Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
VmaCs3H.png

Some Small map i wanted to make both to try to copy Keperry's style (i'm sorry), and to make a map in 1 hour, i ended up taking 1 h 30....

There isn't too much backstory, the idea was that Nazi germany divided France into 4 countries, trying to appeal to (already assimilated) regional cultures in brittany and "occitania"... It wouldn't work, at all in the south and not too well in brittany, then Burgundy is some SS state carved up from Invaded switzerland, the french forbidden zone and the Reichskomissariat of Belgium.

The whole thing would come crashing down in 1947 when the USSR, nearly defeated in 1942, manages to push the nazi back with american supplies, and the US and UK invade and nuke germany after a long air and land war around europe and the mediterranean sea.

Ah and Bordeaux is a German controlled city to have access to their large submarine base, since they don't trust the "Occitans" (really just vichy france) enough

Last edited:
Here's a fun little ASB idea I have in mind.

Gallia from Valkyria Chronicles series existed in OTL Europe. The PoD is 10.000 BCE or even earlier, where ASB decided to mess around with doggerland and low countries area.
Gallia-in-Europe_Borderless.png

And here's the 1935 map if WW1 happened as in OTL
Gallia-in-Europe.png

Yes but is it Germanic enough for Himmler?

Well seeing they didn't bother to change it OTL, the aryanised Flamenpolitik pursued by Hitler and if radical germanisation is what was applied then Brussels would be Bruhsiehl rather than Brüssel and Saint-Quentin should be Sankt Kwinten rather than Sankt Kinten so I'd say yes? Also you seemed to have placed Bruges where Ghent is.

Hey I'm Erin. I've been making alternate history garbage for a couple years but I've mostly been on reddit and deviantart until now. Here's my new thing if anyone cares to check it out:

vypdDJJ.png

Hey I'm Erin. I've been making alternate history garbage for a couple years but I've mostly been on reddit and deviantart until now. Here's my new thing if anyone cares to check it out:
What I should the pirate party anyways? I know there is some real one, but I am guessing it simply extents the use of piracy used for the two hundred years? I was surprised when looking up old political cartoons that people taking the stories, played, and patents others made in other countries and then sometimes copyrighting them for themselves. Do you have any backstory for how it came about here? I am guessing if there is a WWI POD that it connects to the Entente apparently declaring German patents void? That bit of odd questiinging aside, I am surprised there isn't some regional based parties. Also, the Westphalia that two leaders are based on here. Is it based off the Napoleonic Kingdom or on the pre-Napoleonic duchy and bishopric? Apparently they didn't have much geographic overlap. And it is interesting (the positive sort) that you have a North Hesse. I imagine this would actually be one of the few times in German history where they didn't either use Upper, Lower, Ducal, or some other sort of tacked on title to refer to an area. Also, is the territory of Hamburg in this country? Doesn't look like it, but I never can tell these things for sure.

EDIT: Also, do you base the western borders as excluding all the land occupied by the Entente after WWI in the Rhineland? Possibly including the areas the French moved into when the Germans refused to pay reparations?

Last edited:
Yes but is it Germanic enough for Himmler?
Well seeing they didn't bother to change it OTL, the aryanised Flamenpolitik pursued by Hitler and if radical germanisation is what was applied then Brussels would be Bruhsiehl rather than Brüssel and Saint-Quentin should be Sankt Kwinten rather than Sankt Kinten so I'd say yes? Also you seemed to have placed Bruges where Ghent is.
The Germans didn't officially annex Belgium and set up Reichsgaus until after the British and Americans drove them out of the majority of the country. At that time they officially set up a Distrikt Brüssel, instead of using French, Dutch, or Flemish words. I imagine they would have mostly just tried to remove French elements from place names and such. I imagine that the deliberate melding of Luxembourgish with French means it would vanish as a language.

DGYo0Hs.jpg

The Prussian League

"The Prussian League is a fascinating piece of the region's history. Unfortunately, it remains widely misunderstood and the complexities of its internal workings are left aside in favor of simple explanations of 'Prussian imperialism' or even 'monarchist solidarity'."
- Küllo Raud, "Germans in Estonia - From Order to League"

"Imagine being Willy 3 and realizing you literally have an army without a state, so you go and reconquer part of Prussia. Gotta make Voltaire proud lol"
- Franz_Olaf_Olaf_Olaf, "A Bigger Prussian League?" on www.historycounterfactuals.com

After the German Revolution in November 1918 and the resulting end to the Great War, peace only returned to part of Europe. The German Republic's withdrawal from the east, the poor state of the postwar German economy, and the legions of battle-hardened (or simply traumatized) young men in search of a future that could not be guaranteed by the Republic all contributed to the creation of an unusual alliance. Where and when the Prussian League came into existence is not entirely clear; some say it came to be as late as early 1922, when the name first became used in official legal documents, while others point to the correspondence of Rüdiger von der Goltz, Wilhelm Friedrich (later Wilhelm III), Carl Gustaf Mannerheim and Nikolai Yudenich as the nucleus of the later League. Beginning as cooperation between several anti-Bolshevik forces, the name 'Prussian League' (originally in German as Preußenbund) was used to describe the coalition/alliance by von der Goltz in 1920, when it was primarily comprised of German Freikorps (who were allowed into the area, but not otherwise supported, by the German Republic).

During the course of the Russian Civil War, the Prussian League grew to be the largest anti-Bolshevik faction in the west, temporarily including Poland as well. As the war came to a close and the Russian Federation was proclaimed, the various administrative bodies that had been assembled by advancing League forces were rapidly converted to a series of new states; while a portion of former League troops and the territory they held accepted entry into the Federation, the northern and western regions withdrew. Legally speaking, Pskov, Novgorod, Archangelsk and Ingria-Karelia are purely temporary in nature, states that will protect and look after the people until a legitimate Tsar returns to Moscow, avoiding republican influence in the meantime. By this point, the League had expected westwards as well, with Wilhelm Friedrich returning to Königsberg during the German Civil War of 1920.

Shortly after the civil war ended, Poland and the states under its influence began to withdraw from the League (though those who see the League as being created, rather than formalized, by the Rigan Treaties of 1922 will of course argue that Warsaw was never in the League and therefore did not leave), maintaining limited military and political cooperation until the mid-1920s. Apart from this change, and small shifts in the League's border with the Russian Federation, the Prussian League remained stable until the German invasion of Prussia.

Selected Details

The Kingdom of Finland:
Under what is often called the "triple-minority government" (the minorities referring to Swedish, Russian and German aristocrats, the latter two often émigrés fleeing their respective countries' revolutions), Finland has only slowly begun to heal the scars of the Finnish Civil War. Its army continues to be trained by Prussian officers, with Prussian bases scattered across the country, while remaining politically 'pure' so as to be reliable in the event of another civil war. An agreement between Finland and the Grand Duchy of Ingria-Karelia, brokered by Wilhelm III, oversees the slow transfer of more of Karelia to Finland.

The Kingdom of Prussia: Restored by the simultaneously enthroned Wilhelm III, the Kingdom of Prussia came about when the German Civil War turned against the monarchist forces, and it claims the entirety of Prussia's 1918 territory as well as its legitimacy as the only German state. With its forces hardened by the Great War, Russian Civil War and German Civil War, its western border heavily militarized and small forces based across the entire Prussian League, Prussia has returned from the grave and catapulted its way to being a regional power, for the time being.

Åland Islands/Ahvenanmaa: Currently host to the largest new-Prussian naval base in existence, the islands are in a peculiar situation due to a series of agreements between Prussia, Finland and Sweden. The interests of the island's inhabitants are represented by a special official from Sweden, and all official business on the islands is done bi- or trilingually (Swedish, Finnish and German being the languages in use); the Kingdom of Sweden also has special military observers on the island, on which Finland is barred from stationing troops of its own. The Prussian troops on the islands are under further restrictions based on these treaties, which also limit the size of artillery which can be placed on the island and number of off-duty members of the Prussian Army or Navy that are allowed on the island.

Variants

A number of variants of this map can be found here. This map is part of the same timeline as this, and this map.

What I should the pirate party anyways? I know there is some real one, but I am guessing it simply extents the use of piracy used for the two hundred years? I was surprised when looking up old political cartoons that people taking the stories, played, and patents others made in other countries and then sometimes copyrighting them for themselves. Do you have any backstory for how it came about here? I am guessing if there is a WWI POD that it connects to the Entente apparently declaring German patents void? That bit of odd questiinging aside, I am surprised there isn't some regional based parties. Also, the Westphalia that two leaders are based on here. Is it based off the Napoleonic Kingdom or on the pre-Napoleonic duchy and bishopric? Apparently they didn't have much geographic overlap. And it is interesting (the positive sort) that you have a North Hesse. I imagine this would actually be one of the few times in German history where they didn't either use Upper, Lower, Ducal, or some other sort of tacked on title to refer to an area. Also, is the territory of Hamburg in this country? Doesn't look like it, but I never can tell these things for sure.

I mean pirate parties are a broad thing IOTL, the German one has had membership in the tens of thousands for a couple years now and both they and the Swedish Pirate Party have representation on the European level whilst the Czech and Icelandic Pirate parties have become pretty major with large representations in parliament. They're not exclusively based around copyright laws/piracy, they're really just Digital Freedom parties these days, often in favour of E-Democracy, open internet in general, social liberalism and open government, often with a social libertarian bent.

Last edited:

Welcome here! And that is a very promising start to the board!

Also, welcome to another German - I am German myself. How did this Republic arise? Some "New Weimar Republic" scenario after World War II? Who governs Eastern Germany?

Another surprising thing is that the Allianz won two Länder/Gaue/Bezirke/whatever they are. I like it that a party led by Katja Kipping wins two Länder!

EDIT: I just assumed you were German since your first post was about an alternate German election. Then I saw Australia as your locator...

And I wrongly thought that the SPD had gotten more votes than Allianz. But that was the 2015 result.

Last edited:
The Prussian League

"The Prussian League is a fascinating piece of the region's history. Unfortunately, it remains widely misunderstood and the complexities of its internal workings are left aside in favor of simple explanations of 'Prussian imperialism' or even 'monarchist solidarity'."
- Küllo Raud, "Germans in Estonia - From Order to League"

"Imagine being Willy 3 and realizing you literally have an army without a state, so you go and reconquer part of Prussia. Gotta make Voltaire proud lol"
- Franz_Olaf_Olaf_Olaf, "A Bigger Prussian League?" on www.historycounterfactuals.com

Lovely! Has "mainland" Germany gone communist during the German Civil War? And from where did Wilhelm III. reconquer East Prussia with "an army without a state"?

I do like myself a nice, thin Germany. Excellent work, and besides the fact that Reda, Höcke, and Keller all IOTL were born outside of that Germany's borders, and that otherwise Bavarians are over-represented (which are both super nitpick-y arguments), I really love this. Looking forward to what else you'll post in the future.

The Germans didn't officially annex Belgium and set up Reichsgaus until after the British and Americans drove them out of the majority of the country. At that time they officially set up a Distrikt Brüssel, instead of using French, Dutch, or Flemish words. I imagine they would have mostly just tried to remove French elements from place names and such. I imagine that the deliberate melding of Luxembourgish with French means it would vanish as a language.

I am well aware of this, but I fail to see what effect it would have had on the naming of Antwerpen if they did. There is nothing French about the name Antwerpen so even by setting up a Reichgau Flandern back in say 1941 there would be no benefit for using a disused medieval name rather than the name they have already used for at least a century

Mango Soup

Gone Fishin'
VkhvfGk.png

It had been five hundred years since the fall of the United States of America, and history has largely repeated itself. In New Jersey, the state had organized into a multitude of itinerations before slowly falling in a libertarian death spiral to a new form of feudalism, with dukes and lords and everything. Thus, the Holy Jerseyan Empire was formed, in all its decentralized glory

As the new order came to be, three states became major powers of the region

The South Jerseyan Confederation - Loosely based off of the United States of old, it is the only "democratic" power in the region. However, it is practically a one party state, with the New Federalist Party ruling almost since its inception. It is frequently at war with Atlantia and Cape May, and is engaged in a cold war of sorts with the Duchy of Trent. One of the four electors of the HJC

Duchy of Trent - Based out of the former New Jersey capital of Trenton, the people of Trent have committed fully to the medieval LARPing. Duke Alexander II is a very benevolent autocrat. However, he is still an autocrat, with all the decadence that comes with that title. They are the main rival of the SJC and are one of the four electors of the HJC

Free City of Newark - After 200 years of devastation and being flooded with refugees from what was once New York City, the old city of Newark began to rise from the ashes. One of the founding members of the HJC, it is still an economic powerhouse. Also one of the four electors of the HJC

While these are the main players, many are nipping at their heals, including

Atlantia - A Kafkaesque bureaucratic state with a hedonistic side. No one is really sure what to make of it. Likely soon to merge with Cape May, its southern neighbor. Has the South jerseyan Confederation slightly concerned

Kingdom of Sussex - Became far more populated and less rural after refugees flooded from New York (and later the chaos in the Northeast of the former state). Pretty stable and free for a kingdom, and especially compared to some of her neighbors.

Free City of Hudson - Newark's primary competitor and in a bit of a trade war. Here's to hoping it doesn't become an actual war

And lastly, some more relevant states

The Serene State of Princeton - Just as pompous as it was when it was a university. The fourth elector and relatively peaceful. Run by a cabal of soft spoken wannabe aristocrats

Republic of Camden - God help ye who enter here. In nearly perpetual civil war and poverty. Only kept alive as a buffer between Trent and the confederation

Princedom of Brunswick - Thinks they are more powerful than they actually are.

Surrounding these states are tiny municipalities - turned - city states run usually by the descendants of whoever was richest family before the collapse. This is where the feudalism and poverty really shows.

Lovely! Has "mainland" Germany gone communist during the German Civil War? And from where did Wilhelm III. reconquer East Prussia with "an army without a state"?

Thanks!

The German Republic stayed democratic; the GCW was a bit of a mess, but actually rather "clean" in civil war terms. It was kicked off by a restorationist Kapp Kutsch that led to large regions of the east falling under monarchist/anti-revolutionary control, then Wilhelm III came in from the east, directly occupying land with Freikorps troops and local volunteers. The monarchist advance collapsed and they ended up getting chased all the way back to the Weichsel (AKA the Vistula).

I'm actually annoyed that I forgot to mention that - Wilhelm III was in Helsinki beforehand, which became a bit of a hub for German aristocracy and big businessmen following the revolution.

God, it's rare to see a map that does the Baltic justice, a rich area with unique history, one that I've obsessed over myself. Damned fine map. Damned fine. Might even inspire me to look into some new PODs in the region myself :p

I give it 10 Prussian Confederations out of 10.

Thanks! I think that the Baltic, and Eastern Europe in general, have a ton of good alt-hist potential in the interwar period, just because of the collapse of all major powers that would normally step in and say "no" and the quasi-blank slate they end up with, in terms of drawing borders and such.

dcunyw1-f00dd1a6-929e-4e92-845c-c650a586cba4.png

Vacuity Institute ZA0121 / Sub-Department of the “Vacuity Galactic and Universal Ministry” of the “Pan-German Multiverse Assembly”, of the “Pan-Germanic Bloc” in the “United Multiverse Assembly”.

###Incoming transmission###

Dear esteemed sibling/parallel-colleagues,

We have just received the latest micro-second batch of a billion parallel universes to our archives in the Lessing-428 Galaxy (one of a thousand galaxies dedicated to storing and cataloguing trillions upon trillions of ever expanding parallel universes). It seems our work is running very smoothly. We have already established contacts with over 95 percent of the Universe-grade Universes (approximately 50% of the parallel universes in the current batch) and 86 percent with Galactic-grade Universes. As per the “Solan-2.2.3-Convention” of the UMA (United Multiverse Assembly) we will begin reconnaissance/contact missions to 60 percent of Stellar and Solar-grade Universes and with 30 percent of Earth-grade Universes in a couple of days.

Also we are currently cooperating with the Templar, Germanic and Siamese Multiverse Assembly to improve our contact-output. Already we are cataloging over a quadrillion parallel universes every second, but that is just a drop in the ocean of the infinite multiverse. With our combined strength we can double or even triple our output. There is also talk of other Multiverse organization joining us.

As per our usual correspondence I have included a file of a parallel-universe, this should be the billionth parallel of my current universe. It seems like in this parallel the newborn child of Hochkaiser Friedrich-Wilhelm is a boy instead of twin girls.

Anyway for your information I will be taking a leave for the next three weeks. The “Z-Corp” Corporation has given me a special gift to establish my very own Capsule-Universe. (Authors note: Capsule Universes are limited/pocket universes, mostly around 10-15 light-years big, that are essentially artificially created copies of parallel Universes. These types of universes can be created when a point of divergence occurs – so that means every nanosecond – but the process of creation is very, very expensive so only the very rich can create one. And there are strict regulatory bodies that ensure that every person/private organization can only have two to three “personal” universes. I am lucky that my former employer ”Z-Corp” has given me this gift.)

I will be in contact again after the 21 days. So in the meantime I hope you enjoy the attachment I have included.

Yours truly Hochmeister Tancred von Altenburg

###End transmission###

Authors note: My very own "German wank to end all German wanks!"

Status
Not open for further replies.