Illustration Tutorials and Advice Superthread

I don't use GIMP, but I might be able to help. What kind of effect are you trying to achieve? Do you have an example?
Thank you very much.
My goal is the map of a continent with top down mountains and large forests. Over that, I want to place several layers to show the borders of the continent during different ages.
I just found this tutorial ( http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2012/01/a-week-of-mapping-tips/ ) and want to try to adapt it to GIMP in the next time.
I want to post two/three examples (of my own cartography) soon, but I am to tired/stressed at the moment.

Krall

Banned
Thank you very much.
My goal is the map of a continent with top down mountains and large forests. Over that, I want to place several layers to show the borders of the continent during different ages.
I just found this tutorial ( http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2012/01/a-week-of-mapping-tips/ ) and want to try to adapt it to GIMP in the next time.
I want to post two/three examples (of my own cartography) soon, but I am to tired/stressed at the moment.
Ah, I see. I've never drawn mountains that way myself, but I'll try to help where I can! What kind of advice do you need?

Ah, I see. I've never drawn mountains that way myself, but I'll try to help where I can! What kind of advice do you need?

Thank you.
At the moment, I don't have one or another problem. I want to know several techniques and tips to create top-down mountains.
This is an example of my old simple map making style. Now I want to create in the next time a new better map, and I think, that more realistic top-down mountains could improve it.

l2ot1j5.jpg

Hi! Levi here.
I've done hand drawn city maps for a while now. But how do I make a computer map like everyone else does?
P.S. Who would want to see a thread where I post hand drawn maps?

I'm working on an AH/fantasy project (currently elsewhere on the net though I've discussed it with a few members here) for which I want to make maps of a fictional European/Atlantic country, situated in the eastern Atlantic off the coasts of Great Britain/France, and its capital city. What are the best map-generator sites/software for the purpose? I don't want to get really detailed at this point - major cities/points of interest, geographical features, transport lines, etc. are sufficient.

Krall

Banned
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/attachments/reflectionworldfinal-png.304452/

I see this style of map being used a lot. Is there a specific program that is used for this? I'm curious

Just MS Paint as far as I know. The basemap used for that kind of map is called the Worlda basemap, and I believe there's a bunch of OTL maps in that style on the AH.com wiki. If you need a Worlda basemap of a certain date you can try asking in the OTL maps thread.

Hi! Levi here.
I've done hand drawn city maps for a while now. But how do I make a computer map like everyone else does?
P.S. Who would want to see a thread where I post hand drawn maps?

Sorry for missing this post. There are a number of ways of making maps digitally, the most common being using MS Paint, but there are a number of tutorials for more advanced digital cartography in the OP too. :)

Here's a HORRIBLE tutorial that I made for Arminius since he didn't understand how to colour in regions. Made within 10 minutes but I think it conveys the concept.

4AyMRDC.png

Krall

Banned
Any tutorials on how to go about depicting mountain ranges/ relief maps in Inkscape?

Well if you're looking to do something like this you can just trace the contour lines from a relief map. If you're looking to do more detailed/shaded mountains, then I'm afraid I don't know how you'd do that in Inkscape.