Illustration Tutorials and Advice Superthread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Krall, Jun 18, 2013.

1. zalezsky A Slavic Swine

Here's a HORRIBLE tutorial that I made for Arminius since he didn't understand how to colour in regions. Made within 10 minutes but I think it conveys the concept.

[​IMG]

AltruisticHedonist and Enmergal like this.
  2. Arminius1871 Just a Bavarian

And I am very thankful for u help my dearest Zalezsky :D

Until now I worked with Photoshop, and if you want you could add my tutorials for a historical map in Photoshop:

Tutorial on Deviantart: http://arminius1871.deviantart.com/art/Historical-Map-Tutorial-for-Photoshop-621654923
    Tutorial on Youtube:

I saw that you also talk about planets and space, so you could also include those tutorials:

Youtube Video Tutorials:
    Planet:

Ring System:

Ddmkm122, ToixStory and zalezsky like this.
  3. jtheoengel Well-Known Member

In QGIS, is there any way to make the borders not anti-aliased like in ArcGIS?

4. Flashman A Real Go-Getter

Any tutorials on how to go about depicting mountain ranges/ relief maps in Inkscape?

5. Krall The Divine Chorus

Well if you're looking to do something like this you can just trace the contour lines from a relief map. If you're looking to do more detailed/shaded mountains, then I'm afraid I don't know how you'd do that in Inkscape.

6. Flashman A Real Go-Getter

What about paint.net?

7. Krall The Divine Chorus

I don't know how to do it in Paint.NET, but I believe there is a way. I'll dig about and see if I can find a tutorial for it.

8. Krall The Divine Chorus

I can't find a mountain tutorial for Paint.NET I'm afraid. I do have this tutorial that I've had saved as a bookmark for ages but have never tried out, but I believe it's for Photoshop and so may not work perfectly.

9. Flashman A Real Go-Getter

In my incredibly limited experience, paint.NET seems like just a pared down version of photoshop. Thanks!

10. Arminius1871 Just a Bavarian

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. CtrlAltHistory Please, call me Control.

Nice tutorial! But, how do you color in separate countries on a map without using that horrible fill tool? I've tried to figure out how to make separate countries their own shapes, but with ones on the coastline, this is... hard. The one way I've been able to think to do it is to draw your border as normal and then do the same thing you do to make the land's fill in your tutorial except without the clip. Then, make a new layer and color over the part of the shape that is in the water with the draw tool.

I know there's a better way to do it, any suggestions?

12. Krall The Divine Chorus

I'm a bit tired, so it's difficult for me to figure out the exact thing you're trying to do and exactly what to do to achieve it, but I think the tools you are missing are the "paste in place" command (under the Edit menu, or Ctrl + Alt + V) and boolean functions, specifically Difference and Intersection, under the Path menu. I'm pretty sure I've explained this to people before so I should have some images I made to demonstrate it to them, let me check.

Okay these'll work.

[​IMG]

Okay, you got your sea and you got your land shape. You want to make a country shape with its boundaries being said country's land borders and coastline. What do? Well, draw the country's land borders and then connect them up around the coast, so that the overlap between the country shape and the land shape is the exact shape of the country, like this:

[​IMG]

What you do now is copy the land shape and press Ctrl + Alt + V to paste it in the exact same position as the original. Now select that land-shape-copy and your country shape, then go to the Path menu and select "Intersection". This will remove the two shapes and give you a shape of the overlap between them, like this:

[​IMG]

Ta-da! A country shape whose boundaries are said country's land borders and coastline. One issue you might have now is that the country-shape is on top of the land-shape, so the country's borders will show up over the coastline, like how the red line is showing up over the black coastline in that image. In order to solve that I copy the land-shape, paste it in place on top of everything, and then remove the fill, so you have a shape that's just the coastline on top of everything else.

But yeah, hopefully that helps. The paste in place function and the boolean functions are really useful and versatile - I use them a loooot when making anything in Inkscape - so I'd advise you to play around with them a bit to see how they work and what they do. And if you need any further help, just ask. :)

CtrlAltHistory likes this.
  13. CtrlAltHistory Please, call me Control.

Thank you so much! Really helpful! What I had (rather embarrassingly) been doing was the same thing, except instead of all the intersection and cutting and copying I was literally drawing over the part of the country in the ocean. This works much better. :biggrin:

14. Krall The Divine Chorus

No problem! I remember when I was starting out with Inkscape there were a bunch of inefficient methods like that I used to achieve effects that I can do now with speed and ease. :p

CtrlAltHistory likes this.
  15. zalezsky A Slavic Swine

You've actually taught me a much better method here... I was cutting the coast and pasting it in then merging the border of the nation with the coastal path to make a single object

16. Krall The Divine Chorus

Heh, that's actually the method I used to use. :p

zalezsky likes this.
  17. CtrlAltHistory Please, call me Control.

Hey, I've been trying to use this method, but there are a few problems.

First of all, I have a coastline, a coastline with land fill, my sea, and my nation borders all in different layers, so I don't know if that interferes. But the issue I'm getting is that I'll duplicate the coastline and then select both the coastline and the nation borders and, most of the time, nothing will happen when I select Intersection, or almost any of the Boolean functions for that matter. And when something does happen, it's never the neat little nation borders I wanted. A bit frustrating. Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

18. Krall The Divine Chorus

I never use layers myself, so I'm guessing that's interfering with it. Also note that both the nation borders and coastline should be closed shapes with no gaps, and that you can only do most Boolean Functions with 2 shapes - so if you're selecting multiple nations' borders as well as the coastline, that won't work.

Sean and CtrlAltHistory like this.
  19. CtrlAltHistory Please, call me Control.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it like that then! I'm doing everything else right, so it must be the layers.

20. Enmergal Well-Known Member

I've just checked this out and looks like all the functions work perfect with the paths being placed in different layers, so I doubt it interferes.