Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

@rexnerdorum know that I'm a big fan of your map of Ictoria, which still inspires me and which I share with friends IRL.
In fact, it seems to me that it was the last thing that motivated me to sign up for AH when you made a dedicated thread to talk about the chronology of your universe.
And I'm also the unfortunate one who had close by a mod the thread by posting on it late. :cryingface:
I really appreciate your work @RedBeret which extends it. However I'm not sure what was written between "The Towerlands" and "Lands of sled drivers".
Did you create a lore around it or not?
Wow, thank you! I very much appreciate your compliment.

I really appreciate your work @RedBeret which extends it. However I'm not sure what was written between "The Towerlands" and "Lands of sled drivers".
Did you create a lore around it or not?
Cheers! That part reads 'The Trench' – the low-lying flatland which was once the English Channel. No particularly deep lore for the moment I'm afraid.

Also, side note. Don't think I don't see you and your Shrek-related contest suggestions. They are seen and barely slightly tolerated. Any more cute stuff and the next contest will be about the history of 8.5x11in white paper.

Looking at the calendar, if there are no extensions to rounds, we will have one more regular round before the annual Map of the Month during the end of December and early January. If anyone has ideas for a MotM theme that is slightly bigger or grander in scale, please put them in the thread.

Looking at the calendar, if there are no extensions to rounds, we will have one more regular round before the annual Map of the Month during the end of December and early January. If anyone has ideas for a MotM theme that is slightly bigger or grander in scale, please put them in the thread.

With that timeslot some Christmas or New Year's thing feels right.

Maybe something relating to anniversaries or epochs. Or transition points. Changing from one situation to a new one (like the start of a new year).
As for what might be the examples, perhaps depicting state unification, creation of an international organisation or adoption of a new constitution could be ways which one might interpret the transition/epoch thing.

Where I'm at right now:
  • MotF 285: Candle in the Window still doesn't have any submissions. I'm not in a rush to close it at the moment, so I'm comfortable holding it open for the time being while we talk about;
  • MotM! Looking at the calendar, I believe it will start next week, December 11th, and close January 8th, encompassing major holiday times and whatnot. If I were to open MotM 11 today, I would likely go with Gokbay's suggestion, something like "The Times They Are A-Changin'" - make two maps representing the same country/organization in different epochs. The maps should point to a transition period that catalyzed the change.
I would like to hear some thoughts on the MotM prompt. Is this something you have ideas for and would participate in? If not, what other themes or ideas would you suggest?

Where I'm at right now:
  • MotF 285: Candle in the Window still doesn't have any submissions. I'm not in a rush to close it at the moment, so I'm comfortable holding it open for the time being while we talk about;
  • MotM! Looking at the calendar, I believe it will start next week, December 11th, and close January 8th, encompassing major holiday times and whatnot. If I were to open MotM 11 today, I would likely go with Gokbay's suggestion, something like "The Times They Are A-Changin'" - make two maps representing the same country/organization in different epochs. The maps should point to a transition period that catalyzed the change.
I would like to hear some thoughts on the MotM prompt. Is this something you have ideas for and would participate in? If not, what other themes or ideas would you suggest?

Honestly, between a rather hectic calendar right now and a prompt that I can't really find a good idea for, doing something for the MotF seems unlikely for me.

As for the MotM, the other day I was thinking, it could be interesting to do something having to do with climate, like a landscape that changes from winter to summer, or between global warming vs nuclear winter, or something. But I also like the suggestion for the transition periods, that could be fun to think about.

Where I'm at right now:

Honestly MOTF 285's prompt isn't particularly inspiring.

I like the MOTM 11's.

Candle in the Window still doesn't have any submissions. I'm not in a rush to close it at the moment, so I'm comfortable holding it open for the time being while we talk about;
I am very busy right now, but I can make something Sunday.
MotM! Looking at the calendar, I believe it will start next week, December 11th, and close January 8th, encompassing major holiday times and whatnot. If I were to open MotM 11 today, I would likely go with Gokbay's suggestion, something like "The Times They Are A-Changin'" - make two maps representing the same country/organization in different epochs. The maps should point to a transition period that catalyzed the change.
I think that sounds reasonable, though as I still haven't released what I was working on for that LAST YEAR I don't know that I'll be able to get anything in

Where I'm at right now:
Can I be honest? The MoTF theme is just bad. Can we change it?

And as for the MoTM one, it's very cool, I would probably submit an entry.

EDIT: I would also like to submit some theme ideas:
Summer is Ending - Make a map of a last-ditch effort to stop an empire from crumbling
Take it Easy - Make a map of a successfully averted international crisis
Birthday Divergence - Make a map of a world which diverged from our own on the date of your birthday (not necessarily the same year)
Sermon on the Mount - Make a map of a surprising takeover of a polity by a new religious movement

Last edited:
Based on feedback, MotF 285 will be the first MotF of the new year with a new theme.

MotM 11 will start on Monday with the theme "The Times They Are A-Changin'" with a closing date of January 8th.

I appreciate all of the contest suggestions, please keep them coming.

I am very busy right now, but I can make something Sunday.
I apologize but none of my ideas materialized.

I considered a holiday to celebrate Italy's liberation from a much more successful Caliphate, and a holiday to celebrate the onset of the French Revolution in a world where the French won the Coalition Wars over a century ago and the bloated French Republic had now fallen. The idea was that the holidays about the Revolution were being rethought to accommodate the newly liberated rest of Europe. Finally I tried to make a map of the world according to a template for Strabo's geography that I found in an older map thread, with a vague idea of something about the Roman Empire in a more Persian-dominated world, but I couldn't think of anything in a timely fashion.

I apologize but none of my ideas materialized.

I considered a holiday to celebrate Italy's liberation from a much more successful Caliphate, and a holiday to celebrate the onset of the French Revolution in a world where the French won the Coalition Wars over a century ago and the bloated French Republic had now fallen. The idea was that the holidays about the Revolution were being rethought to accommodate the newly liberated rest of Europe. Finally I tried to make a map of the world according to a template for Strabo's geography that I found in an older map thread, with a vague idea of something about the Roman Empire in a more Persian-dominated world, but I couldn't think of anything in a timely fashion.
No worries! I appreciate the consideration that you put into the previous theme for the contest. I try and pick themes that are fresh and interesting for everyone and recognize sometimes they don't pan out, which is okay. As long as folks are having fun and enjoying each other's creations, that's what counts for me.