Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very recent development. A few generations ago, people didn't speak French in a lot of those areas. Public schools making French the only language taught did that. His map is also accurate in that Catalonian is more closely related to Occitan than anything. To the point it's close to mutually intelligible.

A few generations ago, people didn't speak French outside of the greater Paris metro area, never mind in Occitania.

Rolling It’s Mile-Wide Tide Along: Essàfaleia

Even if I WASN'T a big fan of y'all's Darceny-verse (which I am; German Mediterranean, Celtic Britain, Slavic France, and Viking Ireland FTW), this is one of the coolest "alternate-South" maps I've seen in awhile! That's the kind of thing I could see using as a starting point on my own map (hypothetically anyway).

Though I must ask, why are so much of the Carolinas part of Essàfaleia? Nothing wrong with it, just weird to me.

Also, please tell me Skotland and Röm get some tropical holdings too...*Irish Cuba perhaps? :p And then again having some stable and modern Native states is double cool.

Effects of Hurricane Catherine on Lower Louisiana in 2005.

kke9v2ikqca11.png

Hi! This is a small alternate history map in a timeline where Napoléon kept Louisiana and it survived until today (yes i know it's not the most realistic timeline since louisiane was under populated and vulnerable to british or american invasions)

I know that because of the Butterfly effect, the probabilities of Hurricane Katrina happening at the same time and in the same way as IRL are nearly 0, but i decided to keep the hurricane (with a different name) just for fun.

Reddit thread

So, this map’s premise is Africa (the land and territorial waters of the African Union member states) is replaced by virgin land (common definition as used for most other ISOT's) on new years day 2018.

Main points:
  • Flag planting and preliminary settlement of highly valued areas (Cape Town, Cairo, Suez, Algeria, etc.) started only months after the ISOT
  • Africa was partitioned (on paper only for a while but still) in mid 2019 between 17 countries by way of a multilateral treaty signed by the partitioners and whoever they conned into supporting them and only passed the U.N. years later despite being a fait accompli.
  • Antarctic claims were traded around to bribe a few more countries into supporting the Africa partition treaty
  • Greenlandic independence was achieved in the 2030's without much fanfare. Harbouring a mild dislike of the EU but eventually concluding that handling their own foreign policy was too expensive they have entered into an autonomous relationship with Canada similar to what the Cook Islands enjoy with New Zealand.
  • Neuvo Gran Colombia has been a very successful federation and is looking to expand north into Central America
  • The Cypriot agreement was a precursor to Turkish entry into the EU. Specifically, Turkey agreed to end recognition of and military support to (some would say occupation of) northern Cyprus in exchange for recognition of their claim to the Nile river valley and most of Mediterranean Egypt, where any Turkish nationalist Cypriots were offered to be resettled.
  • At the same time Greek nationalist Cypriots were also given the option to be go to Cyrenaica and Cyprus was recognized by Turkey as an independent state and an EU member.
  • The percentage of African land protected by treaty is 35% but it can be traded between countries so not everyone needs to place that much land under protection if other countries protect more.
  • While everywhere else in Africa the lands colonized post ISOT have been incorporated as part of the mother county this is not the case for the French Sahara Territory. This massive but unpopulated region is the remnant of France’s original claims to all of Northern Africa after all the valuable coasts were awarded to other countries to get the treaty passed. It also makes a great place to point to and say “look how much land we’re protecting” whenever people make noise about the ecological damage being done to Madagascar.
  • Israel now encompasses all of the former mandate of Palestine plus the Sinai Peninsula and a stretch of the Egyptian Red Sea coast.
  • Many Palestinians were resettled along the Nile river in Turkish Egypt
  • The new Suez Canal is equal parts Israeli, American, and European Union financed.
  • Mexico has no land of her own in Africa due to the weak position of its government at the time of partition but does have a large expatriate population in Spanish, Argentine, and especially American Africa.
  • Russia haven’t had the greatest time. Without getting a cut of the pie that brought new economic opportunities to so many other countries they have stagnated. They did manage to get their annexations in the caucuses recognized for their compliance and have spent most of their energy since on the Eurasian Union (Kazakhstan and Belarus are game but nobody else) but never federated. Just holding Ukraine back from joining the EU has been a full time job for the last decade and they are about to give up trying on that front.
  • Many Belizeians moved to the American and British colonies in Africa leaving their country too week to fend off Guatemala when they pressed their claim to the south. Now a second exodus is underway and what’s left of Belize is in free association with the US but will likely be annexed to Guatemala or Mexico as the population of European decent and English language drops to nearly zero.
  • France’s refocus on Africa has come at a cost however, some parts of their old empire have finally voted their way into independence (or into Quebec) in protest of being neglected.
  • Iceland, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, and Liechtenstein are in a EU associate system specially designed for microstates. Albania meanwhile has had it’s ascension to the Union repeatedly blocked by Serbia, who are still bitter over Kosovo.
  • Most of EU Africa is settled by people from all over Europe without even majorities from the home country in some territories. This because of the free movement laws and economic conditions meaning more Eastern European’s were eager to move to Africa but had no destination under their home country’s control.
  • Taiwan has declared it’s independence and no longer claims mainland China but still has quite limited recognition due to China’s habit of breaking off diplomatic relations with most countries who recognize them.
  • Other than the 35% rule established at the partition there are very few all Africa treaty’s because of the EU rendering them unnecessary in the north and everyone else wanting to assert their independence and sovereignty over their new lands.
  • Britain and Argentina have a very rocky relationship, and their border is fortified accordingly. Argentina disputing the Elizabeth Islands (Sao Tome and Principe as we know them) as a middle finger is partially to blame. Yes, Britain rushed into planting their flag first there knowing damm well they were likely to end up right offshore from Argentine territory.
  • Nubia is the only independent state in Africa, and is inhabited mostly by refugees from former Saudi Arabia. They are falling under heavy Turkish influence these days.
  • The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Cameroon has adopted a more internal focus integrating the remaining Overseas islands in the Caribbean and Southern Atlantic.

Here's the world in the year 2055
IMG_1345.png

Resettled Africa:
  • Spanish Morocco
  • French Algeria, Sahara, Madagascar, Comoros, and Mauritius (1 Territory)
  • Italian Tripolitania
  • Greek Cyrenaica
  • Turkish Egypt
  • Israeli Sinai
  • Nubia
  • Indian Greater Abyssinia (6 States & 4 Union Territories)
  • Chinese East Africa (3 Provinces)
  • Australian Seychelles and Rhodesia (1 State & 3 Territories)
  • American Cape Verde and Southern Africa (4 States & 6 Territories)
  • Brazilian Angola (7 States)
  • Argentine Congo (7 provinces)
  • British Cameroon (7 Home Nations)
  • German Ghana (6 States)
  • Swedish Gold Coast
  • Dutch Liberia
  • Portuguese Guinea

Questions and comments are welcome as long as you don't ask me who the next United States president was TTL.

Here's a map I've done from my timeline I'm working on. The basic premise of this is that the Serbs and the Bulgarians rebel against the Ottoman Empire and become independent in the latter half of the 19th century (though the POD is much farther back than that). They went and formed the Kingdom of the Serbs and Bulgarians - more commonly known as Yugoslavia - which acts as a duel-monarchy in a similar vain to Austria-Hungary. In later years, the Ottomans implemented reforms to give its European territories autonomy in hopes that they wouldn't have another rebellion. Even so, contentions in the Balkans are still high, as Yugoslavia lays claim to Bosnia, Rumania demands that they have the Dobrogea, and the French-aligned Danube Federation continues to meddle with the affairs of the region.
XZCB9W5.jpg

all of the palestinians getting deported to egypt isn't too nice either.
Not deported per see but more like Turkey offered them asylum and free land to settle, and a lot of Palestinians took them up on it because as someone else once said on a previous Map Thread "Ancestral homeland or not, the Nile delta beats the hell out of the Gaza Strip". I could have made that more clear in the write up, it wasn't a mandatory eviction.

Last edited:

Isaac Beach

Banned
Another epic map from this shared universe! I love not only the amazing style of your maps but also learning more and more in a piecemeal fashion about this larger world. Is there any place that you guys are posting all of the maps or this shared TL?
(Also, forgive me if I forgot, but what's the name of the overall TL again?)

Aw psh, thanks so much. I'm glad you like the style, I was concerned it looked a bit bland. At the moment I'm only posting them on my Deviantart, but when I and Hatkirby are confident with the premise we have (and that's delayed somewhat as Kirbs has some computer troubles) I'll create a thread containing all the lore, maps and graphics. I would like to make one, as I'd like people's input and ideas*, but I won't do that without Kirbs' consent.
The TL doesn't have a name yet, only the sort of interim 'Darceny', which works well enough. If you've any ideas I'd love to hear them.

*Emphasis on input. Kirbs and I disagree enough as is, aha, and wider collaborative world building efforts tend to collapse into argumentation on this site. So the actual 'collaboration' is only between myself and Kirbs and the odd expert when we need assistance with a particular region (like Todyo with my Celtic Britain/Germanic Ireland WIP).

Typo: Title means Rolling It is Mile - Wide Tide Along. All my complaints are strictly grammatical: you have an excellent map and great worldbuilding going on here!

Ah poo, that's always my downfall, I blame the quotation website I stole it from. I'll fix it. But thank you!

This conlang is so goddamn sexy I can't even deal. Good job. I need to know more about how the shreni developed and operate.​

It was a right bitch to put together, aha. Find a word; go to four different translators and find the equivalent in Latin, Sardinian, Corsican and Catalan; find the overlap; find the root; tweak the word accordingly; paste in the word. For every single word. The text took way way longer than any other part of this map.
Derived from an ancient Indian term, shreni are essentially guilds and come in a variety of forms. They might be familiar shareholding firms, cooperatives, family or community operated businesses, government enterprises in the private sector or some kind of club or exclusive organization. They are an integral part of the global economy as they possess much more economic clout than individual businesses or people as they usually control whole pillars of a national economy. For instance in Essàfaleia the modern freight industry is controlled by a collection of familial shreni and government censors.
Quite divergently from our world, the shreni also control their own regulation and quasi-judicial system. Intershreni disputes are handled by internal examiners and adjudicators, and vary in terms of efficacy, judiciousness, fairness and democracy. For instance, in some shreni it's as simple as the member companies voting on who they think is in the wrong, which of course has huge problems. But governments tend to allow this as it reduces their own judicial burden and in any event some shreni are large enough to operate as nearly independent nations and trying to regulate them could have all sorts of diplomatic implications.
Because the world has never been dominated by one continent (even the non-coastal Native Americans are fairly high tech) there is no prevailing view about how the economy ought to work. No WTO built on western, liberal principles. This meant there was a huge vacuum of economic organization that was essentially filled by groups such as the shreni. It's also why, unfortunately, slavery persists.

Even if I WASN'T a big fan of y'all's Darceny-verse (which I am; German Mediterranean, Celtic Britain, Slavic France, and Viking Ireland FTW), this is one of the coolest "alternate-South" maps I've seen in awhile! That's the kind of thing I could see using as a starting point on my own map (hypothetically anyway).

Though I must ask, why are so much of the Carolinas part of Essàfaleia? Nothing wrong with it, just weird to me.

Also, please tell me Skotland and Röm get some tropical holdings too...*Irish Cuba perhaps? :p And then again having some stable and modern Native states is double cool.

Thanks so much, I do try and be as original as possible with my maps. I would love to see what you come up with, for sure.

Quite simply because Espanja, among private enterprises, had sense to settle there. It's near enough to their existing colonies -particularly by maritime travel- and climatically suited to what they were trying to achieve in the region; watermelon, cannabis and sugar, among other things.

I believe Röm definitely has, as they would need a way-station on their way to the Römisch *Amazon. Skotland might do, but their most successful colony is in north-east NA around Quebec and New England. They might have some of the Leewards, but probably nothing so large as Haiti or Cuba. Y'see it's this sort of thing that Kirbs and I are talking about; we're not sure how the Caribbean will be divied up, we're still figuring out exactly how Europe is put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.