Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
jesus, that sounds awful. i imagine the european powers are having difficulty subduing the native africans?
Virgin Land means uninhabited by humans.
When's the sequel where we see 2018 Africa ISOTed to Virigin Earth?
Here's the closest thing. I'm not sure if I will give a modern day version a try because of my lack knowledge about many African countries and the fact that in the case of those dependent on food aid things are likely to get... messy.
>Implying the major countries, like China and India, wouldn't just gobble up the entire continent and shoot anyone who tries to get in on it before them.
They don't have the projection power for that, China is a bit to far away and while India was able to quickly start transporting settlers to the Horn of Africa en masse it's tough building infrastructure in untamed wilderness and difficult to justify when as a developing country they are still struggling to build it back home.

N A T U R A L O R D E R I S C H A O S

RNDBE2q.png

Y O U S T I L L D O N T K N O W H I S N A M E D O Y O U

KInda reminds me of Bionicle's world map with all of it's continent domes

They don't have the projection power for that, China is a bit to far away and while India was able to quickly start transporting settlers to the Horn of Africa en masse it's tough building infrastructure in untamed wilderness and difficult to justify when as a developing country they are still struggling to build it back home.
India has enough justification in that India has more people than all of Europe combined and that Africa could help them to industrialize, plus it's close, not to mention that India is going to gobble up a lot of the Red Sea coastal areas and South Africa too. Ultimately, I can see Europe getting small slivers on the mediterranean coast, but not a whole lot more.

Effects of Hurricane Catherine on Lower Louisiana in 2005.
https://i.redd.it/kke9v2ikqca11.png

Hi! This is a small alternate history map in a timeline where Napoléon kept Louisiana and it survived until today (yes i know it's not the most realistic timeline since louisiane was under populated and vulnerable to british or american invasions)

I know that because of the Butterfly effect, the probabilities of Hurricane Katrina happening at the same time and in the same way as IRL are nearly 0, but i decided to keep the hurricane (with a different name) just for fun.

Reddit thread
Considering the maps I have seen of the amount of the state under water... I can only hope that they brought a load of Dutchmen over to help things out. Anyways, somehow bizarre Napoleon managed to keep it. Didnhe sell any of the northern claims? I am guessing that if the New Yorkers got their canals in order quickly and Nappy made sure to keep toll prices for American shipping, he could perhaps get away with it. Depended if he kept to his plan of having Louisiana being used used as the sole supplier of supplies to the newly reenslaved Haiti. Going to guess... not. As for the butterfly effect, you are probably fine. There tends to be a massive hurricane every couple of years. The big problem had been the US expanding the city so much over the previous century and a half into areas at risk. Kind of like how in California so many neighborhoods burn because they were built in former shrubland and canyons,

Why is Portugal of all nations allowed to stake a claim to the part of Africa where the Ghana Empire and later states obtained their fame as great exporters of gold? Virgin Africa means that all those resources are going back in the ground, and there will be quite a gold rush to that region, no doubt, despite the harsh climate.

India has enough justification in that India has more people than all of Europe combined and that Africa could help them to industrialize, plus it's close, not to mention that India is going to gobble up a lot of the Red Sea coastal areas and South Africa too. Ultimately, I can see Europe getting small slivers on the mediterranean coast, but not a whole lot more.

If India can't industrialise with all the resources of India, then all the resources of virgin Africa won't help them. That said, India has some decent claims thanks to the (vanished) Indian diaspora in East Africa.

So, this map’s premise is Africa (the land and territorial waters of the African Union member states) is replaced by virgin land (common definition as used for most other ISOT's) on new years day 2018.
I am surprised that there is not areas set aside to be international zones like Antartica is. And that India chose very dry area for themselves instead of going for the area the Chinese took. Plus Yemen has about twenty eight million people, so I would say you could get loads of them to head directly over into Africa. Also, the African Diaspora is listed on Wikipedia as on hundred forty million. A majority went to the Americas centuries ago, but I would say there should be a couple million who came over in the past decades to Europe, the Americas, etc. On a side note, absolutely no reason for Greenland to declare independence. They already know they can't make it on there own and have near total autonomy. Pretty much all the Danes do is subsidies their sheep farmers and keep the Canadians away from claiming their islands.

Did you do this from memory? Good eye. History could oft have benefited from such attention to detail in the Balkans :openedeyewink:
If you ever question humanity's cultural /societal progress in the last 100 years, remember that today's children in math lessons can do politics on the Balkan better than highly trained elite politicians 100 years ago

Why is Portugal of all nations allowed to stake a claim to the part of Africa where the Ghana Empire and later states obtained their fame as great exporters of gold? Virgin Africa means that all those resources are going back in the ground, and there will be quite a gold rush to that region, no doubt, despite the harsh climate.
Originally Portugal claimed it's former colonies, then when Mozambiqe and Angola were awarded to other countries they expanded their claim in Guinea. Besides, there’s known gold deposits in lot’s of places now. Also, as I said in the write up there’s not much distinction when you cross a national border in AU Africa, so anyone else from Europe can come and prospect for gold if they want.
I am surprised that there is not areas set aside to be international zones like Antartica is. And that India chose very dry area for themselves instead of going for the area the Chinese took. Plus Yemen has about twenty eight million people, so I would say you could get loads of them to head directly over into Africa. Also, the African Diaspora is listed on Wikipedia as on hundred forty million. A majority went to the Americas centuries ago, but I would say there should be a couple million who came over in the past decades to Europe, the Americas, etc. On a side note, absolutely no reason for Greenland to declare independence. They already know they can't make it on there own and have near total autonomy. Pretty much all the Danes do is subsidies their sheep farmers and keep the Canadians away from claiming their islands.
India’s zone is a bit dry, but it is also strategic for shipping and inland has the upper half of the Nile River. The border was also tweaked a bit in China’s favor so they would drop their claims to South Tibet. There are certainly Yéménites in Africa but their country was in no position to stake a claim to its own sovereign territory. My impression was that Greenland is desirous of independence OTL OTL and working towards such a goal. Also all of the other EU members were integrating their remaining overseas territories and they were concerned Denmark might try to do the same.

As for international protected zones like Antartica, there's non of those because that would lock up too many recourses. The 35% of each country should be protected land rule was accepted because that gives everyone discretion over what land exactly to protect.(and what to leave unprotected)

Last edited:
Thanks so much, I do try and be as original as possible with my maps. I would love to see what you come up with, for sure.

Quite simply because Espanja, among private enterprises, had sense to settle there. It's near enough to their existing colonies -particularly by maritime travel- and climatically suited to what they were trying to achieve in the region; watermelon, cannabis and sugar, among other things.

I believe Röm definitely has, as they would need a way-station on their way to the Römisch *Amazon. Skotland might do, but their most successful colony is in north-east NA around Quebec and New England. They might have some of the Leewards, but probably nothing so large as Haiti or Cuba. Y'see it's this sort of thing that Kirbs and I are talking about; we're not sure how the Caribbean will be divied up, we're still figuring out exactly how Europe is put together.

- That's fair, I figured it had to do with the fact that Essàfaleia was developed as essentially a federation of Imperially-sponsored corporatocracies, rather than a true settler colony in the OTL sense.

- Oh yeah, I forgot in @HatKirby's map that the *Römisch owned the Amazon. Strange that they didn't take the rest of *Brazil (since that's where the best farming and mining land is), but then again that's looking at it from a settler's point of view. In any case, I figured at least one major island would belong to Röm in that instance. As for Skotland, if you're not opposed to OTL parallelism there's always Montserrat (Jamaica at the utmost, but that's probably a stretch TBH).

Originally Portugal claimed it's former colonies, then when Mozambiqe and Angola were awarded to other countries they expanded their claim in Guinea. Besides, there’s known gold deposits in lot’s of places now. Also, as I said in the write up there’s not much distinction when you cross a national border in AU Africa, so anyone else from Europe can come and prospect for gold if they want.
India’s zone is a bit dry, but it is also strategic for shipping and inland has the upper half of the Nile River. The border was also tweaked a bit in China’s favor so they would drop their claims to South Tibet. There are certainly Yéménites in Africa but their country was in no position to stake a claim to its own sovereign territory. My impression was that Greenland is desirous of independence OTL OTL and working towards such a goal. Also all of the other EU members were integrating their remaining overseas territories and they were concerned Denmark might try to do the same.

I feel you might want to think about Sierra Leone and Liberia if you do make another map. Namely, creating states where you have surplus of people you don't want. Saying this about any group is rather racist of course, but I do recall it being touched on in various ISOT maps, in which various countries set up states for foreign nationals they have loads of. The French would easily be able to set up a few states with the Moroccans, Algerians, Tunisians, and Subsaharan Africans they have, and integrate them as overseas proinvdes or just have them as sattelite states. I feel the French would really prefer this over the territory shown on your map. After all, if they have Algeria, Moroccoa, Guinea, Coe De Ivorian and Senegal as French subsidiaries, then they can get that relatively worthless area of the Sahara between it easily. As for Greenland, they like the Faroes Islands are basically in personal union with Denmark. I don't know of any independence movement. As for Yemen not being in a position to stake a claim, I would say being the closest country to Africa besides Morocco and Israel would give them a leg up. Possession is nine tenths of the law, and the Indians would need to drive people away to take the land. Even the Berlin Conference required European countries to take control of land themselves and to get the consent of local rulers and people in order for other European countries to accept the claims,

As for your thing with Portugal, keep in mind they have bad memories of that area. I think it was exclusively used in the slave trade. Also, what is your story behind the British in Cameroon? Why give an area originally withotu any people Seven Home Countries?

It's Wilhelm I getting assassinated in 1878.
Ah, okay. So I suppose Makuria is just a name adopted by TTL!Sudan for an 'appeal to the past' thing rather than an actual Nubian-majority (or at least Nubian-controlled) State coming into existence?

Also, whats up with 'Airyanam'? I highly doubt Iran has made a sudden return to Zoroastrianism with a POD that late, so what made the Iranians decide to go with that instead of Persia, Iran or something like 'Aryanistan'?

Last edited:

Isaac Beach

Banned
- That's fair, I figured it had to do with the fact that Essàfaleia was developed as essentially a federation of Imperially-sponsored corporatocracies, rather than a true settler colony in the OTL sense.

- Oh yeah, I forgot in @HatKirby's map that the *Römisch owned the Amazon. Strange that they didn't take the rest of *Brazil (since that's where the best farming and mining land is), but then again that's looking at it from a settler's point of view. In any case, I figured at least one major island would belong to Röm in that instance. As for Skotland, if you're not opposed to OTL parallelism there's always Montserrat (Jamaica at the utmost, but that's probably a stretch TBH).

That is in fact a much more succinct way of phrasing up the process of colonisation then I seemed capable of mustering. Yes, Imperially-sponsored corporatocracies.

Well there were myriad reasons for that. More active trade prior to colonization, as mentioned in the map, had allowed native states to gain some resistance to Old World diseases and grow in number and so there was quite some stiff resistance to colonialism particularly in those denser and more temperate coastal regions. They also had active competition from other powers like Mauretania, Haraf and Cheganny*.
But more importantly the Amazon has several key resources which are much more sought after than IOTL in the same time period: timber, phosphorus and natural latex. The timber is for obvious reasons, but herein specifically to be used in stratolaminate, an early form of plywood that was initially developed in the Kingdom of Angelcynn. Phosphorus is used to make special glass for sodium-vapor lamps, which saw widespread application throughout Röm in this period and in smaller amounts for fertilizer and some interesting culinary applications. Natural latex is used for rubber which has hundreds of uses in and of itself, as well as medicine and glue, and perhaps most uniquely for armour. Rubber is a very effective distributor of force, and so actually works quite well against blunt force trauma and even gunfire, to a point. Rubber plating, usually within a steel shell, is quite common in this period on infantry and some heavy cavalry and would remain so up until the present day as the development of anti-ballistic rubber essentially kept in lockstep with ballistics themselves**.
In any event I think they might control one of the Virgin Islands, but I need to broach it properly with Hatkirby. I'm really not comfortable giving any solid implications about the state of the Caribbean given we don't even acutely know what Western Europe looks like (outside of Iberia, anyhow).

*Corresponding, roughly, with OTL Mauritania, northern Morocco, and Germany + Denmark, respectively.
**I've clearly thought an awful lot about the Amazon. 'Tis a fascinating place.

Status
Not open for further replies.