Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm already working on the United States! Started it earlier today.

Good. Look forward to it. Also agree re: counties in New England and state/province borders, they'd be too cluttering and distracting from the focal point of a distilled look at New England itself.

Nice! How was the border of the Iroquois autonomy mapped out? One would think there would be an effort to demarcate with rivers, watersheds or straight lines.
It was partially based on the borders I did for the Iroquois on a map I did months back. I wasn't thinking too much about it. I am thinking about this being apart of a timeline of its own, so in the future I'll probably change the borders so that they make a bit more sense. :)

Gian

Banned
Counting down to the last moments of 2017 (stateside ofc):

oRTVcLt.jpg

Gian

Banned
I guess Benedict Arnold didn't defect ITTL?

He was one of the figures behind the OTL (failed) U.S. conquest of Quebec and Nova Scotia. With Canada and Nova Scotia joining the rebel side from the onset [1], Arnold has an easier time seizing them.

[1] See @Glen's DSA series, which was one of the inspirations behind this map

Gian

Banned
On the one hand the attention to detail and sheer level of it is absolutely gorgeous and admirable. On the other hand, in some places I can't read a damned thing.

I might release a version with just the counties and another full version without them down the line.

That city is Melbourne, so are you saying in 2 years it will be annexed by india

I'd wager that either the Chinese would've purchased the entire city, or North Koreans might've nuked it by then. :p

> tfw parts of your town look already like the first picture and you will never live in glorious cyberpunk AnCapistan because the Malaysians and Frenchies hold a monopoly over the LNG plants

cqmeme2_by_kitfisto1997-dbyj6cz.png

Gian

Banned
Yeah, the road/state name/county name/Interstate shields/town names confluence is just impossible to decipher in the Boston area.

Still a great concept though @Gian

OK I see where you guys are getting at, hence why I might be releasing 2-3 versions (the full version, and one missing some elements (ie roads and counties)) if this gets completed.

To prove I'm not dead,

island_apart_by_goliath_maps-dbykat0.png

The year is 2056, and the standoff between Japan and the continent continues. The sovereignty of the Senkaku/Diaoyu, Dokdo/Takeshima Islands, and island of Taiwan is question. Increasingly however, Beijing threatens that when the situation is realized Japan will be brought 'in line' with the rest of Asia. Japan, for its part, is increasingly worried that its LDP-run democracy, sovereignty, and independence are being called into question.

In a world where the European Union has evolved through many forms but remains essentially functioning to the present day (with no single defining Brexit but instead a long history of 'half in, half out' British governments), Asia has followed suit. India and China, despite their differences, have found that by integrating their economies the speed of development has at last allowed both to outdo the U.S. in sheer economic size (though the aging U.S. remains quite a bit ahead in GDP per Capita). There's quite a bit of healthy competition between the two, but their joining forces convinced many more states to join in. A single bank, currency (to compete with the Euro and Dollar), unified armed forces, and a loose set of basic laws above even national ones, followed. The name for this union, containing roughly half of humanity, came from one of the ancient Sanskrit names for the continent (roughly equivalent in meaning to the old Anglo-Saxon's 'Middle Earth') - Jambudvipa (閻浮提 'Yanfuti' in Chinese, 'Enbudai' in Japanese). The Jambudvipa Collective soon became large enough to self-sufficient; though member states function essentially as a single economy now, trade with the outside world has been essentially ended.

Japan (which has surpassed the U.S. in GDP per capita but has a much smaller economy overall) had no interest in joining a Beijing-Delhi co-dominion, and has been horrified at the loss of relative power to the continent. Another non-joiner, has been the Republic of Taiwan, which dropped pretenses of unifying with the mainland two decades back. Taiwan is undergoing a bit of a dramatic change; nationalism and self-love of a uniquely 'Taiwanese' identity are surging, and Taiwanese (Taiwanese Hokkien written with a combination of Characters and Bopomofo, similar to how Japanese is written) has replaced Mandarin as the official language. On the mainland, the Chinese 'Dialects' (except for Cantonese which is going plenty strong) are being squashed, and the non-Han minority languages are going the way of Irish, but Taiwan's political spectrum is united behind the carving out of a new identity.

The U.S. is still treaty-bound to protect Japan (though Washington makes a point of saying it will not intervene in a conflict if Japan is the initiator), but the protection of Taiwan is managed essentially independently by Tokyo. Though the Jambudvipa Collective's army, numbering nearly six million active troops*, is the largest in the world, Japan has a few tricks up its metaphorical sleeve. Japan went nuclear a few decades ago. And, this being the future after all, Japan has the world's most advanced robot army. Japan's navy is on closer footing of course, but still a bit behind. Even pushing nuclear technology aside, Japan has enough biological weapons stored up to kill a few hundred million. Japan's economy, though long seen as one of the most stagnant in Asia, has in the last three decades accomplished Meiji-esque levels of catch-up.

It's a rather State-Capitalist, Single-Party-Democracy World (Japan still has the LDP, China's Communist Party has a few alternatives but is still assured of election victory 95% of the time, and India may have sidelined the Congress and BJP but there's a new topdog in Delhi too). Global Warming has made significant changes to the Earth atmosphere, but recent efforts have meant that its not going to get much worse. The moon is dotted with settlements, and military bases have been established as far out as Pluto. The Internet is less and less one piece, with paywalls and censorship making it work increasingly differently in different countries. Though the world increasingly looks divided into large blocs* which operate outside of the U.S. system, American culture (or at least American Culture from roughly 1950 to 2020) continues to be a powerful influence around the rest of the world. Increasingly, mainland Asia (with its homegrown fast-food restaurants, unnecessary love of highways and suburban sprawl, and an over-the-top 'can do' attitude) shows influence of a fun-house mirror version of U.S. culture.

Amidst much larger powers, Japan finds itself increasingly isolated but up to the challenge.

*(Former Russia, North Africa, Central America, and of course Japan-Taiwan being the main exceptions)

Status
Not open for further replies.