List of Alternate Presidents and PMs II

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so this isnt my creation its just the list of presidents in Jon Bois' series 17776 cause in the opening video at the end of the first chapter scrolls by the future presidents really fast

List of Presidents in Jon Bois' 17776
2017-2025: Donald Trump (Republican)
2025-2029: Tom Cotton (Republican)

2029-2037: Tulsi Gabbard (Democratic)
2037-2045: Keith Ellison (Democratic)

2045-2049: George P. Bush (Republican)
2049-2057: Bernie Sanders (Democratic)
????: Michael Bennet (Democratic)
????: Kamala Harris (Democratic)

????: John Thune (Republican)
????: Amy Klobuchar (Democratic)
????:
3,777 other people up to the year 17776

if this list seems weird considering the dates its cause:
everyone stops dying or aging (as in like our telomeres deteriorating, children grow into adults and conceived babies are born) on april 7, 2026 and people arent conceived after that date either

Last edited:
*Someone else on this forum has also heard of 17776*
abed.gif

1940: Douglas MacArthur /Joseph William Martin Jr. [Non-Partisan]
1944: Douglas MacArthur / Joseph William Martin Jr. [Non-Partisan]

1948: Joseph William Martin Jr. [National] / Sam Rayburn [People's Patriotic]
1952: Sam Rayburn / Herbert H. Lehman [People's Patriotic]
1956: Sam Rayburn / W. Averell Harriman [People's Patriotic]
1960: Lyndon Baines Johnson / W. Averell Harriman [People's Patriotic]
1964: Lyndon Baines Johnson / Joseph P. Kennedy Sr. [People's Patriotic]
1968: Price Daniel / Robert Ferdinand Wagner II [People's Patriotic]
1972: Price Daniel / Robert Ferdinand Wagner II [People's Patriotic]
1976: Margaret Heckler [1] / Strom Thurmond [People's Patriotic]

1980: James Earl Carter Jr. / Strom Thurmond [People's]
1984: James Earl Carter Jr. / Hugh Carey [People's]
1988: Hugh Carey / Walter Huddleston [People's]

1992: John Connally / William B. Saxbe [Constitutional Democrats]
1992: William B. Saxbe / (Vacant)

1996: Zell Miller [2] / Robert P. Casey [People's]
2000: David Petraeus / Newt Gingrich [Constitutional Democrats]
2001: Newt Gingrich / (vacant) [Constitutional Democrats]

2004: Stanley McChrystal / Howell Heflin [People's]
2004: Stanley McChrystal / (vacant)
2008: Hillary Rodham / John Bel Edwards [People's]

2012: John Kasich / William S. Cohen [Patriot]
2016: John Kasich / Tim Kaine [American Coalition]
2017: Tim Kaine / [American Coalition]

[1.] Went on to leave the People's Patriots to form a splinter faction, the Patriotic Union, which eventually merged with other factions into the Constitutional Democrats.
[2.] After failing to win reelection and losing favor in the People's Party, former President Miller would go on to join the short-lived Families First party.

Last edited:
@Cevolian

Where do the Radicals stand on workhouses and poor law in general?
They're in favour of reforming both, but there are some Radicals who see both as building character and forcing people to work hard for what they want, but want it to be more humane, whereas others who want to eliminate the system all together.

My first shot at an alt-president list:

1953-1953: Robert Taft/ Henry Cabot Lodge JR. (Republican)
1952: Adlai Stevenson/ John Sparkman (Democrat)

1953-1957: Henry Cabot Lodge JR./ Vacant

1957-1961: William Knowland/ Harold Stassen (Republican)

1956: W. Averell Harriman/ Estes Kefauver (Democrat)

1961-1969: Lyndon Johnson/ Hubert Humphrey (Democrat)

1960: William Knowland/ Harold Stassen (Republican)
1964: Richard Nixon/ Mark Hatfield (Republican)

1969-1973: Ronald Reagan/ Mark Hatfield (Republican)

1968: Hubert Humphrey/ James Allan (Democrat) Eugene McCarthy/ Pete McClosky (Peace and Unity)

1973-1981: Ted Kennedy/ Lloyd Bentsen (Democrat)
1972: Ronald Reagan/ Mark Hatfield (Republican)
1976: Charles Matthias/ George HW Bush(Republican)

1981-19xx: Bob Dole/ Howard Baker (Republican)
1980: Jerry Brown/ Geraldine Ferraro (Democrat) Marion Barry/ Jesse Jackson (Americans for Equality)

The basic idea is that Taft beats out Eisenhower for the nomination in '52 and manages to win the election, albeit by a smaller margin. Taft oversees the end of the Korean War on roughly the same terms as OTL, along with a rollback of some smaller New Deal programs, before dying of cancer in July 1953. Lodge, his VP, then takes over, and proceeds with a largely caretaker type administration. Notably, however, He does far less to counteract Joe McCarthy than Eisenhower. This, combined with conservatives feeling cheated by Taft's early death, leads McCarthy to primary Lodge in the 1956 election. McCarthy initially looks poised to win out, but is assassinated shortly before the convention. In his place, William Knowland is put forth as a candidate, and easily wins the convention and election.

Domestically, The Knowland administration sees the passage of the first federal civil rights act, along with the outlawing of the Communist Party and a greater rollback of New Deal programs. This trend towards rabid anti-Communism carries over to foreign affairs also, where Knowland ramps up support for French forces in Vietnam and the federal government of Cuba. This creates an even larger rift between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R.. This tension, pared with a minor economic downturn, sees the Democrats, led By Lyndon Johnson, swept into power in 1960.

The Johnson administration begins with a large focus on domestic affairs, with Johnson promising a "Great Society" built upon expanded welfare access and (with some poking and prodding from VP Humphrey) civil rights. This relative domestic bliss however, is offset by the official breakout of armed conflict in Vietnam between the Viet Cong and U.S. in 1963, which swiftly eats up Johnson's attention. Promising an end to the conflict by 1966, Johnson is re-elected in '64, only to fail to deliver on this promise. This creates rising tensions at home, as anti-war protesters team up with frustrated civil rights activists and anxious young adults to form The Peace and Unity Ticket in 1968. Backed by Anti-war Republicans and Democats, the Peace and Unity ticket siphons off enough support from the Democrats to hand the White House to Ronald Reagan that year.

The Reagan years prove to be some of the nations most challenging and polarizing. Despite bringing an end to the Vietnam War and strengthening the U.S. position against the Soviets, Reagan relied on increasingly harsh measures to quell chaos at home, leading to fierce criticism from all sides of the political spectrum. He later lost re-election to Massachusetts Governor Ted Kennedy.

From there, the timeline gets rather sketchy. I roughly imagined Kennedy as this sort of Bill Clinton-esque figure, with a moderate economic record and a tough on crime stance. The idea was that he would serve 2 successful terms before passing the torch to Jerry Brown in 1980, only to have civil rights activists split away from the party due to crime law frustration, handing the presidency back to Republicans.

Last edited:

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
@calvim Im hardly an expert on US presidents but I like the idea and it paints a good picture of a more dramatic post war America and seems pretty plausible :) (It is far far better than my first list on here back in 2011)

Welcome to the forum! :D

@calvim Im hardly an expert on US presidents but I like the idea and it paints a good picture of a more dramatic post war America and seems pretty plausible :) (It is far far better than my first list on here back in 2011)

Welcome to the forum! :D
Yes, it's way better than my first list, which was Harold Stassen being president forever.

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
Yes, it's way better than my first list, which was Harold Stassen being president forever.

Mine was Blair failing at getting a majority in the 1997 UK General election. leading to obligatory voting reform and a Lib-Lab coalition. I never explained how it happened, of course!
I didn't write a non future history President list until this year I think!

Mine was Blair failing at getting a majority in the 1997 UK General election. leading to obligatory voting reform and a Lib-Lab coalition. I never explained how it happened, of course!
I didn't write a non future history President list until this year I think!
I don't think I've made a serious list that doesn't have Evan McMullin in this thread

I agree with everyone, very very good for a first attempt and much better than mine own (which definitely doesn't exist anymore and can't be found in my index of collected works :eek:) but I do have a few minor quibbles.

Firstly there are some words randomly not capitalised which deifnitely should be, two for some reason Ted Kennedy gets a different colour to literally every other Democrat in the list, and three some of the nominees are a bit commonplace (which really isn't much of a big deal considering it's your first list, and at least it isn't literally just OTL Presidents and Vice Presidents...)

All in all, especially if you follow steps one and two in particular your lists will seem much better and probably get more attention (I often skip over lists if I see a lack of capitalisation or mismatched colours). But all in all a really interesting timeline and list, great work :D

I agree with everyone, very very good for a first attempt and much better than mine own (which definitely doesn't exist anymore and can't be found in my index of collected works :eek:) but I do have a few minor quibbles.

Firstly there are some words randomly not capitalised which deifnitely should be, two for some reason Ted Kennedy gets a different colour to literally every other Democrat in the list, and three some of the nominees are a bit commonplace (which really isn't much of a big deal considering it's your first list, and at least it isn't literally just OTL Presidents and Vice Presidents...)

All in all, especially if you follow steps one and two in particular your lists will seem much better and probably get more attention (I often skip over lists if I see a lack of capitalisation or mismatched colours). But all in all a really interesting timeline and list, great work :D

Thanks for the feedback! I'll go back and fix the editing mistakes asap. Any advice for broadening my horizons on historical figures?

Thanks for the feedback! I'll go back and fix the editing mistakes asap. Any advice for broadening my horizons on historical figures?
It's no problem :) happy to help!

And I'd say just read a lot of history, be that on Wikipedia or in books, you're far more likely to learn about a wealth of historical figures. Equally looking at downballot elections online can often help, if only to show you defeated candidates, as can lists of senators/governors/mayors or congresspeople.

It's no problem :) happy to help!

And I'd say just read a lot of history, be that on Wikipedia or in books, you're far more likely to learn about a wealth of historical figures. Equally looking at downballot elections online can often help, if only to show you defeated candidates, as can lists of senators/governors/mayors or congresspeople.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.