Illustration Tutorials and Advice Superthread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Krall, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Krall The Divine Chorus

I just tried it quickly myself and it does seem like it works fine with the two shapes on different layers. So, uh, I have no idea what's going wrong.

Any chance you could upload the SVG you're working on, CtrlAltHistory?

CtrlAltHistory likes this.
  2. CtrlAltHistory Please, call me Control.

No clue how to upload an SVG. They don't show up when using the Upload a File button, and they don't have a URL, so....

3. Enmergal Well-Known Member

For example, you could use any image hosting that supports vector graphics. This is what Google suggests me.

Krall likes this.
  4. CtrlAltHistory Please, call me Control.

Thanks! Here is is, @Krall : http://svgshare.com/i/2XU.svg That's a direct link, I don't know if you can download it from there.

5. Enmergal Well-Known Member

'One of the objects is not a path, cannot perform boolean operation'. Try ungrouping objects that your landmass consist of and then combine them into one path by pressing Ctrl+K or the Combine button in the Path submenu. This worked for me.

UPD. And don't forget to put the paths in the right order—the path that is being modified must go under the second one. So you can simply select the landmass, press Ctrl+C for copying it, then select the object that is supposed to become a nation, press Ctrl+Shift+V to paste the copy landmass into the same layer with it (now it is under the copy of landmass), then select the nation one more time and finally press Ctrl+Shift+8 to intersect your paths.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Sean, Krall and CtrlAltHistory like this.
  6. CtrlAltHistory Please, call me Control.

Thanks so much! You've been a big help. :)

Sean likes this.
  7. Krall The Divine Chorus

Ah, thanks for sorting that one out @Enmergal. :p

Sean likes this.
  8. Drizzly Mary Ordinary Magician

Gensokyo ASR,Union of Pocketverse SocReps
    Sorry,any general advice on Paint.NET?Esp. coloring state borders.

9. Krall The Divine Chorus

I'm afraid I mostly use Paint.NET for adding some effects that aren't possible or easy in Inkscape, so I don't have any general advice for using it. If you have a specific problem or effect you're trying to achieve though I can try and figure it out for you, if you like. :)

Sean and Drizzly Mary like this.