Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maps for the latest update in my TL! (See my signature for more information)

TTL's War of the Spanish Succession, featuring rough estimates of zones of control at various points covered in Part #12

Mid-1702

WotSS1.png

Early 1703

WotSS2.png

Late 1703

WotSS3.png

QLDISOTThumbnail.png

I've had this idea sitting on my hard drive for quite a while, but it's only until now that I've gotten around to doing it.

This is a map of my home state (Queensland) in all it's shitty glory being ISOT'd to a Virgin Earth in a similar fashion to @HowAboutThisForAName's Tassie ISOT (I'm stealing that semi-biographical approach to the write-up btw, hope ya don't mind. ;)).

--

Audax at Fidelis: A Queensland ISOT

Prior to the ISOT (or 'Transition' as it is known to scholars) the State of Queensland was often said to be one of the most prosperous states in the Commonwealth. The state was home to vast amounts of industrial plants and farms (mostly concentrated in the Central and Northern/Far North regions. I should bloody know, I live there) that spewed out a vast amount of resources, ranging from coal to LNG (you better thank CQ for that). Politically speaking, the bulk of the state's population outside of the hipster-filled hole-in-the-ground that is the People's Republic of Brisbane had always had a long history of sticking it to the rest of the state (and the country at large) with their socially conservative values, (Sir Joh[1] helped solidify that stereotype, even though he was a bit of an authoritarian wanker) much to the annoyance of various busy-bodies in Federal and State Parliament.

Then, during one boring day in mid-October of 2017, the State of Queensland disappeared from the face of the earth, leaving nothing but a swathe of empty virgin land in it's wake.

The situation was quickly seized upon by neighbouring New South Wales and began to deport their bogan[2] population toward the mass of fertile land, creating the State of New New South Wales.

--

The public reacted with shock and awe at the sudden loss of internet connection, only to be followed pure panic as the power, gas and water lines carked it. The only Starbucks to ever exist in the state quickly burnt down to the ground as minor riots and other forms of civil disobedience gripped Brisbane and other major metropolitan areas (implying that there's even more than one major metropolitan area in Queensland to begin with) for a solid week. The Lib-Nats[3] realised that they were now free from the bureaucracy and leftie nanny state-ing that had been forced upon them by Canberra, meanwhile the incumbent Labour Party enacted martial law across the state (but to be fair, there were some minor riots in the rest of the state, but the bulk of the populace didn't see the point in burning their neighbourhoods down and just stuck *literally* to their guns until the police came in) while the Greens did what they always did and blamed the Transition on good old fashioned white supremacy.

Meanwhile, I was in said burning metropolis with a gaggle of Lib-Dem[4] voters at a political conference. Things quickly went pear shaped after that as I ended up fighting my way out of the conference room with nothing but a döner kebab and a cheap suit.[5]

But I digress.

Once the riots died down and the state government finally realised that they were truly alone in the world, a provisional Constitution was drawn up and a 'Commonwealth of Greater Queensland' was formed in the weeks post-Transition. Despite the fact that we're a Commonwealth, nobody has thought of putting a monarch on a throne as of yet. State-enforced programs surrounding fuel, energy and food rations were enacted as to keep the house in order, while the AFP[6] was finally put to good use to keep certain groups[7] from making trouble.

The first policy regarding expansion was to secure the East Coast, as the government found out that any and all resources south of the Rio Grande[8] were 'restocked' so to speak. Various interested parties, from Rio Tinto to Downer were given free reign in what was would later become the State of New England. The government began to grant land leases to private individuals that were willing to jump across the border. I ended up getting some much needed exercise before buggering off to what was jokingly referred to as 'AnCapistan' by the three LDP voters in Queensland.[9]

The incumbent Labour Party was eventually thrown out in the ensuing election by a One Nation[10]/Lib-Nats/Lib-Dems[11] coalition. State-funded initiatives were slowly turned over to private enterprise, although there was some heavy statist oversight in the end because of apparent stories of abuse in pre-statehood 'AnCapistan'. Queensland was also divided into state/territory lines as to appease the grumpy farmers and other assorted regional voters.

Technology in the so-called 'Settlement Territories' was taken down a notch to a mix of late-19th century and mid 20th century and that's not even counting the rather patchy internet infrastructure that existed in Queensland itself. The situation only fully stabilised about three years post-Transition with surprisingly minimal casualties and a burgeoning colonial empire that ranged from one lonely bastard in PNG[12] to a bunch of wannabe AnCaps in southern New England. A form of protectionist state-endorsed capitalism was enforced during the expansion years, although some of the trade restrictions were significantly loosened once the colonisation of the East Coast got off to a good start around a decade or two hence[13].

The various ethnic minorities that were (un)lucky to be living in the Sunshine State on the eve of the ISOT began to petition for the reclamation of their former homelands. Various private and public initiates to create these new states gained traction amongst the tourists and expats, not to mention those that had been here or decades if not centuries pre-ISOT.

These so-called 'refounding projects' were met with a rather mixed success, ranging from a bunch of Yanks sinking in their fishing boats in a desperate attempt to reach Hawaii to an unruly mob of Afrikaners[14] hijacking a bunch of transport ships, stocking them with food and getting shipwrecked somewhere near what used to be Perth. The Second Great Trek was the first of the 'successful' refoundings and more have been attempted in the years since, albeit with an abysmal success rate[15].

As a result of these 'refoundings' and an economic crash around 30-ish years down the track, expansionism slowed to a trickle, although some settler colonies in southern Indochina, Java and Sumatra did manage to get off the ground. The large minority of Maori and Anglo-Kiwis found their way to North Island and have since created a tiny little medieval-esque state that has all the modern comforts of wi-fi and a decent number of locally-produced goods. Queenslander expansionism is on the rise again as the first men and women now take their first steps onto what some of the now-probably-dying pre-Transition born Queenies would know as San Francisco Bay. A small colony has also been established on the Hawaiian islands, but is only a mere pitstop for the growing Royal Queensland Navy.

The rest of Australia hasn't been as heavily settled, with the bulk of the East Coast territories only having upwards of 2 million people and are largely self-sufficient in most areas. The western and central halves of the continent are home to roving nomads, self-sufficient communes of wacky hipsters, cultists and AnCaps, even a couple of Indigenous groups have since returned to their roots in an attempt at cultural separatism from the predominantly Anglo-Celtic (now more of a mix between pre-ISOT Aussie culture, a few Americanisms and plenty of other Eurasian cultures) cultural morass. The unclaimed coasts and islands of Indonesia are home to pirates and mercenaries, think of the Age of Piracy, but with Anglo-Indonesian-Afrikaners on boats with wifi and Sten Guns.

The global population now stands at around 14.3 or so million, with around half of that scattered throughout the Queenslander states and territories. The rest exist in the 'refounded' states and the warlord nations. The largest city in the world is the Greater Southern Queensland Conurbation at around 4.2 million denizens, taking up the bulk of the old cities of Brisbane and the Gold and Sunshine Coasts. The next largest populated cities in the world are Townsville, Cairns Rockhampton, Gladstone and Bundeburg.

--

[1] - Take Ronnie Reagan's unflinching social conservatism, mix it with some stereotypically American Religious Right fervour, some Nixonian corruption and then add in a dash of Francis Urquhart levels of machiavellian-ness and you've got at least some faint idea of what Petersen's 20 year stint in the Premiership was like from the 60's til the late 80's.
[2] - A term that's used in a similar way to 'chav' or 'white trash' would be in other Anglophone states. I might be from an unflinchingly working-class area of QLD, but even I don't like bogans. :p
[3] - Lib-Nats = Liberal-Nationals, basically the centre-right moderate conservative (but economically liberal) party for QLD'ers.
[4] - Lib-Dems = Liberal Democrats. Basically they're the Aussie Libertarian Party. Needless to say, nobody's really heard of us yet and have since been confined to Hell WA outside of federal politics.
[5] - On the plus side, I got to meet Mark Latham, Senator David Leyonhjelm and a bunch of other top blokes. That kebab I had was also bloody delicious.
[6] - Aussie FBI, at least I think so...
[7] - *Insert Religious Nutters/Far Whatever/Crackheads/Unions/Bogans/Tasmanians here*
[8] - Anyone south of the Murray-Darling (QLD-NSW border) are often jokingly referred to as Mexicans. The Rio Grande comparison is just a mere extension of the joke. XD
[9] - Which merely consists of myself and two of my friends. Then again, neither of us haven't voted in a Federal election yet.
[10] - One Nation's Queensland branch is less worried about immigration IOTL, choosing to focus on the regional areas outside of Brisbane/Gold/Sunshine Coast and just the working/middle classes in general. Needless to say, no more tunnels were built in Brisbane during their time in power ITTL.
[11] - An exiled Senator Leyonhjelm really helped matters. They're still relegated to third party status though.
[12] - Originally home to a penal colony before it was turned over to a bunch of hotel chains for development. History has a funny way of repeating itself. PNG still doesn't have statehood however.
[13] - At that point I'd probably end up becoming either a gun-toting child-abducting warlord on the South Australian Steppe or a diabetic politically-inclined right wing libertarian journo.
[14] - Afrikaans is the second most spoken language in my town and are a substantial minority if you ignore the Maoris/Anglo!Kiwis/Pacific Islanders, Filipinos and Indians. It's also the 15th most spoken in QLD as a whole. Now ya'll know why I like SA so much. :p
[15] - New Singapore is as much of an authoritarian 'Disney with the Death Penalty' as it was pre-ISOT. There's actually some Truth in Television here as my city hosts often hosts the choppers (mostly in car parks or rarely the civilian airport, as we don't have any nearby military bases) and Singaporean/American personnel whenever the Yanks decide to do some military drills somewhere out in the middle of Yarwun. So it's not uncommon to see Singaporean troops going to the mall during their days off where I live.

Last edited:

fashbasher

Banned
So my massive fantasy crossover world is complete for now. If any of you want to see other fictional nations make their way into the Age of Extraordinary Gentlemen, let me know.
QJ2P164.png

We have GoT, Pokémon Mystery, LotR, Inferno, Sims 2, Hatchin, Cats Cradle, Tintin, Tropico, Canticle for Leibowitz, Kong, Hunger Games, Unova, legend, Final Fantasy XV, GTAV, legend, Discworld, Mouse that Roared, San Seriffe (April Fools from the Guardian), Tree of Savior, DayZ, Kalos, Dr. Doom, Sparta and Persia as depicted in 300, Tamriel, Pokémon Conquest, Talespin and Jungle Book combined, Wicker Man, Dead Island, Zelda, Alola, Aladdin, Apocalypse Now, legend, Wonder Woman, Gullivers Travels, Cthulhu, Tintin x2, Draka, Kingdom Hearts, and three Shakespeare plays. #thatsalottapokemon

Much like this, but Paraguay is actually much more likely to join Argentina rather than the Andean Confederation due to closer cultural and economical ties, as well as both being pro-Nazi at the time.

Mobiyuz

Banned
View attachment 367073

I've had this idea sitting on my hard drive for quite a while, but it's only until now that I've gotten around to doing it.

This is a map of my home state (Queensland) in all it's shitty glory being ISOT'd to a Virgin Earth in a similar fashion to @HowAboutThisForAName's Tassie ISOT (I'm stealing that semi-biographical approach to the write-up btw, hope ya don't mind. ;)).

--

Audax at Fidelis: A Queensland ISOT

Prior to the ISOT (or 'Transition' as it is known to scholars) the State of Queensland was often said to be one of the most prosperous states in the Commonwealth. The state was home to vast amounts of industrial plants and farms (mostly concentrated in the Central and Northern/Far North regions. I should bloody know, I live there) that spewed out a vast amount of resources, ranging from coal to LNG (you better thank CQ for that). Politically speaking, the bulk of the state's population outside of the hipster-filled hole-in-the-ground that is the People's Republic of Brisbane had always had a long history of sticking it to the rest of the state (and the country at large) with their socially conservative values, (Sir Joh[1] helped solidify that stereotype, even though he was a bit of an authoritarian wanker) much to the annoyance of various busy-bodies in Federal and State Parliament.

Then, during one boring day in mid-October of 2017, the State of Queensland disappeared from the face of the earth, leaving nothing but a swathe of empty virgin land in it's wake.

The situation was quickly seized upon by neighbouring New South Wales and began to deport their bogan[2] population toward the mass of fertile land, creating the State of New New South Wales.

--

The public reacted with shock and awe at the sudden loss of internet connection, only to be followed pure panic as the power, gas and water lines carked it. The only Starbucks to ever exist in the state quickly burnt down to the ground as minor riots and other forms of civil disobedience gripped Brisbane and other major metropolitan areas (implying that there's even more than one major metropolitan area in Queensland to begin with) for a solid week. The Lib-Nats[3] realised that they were now free from the bureaucracy and leftie nanny state-ing that had been forced upon them by Canberra, meanwhile the incumbent Labour Party enacted martial law across the state (but to be fair, there were some minor riots in the rest of the state, but the bulk of the populace didn't see the point in burning their neighbourhoods down and just stuck *literally* to their guns until the police came in) while the Greens did what they always did and blamed the Transition on good old fashioned white supremacy.

Meanwhile, I was in said burning metropolis with a gaggle of Lib-Dem[4] voters at a political conference. Things quickly went pear shaped after that as I ended up fighting my way out of the conference room with nothing but a döner kebab and a cheap suit.[5]

But I digress.

Once the riots died down and the state government finally realised that they were truly alone in the world, a provisional Constitution was drawn up and a 'Commonwealth of Greater Queensland' was formed in the weeks post-Transition. Despite the fact that we're a Commonwealth, nobody has thought of putting a monarch on a throne as of yet. State-enforced programs surrounding fuel, energy and food rations were enacted as to keep the house in order, while the AFP[6] was finally put to good use to keep certain groups[7] from making trouble.

The first policy regarding expansion was to secure the East Coast, as the government found out that any and all resources south of the Rio Grande[8] were 'restocked' so to speak. Various interested parties, from Rio Tinto to Downer were given free reign in what was would later become the State of New England. The government began to grant land leases to private individuals that were willing to jump across the border. I ended up getting some much needed exercise before buggering off to what was jokingly referred to as 'AnCapistan' by the three LDP voters in Queensland.[9]

The incumbent Labour Party was eventually thrown out in the ensuing election by a One Nation[10]/Lib-Nats/Lib-Dems[11] coalition. State-funded initiatives were slowly turned over to private enterprise, although there was some heavy statist oversight in the end because of apparent stories of abuse in pre-statehood 'AnCapistan'. Queensland was also divided into state/territory lines as to appease the grumpy farmers and other assorted regional voters.

Technology in the so-called 'Settlement Territories' was taken down a notch to a mix of late-19th century and mid 20th century and that's not even counting the rather patchy internet infrastructure that existed in Queensland itself. The situation only fully stabilised about three years post-Transition with surprisingly minimal casualties and a burgeoning colonial empire that ranged from one lonely bastard in PNG[12] to a bunch of wannabe AnCaps in southern New England. A form of protectionist state-endorsed capitalism was enforced during the expansion years, although some of the trade restrictions were significantly loosened once the colonisation of the East Coast got off to a good start around a decade or two hence[13].

The various ethnic minorities that were (un)lucky to be living in the Sunshine State on the eve of the ISOT began to petition for the reclamation of their former homelands. Various private and public initiates to create these new states gained traction amongst the tourists and expats, not to mention those that had been here or decades if not centuries pre-ISOT.

These so-called 'refounding projects' were met with a rather mixed success, ranging from a bunch of Yanks sinking in their fishing boats in a desperate attempt to reach Hawaii to an unruly mob of Afrikaners[14] hijacking a bunch of transport ships, stocking them with food and getting shipwrecked somewhere near what used to be Perth. The Second Great Trek was the first of the 'successful' refoundings and more have been attempted in the years since, albeit with an abysmal success rate[15].

As a result of these 'refoundings' and an economic crash around 30-ish years down the track, expansionism slowed to a trickle, although some settler colonies in southern Indochina, Java and Sumatra did manage to get off the ground. The large minority of Maori and Anglo-Kiwis found their way to North Island and have since created a tiny little medieval-esque state that has all the modern comforts of wi-fi and a decent number of locally-produced goods. Queenslander expansionism is on the rise again as the first men and women now take their first steps onto what some of the now-probably-dying pre-Transition born Queenies would know as San Francisco Bay. A small colony has also been established on the Hawaiian islands, but is only a mere pitstop for the growing Royal Queensland Navy.

The rest of Australia hasn't been as heavily settled, with the bulk of the East Coast territories only having upwards of 2 million people and are largely self-sufficient in most areas. The western and central halves of the continent are home to roving nomads, self-sufficient communes of wacky hipsters, cultists and AnCaps, even a couple of Indigenous groups have since returned to their roots in an attempt at cultural separatism from the predominantly Anglo-Celtic (now more of a mix between pre-ISOT Aussie culture, a few Americanisms and plenty of other Eurasian cultures) cultural morass. The unclaimed coasts and islands of Indonesia are home to pirates and mercenaries, think of the Age of Piracy, but with Anglo-Indonesian-Afrikaners on boats with wifi and Sten Guns.

The global population now stands at around 14.3 or so million, with around half of that scattered throughout the Queenslander states and territories. The rest exist in the 'refounded' states and the warlord nations. The largest city in the world is the Greater Southern Queensland Conurbation at around 4.2 million denizens, taking up the bulk of the old cities of Brisbane and the Gold and Sunshine Coasts. The next largest populated cities in the world are Townsville, Cairns Rockhampton, Gladstone and Bundeburg.

--

[1] - Take Ronnie Reagan's unflinching social conservatism, mix it with some stereotypically American Religious Right fervour, some Nixonian corruption and then add in a dash of Francis Urquhart levels of machiavellian-ness and you've got at least some faint idea of what Petersen's 20 year stint in the Premiership was like from the 60's til the late 80's.
[2] - A term that's used in a similar way to 'chav' or 'white trash' would be in other Anglophone states. I might be from an unflinchingly working-class area of QLD, but even I don't like bogans. :p
[3] - Lib-Nats = Liberal-Nationals, basically the centre-right moderate conservative (but economically liberal) party for QLD'ers.
[4] - Lib-Dems = Liberal Democrats. Basically they're the Aussie Libertarian Party. Needless to say, nobody's really heard of us yet and have since been confined to Hell WA outside of federal politics.
[5] - On the plus side, I got to meet Mark Latham, Senator David Leyonhjelm and a bunch of other top blokes. That kebab I had was also bloody delicious.
[6] - Aussie FBI, at least I think so...
[7] - *Insert Religious Nutters/Far Whatever/Crackheads/Unions/Bogans/Tasmanians here*
[8] - Anyone south of the Murray-Darling (QLD-NSW border) are often jokingly referred to as Mexicans. The Rio Grande comparison is just a mere extension of the joke. XD
[9] - Which merely consists of myself and two of my friends. Then again, neither of us haven't voted in a Federal election yet.
[10] - One Nation's Queensland branch is less worried about immigration IOTL, choosing to focus on the regional areas outside of Brisbane/Gold/Sunshine Coast and just the working/middle classes in general. Needless to say, no more tunnels were built in Brisbane during their time in power ITTL.
[11] - An exiled Senator Leyonhjelm really helped matters. They're still relegated to third party status though.
[12] - Originally home to a penal colony before it was turned over to a bunch of hotel chains for development. History has a funny way of repeating itself. PNG still doesn't have statehood however.
[13] - At that point I'd probably end up becoming either a gun-toting child-abducting warlord on the South Australian Steppe or a diabetic politically-inclined right wing libertarian journo.
[14] - Afrikaans is the second most spoken language in my town and are a substantial minority if you ignore the Maoris/Anglo!Kiwis/Pacific Islanders, Filipinos and Indians. It's also the 15th most spoken in QLD as a whole. Now ya'll know why I like SA so much. :p
[15] - New Singapore is as much of an authoritarian 'Disney with the Death Penalty' as it was pre-ISOT. There's actually some Truth in Television here as my city hosts often hosts the choppers (mostly in car parks or rarely the civilian airport, as we don't have any nearby military bases) and Singaporean/American personnel whenever the Yanks decide to do some military drills somewhere out in the middle of Yarwun. So it's not uncommon to see Singaporean troops going to the mall during their days off where I live.
It's honestly kind of impressive how you keep managing to shove some sort of Afrikaaner-dominated South Africa into almost every map you make, even when the map is ostensibly supposed to be about Australia.

IMG_0739.jpg

A map that I made, partially colored using SUCK. The dark gray is the Germanic Union, the Dark Green is the Ottoman Empire, the Dark Red is the United Kingdom of the British Isles and Hannover, the yellow is the Iberian Union. Blue is France, light green is Qing, middle green is Russia, light green number 2 is The Italian Union. Purple are the Mughals, and peach is Arabia. Green blue 1 is USA, and green blue two is Attuhayta. The map is kinda ASB.

Last edited:

Deleted member 97083

It's honestly kind of impressive how you keep managing to shove some sort of Afrikaaner-dominated South Africa into almost every map you make, even when the map is ostensibly supposed to be about Australia.
It's one of AH.com's major clichés like independent CSA. All the maps in the last 5-6 pages of this thread that include Africa, seem to have an Apartheid South Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.