Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

@Bob Hope nice map!
But unless i’m Really missing something I don’t see how exactly an OTL map of Vatican fits with the theme, it’s neither vast nor sparsely populated, and even if you take it from the angle of say the covid pandemic and lower tourism and closed border there are still according to Wikipedia 453 permanent resident In Vatican

@Bob Hope nice map!
But unless i’m Really missing something I don’t see how exactly an OTL map of Vatican fits with the theme, it’s neither vast nor sparsely populated, and even if you take it from the angle of say the covid pandemic and lower tourism and closed border there are still according to Wikipedia 453 permanent resident In Vatican
They may be residents but they are not citizens. This is a that has 0 population growth and can only garner population from outside, all of them dual passport holders so it can be argued not citizens of the Vatican.

They may be residents but they are not citizens. This is a that has 0 population growth and can only garner population from outside, all of them dual passport holders so it can be argued not citizens of the Vatican.
I mean if their passports are recognized by pretty much all countries, then what would make them not citizen?

I mean no offense, and in the end it’s just an internet contest. But that’s kinda trolling, you don’t even explicitly explain that in what is just an otl map which goes in the complete opposite of the current theme.

Also your explanation as far as I know is wrong if it’s OTL since the Vatican does have a citizenship and passport which 450 people have, it’s just jus officii- related to one’s appoinyment , and i don’t see how them having dual citizenship - most probably Italian - denies their Vatican passport? And even then there is something quite wrong with saying a resident of a country “doesn’t count” if they don’t have a citizenship

The Black Sheep of the Family - create a map of a US state (within the contiguous US) with substantial political and/or cultural differences from all the others.

I mean if their passports are recognized by pretty much all countries, then what would make them not citizen?
I mean no offense, and in the end it’s just an internet contest. But that’s kinda trolling, you don’t even explicitly explain that in what is just an otl map which goes in the complete opposite of the current theme.

Also your explanation as far as I know is wrong if it’s OTL since the Vatican does have a citizenship and passport which 450 people have, it’s just jus officii- related to one’s appoinyment , and i don’t see how them having dual citizenship - most probably Italian - denies their Vatican passport? And even then there is something quite wrong with saying a resident of a country “doesn’t count” if they don’t have a citizenship
I realise this could be interpreted to mean I think "a resident of a country “doesn’t count”", that is not the case. I am just saying that the passports/"citizenship" are job related and are more analogous to the US Green Card allowing residence whilst that person works in that country. In my opinion that does not make them citizens no matter how long they stay.

Edit; There are 4 ways in which a person can gain "citizenship" of the Vatican and the fourth refers mostly to the spouses and children of people who gain "citizenship" by that route.
The Vatican does NOT use the internationally accepted citizenship rules; Birth, by blood or residency.

Last edited:
I realise this could be interpreted to mean I think "a resident of a country “doesn’t count”", that is not the case. I am just saying that the passports/"citizenship" are job related and are more analogous to the US Green Card allowing residence whilst that person works in that country. In my opinion that does not make them citizens no matter how long they stay.

Edit; There are 4 ways in which a person can gain "citizenship" of the Vatican and the fourth refers mostly to the spouses and children of people who gain "citizenship" by that route.
The Vatican does NOT use the internationally accepted citizenship rules; Birth, by blood or residency.

Right, you do you, and well you may not consider them Citizens but the vatican and italy do and they still inhabit the micro state.
Also Popes (well i guess except benedict XVI) and Cardinals who live in the vatican since they are elected for life (well cardinals can't elect after 80 but they still have the title) can perfectly be considered permanent citizen, and they are 121 together, giving the vatican a density of
In either way, this map is both IRL which kinda goes against the whole spirit of the contest, and is explicitely opposite to the rules and you base it on a very weird technicallity that holds little ground.

OTL maps are permitted as long as they are original work (though rarely a popular choice). Bob's entry technically meets the requirements; as it is a contest, I'll leave it to the voters to decide whether they like his interpretation.

The Black Sheep of the Family - create a map of a US state (within the contiguous US) with substantial political and/or cultural differences from all the others.

Could I suggest expanding the contest beyond the US to any subnational entity? That would give contestants more room for creativity

OTL maps are permitted as long as they are original work (though rarely a popular choice). Bob's entry technically meets the requirements; as it is a contest, I'll leave it to the voters to decide whether they like his interpretation.

ALrifht seems kinda weird to accept it over a self contradicting technicality “they don’t count because they aren’t citizen” and “they aren’t citizen because I don’t consider them to be despite having passports”
But I won’t bitch further, just seems weird

Wait submission ends at like Monday morning UTC or more end of Monday In Europe or America?

As in is there 24 h or 48 left

Oops, sorry - my internal clock has gotten screwed up and I was thinking that yesterday was Sunday for some reason. Entries close Monday evening, US Eastern Time.

A few suggestions for next MotF

On the Move: Depict a country that has a large nomadic population

Speaking in Tongues: Depict a country where only a very small percent of the country speaks the official language.

I'll also resubmit:
Rock the Casbah
Create a map showing a form of entertainment or recreation in a majority-Muslim country

Speaking in Tongues: Depict a country where only a very small percent of the country speaks the official language.

I'll also resubmit:

I like speaking in tongues, some potential for a varieties of empires, recent conquests, colonies and artificial states or ludicrous government

Congratulations to @Prince di Corsica for a decisive victory in MotF 221, with his map "Territorios Antarcticos Portugueses!"

New threads are now posted:
MotF 222: The Vast Expanse - Voting Thread
MotF 223: The Black Sheep - Entry Thread

I'll also resubmit:
Rock the Casbah: Create a map showing a form of entertainment or recreation in a majority-Muslim country

I like the first two; we could run either of those at some point. I'm a little leery of the third one - the name is cute, but it seems like a pretty specific subject. I'd want to be sure there were several people interested in entering before running that one.