Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a feature map from my Atlas Altera project. It shows the spread of sedentary culture in Altera through the lens of domesticated staple crops. Note the major points of transoceanic contacts. To get an in-depth understanding, watch the full explanation for this map or listen to it as a podcast.

Altera_ConfluencesHumanCulture_AH.jpg
For the hardcore AH fans who might want some inspiration for their own timelines, look into these game changing foodstuffs:
  • Distichlis palmeri
  • Zostera esculentum
  • Psophocarpus tetragonolobus
  • Marsilea drummondii
  • Aristida pungens
I post updates to my project in this thread. If you believe in the value of work I'm doing and would like to support this project, please take a look at my Patreon. One of the benefits includes high quality print-ready versions of the graphics I make.

Last edited:
This is a feature map from my Atlas Altera project. It shows the spread of sedentary culture in Altera through the lens of domesticated staple crops. Note the major points of transoceanic contacts:
View attachment 649740
For the hardcore AH fans who might want some inspiration for their own timelines, look into these game changing foodstuffs:
  • Distichlis palmeri
  • Zostera esculentum
  • Psophocarpus tetragonolobus
  • Marsilea drummondii
  • Aristida pungens
I post updates to my project in this thread. If you believe in the value of work I'm doing and would like to support this project, please take a look at my Patreon. One of the benefits includes high quality print-ready versions of the graphics I make.
Amazing quality map as always!

I think you might have already answered this, but is there any particular reason for the alternate geography?

Amazing quality map as always!

I think you might have already answered this, but is there any particular reason for the alternate geography?
Thank you!
Yes, to answer your question, most of the alt-geo interventions are to maximize ethnolinguistic diversity by creating insulating barriers or incentives for pre-Columbian connections. So in Tamirea (OTL Australia), the inland sea opens from the north to connect the continent with Indo-Malayic trade networks far earlier than even the OTL Makassar contact period, let alone European colonial period.

Thank you!
Yes, to answer your question, most of the alt-geo interventions are to maximize ethnolinguistic diversity by creating insulating barriers or incentives for pre-Columbian connections. So in Tamirea (OTL Australia), the inland sea opens from the north to connect the continent with Indo-Malayic trade networks far earlier than even the OTL Makassar contact period, let alone European colonial period.
Ah I see, a very interesting idea!

Its always nice when the alternate geography has a purpose other than 'it looks cool' as well.

A map I did for fun about two weeks ago based mostly around a Naruto world map I found here on AH.com and on Deviantart (and already posted there)
dejec7f-fe4db57e-4617-43ac-ba09-660b2b8f46f9.png

Also, as is noticeable, there are four variations of the map, the two bellow being inspired by the scenario of the fanfics of "Umei no Mai" on ff.net and AO3.

Top Left: The main map, showing an expanded Shinobi Continent with the vegetation
Top right: the same map but without any vegetation, just rivers
Bottom Left: The continent some various centuries in the past, when the continental shelf hadn't yet been broken in half by the Kyubi resulting on part of the continent sinking into the ocean
Bottom Right: The continent after the Kyubi did just that, with much of didn't sink being ravaged by the dramatic upwell of the ocean. many lands that on modern times exist hadn't yet come into being from rivers depositing sediments and expanding the coastline

Last edited:
As usual, crossposting from the MotF thread, with questions, comments, anything really being welcomed, while I hope you all like the map, since I really loved the whole idea

Anderida, a pocket of Celts just to the south of London

vrRdlwM.jpg

Since the lore is included in the map (I just found my lore too fun not to include in the overall work), I'll just comment quickly how much fun I had working on this idea. It was like my third plan, which I stumbled unto after thinking of doing a more-generally Celtic Britain, a project I eventually abandoned in favour of this more controlled piece, but one that nevertheless seems more interesting, if only for its oddness.

And yes, the moment I thought of this idea, I imagined Tolkien would have to be involved. It was far from an afterthought. Having Robin Hood, the Lollards and the Diggers involved were just extra pleasures that I indulged in.

Anyway, I hope you like it, because it was an idea that enchanted me from the moment I thought it up.
How is walse and cornwall doing ittl?

The Kingdom of Saxony shortly before the Congress of Vienna, before it lost large parts of her territory.
saxonypre1815.png

The Member States of the German Empire around 1914
kaiserreich1914.png

Both maps are about OTL, and made in VT-BAM using the THICC 2.2. color scheme

How would Jupiter even be terraformed and colonized? The planet's literally a ball of gas with an ultra-dense core in the middle...
We know this now, but that wasn't scientifically determined until fairly recently and only became common knowledge even more recently; one of the very first space opera novels, for example, 1900's The Struggle for Empire: A Story of the Year 2236 features fully colonized surfaces of the giant planets (although they're only mentioned in passing, so actually mapping it would be an exercise in speculation). While obviously it doesn't fit our current scientific understanding, there's absolutely room for retrofuturist, fantastical, and absurd maps in this thread.

And to be honest the super tiny maps are kind of adorable and (at least up to a point) are a neat way to give high level overviews of certain things that might prove intimidating or excessively bland to try to map precisely enough to fit on a regular, or even micro-worlda- e.g. certain overall population trends, broad ecological concepts, or, with a bit of imagination, comparative worlds of different broad alternate histories whose fine details might not be needed, or even simple maps of multiple fantastic or science fictional worlds where creating detailed large maps would be prohibitively time-consuming.

We know this now, but that wasn't scientifically determined until fairly recently and only became common knowledge even more recently; one of the very first space opera novels, for example, 1900's The Struggle for Empire: A Story of the Year 2236 features fully colonized surfaces of the giant planets (although they're only mentioned in passing, so actually mapping it would be an exercise in speculation). While obviously it doesn't fit our current scientific understanding, there's absolutely room for retrofuturist, fantastical, and absurd maps in this thread.

And to be honest the super tiny maps are kind of adorable and (at least up to a point) are a neat way to give high level overviews of certain things that might prove intimidating or excessively bland to try to map precisely enough to fit on a regular, or even micro-worlda- e.g. certain overall population trends, broad ecological concepts, or, with a bit of imagination, comparative worlds of different broad alternate histories whose fine details might not be needed, or even simple maps of multiple fantastic or science fictional worlds where creating detailed large maps would be prohibitively time-consuming.

Certainly in a Diesel-Punk setting.
Here's a 1941 Frank Paul illustration of a "City on Jupiter"

94d92d416593d99c5506ee1e655b9639.jpg

And here's a human visitor

life_on_jupiter.5s4r5j6fyp0kw4o0s888gsc0c.8v5ee8cm18w8kgcg8o4c8s4kg.th_-598x807.jpg

How would Jupiter even be terraformed and colonized? The planet's literally a ball of gas with an ultra-dense core in the middle...
Surprisingly easy, just build a bunch of floating continents and slowly link them together until you have the entire surface of a planet several times larger than Earth. If it's high enough in the atmosphere, then it even has standard Earth gravity.

Or alternatively, burn up the entire atmosphere by sucking it up for rocket fuel (nuclear fusion rockets that is), push Jupiter closer to the Sun, and terraform that lump of rock that used to its core. The core is about Earth sized anyway. Pretty sure Jupiter has more than enough hydrogen and oxygen to make all the water you'll need to terraform it too.
A Spanish Empire that doesn't contain any of Spain.

Seems legit.
A gazpacho-flavoured version of the Holy Britannian Empire from Code Geass I suppose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.