Illustration Tutorials and Advice Superthread

zalezsky

Kicked
Hey guys, maybe you can help me out. Last night I saved a map of Korea that was rather advanced and now I can't access it, it says the computer cannot load the file. So I was wondering if you could help me out in seeing if its possible to access it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18656480/united korea map.svg Also, here it is, perhaps you can access it from your computers and it's something that has to do with my Inkscape. Let me know.
I've looked into it on google and a few of the inkscape forums. Seems to be an issue with Inkscape and how it "he problem is however in filters, not with the file, actually"
at least apparently. Can't seem to find a fix. Can you send me the direct file in a rar file? I can try to fiddle with it and see what the issue is. Every time I click on the dropbox it doesn't let me properly access it.
Thanks!
I'll try my best to fix it

I think that was the base map for North Korea, perhaps because it's a gif? But so was the one for South Korea... Btw Reagent I'm gonna send you a PM some time soon because I kind of want to go back to the idea of the *Spain that included Portugal, but I might first do like a map of Angola/Mozambique and you're the expert on that :p

I think that was the base map for North Korea, perhaps because it's a gif? But so was the one for South Korea... Btw Reagent I'm gonna send you a PM some time soon because I kind of want to go back to the idea of the *Spain that included Portugal, but I might first do like a map of Angola/Mozambique and you're the expert on that :p
I've got nothing going on today, so feel free to send it as soon as you can.

I don't use GIMP, but I might be able to help. What kind of effect are you trying to achieve? Do you have an example?
Thank you very much.
My goal is the map of a continent with top down mountains and large forests. Over that, I want to place several layers to show the borders of the continent during different ages.
I just found this tutorial ( http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2012/01/a-week-of-mapping-tips/ ) and want to try to adapt it to GIMP in the next time.
I want to post two/three examples (of my own cartography) soon, but I am to tired/stressed at the moment.

Thank you very much.
My goal is the map of a continent with top down mountains and large forests. Over that, I want to place several layers to show the borders of the continent during different ages.
I just found this tutorial ( http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2012/01/a-week-of-mapping-tips/ ) and want to try to adapt it to GIMP in the next time.
I want to post two/three examples (of my own cartography) soon, but I am to tired/stressed at the moment.
Ah, I see. I've never drawn mountains that way myself, but I'll try to help where I can! What kind of advice do you need?

Ah, I see. I've never drawn mountains that way myself, but I'll try to help where I can! What kind of advice do you need?
Thank you.
At the moment, I don't have one or another problem. I want to know several techniques and tips to create top-down mountains.
This is an example of my old simple map making style. Now I want to create in the next time a new better map, and I think, that more realistic top-down mountains could improve it.

Hi! Levi here.
I've done hand drawn city maps for a while now. But how do I make a computer map like everyone else does?
P.S. Who would want to see a thread where I post hand drawn maps?

I'm working on an AH/fantasy project (currently elsewhere on the net though I've discussed it with a few members here) for which I want to make maps of a fictional European/Atlantic country, situated in the eastern Atlantic off the coasts of Great Britain/France, and its capital city. What are the best map-generator sites/software for the purpose? I don't want to get really detailed at this point - major cities/points of interest, geographical features, transport lines, etc. are sufficient.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/attachments/reflectionworldfinal-png.304452/

I see this style of map being used a lot. Is there a specific program that is used for this? I'm curious
Just MS Paint as far as I know. The basemap used for that kind of map is called the Worlda basemap, and I believe there's a bunch of OTL maps in that style on the AH.com wiki. If you need a Worlda basemap of a certain date you can try asking in the OTL maps thread.

Hi! Levi here.
I've done hand drawn city maps for a while now. But how do I make a computer map like everyone else does?
P.S. Who would want to see a thread where I post hand drawn maps?
Sorry for missing this post. There are a number of ways of making maps digitally, the most common being using MS Paint, but there are a number of tutorials for more advanced digital cartography in the OP too. :)