Kingdom-Building: A Valois-Bourgogne TL

Should I create a smallish chapter dedicated to the normal life of Burgundy or the Burgundian Court?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 1: The Birth of Philip IV of Burgundy
"Anne of Beaujeu, any good historian says she was the power behind the throne and the reason that the kingdom came to be, but we should not neglect the contributions of the three dukes who laid the foundations for the Burgundian Kingdom." -Josh Tucker (Side note: This man has a really good podcast about Burgundy 10/10 recommend) (This quote doesn't exist irl btw)

February 13 1457, Brussels, Brabant

"Push!" the midwife exclaimed as Charles looked on in worry as his wife's face turned completely sour in pain and exhaustion. Isabella gutturally screamed one last time as the baby was pushed out completely. The midwives immediately rushed in cutting the umbilical cord a couple seconds after and one of the nurses immediately took the child and washed him from the blood. Charles not giving a thought to his new born child rushed to Isabella's side and held her hand. "My wife, how are you feeling?" Charles asked in deep concern and sorrow written on his face. Isabella smiled, who knew that her marriage would bring such peace and joy? "I'm alright, my love and our child has been safely delivered." Charles kissed her forehead softly as the midwife came back with their child in her arms.

Isabella took hold of her child and breastfed him as the midwife smiled and exclaimed, "Congratulations, my lièges, you have a son and heir!" As soon as she uttered those words. A thunderclap was heard just outside even though the night sky was clear shocking everyone in the room. Looking at his son with pride and joy, "Philip, I shall call you Philip. May you fulfill your namesake and take after your grandfather and our progenitor, Philip the Bold."

A couple of weeks after, when the baptism began you could tell the absolute excitement of Philip the Good just on his face and actions only to be forced to tone it down by his wife Isabella of Portugal. Philip's godfather, the future Louis XI of France but just Louis of Dauphiné for now didn't seem to care as much as he talking quite seriously to the newborn's father, Charles. Louis was pushing for a marriage between the newborn and France. Charles was open to the idea but he didn't take it as seriously and remarked, "When you become king of France my dear cousin, we shall see to their marriage." followed by a short fit of laughter from Charles, after all Louis was exiled to Burgundy. The future king only showed the slightest amount of anger in his face before he went on to smile. "I will become king do not worry my cousin." he replied with ever a slight amount of anger in his voice. Something which Charles ignored but Isabella did not.

As the baptism finished the priest announced that god has accepted the newborn into the family of the church. Charles immediately took to the front and announced him as Philip, firstborn of Charles, Count of Charolais. The room filled with applause as both the mother and grandparents rushed to baby Philip. Eventually afterwards the family returned to Coudenburg. "Charles, my son I am very proud of you as you have sired a son and secured the succession even before my death. Well done. Have the boy go around Burgundy and our lands just as I have done to you and my father has done to me." Philip began to explain. Charles nodded, his father just like him knew that Burgundy would one day be a kingdom and just like any prince they would have to explore and understand the kingdom.

Semi-Canon: "I think I have a stomachache after that baptism, why is that?" Louis of Dauphiné remarked as he rushed to the toilet to barf. (Yes Philip will cause trouble to Louis XI and Charles VIII)

Last edited:
Character Study #1
So just my general thoughts on characters (adults btw not children cause can't spoil things too much)
Philip the Good: man was obsessed with stateship and rulership so right now, he's focusing his grandson as a political tool.
Charles the Bold: He genuinely loved his wife however he still is kinda like Philip so he loves his son as much as he does his wife but still wants to use him as a political tool.
Louis of Dauphiné (AKA, Louis the Spider): I wanted some more character depth in him rather than just evil genius mastermind and because this is during his exile, I thought it would be a good idea to use his exile as a plot device to make him feel resentful for his weak position.
Isabella of Bourbon: She is everyone's ideal mother, loves both her son and husband. I have a lot of ideas for her later on but I can't say anything yet.
Isabella of Portugal: By this point her marriage with Philip isn't that great anymore but she still holds incredible sway over him. She was also quite a good tutor/role model for Mary of Guelders so you'll definitely see her teaching Philip soon.

"Anne of Beaujeu, any good historian says she was the power behind the throne and the reason that the kingdom came to be, but we should not neglect the contributions of the three dukes who laid the foundations for the Burgundian Kingdom." -Josh Tucker (Side note: This man has a really good podcast about Burgundy 10/10 recommend) (This quote doesn't exist irl btw)

February 13 1457, Brussels, Brabant

"Push!" the midwife exclaimed as Charles looked on in worry as his wife's face turned completely sour in pain and exhaustion. Isabella gutturally screamed one last time as the baby was pushed out completely. The midwives immediately rushed in cutting the umbilical cord a couple seconds after and one of the nurses immediately took the child and washed him from the blood. Charles not giving a thought to his new born child rushed to Isabella's side and held her hand. "My wife, how are you feeling?" Charles asked in deep concern and sorrow written on his face. Isabella smiled, who knew that her marriage would bring such peace and joy? "I'm alright, my love and our child has been safely delivered." Charles kissed her forehead softly as the midwife came back with their child in her arms.

Isabella took hold of her child and breastfed him as the midwife smiled and exclaimed, "Congratulations, my lièges, you have a son and heir!" As soon as she uttered those words. A thunderclap was heard just outside even though the night sky was clear shocking everyone in the room. Looking at his son with pride and joy, "Philip, I shall call you Philip. May you fulfill your namesake and take after your grandfather and our progenitor, Philip the Bold."

A couple of weeks after, when the baptism began you could tell the absolute excitement of Philip the Good just on his face and actions only to be forced to tone it down by his wife Isabella of Portugal. Philip's godfather, the future Louis XI of France but just Louis of Dauphiné for now didn't seem to care as much as he talking quite seriously to the newborn's father, Charles. Louis was pushing for a marriage between the newborn and his youngest daughter Anne. Charles was open to the idea but he didn't take it as seriously and remarked, "When you become king of France my dear cousin, we shall see to their marriage." followed by a short fit of laughter from Charles, after all Louis was exiled to Burgundy. The future king only showed the slightest amount of anger in his face before he went on to smile. "I will become king do not worry my cousin." he replied with ever a slight amount of anger in his voice. Something which Charles ignored but Isabella did not.

As the baptism finished the priest announced that god has accepted the newborn into the family of the church. Charles immediately took to the front and announced him as Philip, firstborn of Charles, Count of Charolais. The room filled with applause as both the mother and grandparents rushed to baby Philip. Eventually afterwards the family returned to Coudenburg. "Charles, my son I am very proud of you as you have sired a son and secured the succession even before my death. Well done. Have the boy go around Burgundy and our lands just as I have done to you and my father has done to me." Philip began to explain. Charles nodded, his father just like him knew that Burgundy would one day be a kingdom and just like any prince they would have to explore and understand the kingdom.

Semi-Canon: "I think I have a stomachache after that baptism, why is that?" Louis of Dauphiné remarked as he rushed to the toilet to barf. (Yes Philip will cause trouble to Louis XI and Charles VIII)

I love it! I cant wait for more!

I love Anne of France and there are very few TL's about her, but I cant wait to see where this goes.

Here are just some teasers: Philip IV will very much follow in his progenitors footsteps (Philip the Bold) not necessarily his grandfathers. There will be a Regent of France who also is duchess (Read: Queen) of Burgundy. It couldn't possibly be Anne right?

Here are just some teasers: Philip IV will very much follow in his progenitors footsteps (Philip the Bold) not necessarily his grandfathers. There will be a Regent of France who also is duchess (Read: Queen) of Burgundy. It couldn't possibly be Anne right?
read! love it

Great start! I'm really happy to see this scenario and I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

Just some small things.
Anne of Beaujeu, any good historian says she was the power behind the throne
She got that title by marriage to Peter as the fief of Beaujeu were given to him on the order of Louis XI. So she would be known just as Anne of France in this story.
There will be a Regent of France who also is duchess (Read: Queen) of Burgundy. It couldn't possibly be Anne right?
Would the Duchess of Burgundy really become regent of France in this scenario?

Great start! I'm really happy to see this scenario and I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

Just some small things.

She got that title by marriage to Peter as the fief of Beaujeu were given to him on the order of Louis XI. So she would be known just as Anne of France in this story.

Would the Duchess of Burgundy really become regent of France in this scenario?
Beaujeu was in between Burgundy and Bourbon so Louis could still give it to Anne after all, if it ain't broke why fix it?
Anne was brilliant in her own right and Louis' genius would bite him back in the arse. (I love French medieval nobility and its rules, it's so much fun to play with.)

Beaujeu was in between Burgundy and Bourbon so Louis could still give it to Anne after all, if it ain't broke why fix it?
Anne was brilliant in her own right and Louis' genius would bite him back in the arse. (I love French medieval nobility and its rules, it's so much fun to play with.)
Because Lord of Beaujeu were a title given to Peter as a Bourbon fief as he became Duke of Bourbon. Not a title granted to her independently.
And as Duchess of Burgundy, I'm not so sure the estates general of France would accept her as easily. It would make it easier for her enemies to paint her as someone bringing foreign influence to France.

Because Lord of Beaujeu were a title given to Peter as a Bourbon fief as he became Duke of Bourbon. Not a title granted to her independently.
And as Duchess of Burgundy, I'm not so sure the estates general of France would accept her as easily. It would make it easier for her enemies to paint her as someone bringing foreign influence to France.
Perhaps the Spider can give Beaujeau to Philip as a Valois-Burgundian fief, or even as a dowry for Anne.

Well, this is going to be such fun. hahahahahahahhahaha

Chapter 2: The rise of the Spider King.
"Louis XI of France was a genius when it came to ruling a kingdom. His political machinations and genius in maneuvering in France was brilliant and left France in an incredibly powerful state one which will not be seen again until the Thirty years war. How unfortunate that his daughter, Anne would undo all of his work with his death. The only fault I would have over him was that his heir was underage." -Richard Vaughan (His novels about Burgundy are helpful very good source but I'm poor and don't have them LOL)

July 22 1461, Bourges, France

"Duke of Berry." The doctor solemnly announced. "Is my father alright?" Charles asked in desperation. "The king...." He continued, "Is dead." he solemnly stated. "I must rush to Reims, I am the Dauphin now, Louis was banished and exiled from court. Prepare my horse." Charles immediately demanded. When he was in his horse he began to gallop accompanied by only a handful of knights as he rushed to Reims. Unfortunately for him, Louis was already there in front of the archbishop and surrounded by Burgundian soldiers.

As he knelt in front of the Archbishop, the crown of France was placed on his head. As he looked on, in front of his subjects. He proclaimed, "The king is dead. Long live King Louis XI of France." The entire room knelt along with the Burgundian knights. Louis immediately rushed to Paris and began arresting his father's advisors in order to consolidate his power. Charles, arrived in Paris shortly afterwards hearing his brother's coronation. He decided to play it safe and knelt in front of his brother as Duke of Berry. Louis smiled as he began to finish what his father started and began to centralize his vast realm.

"WE MUST GO ON A CRUSADE AGAINST THE BLASTED TURKS!" Philip yelled at his son. Charles and Philip were arguing over a crusade against the Turks. Philip believed that the crusade would bring greater glory and money and the selling of the towns along the somme would be worth it. "You and I both have studied history, the age of crusading is over, father we must focus on our primary goal, the creation of a Burgundian Kingdom." Charles attacked back. "I am a warrior perhaps even more than you and I know that crusading will do nothing except waste money and men." Philip was starting to counter but then a small child walked in. "Grandpapa, dad what are you two yelling about? It's really loud." A 5-year old Philip asked with tears in his eyes. Charles immediately rushed to his son's side and picked him up for a hug. "Dad and Grandpapa are deciding if we should go somewhere." Charles replied softly and began to rock him. "Can you two not go? I want you two to stay here." Philip pleaded. Philip the good began to soften as he looked at his grandchild's face. "Very well, I admit you are correct my son, but you better start pushing for those steps in that kingdom we both desire because right now, it looks like you are doing nothing except twiddle your thumbs." Philip stated before promptly leaving the room.

Charles began to think, now that his cousin was on the throne. Was it not time to fulfill that promise they had 5 years ago? He began to write to Louis XI of France, he finished the letter quickly and began to travel to Paris. Louis was sitting on his throne as his new cadre of advisors continued his vision and goals. The nobles were still very discontent especially the dukes of Bourbon and Brittany. He was already concerned as his brother was in Berry at the moment and his spies informed him that he was contacting the nobility. Suddenly, Charles, count of Charolais asked to be granted entry. He was intrigued after all it has been only a couple of months since he was last in Burgundy what could possibly have the heir come to his doorstep. He acknowledged Charles as Charles knelt and paid homage to him on behalf of himself and his father. He rose, "My king. I ask that we begin negotiations on the betrothal contract between my son and your daughter." Louis smiled, he would play one side off with the other a pittance for a lion's share is that not good enough for a king?

Teaser: He demanded the complete independence of the Duchy of Burgundy in exchange for his assistance. Louis could not accept that and came up with a clever idea.

Last edited: