Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
France was historically strongly associated with blue since the 1300's and white since the mid 1600's. Blue came back in force in the late 18th century
I mean, yeah, that's what Wikipedia says, but I briefly browsed around maps like the OP for France's colonial empire in Africa and I've seen greens and yellows, but no blues. That's both English maps and French maps.

Actually as I typed this I did find a German map with the French being blue, but I don't think it's quite nearly as universal a color association as sites like Wikipedia make it out to be. Limited sample size, though, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt!

I mean, yeah, that's what Wikipedia says, but I briefly browsed around maps like the OP for France's colonial empire in Africa and I've seen greens and yellows, but no blues. That's both English maps and French maps.

Actually as I typed this I did find a German map with the French being blue, but I don't think it's quite nearly as universal a color association as sites like Wikipedia make it out to be. Limited sample size, though, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt!
Has anyone ever put together a list of "traditional" mapping colours for all the major powers? I mean, everyone knows "red" (actually pink) for the UK, blue typically for France... I've seen yellow occasionally for the German Empire, and read that green was preferred in Russian cartography for both the Russian Empire and for the USSR... others, there seems to be a great deal of variation...

Has anyone ever put together a list of "traditional" mapping colours for all the major powers? I mean, everyone knows "red" (actually pink) for the UK, blue typically for France... I've seen yellow occasionally for the German Empire, and read that green was preferred in Russian cartography for both the Russian Empire and for the USSR... others, there seems to be a great deal of variation...
I tried around 9 or 10 years ago, but gave up after it gave me too much of a headache, and didn't have enough countries for my purposes.
Coincidently, it was that endeavor that brought me to this site.

I think the issue is that there really wasn't the same sense of "traditional mapping colors" as we on this site understand them. Hell, that's even the case in the modern day. Actual maps abide by the rule of four and cycle between four colors for all the countries in the world.

I tried around 9 or 10 years ago, but gave up after it gave me too much of a headache, and didn't have enough countries for my purposes.
Coincidently, it was that endeavor that brought me to this site.
You wouldn't happen to still have the results of your research, would you? :)

wrYaX0g.png

I'm a little depressed right now, so I tried to make a non-dystopian map for a change.
Hmm... maybe I'm missing something, but the geography here seems to not add up (there's a Lake Ukerewe instead of a Ukerewe island and Mount Kilimanjaro isn't by Lake Victoria), and combined with the fact that there's a Neo Arusha and a domed fortress, I'm guessing this isn't on Earth? Perhaps a Martian colony sometime in the far future? Either way, this is a really fun and creative map.

I think the issue is that there really wasn't the same sense of "traditional mapping colors" as we on this site understand them. Hell, that's even the case in the modern day. Actual maps abide by the rule of four and cycle between four colors for all the countries in the world.
Abiding by the "four-colour theorem" is a bit easier now, that there aren't so many colonies, territories, protectorate, vassals, etc anymore... seems like in the old historical maps that I've seen, five or six is more typical...

Hmm... maybe I'm missing something, but the geography here seems to not add up (there's a Lake Ukerewe instead of a Ukerewe island and Mount Kilimanjaro isn't by Lake Victoria), and combined with the fact that there's a Neo Arusha and a domed fortress, I'm guessing this isn't on Earth? Perhaps a Martian colony sometime in the far future? Either way, this is a really fun and creative map.
I don't think the graphic is trying to place these landmarks at their exact location.

You wouldn't happen to still have the results of your research, would you? :)
No :(, I abandoned that project when I discovered RCS, I did experiment a bit making my own TACOS derived scheme using some thoughts from the old one. But I've restarted the project from scratch so many times I don't remember what originally came from it and what did not.

Last edited:
Ask Thande.

The indominable spirit of the Uyghurs allowed them to continue stalling the Chinese advancement, grinding them to a halt just a few miles short of their capital. As the Uyghurs stood resilient against China, many observers around the world took notice, lauding them for their bravery and grit in the face of adversity.

"If the French had just a tenth of the vigor and drive of the Moslems of Sinkiang, Berlin would've fell five years ago." - American Magazine, 1945

As the Chinese army began to fall back as a result of the many successful Uyghur counteroffensives, the Central Government soon decided that it was better to cut their losses than to continue dooming their men to a graveyard somewhere in the Bogda Shan. By 1944, the Chinese had been pushed out of Kumul, and the entire Sinkiang Campaign ended in nothing but a wasteful endeavor for China.[/spoiler]
Perhaps this is inspired by the current war in the Ukraine, but I will note that grit and determination can only get you so far when you're outnumbered something like a hundred to one.

View attachment 741725
ask and you shall recieve. most of them seem pretty clearly named IMO but let me know if you have any questions. Ilha Oeste and Ilha Holandesa mean "west island" and "dutch island" respectively, and date back to their charting and conquest from the dutch, respectively. If I had to pick a biggest city I would go with Porto De Santo and for a capital: Lago John I suppose at the time of the prior map it Lago John would've been under siege though.

not super relevant but here's TTL's Portuguese empire. might give them a bit more in west Africa or smomalia but it might be prudent in the labrador verse.

yz6tkg37ljz81.png
Sorry for being so late, but what's the POD for this map?

Sorry for being so late, but what's the POD for this map?
Been a while since I thought of the project, but no iberian union with a touch of England screw are the main things I have. Portugal otl did have a colony in labrador, but the english rolled up and did their thing. Perhaps Portugal pursues france as an ally instead of England so spain can't dominate them

Been a while since I thought of the project, but no iberian union with a touch of England screw are the main things I have. Portugal otl did have a colony in labrador, but the english rolled up and did their thing. Perhaps Portugal pursues france as an ally instead of England so spain can't dominate them
Oh thank you, those are good PODs!

Status
Not open for further replies.