Map Thread XVIII

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by FesteringSpore, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Thanosaekk Well-Known Member

That's quite an interesting scenario. As for suggestions,

1. United Kingdom
    2. France
    3. Spain (assuming they invaded and took control of Portugal) or Iberia
    4. Sweden/Scandinavia/New Kalmar Union?
    5. Russia
    6. Qing China
    7. Japan
    8. Assuming Thailand created that state, it could be the Ayuttahaya Kingdom
    9. Bharat, maybe? (the original Hindi name for India)
    10. Ottoman Empire
    11. Prussia/North German Confederation
    12. Austrian Empire
    13. Balkan Confederation? Maybe something that combines the major ethnicities (like the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes but for the entire Balkans)
    14. Kingdom of Two Sicilies
    15. Papal states if unified by them, something like Kingdom of Italy or Republic of Italy if not

RMcD94 likes this.
  2. RMcD94 Well-Known Member

Dominion of Scotland, Imperial Commonwealth
    Thanks for the suggestions, I was trying to think of names that would both satisfy the multinational/ethnic/religious/linguistic groups within the borders and also not suggest anything to scare or worry about irredentist claims to the outside.

Britannia is unquestionable. Francia has no other choice really (Bourbonia). Iberia (does it suggest claims on Catalan/Basque?)/Lusitania/Hispania.

Scandinavia is obvious though the name hasn't been invented yet, and has etymology just from Scania so maybe Kalmaria (sounds like a food) or Norsia/Nordia

Russia. Sinia/Chinia/Qingia, whatever works, Korea and Dai Viet are too insignificant to get matter. Nipponia.

Ayuttahaya or Burma but I want a name for everywhere. Indochina is a shit name and also hasn't been invented yet.

Bharatia could work though it's very Hindu/Sanskrit but what else would you use to unify the continent?

Osmania Caliphate, rightful ruler of all muslims

I was thinking Germania/Prussia, maybe name it after a river or the low saxon language that unites them but Saxonia might go for Austria.

Austria could be Danubia if it's a little longer. Hapsburgia perhaps.

Balkan hasn't been invented yet and etymologically is a bit rubbish too, the mountain range is pretty small and north. Rumania is an idea that's what the Ottomans call it but that really means Romans and that means Greeks. Still its something.

Sicilia is a good choice. And Italia isn't an issue either.

Gokbay and Ferd42 like this.
  3. MrImperatorRoma Stahlvelkan Grand Admiral

Great stuff! But could you not erase my credit for making the original basemap next time? Thanks!

4. Izayoi_Alpha Subscribe to Jablinski Games

Ah, very sorry. Will edit my post later.

5. Fehérvári Well-Known Member

Here's a little something I made today:
    upload_2019-4-16_2-37-58.png
    What do you think?

6. DracoLazarus Master of Punkind

Damn it Von Habsburg !

Fehérvári likes this.
  7. SeaCambrian Well-Known Member

Wittelsbach... Belgium?

Bomster and Fehérvári like this.
  8. Planita13 Wishing for a Lake

[​IMG]

This is this an updated map based upon new canon from this old map

So there is a region called the Salton Sink in Southern California where a rather large region sits below sea level. Right now it contains the much smaller Salton Sea which was created by accident in the early 20th century. However in the past, the Colorado River once emptied directly into the Sink, creating a massive lake
    . It last dried up in the 16th century when the Colorado River shifted from emptying into the lake.

The river naturally shifts its course through natural processes, but here I made a scenario where the Colorado continues to empty into the Salton Sea into the modern era. Now with technology we can build infrastructure to prevent it from draining directly into the ocean as per OTL.

9. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Afrika_Reich.png
    My attempt at depicting Guy Seville's The Afrika Reich.

It's another Nazi victory, but with a twist. In this timeline, the Battle of Dunkirk is a miserable failure, with 80,000 killed and 200,000 taken prisoner. Churchill is forced into resign and Lord Halifax becomes Prime Minister. In exchange for the prisoners, Britain signs a non-aggression pact with Germany, promising not to intervene in their war with the USSR. As a result, Operation Barbarossa is launched two months ahead of schedule, allowing the Nazis to take Moscow by October. This effectively ends the war in Europe, beginning a new age of colonialism as German and Italy set their sights on Africa.

1942 marks the start of Germany's assimilation of French and Belgian colonies, as well as the mass deportation of Jews to Madagascar. Calls for independence flare up across the British Empire. The British themselves still wage war with Italy until the Casablanca Conference in December 1943. Here, Germany, Britain, Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Vichy France all agree to divide up Africa between themselves, while the Union of South Africa will become a neutral, independent nation. Lord Halifax, wanting to ensure peace and prosperity for the empire, agrees.

August 1943 also marks the push of the Soviets across the Urals, completing Hitler's plan for Lebensraum. Soviet Guerrilla forces continue the fight long afterward.

Meanwhile, Japan still attacks Pearl Harbor on schedule, leading America to declare war and fight against the Japanese alone, eventually launching an invasion of the home islands in 1946. The Japanese Empire, never having a chance against America, falls.

The European Powers begin a gradual and thorough reconstruction of Africa to their liking, including building an enormous autobahn network across the continent. The SS are put in charge of policing and securing industry, agriculture, and "ethnic reallocation." That is, killing and deporting Black Africans to the Sahara. While many colonies, including India, become independent from Britain, they remain in power in Africa, with an uneasy truce between them and Germany.

By 1952, Europe's Jewish population has almost entirely been deported, while Africa guerrilla forces have driven Germany to invade and annex Portuguese Angola to hunt them down. They receive word that a plot to assassinate Walter Hochburg, the German Governor General of the Kongo, is already in effect, and tensions are running high.

10. Imperator Frank Tellurian Worldbuilder

What is the status of France and Netherlands' possessions in the new world?

11. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

The books don't specify, but I'd say odds are they either declared independence, since Germany and Italy are mostly interested in Africa, or they're home to French and Dutch governments in exile.

Imperator Frank likes this.
  12. Flashman A Real Go-Getter

upload_2019-4-16_0-44-41.png

Ideal North America.

13. Peyton Stephen Colbert 2020

I decided "hey, why not create a fictional world and write a story in it." So this is the planet of Oran in the first year after the Great War. The Great War was basically everyone against the Kingdom of Tanzia and her puppet, the Duchy of Atria. The war ended with the independence of the Kingdom of Utland. Help with city names would be much appreciated. The Kingdom of Atlan is unknown to everyone except the Elvish Empire, and both of which are the most technologically advanced civilizations on the planet.

I only included the 31 most populous cities. There are at least 50 other cities and settlements.

Tanzia, the Kingdom of the Two Rivers, and Atria are pretty much populated by Humans or "the Norse" while Utland is a mix of the Norse and Elves, who get along well with each other. Atlan, Frizen, and the Elvish Empire (duh) are populated by Elves. Equaltia is populated by Norse who left Tanzia for religious reasons.

Most nations have a King who is elected by Governors every 5 years.

[​IMG]

14. Bleh Well-Known Member

"Anza shores". I spent my whole childhood going out to Anza-Borrego on family trips, I fucking love this idea.

Planita13 likes this.
  15. Gwrtheyrn Annwn A Welshman at Heart

Well I enjoy Habsburg wanks probably more than the next man, but how did they get so big!?!
    There was actually a proposal during Joseph II's reign to swap Bavaria for the Austrian Netherlands. Voila, Wittelsbach Belgium!

Dr. Niles, SeaCambrian and Crying like this.
  16. Drex Alférez de caballería

Don't mind me, just a protestant French Dixie passing by...
    [​IMG]

17. TrucKola Raccoon Emperor of Gaulish Brennusia

*engages Francophobic laser eyes*
    hunting-raccoon-at-night.jpg

wtw, Bomster, CtrlAltHistory and 10 others like this.
  18. Sovereign12 Well-Known Member

Here is my attempt.

RMcD94 likes this.
  19. Planita13 Wishing for a Lake

Same here! Its a wonderful place, especially here in TTL.

Bleh likes this.
  20. TheDetailer Fan of Mythical Creatures and Alternate History

Since I'm a big fan of Beedok's ISOT Alphabet Series, here is a series of posts containing all of the turns, so far.