Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks for the suggestions, I was trying to think of names that would both satisfy the multinational/ethnic/religious/linguistic groups within the borders and also not suggest anything to scare or worry about irredentist claims to the outside.

Britannia is unquestionable. Francia has no other choice really (Bourbonia). Iberia (does it suggest claims on Catalan/Basque?)/Lusitania/Hispania.

Scandinavia is obvious though the name hasn't been invented yet, and has etymology just from Scania so maybe Kalmaria (sounds like a food) or Norsia/Nordia

Russia. Sinia/Chinia/Qingia, whatever works, Korea and Dai Viet are too insignificant to get matter. Nipponia.

Ayuttahaya or Burma but I want a name for everywhere. Indochina is a shit name and also hasn't been invented yet.

Bharatia could work though it's very Hindu/Sanskrit but what else would you use to unify the continent?

Osmania Caliphate, rightful ruler of all muslims

I was thinking Germania/Prussia, maybe name it after a river or the low saxon language that unites them but Saxonia might go for Austria.

Austria could be Danubia if it's a little longer. Hapsburgia perhaps.

Balkan hasn't been invented yet and etymologically is a bit rubbish too, the mountain range is pretty small and north. Rumania is an idea that's what the Ottomans call it but that really means Romans and that means Greeks. Still its something.

Sicilia is a good choice. And Italia isn't an issue either.

Here's a little something I made today:
upload_2019-4-16_2-37-58.png

What do you think?

JLn3di6.png

This is this an updated map based upon new canon from this old map

So there is a region called the Salton Sink in Southern California where a rather large region sits below sea level. Right now it contains the much smaller Salton Sea which was created by accident in the early 20th century. However in the past, the Colorado River once emptied directly into the Sink, creating a massive lake
. It last dried up in the 16th century when the Colorado River shifted from emptying into the lake.

The river naturally shifts its course through natural processes, but here I made a scenario where the Colorado continues to empty into the Salton Sea into the modern era. Now with technology we can build infrastructure to prevent it from draining directly into the ocean as per OTL.

Afrika_Reich.png

My attempt at depicting Guy Seville's The Afrika Reich.

It's another Nazi victory, but with a twist. In this timeline, the Battle of Dunkirk is a miserable failure, with 80,000 killed and 200,000 taken prisoner. Churchill is forced into resign and Lord Halifax becomes Prime Minister. In exchange for the prisoners, Britain signs a non-aggression pact with Germany, promising not to intervene in their war with the USSR. As a result, Operation Barbarossa is launched two months ahead of schedule, allowing the Nazis to take Moscow by October. This effectively ends the war in Europe, beginning a new age of colonialism as German and Italy set their sights on Africa.

1942 marks the start of Germany's assimilation of French and Belgian colonies, as well as the mass deportation of Jews to Madagascar. Calls for independence flare up across the British Empire. The British themselves still wage war with Italy until the Casablanca Conference in December 1943. Here, Germany, Britain, Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Vichy France all agree to divide up Africa between themselves, while the Union of South Africa will become a neutral, independent nation. Lord Halifax, wanting to ensure peace and prosperity for the empire, agrees.

August 1943 also marks the push of the Soviets across the Urals, completing Hitler's plan for Lebensraum. Soviet Guerrilla forces continue the fight long afterward.

Meanwhile, Japan still attacks Pearl Harbor on schedule, leading America to declare war and fight against the Japanese alone, eventually launching an invasion of the home islands in 1946. The Japanese Empire, never having a chance against America, falls.

The European Powers begin a gradual and thorough reconstruction of Africa to their liking, including building an enormous autobahn network across the continent. The SS are put in charge of policing and securing industry, agriculture, and "ethnic reallocation." That is, killing and deporting Black Africans to the Sahara. While many colonies, including India, become independent from Britain, they remain in power in Africa, with an uneasy truce between them and Germany.

By 1952, Europe's Jewish population has almost entirely been deported, while Africa guerrilla forces have driven Germany to invade and annex Portuguese Angola to hunt them down. They receive word that a plot to assassinate Walter Hochburg, the German Governor General of the Kongo, is already in effect, and tensions are running high.

I decided "hey, why not create a fictional world and write a story in it." So this is the planet of Oran in the first year after the Great War. The Great War was basically everyone against the Kingdom of Tanzia and her puppet, the Duchy of Atria. The war ended with the independence of the Kingdom of Utland. Help with city names would be much appreciated. The Kingdom of Atlan is unknown to everyone except the Elvish Empire, and both of which are the most technologically advanced civilizations on the planet.

I only included the 31 most populous cities. There are at least 50 other cities and settlements.

Tanzia, the Kingdom of the Two Rivers, and Atria are pretty much populated by Humans or "the Norse" while Utland is a mix of the Norse and Elves, who get along well with each other. Atlan, Frizen, and the Elvish Empire (duh) are populated by Elves. Equaltia is populated by Norse who left Tanzia for religious reasons.

Most nations have a King who is elected by Governors every 5 years.

LkYO0xY.png

JLn3di6.png

This is this an updated map based upon new canon from this old map

So there is a region called the Salton Sink in Southern California where a rather large region sits below sea level. Right now it contains the much smaller Salton Sea which was created by accident in the early 20th century. However in the past, the Colorado River once emptied directly into the Sink, creating a massive lake
. It last dried up in the 16th century when the Colorado River shifted from emptying into the lake.

The river naturally shifts its course through natural processes, but here I made a scenario where the Colorado continues to empty into the Salton Sea into the modern era. Now with technology we can build infrastructure to prevent it from draining directly into the ocean as per OTL.
"Anza shores". I spent my whole childhood going out to Anza-Borrego on family trips, I fucking love this idea.

Here is my attempt.

After many years the war ends inconclusively between the two sides but clear winners in terms of surviving countries.

Ignoring Africa and Indonesia what are the names of these countries? Borders not perfect

1 (pink): British Empire
2 (blue): Empire of France
3 (green): Empire of Hispania
4 (blue): Scandinavian Union
5 (brown): Russian Empire
6 (green): Qing Empire
7 (yellow): Empire of Nippon
8 (purple): Empire of Bod (Tibet)
9 (lilac): Mughal Empire
10 (green): Greater Khorasan Caliphate
11 (blue): United Kingdom of Deutschland and Poland
12 (burgundy): Austrian-Hungarian Empire
13 (purple): Fourth Greek Empire
14 (green): Republic of Corsica and Siciliy
15 (paper): Republic of Genoa

View attachment 453410

Since I'm a big fan of Beedok's ISOT Alphabet Series, here is a series of posts containing all of the turns, so far.

OH right, I forgot about this. I'll use this for the ISOTs rather than starting a totally new thread.View attachment 277956 View attachment 277957 View attachment 277958 View attachment 277959 View attachment 277960

A few Greek soldiers sat around their radio, scrolling through the frequencies. Albania across the border had just vanished in a flash of light a few hours earlier, and reports from higher ups said that all the other nations Greece bordered had vanished as well. Soldiers not sent to towns and cities to keep order as the rumours spread had been assigned to listen on radios for any signs of life. This particular group had pulled out a bottle of wine after a couple hours, figuring if the world had come to an end they could probably sneak a bit of alcohol on the job. By this point they were a little drunker than they'd intended to become.

Eventually one spoke out: "Well, at least there's a slight silver lining."

"Oh?" a younger soldier asked.

"The debt crisis is solved at least," the somewhat drunk man laughed.

"Thank God for small blessings," another laughed, "Let's drink to that. At least something good has come of this."

As the men drank their toasts the radio finally spluttered to life: "This is the Federal Republic of Germany. Is there anyone out there?"

Several men spat out their wine.

View attachment 279528

Meh... It went better than the France one.
View attachment 281623

Maybe I forgot to put it on here...

View attachment 332041

Status
Not open for further replies.