate_claims#Gamergate_isn.27t_misogynistic

"We're sorry to inform you that when a so-called 'movement' is started from a bunch of false allegations regarding one woman's sexual life, it paints the group as a whole as misogynistic. As Gamergate progressed, the misogynistic descriptor was only enforced as more and more women were disproportionately attacked verbally, emotionally, and financially for not agreeing with Gamergate. Even when Gamergaters managed to convince a few journalists to try to understand what Gamergate was actually about, those journalists only saw intense vitriol against the very women that Gamergate constantly claims they do not actually care about.[43] So Gamergate simultaneously does not care about Zoe Quinn, Anita Sarkeesian, Brianna Wu, et al., but still came up with slang terms to bring them up repeatedly but not by name? Just admit it already."

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_Gamergate_claims#Harassers_don.27t_represent_Gamergate

The aim here is to absolve the whole of Gamergate from blame for harassment, often deflecting blame on "third-party trolls". The problem is that Gamergate was founded on a case of harassment, and has since continued with a heavily documented track record of harassment. Gamergate began because of Eron Gjoni's desire to ruin Zoe Quinn's life for leaving him, even going so far to desire that she should end up so emotionally broken that she needs therapy.[47]
Gamergate supporters equate "Gamergate as a whole is responsible for harassment" with "all members of Gamergate harass", arguing that because the latter is false, the former is too. Of course it's improbable that all 10 thousand or so people in Gamergate on Twitter have harassed people, but that doesn't mean you can therefore say, "that person who harassed you isn't a Gamergater" when someone who has specifically gone after another person for Gamergate-related reasons is called out on it.
Name dropping individuals like Randi Harper or Phil Fish is several fallacies: nutpicking, false equivalence, tu quoque and two wrongs don't make a right. Neither Harper or Fish have done anything at all like the harassment caused by Gamergate, if they had people would have rightly disclaimed them, and even then it still wouldn't justify Gamergate's harassment, let alone somehow cancel it out. Also, Randi Harper's public feud with Vivek Wadhwa, a man despised by women and feminists in the tech industry, which predates Gamergate and was only highlighted by Stop the GoodReads Bullies, doesn't mean anything. Stop the GoodReads Bullies is essentially the Gamergate for book reviews (doxxing people who leave negative reviews and directing readers to harass them), and instead of Milo Yiannopoulos they have Anne Rice.

Just gonna leave that there. Further discussion probably ought to go to general chat; if I could find an option to take this post directly there, I'd use it.

I wouldn't call Rational Wiki a credible source when it comes to politically charged topics like this. Not to mention that Zoe Quinn's so called "forum for victims of online harassment" is in fact, a group of hypocritical online harassers. Not to mention that Zoe confessed to cheating on Eron in a text message.

There's no reason to post a massive rant about the "crimes" of Gamergate on a timeline where Gamergate will never exist.

I want to steer the topic back to the TL itself.

With E3 on the horizon I thought I should tell you guys a new Keen is on the way for 2003. I sent some ideas to Ry and Nivek, but I think you guys are going to like it.

So has anyone else here seen old school (2002-2003) G4? With somebody saying that they thought Judgment Day was a TTL exclusive show, it just got me wondering.

So has anyone else here seen old school (2002-2003) G4? With somebody saying that they thought Judgment Day was a TTL exclusive show, it just got me wondering.
I have not; I want to say that at that time you still had to add G4 to your cable package, at least in my area/from my provider, and I could easily be misremembering that.
At the very least, I think I was only peripherally aware of its existence back then; and by the time I did know what it was and had access to it, it'd already changed into MTV 4: We don't really have a purpose anymore.

More Game Over inspired by the massive exchange above that I honestly don't know enough about to comment on directly:
Roger Renegade said:
This "#Gamergate" thing sounds so confusing; I've read the write-up FIVE TIMES and I still don't understand just what the fuck was supposed to be going on!
#WhatAClusterfuck #HeSaidSheSaidWeSaidTheySaid #RedHerringBlueHerringOneHerringTwoHerring #MyHeadHurts #IfItWeren'tForMyHorseIWouldn't'veSpentThatYearInCollege

I watched back when it was still Tech TV. Are we still going to get X-Play ITTL?

Yes, it's actually been established that it exists in a few of the quotes. It's still airing on Tech TV, and still called Extended Play as of April 2003, when it changed to X-Play IOTL. ITTL, that won't happen until October 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.