Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Created a topographic map of westeros:
westeros topography.png

Io.png

JKTAMVy.png

The flag and a map of Free Io. Does not include Extraionian territories of Free Io.
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=free_io/detail=factbook/id=main
The Commonwealth of Free Io, commonly called Io or the Commonwealth, is a Workers' Democracy in the Jupiter system. It has sovereign control over a sphere from 500000 km (7 Jupiter Radii) to 170000 km (2.5 Jupiter Radii) above the surface of Jupiter, although its actual denial capability stretches to about 20000 km above each of the 7 major objects it lays claim to. It is bordered antijupiterward by the Free Jovian Republic, an important trading partner, and jupiterward by several minor polities. The full territory of the Commonwealth covers about 42095030 square kilometers and has has an estimated population of 27,193,000 workers. The Commonwealth exists as 16 Ionian States, 2 Amalthean States, 1 Thebean State, 3 Asteroid States, and 2 Magnetosphere generators; making for a total of 24 states.

The Commonwealth of Free Io is a relatively minor polity, and its most important export is phosphorous produced by the microscopic life living in its sulfur oceans. This means Io is the only major source of phosphorous beyond Earth, giving it a lot of trade leverage.

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=free_io/detail=factbook/id=main

Tell me if something is wrong!

Check out a map the regions of both the Netherlands and Belgium and you will see the same names on both sides of the borders. Zeeland, Brabant, Hainut, Limburg... They split them down along the lines of religion, though to be fair they had been seperated for some centuries anyways.

I'm sorry what!? They aren't split along the line of religion!? :p French Hainaut is Catholic as well as Belgian Hainaut and Dutch Limburg, Dutch Brabant and Zeelandic Flanders aren't Protestant while the Belgian ones are Catholic, in fact the whole South of Holland is catholic. The devisions were made by military conquest of parts of Medieval Countries, French Hainaut (and French and Walloon Flanders btw) were conquered by Louis XIV and the division between Belgian Flanders, Brabant and Limburg and the Dutch Lands of the Generality was a consolidation by treaty of the situation at the end of the 80years War :p

On your map you are showing both Belgian and Dutch Luxembourg, which, while currently having language issues as a lot of the Parisian dialect of French has been forced on them since the French Revolution

They speak Walloon French in most parts of Belgian Luxembourg, which is nowhere close to the Parisian Dialect

Last edited:
I thought that Bear Island corresponded to the Isle of Arran.

However, looking at the map in the post by @Clandango, you may be right. The Iron Islands may be the Scilly Isles instead. The Channel Islands could approximate to the Three Sisters.

The Scilly Isles is a strong candidate indeed. I once read on a book readers forum back in the days before game of thrones a hypotheses that Dorne is Brittany (chosen for the similarity of the name to Britain) making the Channel Islands the Stepstones. The same forum identified Skagos as a amalgamation of Skye, Islay and Mull making Skane the Westeros equivalent to the Isle of Arran

View attachment 347029

[...]Free Io[...]

Tell me if something is wrong!

Nice map! I want to see what the rest of the solar system looks like.

I only point this out due to your last statement, but the scarcity of phosphorous beyond Earth has been exaggerated. For example, Mars has a higher concentration of phosphorous than Earth. Not readily bioavailable, but it would share that in common with Io.
Linked article: "Overall, Mars also contains higher concentrations of volatile phosphorus than Earth, sitting further from the sun. This suggests that early Martian oceans would have been a better source of vital phosphorus than Earth’s seas."

In any case, ignore my nay-saying and show us the whole solar system!

the world of rattenkrieg - 1974.png

ASB idea I've had kickin' around in my head for a while. The USA doesn't enter WWI (at least at first), and the war goes underground.
Tech is more advanced weapon wise, although very steampunk-esque.
The Germans are mechanically altering their soldiers, and the European Entente are genetically/physically altering theirs.
The whole world is pretty much a hellhole at this point :confused:

EDIT: if anyone cares, it took Valdore Javorsky 's advice and wrote a short piece set in this world.
It's over on the writing forum:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/rattenkrieg-beneath-troyes.427537/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.