Illustration Tutorials and Advice Superthread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Krall, Jun 18, 2013.

1. zalezsky A Slavic Swine

I've looked into it on google and a few of the inkscape forums. Seems to be an issue with Inkscape and how it "he problem is however in filters, not with the file, actually"
    at least apparently. Can't seem to find a fix. Can you send me the direct file in a rar file? I can try to fiddle with it and see what the issue is. Every time I click on the dropbox it doesn't let me properly access it.
    Thanks!
    I'll try my best to fix it

Ddmkm122, Nanwe and Upvoteanthology like this.
  2. Nanwe Socioliberal guay

Ddmkm122 and Upvoteanthology like this.
  3. zalezsky A Slavic Swine

looking great so far! and hopefully you don't get the same error again

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Reagent Cartography's Reactionary

I wish I had saw this earlier.

I manage to render this (though I had this weird black box thing that wouldn't go away off screen):
    [​IMG]

5. Nanwe Socioliberal guay

I think that was the base map for North Korea, perhaps because it's a gif? But so was the one for South Korea... Btw Reagent I'm gonna send you a PM some time soon because I kind of want to go back to the idea of the *Spain that included Portugal, but I might first do like a map of Angola/Mozambique and you're the expert on that :p

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. Reagent Cartography's Reactionary

I've got nothing going on today, so feel free to send it as soon as you can.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. Zurirach Adankar Well-Known Member

Hello map-makers of AH.com.
    I need advice in creating realistic top-down mountains for fantasy maps in GIMP with a normal Laptop.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. Levi Fox Waiting for the apocalypse

Help me! Whenever I make a thread, it dies after 3 comments!

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. Krall The Divine Chorus

I don't use GIMP, but I might be able to help. What kind of effect are you trying to achieve? Do you have an example?

Ddmkm122 and Zurirach Adankar like this.
  10. Zurirach Adankar Well-Known Member

Thank you very much.
    My goal is the map of a continent with top down mountains and large forests. Over that, I want to place several layers to show the borders of the continent during different ages.
    I just found this tutorial ( http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2012/01/a-week-of-mapping-tips/ ) and want to try to adapt it to GIMP in the next time.
    I want to post two/three examples (of my own cartography) soon, but I am to tired/stressed at the moment.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. Krall The Divine Chorus

Ah, I see. I've never drawn mountains that way myself, but I'll try to help where I can! What kind of advice do you need?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. Zurirach Adankar Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    At the moment, I don't have one or another problem. I want to know several techniques and tips to create top-down mountains.
    This is an example of my old simple map making style. Now I want to create in the next time a new better map, and I think, that more realistic top-down mountains could improve it.

[​IMG]

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. Levi Fox Waiting for the apocalypse

Hi! Levi here.
    I've done hand drawn city maps for a while now. But how do I make a computer map like everyone else does?
    P.S. Who would want to see a thread where I post hand drawn maps?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. Krall The Divine Chorus

I'm occasionally present and apparently the new board software means that I can edit that post now, so I'll update it quickly now. :)

Ddmkm122 and Petike like this.
  16. joea64 Unabashed Edwardian Era fanboy

I'm working on an AH/fantasy project (currently elsewhere on the net though I've discussed it with a few members here) for which I want to make maps of a fictional European/Atlantic country, situated in the eastern Atlantic off the coasts of Great Britain/France, and its capital city. What are the best map-generator sites/software for the purpose? I don't want to get really detailed at this point - major cities/points of interest, geographical features, transport lines, etc. are sufficient.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  17. machinekng We Will Prevail

Ddmkm122, ToixStory and Miner like this.
  18. Krall The Divine Chorus

I've added your tut to the OP. Thanks for posting it! :)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. Ratmancampidori #TeamGaemon

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  20. Krall The Divine Chorus

Just MS Paint as far as I know. The basemap used for that kind of map is called the Worlda basemap, and I believe there's a bunch of OTL maps in that style on the AH.com wiki. If you need a Worlda basemap of a certain date you can try asking in the OTL maps thread.

Sorry for missing this post. There are a number of ways of making maps digitally, the most common being using MS Paint, but there are a number of tutorials for more advanced digital cartography in the OP too. :)

Ddmkm122 likes this.