They're on a solid path, but they're also going to run out of time before full training can take hold, I'd guess.
No one is ever ready for war

But ITTL Fatboy Coxy has the DUKE forces far more ready than they ever could be OTL and he has delivered them to this point via the most 'un hand wavium' fashion that I think I have seen on this forum.

I mean just that last post regarding the range of radio sets on Aircraft is a level of detail that is just quite frankly amazing.

Driftless

Donor

But ITTL Fatboy Coxy has the DUKE forces far more ready than they ever could be OTL and he has delivered them to this point via the most 'un hand wavium' fashion that I think I have seen on this forum.

I mean just that last post regarding the range of radio sets on Aircraft is a level of detail that is just quite frankly amazing.
Oh, FBC has the DUKE forces in far better shape that OTL, but not where they want to, or need to be - which correlates to your point. Just how ready, we will find out!

1941, Wednesday 12 November;

The work on building the facilities for a radar station on Western Hill, Penang, was proving to be very difficult, and was reliant on using the funicular railway, or a pack mule train, and then creating a jeep track to the site.
Very minor nit pick. As the Jeep had not yet entered service , even with the US forces, perhaps another descriptor could be used?

Oh, FBC has the DUKE forces in far better shape that OTL, but not where they want to, or need to be - which correlates to your point. Just how ready, we will find out!

D -26 and counting! Changing from What If to What Happens!!
What would be really funny is if Coxy chooses to end his timeline right before the action starts, simply saying that "it would turn out to be a case of the biter bit".

I wouldn't even be mad; I would laugh my head off and say well played.

Very minor nit pick. As the Jeep had not yet entered service , even with the US forces, perhaps another descriptor could be used?
The Jeep was certainly inuse by this time, especially in Malaya and NEI, it was called the Bantam Jeep.
The American Bantam Car Company invented the vehicle and produced it since 1940.

Last edited:

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor

Hi Cryhavoc101, being a Diplodocus, means I'm not just fat, but thick as swell, I had look another of your expressions up, "Hand Wavium"!

I do so want to be as historically correct as I can, and try to research where I can. The use of Park, Radar and the RAF probably being in a defensive posture for much of this timeline allows me to make some correlation with the Battle of Britain, as in how the RAF system worked. I believe the diversion of some radar units from West African destinations can be argued, and the timelines I have gave to have them all installed and working, realistic. It is a stretch, however to have so many Article XV squadrons achieve operational status in such short order, March/April and even later, to November.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Hi Igkmas, Ouch, fumble!

The Jeep was certainly inuse by this time, especially in Malaya and NEI, it was called the Bantam Jeep.
The American Bantam Car Company invented the vehicle and produced it since 1940.
Hi Parma, Nice pick up!, we're up and running again, ten yard line!

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
What would be really funny is if Coxy chooses to end his timeline right before the action starts, simply saying that "it would turn out to be a case of the biter bit".

I wouldn't even be mad; I would laugh my head off and say well played.
Hi Sekhmet_D, it will come to that, but hopefully not until I've proved Britain could have held Malaya, or has lost it!

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
So yet another small improvement in the British situation in Malaysia, this time that of the Airforces, which under the inspired leadership of Park, have made considerable improvements over their situation IOTL. Has everything that needs to be done been done, No, there has not been the time or resources available, to bring the airforces up to the standard that they truly need. However I believe enough has been done to date, to ensure that the Japanese forces unless they enjoy extraordinary luck, are going to fail to gain ether air superiority or supremacy during the upcoming conflict. Yes the aircraft available along with the facilities, leave something to be desired, the majority of the aircraft are by European standards outdated, and even by the local standards they are lacking. While the facilities and support available are in addition to being very much a work in progress, are also rough and ready. It would be nice to have all the airfields built with hard all weather runways, secure blast proof hand-standings, adequate anti aircraft guns, and bomb proof storage for fuel, ammunition and spares. But as was repeatedly found to be the case right up until today, a lot can be done with piles of dirt in cloth bags, to reduce the amount of damage caused by bombing. And while it must be remembered that training should never end, and that there are a number of problems with the aircrew’s right now, as a lot of them are inexperienced, they are mostly being led by highly experienced and combat veterans. While on the ground there is a growing number of veterans who are providing their experience and knowledge, to both the preparations and training.

Malaysia can be effectively split into five zones, BAZ, WCAZ, ECAZ, SADZ, and SZ. That’s the Boarder Air Zone, which covers everything south of the Malay Thailand border for 100 miles and north of the border as far as each type of aircraft can range. WCAZ, West Coast Air Zone, everything along the west coast from south of the BAZ east to the central highlands and north of the SADZ. ECAZ East Coast Air Zone, everything south of the BAZ, west to the central highlands and north of the SADZ. But unlike the WCAZ, which has very little maritime search and patrol requirements, has the responsibility of extensive search, strike and patrol operations in the South China Sea. SADZ, Singapore Air Defence Zone which although the smallest zone, has in many ways the greatest responsibility, the defence of the colonies most vital city and the Britain's principal naval base in the Far East. Basically the a zone around Singapore extending to 100 miles, that has the most complex air defence system east of Suez. Which despite warnings from the Germans, is going to be a major shock to the Japanese, who haven’t up until now encountered an integrated air defence network. SZ Southern Zone everything south of the SADZ, which is mostly a backwater whose only purpose is maintaining communications with the DEI and maritime patrols primarily for Japanese submarines. Is HQ will be collocated with that of the SADZ, as it has very little combat responsibilities.

While the BAZ will be a area of intense activity once the Japanese launch their offensive, as it tries to defend its airspace against the Japanese, while attempting to launch attacks against the Japanese land, sea and airforces. Such as attacks against the front lines, their supply lines and the forward Japanese airfields, and any Japanese naval presence of the coast. It will however have the advantage of being able to swap units as they become worn out with the commands behind, and if necessary to fall back onto prepared facilities. Unlike the Japanese who are going to find that not only are they having major trouble with their logistics, but that any British airfield they manage to capture has been thoroughly destroyed and made unusable. While their own airfields in Thailand and FIC, are being attacked from the air and possibly the ground. As for the SADZ, IOTL the initial Japanese bombing mission involved 17 bombers of the 65 that had set out, so 48 had had to turn back due to bad weather, and came as a total surprise to the British. I would expect that ITTL, the British will be far more awake, and within minutes of the Japanese launching their assault on Hong Kong, the forces in Malaysia will be going to full alert. If we are generous and allow the Japanese better weather, so that all their aircraft are able to fly to Singapore, at just before 03:30 hrs on the 8th of December the first aircraft will be detected by radar in Singapore. This should allow the air-raid sirens to be sounded by 04:00 hrs, and unlike IOTL, where there had only been two air-raid drills, ITTL there has been numerous drills. Singapore will not be lit up like a Christmas tree, every anti aircraft gun will be manned and ready, and the Civil Defence, Police and Military will be deployed and ready. Park is not Brooke-Popham, and his night-fighters will not be elsewhere diverted to ground attack duties, and he will order all available aircraft into the air.

As a result I would expect the Japanese to lose 10% of their attacking aircraft, to the guns and night-fighters. With possible additional aircraft lost to day fighters launched as additional forces during the raid, or just after. On the ground while there will be more damage than was achieved IOTL, the much better preparations, and the effectiveness of the blackout will ensure that nothing vital is destroyed. This attack will not come as a great surprise to the British or the local population, they have been well prepared for this eventuality, and unless the Japanese can repeat it nightly, which would divert their aircraft from supporting their forces in the north. It will be seen for what it is a desperate attempt to panic the people of Singapore. IOTL it wasn’t until the Japanese had reached Kuala Lumpur a month later that the Japanese started to engage in daylight raids, and there was only one minor two aircraft raid before the next nighttime attack at the end of December. If the British manage to keep the Japanese north of a line between Kuala Lumpur and Kuantan, while causing them additional losses in aircraft in the battle in the north and during any subsequent night raids, it is very doubtful that the Japanese will be launching a daylight raid. And if they did it would suffer major casualties, as by then every British pilot will be combat experienced, and in combination with the extensive air defence system, in the right place to inflict the maximum damage. Prior to this I would expect the Japanese to have fought a much tougher campaign in the air than the did IOTL, and suffered significant casualties on the ground and in the air. While any amphibious assaults would have been subjected to intense air strikes, and the British naval capital units, wouldn’t be sailing around without air cover, or looking for phantoms. As the maritime patrol aircraft will be providing timely and accurate reports on any Japanese vessels in the South China Sea.

To briefly sum up, while the British are still well short of what they require to be able to easily defeat a Japanese attack by land, sea and air on Malaysia. Enough has been done that any Japanese attack will have very little chance of success, and is going to be incredibly costly, and seriously disruptive their plans. Park has done enough with what little he has to make the Malayan Peninsula a very hard nut to crack. And if all goes as well as I believe it will, is bound to get a Knighthood out of this, which will seriously piss of his old mate Leigh-Mallory, who is going to be trying to explain why there are so many British fighters being shot down over France for so little return.

RR.

the one thing the DUKE forces need to do especially is a denial of assets and resources cause the Japanese lived off captured supplies as well as destroy any infrastructure

The Japanese captured Bantam, Ford, and Willys models in the PI during 1942. The included photo shows a Bantam of the 194th Tank Battalion on the Fort Stotsenberg parade ground in 1941. Notice the “barn house” and acacia trees of Officer’s Row in the background. You can still stand where this photo was taken, complete with trees and houses. He’s probably supposed to be watching planes flying around Clark field, but I like to think he’s looking at the post theater to see what’s showing. The somewhat disgruntled looking driver hiding the cigarette and the guy in overseas cap in the back (PAO?) kind of spoil the overall warry-ness.

Kind of sobering considering the 194th suffered close to 50% casualties during their war; the bulk during their time as POWs.

1693684492383.jpeg

Last edited:

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
the one thing the DUKE forces need to do especially is a denial of assets and resources cause the Japanese lived off captured supplies as well as destroy any infrastructure

There can be no doubt that ITTL, not only have preparations been made to feed the population in the event of an invasion, see previously mentioned establishment of strategic rice stockpiles. But in addition efforts to deny the enemy access to food, fuel and transport supplies are well prepared, and these along with greater efforts to evacuate the local population. Will ensure that the Japanese are going to find very little available to use, and that there will be a much greater destruction of everything from food to infrastructure as they advance. While a policy of scorched earth as was practiced by the Soviet Union against the Germans is not possible in Malaysia, the climate doesn’t permit the burning of the rice crop, in the same way that the Soviets could set their wheat fields alight. The Japanese are going to find very little useful food, fuel and transportation, during their campaign inside Malaysia. While their own supply chain will be constantly under attack from the air and ground, note that the British have established stay behind parties, able to ether call in an air-strike , or conduct a sabotage operation. Given just how little motorised transport the Japanese have, every lorry intercepted and destroyed, is a major loss, that can not be easily replaced.

RR.

Hi Igkmas, Ouch, fumble!

Hi Parma, Nice pick up!, we're up and running

Bantam and Willys produced about 1000 Jeeps in 1940, in 1941 Bantam, Willys and Ford produced 8598 jeeps. After 1941 Bantam only produced trailers for 1/4 ton, to 5 ton size.

The UK doesn't have to defeat the Japanese right away, they just have to hold on long enough for the Japanese to defeat themselves. Between their doctrine on land with the lack of logistics, and the fact that the Army and Navy don't talk if not lie outright to each other, they are going to be on the short end of all of it.

The UK doesn't have to defeat the Japanese right away, they just have to hold on long enough for the Japanese to defeat themselves. Between their doctrine on land with the lack of logistics, and the fact that the Army and Navy don't talk if not lie outright to each other, they are going to be on the short end of all of it.
Maybe, maybe not. In the medium term, assuming they avoid the OTL collapse, the British in Malaya will be facing several problems.

They have very few reinforcements available - apart from the already-discussed 18th Division and the (Australian) 2 AIF there's really not a lot on the horizon. British forces in Africa will probably be very busy with a chap called Rommel and any new forces from the UK are likely to there in preference to the Far East. Say 4-5 divisions of fully trained and equipped troops (half of them Australian) if they strip Africa and the Middle East to the limit - and after that, you're looking at grass-green Indian Army brigades with minimal equipment (looks nervously at OTL). The Japanese meanwhile will be throwing everything they can raise into the ABDA region, because if they fail to secure the Southern Resource Area, they lose the war.

They can't expect much from their Allies - the Dutch have no reserves, the Australians have political issues and SE Asia/the East Indies are really awkward for the US to get to and the US priority is Europe First. There will be some odds and ends - for example the US Army brigades that OTL became the Americal Division, but any serious commitment means downgrading Torch or accepting that there will be no Second Front in 1943.

Malaya/Singapore can't be held without holding at least Western Java and Southern Sumatra. It does no good to be watching the Japanese Western Force batter itself against your defence line in central Malaya while the Centre Force whips round behind you and turns Singapore into a tropical Stalingrad, with you as the Germans. So what forces they do have are going to end up split over multiple fronts.

The Japanese have air strength, naval strength and are very good at using short-range tactical amphibious hops to unravel a defence line. Malaya and the East Indies are not a fun place to defend, with few reserves and all those beaches behind you.

If it was just a matter of stopping the IJA 25th Army in Malaya, the British should have a decent chance. However, that is just Step 1.

D -26 and counting! Changing from What If to What Happens!!
I do wonder if some of the changes here might change the date?

I mean what set the 7th Dec as the day anyway?

IIRC it was a Sunday morning in Hawaii and the Japanese liked this time as it was 'the morning after Saturday' - thinking folk will be hung over or some such, and 'People will be at Church' and therefore the enemies at their least effectiveness.

It was the same for the Indian Ocean raid on Columbo

So perhaps it is fixed!

Hi Igkmas, Ouch, fumble!

Hi Parma, Nice pick up!, we're up and running again, ten yard line!
That may well be but none of the Australian TOEs show jeeps on establishment at this time and I suspect neither do the UK ones.. Later, yes, plenty of them. Since large scale production only took off in early 1941, I am doubtful that a), many actually reached Malaya as opposed to North Africa and b), that a senior officer would be thinking in jeep terms when most of his life had been Austins and Bedfords.
Still. it does give us an idea of what was meant.

Where there’s a will there’s a way. Tracks (dozers), animals, people. Whatever it takes.

Going back to at least 1778 at Ticonderoga the British military has excelled at placing heavy equipment into operation at odd locations. Once the equipment is moved, sustainment is usually a relatively easier process.

The process can be accelerated with command emphasis…

Last edited: