Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faeelin

Banned
An interesting map; Russia seems to have exploded, somehow.

Sardinia seems to have French outlining; is it ruled jointly by France and Italy?

Goldstein

Banned
Sorry if I come late to this but, What´s the Iberian Union? and Why could be Bilbao the capital (I suposse that´s de capital)? I say so because I think that no one outside of the actual Euskadi could see Bilbao as capital of that Union (ASB,I could assure you, I´m from there) and most of basques are happy with its current capital

I can understand perfectly why the capital is in Bilbao. It was the most industrialized and advanced city of that area at that time, as pure and simple as that. It makes much more sense that calling the whole place Galicia, as in the first map.

Oh and by the way... Awesome map, Legolas! :cool::cool:

Last edited:
The Iberian Union is a country formed by a rather ragtag group of Basque nationalists, communists and som disgruntled nobles in the very end of the 19th century. The main reason for it sticking together as a country was the threat of Spain reclaiming its lands. The secondary reason were rather effective total control methods employed by the ruling elite of the country aimed at the general population (so, propaganda, surveillance, etc.).

Oh, and don't quote maps in the future, if you will :)

You have Tunis labelled "Libya". As far as I know, it has never been called that - a small point about a beautiful map. I'd be interested to hear how Austria got Croatia and Dalmatia. Hungary must be unhappy.

I can understand perfectly why the capital is in Bilbao. It was the most industrialized and advanced city of that area at that time, as pure as simple as that. It makes much more sense that calling the whole place Galicia, as in the first map.

Oh and by the way... Awesome map, Legolas! :cool::cool:
Yeah, Ok, but even now, Gasteiz it´s the former capital of Euskadi. You know it´s like take the capital of Italy to Milan or the capital of USA to Detroit. No problem to me but it´s sounds rare.
On the other hand, I agree with the general opinion, the map is excellent.
Good work, Legolas

An interesting map; Russia seems to have exploded, somehow.

Sardinia seems to have French outlining; is it ruled jointly by France and Italy?

The PoD was that in 1812, a group of Lithuanian (or Grand-Duchy-of-Lithuanian) noblemen succeeded in convincing the Russian Tsar to grant Lithuania autonomy. All the territory that was part of GDL in 1773-1793 (between the First and Second partitions) and now belonged to Russia was to become the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, with the Russian Tsar as the Grand Duke.

Fast forward to 1830s. The "Spring of nations" is far more succesful, with Finland, Lithuania, Poland, Hungary and Belgium achieving independence. Things happen afterwards, and subsequently a coalition (Lublin Pact) is formed between Germany, Lithuania, a reluctant Poland and Ottoman Empire against Russia. Russia loses that war badly, resulting in Livonia, Ukraine, Moldavia and Crimea. A few years later, Lithuania and Ukraine jointly beat Poland and take small bits off of it, which later results in Volhyn (also called West Ukraine) and Belarus being formed.

Italy is another matter. France and Austria are good friends, mostly because of a joint enemy in Germany. They decided that Italy was proving too troublesome, and therefore agreed to unite that country to appease the nationalists. However, Italy is a Kingdom ruled by a Hapsburg, with Sardinia an autonomous Duchy ruled by a Bourbon (who are still monarchs in France, there was no Second Republic). The Papal state was also a formal part of Italy protected by the French Army until 1895, when a Concordate with the Pope was reached and Rome became the capital of Italy with the Pope left to directly rule over Vatican only, but being granted more power in the Italian National Assembly (an advisory council to the King).

Abdul Hadi Pasha said:
You have Tunis labelled "Libya". As far as I know, it has never been called that - a small point about a beautiful map. I'd be interested to hear how Austria got Croatia and Dalmatia. Hungary must be unhappy.

Austria had Croatia and Dalmatia at the time of the PoD, and there were no major conflicts in the Balkans except for the Hungarian War of Independence / Rebellion (depends on who you ask). So Austria kept those lands.

Tunis is a part of an autonomous district of Libya within the Ottoman Empire, would this be reasonable in any way shape or form? :)

Let's see...how to get a grossly overpowered Britain AND Russia...

Russia is slightly more powerful than OTL - only Outer Mongolia added to the Tsar's sphere of influence. For Britain, you just need a British victory in a hypothetical Anglo-American War - not as ASB as it might seem, given that the country has been split into tiny pieces, so evidently the nation was in civil war at the time.

After some criticism both here and on CF.net, I decided to correct this map. So here you go, version 2.

Take that, Rhineland! Being a bitch to the french... thanks for "correcting" the map, it's perfect now. And that Germany is almost perfect size in my terms. No need for pesky south germans. :D

I'll enjoy my tea now :p

JJohnson

Banned
Interesting - the South German states must not have joined the North German Confederation...very plausible. How did the Iberian Union come about? Iceland to Germany? And how would this affect having any World Wars? Would they still occur?

Keep up the good work,

James

After some criticism both here and on CF.net, I decided to correct this map. So here you go, version 2.

Interesting - the South German states must not have joined the North German Confederation...very plausible. How did the Iberian Union come about? Iceland to Germany? And how would this affect having any World Wars? Would they still occur?

Keep up the good work,

James

Thank you :) The south German states did not join Prussia because Prussia was beaten by France in a war and thus lost influence in the south (the war was far earlier than OTL's Franco-Prussian war, so France still had the upper hand). Then Prussia decisively beat Denmark and annexed it (this is why Iceland is German, although formally Danish, but Denmark is part of Germany). The Iberian Union, as I explained a bit earlier, is a revolutionary country formed by Basque nationalists, communists and disappointed noblemen. Very strange, very diverse, but kept together by a threat of Spain reconquering the country.

As for the world wars - I do not know yet. I am trying to think of a logical outcome of the current alliance system (a French-Austrian-Russian-Polish-Italian alliance and a German-Ottoman-Lithuanian-Livonian-Finnish-Ukrainian one, with a British-Belgian-Swedish-Greek-Portugese and an American-Spanish-Japanese one sort-of in the sidelines) that would be different from OTL's WW1, but can't figure anything satisfactory so far. Once, and if, I do, I will post a map and an update.

Ten points to anyone who can figure out what this is a map of; 100 to anyone who can correctly name all 19 countries. (Here's a hint: 13, 14, 17 and 18 are the hard ones. ;))

nocheating.PNG

nocheating.PNG

Susano

Banned
United Kingdoms of Netherland (Orange-Nassau)

Kingdom of Prussia (Hohenzollern)

Kingdom of Franconia (Wittelsbach)

Kingdom of Westphalen (Wettin)
Kingdom of Württemberg (Württemberg)

Kingdom of Sardinia (Savoy)

Kingdom of France (Bourbon)

In reaction to that, since I still buy that Wittelsbachia among other things, my own post-napoleonic map:
Europe 1830, after the 4th Nordic War and the Second Mediation

1830.gif

Sorry if I come late to this but, What´s the Iberian Union? and Why could be Bilbao the capital (I suposse that´s de capital)? I say so because I think that no one outside of the actual Euskadi could see Bilbao as capital of that Union (ASB,I could assure you, I´m from there) and most of basques are happy with its current capital
EUSKADI!!! WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive been pushing that for so damn long! finally nice to see another basque

Thande

Donor
In reaction to that, since I still buy that Wittelsbachia among other things, my own post-napoleonic map:
Europe 1830, after the 4th Nordic War and the Second Mediation

I can't help noticing that your HRE/German Confederation border appears to go around the Netherlands and Switzerland...

Status
Not open for further replies.