Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upper Peninsula is wrong. Should go to Canada. Along with the rest of Alaska.

More Canada = more aesthetically pleasing

Ohio Country is rightfully Canadian

Tell me something I haven't known since 1754.

NATIONALISM INTENSIFIES

PoD-1792
The Grand Kingdom of Canada, occupied territories, and North American Neighbors in The Year of Our Lord 1937

JUSTCAN.png

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH CANADA!

Thank you
The 2012 one looks OTL.
Draco is quite right
So basically, is this a company that takes over alien worlds and terraforms them to match a certain time period or alternate history of Earth? Nice! :3
Not quite, Picture "The Long Earth" scenario
This is fantastic work. This seems like a great premise for a video game.
Perhaps the game would be called... Europa Multiversalis? :p
Sounds good to me, love the idea for the name. Anyone got Paradox's number?
I saw one roman-centric world with inspiration from a B_Munro map.
Spot on. Anyone see any others?
Beautiful job. A couple of questions though.
What does it mean when the Ad says "Near-Human" and what exactly does it mean when one species is HO.99 vs HO.90?
And what's the backstory that leads the "Homeline" trying to conquer all of these different worlds and install its citizens as kings of countless countries?
The Sun is a variable in the equation so H0.99 [not HO.99] is compatibility for interbreeding or closeness to "true" Human

Earth Dominant is overcrowded and close to using up all of its resources.

On a different Earth you ALREADY know where to drill/excavate etc. An inhabited world gives you access to unlimited, posibly slave, labour.

Some further edits to that XKCD map, specifically based directl;y on @BippyTheGuy's version:

View attachment 349103

I have committed heresy by removing the Panhandle of Doom, and in fact removing the panhandle altogether. Western borders of Texas and Ohlahoma have been edited in other ways, too-- all to make them more fitting within the grid of states. Florida's northern border has been tidied up.
Damn, moving that one border South really uglifies the Southwest and South-Central. I do approve of the Canadian Border being the southern border for Oklahoma. I has always thought that part of Texas would fill out the state nicely. If you do ever make another update, I would suggest having it the border between Virginia/North Carolina and Kentucky/Tennessee Aline with the one stretching out into the west, if only because some people are already making so many changes. And say what you will about the power and intellect of these graphic designers in taking over the country, but they certainly don't know about administration, physical geography, or even simple marketing. I can't imagine this. I could list off every state between the Rockies and the Mississippi and let me tell ya, all those rectangles work better on tourist posters if you don't think you can stack them like boxes. Though to be fair, it seems that the threat of Montana has a bit more meat on it.

Also, challenge for everyone. Gerrymander the Congressoinal districts on this map so that the balance of power in the possibly puppet Congress is not too far offset. Also bare in mind that there is now a weight and height ratio that must be met. We have to have symmetry, people!

Skallagrim

Banned
Damn, moving that one border South really uglifies the Southwest and South-Central. I do approve of the Canadian Border being the southern border for Oklahoma. I has always thought that part of Texas would fill out the state nicely. If you do ever make another update, I would suggest having it the border between Virginia/North Carolina and Kentucky/Tennessee Aline with the one stretching out into the west, if only because some people are already making so many changes. And say what you will about the power and intellect of these graphic designers in taking over the country, but they certainly don't know about administration, physical geography, or even simple marketing. I can't imagine this. I could list off every state between the Rockies and the Mississippi and let me tell ya, all those rectangles work better on tourist posters if you don't think you can stack them like boxes. Though to be fair, it seems that the threat of Montana has a bit more meat on it.

To be honest, I was just going with the theme, while maintaining all the existing states. If I had to decide on borders, there would be far more changes, and in different ways.

Also, challenge for everyone. Gerrymander the Congressoinal districts on this map so that the balance of power in the possibly puppet Congress is not too far offset. Also bare in mind that there is now a weight and height ratio that must be met. We have to have symmetry, people!

One of the changes I would implement would be to do away with all desires for balance. Decentralise instead! (What a surprise, Skallagrim wants to decentralise everything... ;))

...now I'm going to have to make a map of that.

To be honest, I was just going with the theme, while maintaining all the existing states. If I had to decide on borders, there would be far more changes, and in different ways.

One of the changes I would implement would be to do away with all desires for balance. Decentralise instead! (What a surprise, Skallagrim wants to decentralise everything... ;))

...now I'm going to have to make a map of that.
If I had it my way, the USA would be the United State of America. Centralism vs Decentralisation. *shrug*

NATIONALISM INTENSIFIES

PoD-1792
The Grand Kingdom of Canada, occupied territories, and North American Neighbors in The Year of Our Lord 1937

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH CANADA!

Assuming that Canada has two warm water ports and a transcontinental railroad to connect them (likely), it's still missing Alsace-Lorraine. :p

Yes. There was a historical plan during the Révolution to create 80 square départements. This is the map of it.

On today, sextidi the 16th of Fructidor, we announce the imposition of a new, more rational method of dividing the country into subdivisions!

We were also going to move the capital to the central square, but Paris is close enough already.

The Sun is a variable in the equation so H0.99 [not HO.99] is compatibility for interbreeding or closeness to "true" Human

So while I can definitely believe that variability in the sun could make the livability of most earths uncomfortable/impossible for Humans - of nearly all the ones shown (minus the post-atomic mutant world), I assume that the "true" human shtick is just some Earth Dominant racist pseudo-science to justify colonialism and massive resource theft?

On a different Earth you ALREADY know where to drill/excavate etc. An inhabited
world gives you access to unlimited, posibly slave, labour.

So a full on dystopia scenario...well that's depressing.

But still, good job. Very creative work.

Last edited:
This has me thinking of ideas to blow it out into a full Scenario.

It would need to have France and Germany somewhat weakened, but not too much (like OTL after WWI or WWII), and an international peacekeeping agency like the LoN or UN, but they decide for some reason to assign it as a "peacekeeping mandate" to a single country instead of to the agency as a whole.

Difficult, but far from ASB.

Skallagrim

Banned
Okay, as promised: some revised borders for North America, the way I'd do it. In the form of a future history scenario, because that's the way I roll. As some people know, I'm quite pessimistic about the future. This, however, is a scenario where things go better than I dare to expect (at least in North America). Observe that if you find this scenario somewhat implausible-- so do I. This scenario hints at the full extent of the dangers I foresee, but essentially has them come to a head sooner than I actually expect them to. In reality, I expect them to simmer and worsen until disaster can no longer be staved off. This scenario posits instead that matters come to a head rather early (due to some confluence of events), the early crisis serves as a wake-up call, and the sort of solutions I would suggest to stave off a disastrous future are actually implemented.

The North American League

In the mid-2020s, severe economic crisis, long years of complete political gridlock and the escalation of ethnic tensions provide the recipe for a disaster that will ultimately prompt dramatic but much-needed reforms. Both the USA and Canada face actual economic collapse, and major cities are aflame with riots that resemble nothing so much as small civil wars. People fall into despair, as political authority fails, long-mounting hatred comes to a head and inflation renders money increasingly worthless. Various secessions are declared, if not actually carried out to full effect: these include ethnic secession movements like the Republic of Aztlan and New Afrika; cultural seperatism like the calls for a referendum in Quebec and the Provisional Government of Hawaii; purely political ventures like the California Republic and the would-be city-state of New York; and deeply disturbing experiments like the so-called Aryan Ethnostate of America. The national governments of both the USA and Canada, rapidly disintegrating as hyperinflation runs amok and even the police and armed forces can no longer be paid, are barely capable of quelling the worst excesses. In the south, Mexico, similarly in dire straits, is rattling its sabres and threatening to annex secessionist regions in the South-Western USA.

It is in this situation that the Congressional elections of 2026 take place. In Canada, emergency elections have to be organised by the military, roughly concurrent with the election in America. In a shining example of hope against hope, enough people choose to reject the simplistic demagoguery and the divisive politics that have led to the crisis in the first place. Populists of the left and the right alike are thrown out as a new party - the Central Coalition - fields candidates in both the USA and Canada. The core theme of this movement has arisen in opposition to the shouty sloganism that has increasingly governed for the past decades. The candidates for the Central Coalition promote much-needed reform as a last chance to avoid total collapse. The movement does not claim to have easy solutions. On the contrary: it explicitly tells the voters that the time for easy answers is over. Now, the difficult choices will have to be made. Betrayed by the snake-oil salesmen of the populist factions, the people are willing to embrace such level-headed realism. Key policy proposals of the Central Coalition include:

-- Far-reaching decentralisation, to ease the political, cultural and ethnic tensions by allowing communities to decide their own affairs. The aim is to prevent any one group from feeling like a minority, always under the sway of an opposed majority.

-- A controlled default in regard to the national debts of the USA and Canada.

-- A law or amendment to ensure a balanced budget in the future. Notably, the Central Coalition does not engage in partisan politics of demanding either higher taxes or lower spending. Both are acceptable, and a combination of both may well be needed. The point is that no more is ever spent than is gained in revenue.

-- Tax reform that removes all loopholes and both simplified and reduces the role and weight of national taxes. Most taxes are henceforth to be decided upon at the state or local level.

-- Similarly, all non-essential government functions (meaning everything other than national infrastructure, foreign affairs, the armed forces and federal police and justice agencies) are to be devolved to the state or local level.

-- A dismantling of the overwhelming power of the military-industrial complex, and a severe reduction in size of particularly the US military apparatus. An end to involvement in foreign wars; this simply cannot be supported anymore.

-- An end to the aggressive, hostile relations with Mexico. Normalisation of relations, economic co-operation, perspectives for comprehensive immigration reform, and - notably - an end to the so-called "war on drugs". The Central Coalition advocates the decriminalisation of all drugs, so that production can be regulated and subject to lawful oversight. The hope is that this will take away the power of the various cartels and syndicates that have, by now, become almost as powerful as states in themselves.

-- Finally, representatives of the Central Coalition in both the USA and Canada, in the face of collapsing federal governments, seek to completely rebuild the national governmental framework. With its reduced package of core fuctions, it is to become a dynamic, effective machine. By all accounts, the federal governments of both countries have ceased functioning in the crisis. The Central Coalition sells the idea as "vital co-operation", but their intention is to replace the existing governments of both countries with one new framework.

I these dire times, such proposals - wholly unacceptable in earlier times - are widely embraced by the voting public. (Even so drastic as devolving most government tasks to state and local authorities is seen as fully acceptable, in light of the fact that the collpasing federal governments are clearly no longer carrying out such tasks anyway...) In both the USA and Canada, provisional governments take shape, as martial law remains in effect and various regions remain in a state of crisis or rebellion. Yet a new political consensus arises, with the aim of carrying out these reforms and restoring public order. The presidential elections of 2028 in the USA confirm this course, as the Central Coalition candidate is elected with a narrow majority. Increasingly, moderates of other parties jump ship. By 2030, the USA and Canada enter into negotiations for the desired closer co-operation, while both countries explore constitutional reforms of a fundamental sort. The Bilateral Convention of 2031 sees the two exploratory bodies for these reforms begin to work together. A year later, both countries join the North American Charter Organisation. In 2033, this Organisation is itself dissolved following the League Convention of representatives from all states and provinces of both countries, as well as of their respective national governments. It takes three years before all parties agree to the League Charter, but by 2036, the North American League is established. The USA and Canada are formally dissolved. Their remaining federal agencies, such as they are, begin full integration.

Under the Charter, territorial bodies are drastically re-organised, mostly on a pleibiscite basis, to ensure that all people can live in a state they find acceptable. Ultimately, the NAL will consist of 42 full member states and two associated states (Quebec and the Northern Territory). All secessionist activities are brought to heel, as the governmental ability to respond is gradually restored, while the reforms greatly reduce the actual desire for secession. Interestingly, the Central Coalition falls apart almost at once. Having achieved its purpose, the very design of the new system ensures that more conservative regions can and will now be free to enact conservative policies locally, while more progressive regions can and will enact progressive policies. Only in the still-divided "swing states" of the old Rust Belt do the politics of compromise remain needed. The Central Coalition remains an active party there, and the state constitutions arrange for parliamentary politics with space for coalition governments. In Quebec and the Northern Territory, local and regionalist parties are dominant. (The Northern Territory is inhabited by a clear majority of Native Americans, whose rights are - perhaps for the first time since white men came to their homelands - truly assured by law. In light of this, and face with the political turmoil in Europe, Greenland elected, via popular referendum, to join the Northern Territory.)

It is now 2037. The NAL is celebrating its first birthday. Although far from perfect, and certainly not everyone's ideal, it is widely seen as the one thing that staved off total disaster. Certainly, there will be challenges in the future: certain currently white-majority and conservative regions face rapid demographic change, and it remains true that states with a non-white majority are likely to vote for progressive policies. Change is coming, and the system will have to prove that it can deal with that. Still, regardless of such future worries, the general sense is that a great danger has been averted. After all: the Charter allows member states to voluntarily split up, combine, or revise their borders via pleibiscites. In a promising example of dynamic change, Mexico is tentatively considering becoming an associate member of the NAL-- as step which would give that country full access to the North American internal market. With the ""War on Drugs" ended, the power of the cartels is waning, and crime in Mexico is dropping steadily. As the economy enters a post-crisis phase of renewed expansion, many a captain of industry in the NAL advocates for Mexican entry into the League, if only for the additonal labour pool that would become available.

For the first time in decades, the people of North America feel confident about the future again. It's not the one they had imagined, two decades before-- but it doesn't lack for opportunities.

NAL-map.png

Legend:

Bright blue: states tending towards conservative policies

Green: states tending towards progressive policies

Orange: states tending towards moderate policies and coalition governments

Blue-grey: Quebec

Grey: the Northern Territories

---

(No, I have not actually made up sensible names for all these newly divided and recombined member states. Suggestions are welcome. I spent two hours on this, it was a bit of a rush job, so if you happen to think that my divisions are stupid and/or insane... too bad. ;) This is the best I could manage on short notice, based on electoral maps and such handy things.
ETA: the write-up has been slightly edited since the original posting, to provide some more clarity and to remove some typos.)

Last edited:
Here's my first shot at an actual alt history map.
thingy.png

Napoleon scores a decisive victory at the battle of Borodino in the war of the 6th coalition. The Russian army is defeated by the usage of Napoleon's imperial guard, scattering the forces and causing a full rout. The Russian army is pursued by Napoleons forces and forced to surrender. Russia capitulates shortly after the capture of Moscow as it's war efforts are destroyed and the Baltic states are made into a French client state. However, the peninsular war is a defeat for Napoleon and causes Spain to successfully break away from the empire. Whilst Spain gains their independence, they will still lose the Latin wars of independence and be forced to return their land in Northern Spain under threat of war. Napoleon later redraws the border of Central Europe, uniting his German land under a singular client state.

On the other hand, the war of 1812 ends up being a major victory for America, with the entirety of British Canada being annexed by the United States. The war is a triumph for the US, proving it capable of standing up to European powers. A major pro-France movement takes place in the US, seeking to emulate the glory of their life-long allies. This leads to a steady rise in support for monarchism and imperialism in the US.

George M Dallas, the vice president during the US-Mexican war had supported the annexation of the entirety of Mexico. The glories of Napoleon had led for many to call for a great American empire to be led by a powerful ruler, and Dallas had seen his dreams come true. The US annexed the 2nd Mexican Empire in 1849, and Dallas himself was elected president in 1852. He supported a pro-active foreign policy and would go on to buy Alaska, Greenland, Iceland and the French lands in Canada. By 1856, the end of his 2nd term, he had successfully united the entirety of northern America under one flag, and would go down as one of the most successful presidents in the history of the US.

The civil war in America had saw the rise of the young Arthur MacArthur Jr, a general who fought on the side of the Union. Mexico had quickly become dominated by massive slave plantations due to poor bureaucracy and joined on the side of the confederacy. Whilst the union had won the war, the war was far more expensive and deadly, with over a million people being killed in the war. The tremendous cost of repairing the battered and divided nation meant that Ulysses S. Grant was ill-prepared to deal with repairing the wounds of war. The abolishment of slavery was put on delay and the government began to heavily tax the slave plantations in order to repair. Public support for the president plummeted dramatically with the anti-slavery north viewing the abolishment of slavery as becoming unlikely. Arthur MacArthur successfully led a coup against the unpopular president and declared the birth of the First American Empire. With the country incapable of immediately abolishing slavery, he implemented a system designed to slowly faze out slavery. The US government began buying slaves from slave owners and using the slaves to repair and build up the US infrastructure before granting the slaves freedom. The system proved highly popular with slave owners and anti-slavers and the US managed to repair much of the damage done. Within a short period of two years, roughly 85% of slaves had been freed. He announced the total abolishment of slavery and repaid the few slave owners. Support for the new imperial system in America skyrocketed.

Much like our timeline, the French supported the Ottoman empire in the Crimean War. Hundreds of thousands of French troops marched through Italy and quickly drove the Russian forces out of Crimea and modern day Armenia. The Russian empire was forced to quickly surrender to the French-Ottoman Alliance, and Crimea was divided between France & The Ottomans and the Caucasus were made into an Ottoman client state. Napoleon the 3rd, the ruler of France at the time had found himself competing with the rising power of Prussia. There was immense support for the unification of Prussia & the Austrian Empire to create a nation capable of rivalling France. To prevent this, Napoleon began supporting Hungarian & Pan-Yugoslavian nationalists in Austria, arming them with weapons and training them. The rebels declared their independence and the Serbian and Hungarian lands were able to break away, effectively destroying the empire. The remnants of Austria and the Czech republic were quickly annexed into Germany, but it could never stand up to the might of the French Empire. Napoleon would later go on to break his alliance with the declining Ottoman empire and help establish a Yugoslavian client state instead. The Ottoman decline continued on for many years. During the Balkan wars, the Ottoman Empire was able to defeat a coalition of Greece, Albania & Bulgaria, and reincorporated them into the Empire.

Douglas MacArthur became the Emperor of America with the death of his Father in 1912. From 1913-1917, He expanded the American border, conquering the remnants of the central American nations and established a Gran Colombia client state. The state served as a buffer state to prevent possible invasion from South America. He, like many Americans had whole-heartily supported the Scramble for Africa but felt cheated when France took the lions share of the land. Once again, when the American Empire had conquered the Philippines in the Spanish-American War, Douglas had felt cheated out of Asian land when the French had already conquered the vast majority of it. The American-French relations began to sour. In the 1920s, the American Empire supported the Republic of China during the warlord era of china and began to militarily and economically support them reconquer their lands in China and Mongolia. Due to the support of America, the country was able to quickly reconquer its lost land. Mao Zedong was captured in 1927 and trialed with treason in a kangaroo court. He was publicly hung in the Beijing centre alongside with many other warlords.

The current ruler of France at the time was the young Louis, Napoleon the 6th. He was only 12 when his father, Napoleon the 5th died and the ruler-ship of France passed down to him. Inexperienced and power hungry, he was immediately attracted to Imperial's Japan worship of their emperor and wanted the same. He had supported the Japanese Empire which furthered soured American-French relations. When the Pacific War broke out in 1936 with the Japanese invasion of China, the UK and America swiftly condemned the invasion, with the two nations fearing the rising power of the Japanese power led by a seemingly unstable ruler. The UK entered the war on the side of China in 1938, sending a massive army through the British Raj to support the Chinese Front. Napoleon the 7th, young and ambitious, wanted to finally be the king to defeat the British, and began sending volunteers and expeditionary forces disguised as peacekeepers to the front. This move outraged the American Empire, who had now begun to view their lifelong allies with fear and suspicion. The empire declared war on Japan in 1941, being the first time American troops fought alongside British troops in history. The fighting in Asia was fierce, and was one of the most deadly war ever fought in history. Over 30 million people were killed in the battle, most of them Chinese citizens. By late 1942, Japan was driven out of China & Korea, and a vicious air-strike campaign began on Japan. 5 months later, in February, 1943 the Japanese eventually surrendered and gave up their lands in Asia. The Japanese Nation became a politically isolated backwater, with a god-emperor ruling through fear and intimidation. The GDP and life expediency steadily declined and it soon became the Pariah State of the world. The pacific war had proven to be the tipping point for American-French relations. The young king, with his delusions of grandeur and desire to be a god-king like Hirohito, had allied with a nation that posed a direct threat to America. Douglas MacArthur offically broke his alliance with France and announced an alliance with China in February, 1951 This move quickly caused the British & Russian empires to declare their own alliance in the same week to protect their Asian interests.

This ended up diving the world into three power blocs, the UK-Russian bloc, which held its influence in eastern Europe, the middle east and it's own vast colonial empires the Sino-American bloc, which held its influence across the Americas, western Africa and East Asia, and the French bloc, which held its influence across all of Europe, as the German and Ottoman empires had already been forced into alliances with the French Empire

Without the Manhattan project, nuclear weapon technology is far behind. Without the rise of Hitler, German Scientists would never flee Germany. Germany & France began their own secret nuclear program in 1947, while the UK and America would begin their programs in 1948. In March 1949 France would do the world's first successful nuclear test in the Sahara desert. The UK would later detonate a nuclear weapon in the Scottish highlands in September 1950. At this point in history, only France and the UK have nuclear weapons, with France possessing 3 nuclear weapons and the UK possessing 1. The US nuclear program is only months away from their own breakthrough, while the Russian empire had been given the secret of nuclear technology in March 1951, however they themselves will suffer to produce their own weapons due to the poor economic situations.

Current Rulers:
American Empire: Douglas MacArthur,
French Empire: Napoleon VI
Great Britain: Clement Attlee
German Empire: Wilhelm III
Ottoman Empire: Abdulmejd II
Russian Empire: Alexi Nikolaevich
Republic of China: Chiang Kai-Shek
15HL5ZP.png

Status
Not open for further replies.