Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Great Chinese plain. 2 million square kilometres of flat arable land. Home to 3 billion people it is one of the most densely populated land areas in the world.

gMMtpYl.png

Wittelsbach... Belgium?
Austrian Netherlands was traded with Bavaria, when the Bavarian Wittelsbachs went extinct. Or sonething like that.
Well I enjoy Habsburg wanks probably more than the next man, but how did they get so big!?!
I'm still working on the inital developments, but if I manage to get everything right, I will post a TL. In broad strikes though: Hungary and Bohemia are inherited by the Habsburgs early on, which prevents the partition of Hungary. The additional wealth from the TTL unravaged and completely Habsburg-controlled lands serve the Danubian Habsburgs right both against the Turks and during the Thirty Years' War of TTL. As a result, the Imperial authority remains slightly stronger compared to OTL, and Lusatia is retained as well. Later on the tides are slowly turning during the wars with the Ottomans, the Habsburgs slowly acquire the overall upperhand.

In Western Europe though, there are not many changes. Spain still begins to decline, and France is growing more powerful. The War of Spanish Succession goes like OTL. TTL there's no War of Austrian Succession, either because of no Habsburg extinction or because of the Habsburg realm appear to be too strong to challenge. TTL, Poland-Lithuania is still in decline and is participated between the Habsburgs, Russia, and Brandenburg-Prussia. The differences to OTL are, that Brandenburg-Prussia is only involved in the first and third partitions, where they get Royal Prussia then the cities of Danzig and Torun; and during the last partition, the Habsburgs claim the title of King of Poland, and the Romanovs claim the title of Grand Duke of Lithuania. Around the same time, the extinction of the Bavarian Wittelsbachs leads to the Habsburgs and Pfalzian Wittelsbachs trading Bavaria for Habsburg Netherlands.

At the very end of the decade, a very radical and ambitious Habsburg monarch aligns himself with the strongest duchies and pushes through the Imperial Diet the Secularisation and Mediatisation of the realms of the Empire. This leads to the Mediatisation War, where a league of smaller duchies supported by France rise up. France eventually drops out of the conflict due to financial problems(, but annexes the Imperial exclaves in Elsace and Lorraine), and the league is crushed. As another consequence, the duchies, which aligned themselves with the Emperor, receive new, higher titles(Grand Duke, King), while the Imperial title becomes hereditary.

It's still quite crude, but something like this.

Since I'm a big fan of Beedok's ISOT Alphabet Series, here is a series of posts containing all of the turns, so far.
Tragic that was never finished. She said its in infinite hiatus and she hasn't even been on the forum for over two months so I think that series is effectively dead. :(

Lusitania

Donor
Thanks for the suggestions, I was trying to think of names that would both satisfy the multinational/ethnic/religious/linguistic groups within the borders and also not suggest anything to scare or worry about irredentist claims to the outside.

Britannia is unquestionable. Francia has no other choice really (Bourbonia). Iberia (does it suggest claims on Catalan/Basque?)/Lusitania/Hispania.

Scandinavia is obvious though the name hasn't been invented yet, and has etymology just from Scania so maybe Kalmaria (sounds like a food) or Norsia/Nordia

Russia. Sinia/Chinia/Qingia, whatever works, Korea and Dai Viet are too insignificant to get matter. Nipponia.

Ayuttahaya or Burma but I want a name for everywhere. Indochina is a shit name and also hasn't been invented yet.

Bharatia could work though it's very Hindu/Sanskrit but what else would you use to unify the continent?

Osmania Caliphate, rightful ruler of all muslims

I was thinking Germania/Prussia, maybe name it after a river or the low saxon language that unites them but Saxonia might go for Austria.

Austria could be Danubia if it's a little longer. Hapsburgia perhaps.

Balkan hasn't been invented yet and etymologically is a bit rubbish too, the mountain range is pretty small and north. Rumania is an idea that's what the Ottomans call it but that really means Romans and that means Greeks. Still its something.

Sicilia is a good choice. And Italia isn't an issue either.
Except that colonization and control of Iberian peninsula looks more like a Lisbon Iberian union with France conquering Aragon.

Tragic that was never finished. She said its in infinite hiatus and she hasn't even been on the forum for over two months so I think that series is effectively dead. :(
Still, we got plenty of quality maps from that series, plus the stuff from the Alphabet ISOts from several years back that inspired it, plus the five other people making maps about various isots, including those using the Hindu alphabet. And really, while she was getting near the end of the series she was going to have to deal with things similar to Oman, in which a few small countries are around the world, part of why I wish she had perhaps had the DRC go as Zaire or something, to keep Zambia and Zimbabwe company. And maybe Zargentina. Seriously, you should keep the inspiring thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.