Hope, Change, and Nutmeg - A US political timeline

I was wondering about Specter, since you mentioned another Republican was running for the seat in 2010.

The 111th had bad press with a good agenda IOTL, and they have what sounds like equally bad press with an even better agenda ITTL; that seems like a net improvement to me. What's more, I keep focusing on the kind of opposition forming in the GOP camp. It's of a much more moderate character then IOTL. This is still potentially bad news for the Democrats electorally, but good news for the country if the GOP isn't so bogged down in...well, I won't get too partisan in my descriptions of what I think of them IOTL.:p

And about the voter ID cards, I look forward to see how that develops. Another potential outcome is that any "bungling" is just not noticed beyond the segment of the media that talks about under-served communities. It might not get noticed at all by the public at-large.

Proof of residency would probably be the next big fight. People with voter ID but no proof of residency would still get turned away (as a DC resident, I understand probably better than most why this is necessary; it's the only thing stopping me from hopping across the river to vote in a jurisdiction that matters!)

The carbon tax is really interesting! Money in the pocket should make this impossible to kill. I know it's not good to make generalizations about public opinion on TTL, but I'm pretty comfortable with that one.:p

4.14 - Alt-Onion vignette
This mini-update is heavily based off this OTL Onion article, while reflecting changes in the tone and scope of political dialogue and opposition in this TL.

onion_mainbanner_1.jpg

The Onion:
Republicans United Against Obama-Backed Bill That Would Divert Asteroid Headed For Earth

In a strong rebuke of President Obama and his domestic agenda, all 130 House Republicans, supported by many other Republican officeholders and former colleagues, announced at a press conference Wednesday their staunch opposition to the Asteroid Diversion and American Preservation Act, proposed by President Obama to divert the course of the immense asteroid currently hurtling toward Earth.

The $420 billion legislation, which would send a dozen solar-powered laser satellites to divert the course of the massive asteroid via laser ablation before it strikes the planet[1], would affect more than 300 million Americans and is strongly opposed by the GOP.

"Obama's plan is more religion than actual science", former Rep. Steve King (R-IA) said at the press conference. "Democrats are fear-mongering about this supposed asteroid as part of their big-government plan to take away our fundamental freedom. Have you even seen this supposed giant space rock they claim is heading our way?" [2]

Other Republicans appeared to acknowledge the existence of the asteroid, but disagree on the solution. "There is no reason why this asteroid is our responsibility", declared Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX.) "All evidence indicates - even the most liberal of scientists admit - that this is only a natural asteroid cycle, of the sort that comes around every couple of million years. We had nothing to do with this asteroid; our planet has experienced these natural asteroid cycles before, and it will continue to experience them no matter what we do."

"Furthermore,", Smith continued, "there is a great deal of uncertainty over how asteroids have affected our planet in the past, and how this one will affect us in the future. I thus call upon the President to reject the unscientific hyperbolic fear-mongering claims he has made, and conduct a true cost-benefit analysis. We must properly consider the benefits of having a massive space rock collide with the planet, instead of a one-sided biased analysis that focuses only on the costs." [2]

On the other side of the spectrum, religious conservatives appear to be rallying behind the banner of former Senator Jim Inhofe, who recently declared that "Democratic claims reveal their sheer arrogance. The hoax here is their arrogant belief that they are so powerful that they can change the heavens above. Man does not have that power."

"My point", Inhofe continued, "is that God's still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the heavens is to me outrageous. This asteroid must be part of God's plan, and we must accept it." [2]

[1] This is an actual possible asteroid diversion technique.
[2] These specific quotes are, of course, fictional and written by yours truly. They are, however, to some extent based off of actual OTL comments made by the politicians in question about a different topic.

Last edited:
Damn. You've made the GOP more bellicose than OTL. There's always a trade-off. When the TL resumes, things are gonna be exciting.

Last edited:
Damn. You've made the GOP more bellicose than OTL. There's always a trade-off. When the TL resumes, things are gonna be exciting.

Just to clarify the main messages I actually wanted to get across to readers with this parody update:

- The main hot-button issue with conservatives ends up becoming the carbon tax ITTL (as opposed to Obamacare IOTL.) The political comments in the alt-Onion article are clearly modeled after climate change. ("This is just a natural asteroid cycle!") The Inhofe quote, for instance, is a slightly edited version of a real-life quote he gave on climate change. As I pointed out, the wide breadth of the carbon tax is such that everyone will be hit to some degree or not, and the fact that meat and animal products are significantly taxed raises anger over the perception of social engineering. Very few of the country is vegetarian or vegan, and the perception that the government is coming for even your meat is politically toxic in large swaths of the nation.

- Republicans are actually more divided than IOTL, with differing opinions in the party regarding the carbon tax. (In the real life of TTL, some Republicans do support it - e.g. Bob Inglis.)

- The main extremist voices in the party now are actually former politicians defeated for re-election (Steve King, Jim Inhofe.) So there's a significantly larger dichotomy between far-right insurgents and more conventional establishment Republicans ITTL. There aren't many potential Freedom and Prosperity Party leaders in Congress.

In conclusion, I guess that though it's fun to write alt-Onion articles, it's a lot harder than I expected to use them to get across significant changes from OTL. Good to know for future reference.

Last edited:
The main hot-button issue with conservatives ends up becoming the carbon tax ITTL (as opposed to Obamacare IOTL.) The political comments in the alt-Onion article are clearly modeled after climate change. ("This is just a natural asteroid cycle!") The Inhofe quote, for instance, is a slightly edited version of a real-life quote he gave on climate change. As I pointed out, the wide breadth of the carbon tax is such that everyone will be hit to some degree or not, and the fact that meat and animal products are significantly taxed raises anger over the perception of social engineering. Very few of the country is vegetarian or vegan, and the perception that the government is coming for even your meat is politically toxic in large swaths of the nation.

I wonder why cap and trade wasn't done ITTL (Not that I oppose a carbon tax by the way). Is it because with the larger majority and greater apathy toward the GOP, the Democrats feel they can do something bigger?

Last edited:
In conclusion, I guess that though it's fun to write alt-Onion articles, it's a lot harder than I expected to use them to get across significant changes from OTL. Good to know for future reference.

No, i believe you got your points across perfectly fine. :p

Though admittedly it's not just the onion article, but the fact that many of your latest teasers have dealt with the carbon tax and backlash to it. It does make some logical sense after all, healthcare reform is complicated and ATL has good branding and a sudden death to piggyback on, the carbon tax really doesn't have any of that. Still a smart move on the Dems part to make it a rebate, but people are still going to see a 'tax' and a directly applicable rise in food prices. I see parallels to Australia's dealing with the Carbon Tax in this, but perhaps rather than being repealed it'll instead be given some exemptions for agricultural products.

Last edited:

Yes, agreed.;)

Looking at the math a bit, are people really that upset about the food prices? I understand most anger about taxes is theoretical, but I've never seen people monitor food the way they monitor gas, for example. What's the average person spending increase look like for the year? 10-20 bucks for meat? How much mileage can they get out of that? The most red-blooded conservative eating two pounds of steak a day, every day, wouldn't even crack $50.

Fuel seems a more likely culture war target, since people already seem to watch gas station price boards like hawks. I wonder if it's enough to affect the ride-hailing business model? The margins are already pretty thin there.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me in the Turtledoves again. I quite honestly was expecting to lose to Meadow from the start, but thanks for keeping it close; I didn't realize I had so many readers :)

Legitimately the GOP does have rather a lot to feel outraged about... the incredibly large stimulus bill, healthcare reform, the carbon tax, and probably a whole host of different measures like financial reform or the dream act which have outraged their conservative base. The biggest question is if the outrage is gaining traction with the general electorate. The Republicans probably have more blame for the economy this time around, and there's so much to be outraged about they risk muddling their message, but ultimately if it looks like the democrats have focused more on passing their liberal agenda than helping the average joe, they'll face serious losses.
The general electorate is mostly concerned about the economy, as always; the rest matters more to the extent of the perception of a Democratic congress focusing on their pet issues to the exclusion of helping people. At least at the start of 2010.

In that regard the carbon tax is at least less hurtful than it otherwise might of been. I personally would have preferred the money be annually invested in green energy or mass transit, but an annual tax rebate is much more politically useful. :p

From a purely economic perspective, if the intent of pushing green energy and mass transit is focused purely upon decreasing CO2 emissions, then a properly priced carbon tax would already have achieve that effect, whereas green energy investment would effectively be picking winners and losers among the alternatives. (E.g. the OTL heavy pushing of ethanol for political reasons.)

I was wondering about Specter, since you mentioned another Republican was running for the seat in 2010.
Specter's cancer was discovered and diagnosed as fatal much earlier ITTL, resulting in his move leftward and decision to retire rather than fight it out.

The 111th had bad press with a good agenda IOTL, and they have what sounds like equally bad press with an even better agenda ITTL; that seems like a net improvement to me. What's more, I keep focusing on the kind of opposition forming in the GOP camp. It's of a much more moderate character then IOTL. This is still potentially bad news for the Democrats electorally, but good news for the country if the GOP isn't so bogged down in...well, I won't get too partisan in my descriptions of what I think of them IOTL.:p

And about the voter ID cards, I look forward to see how that develops. Another potential outcome is that any "bungling" is just not noticed beyond the segment of the media that talks about under-served communities. It might not get noticed at all by the public at-large.
Very true. The issue of going with a media-driven narrative (as I've been doing), of course, is that happenings behind the scenes are a lot more difficult to convey or assess.

Proof of residency would probably be the next big fight. People with voter ID but no proof of residency would still get turned away (as a DC resident, I understand probably better than most why this is necessary; it's the only thing stopping me from hopping across the river to vote in a jurisdiction that matters!)

The carbon tax is really interesting! Money in the pocket should make this impossible to kill. I know it's not good to make generalizations about public opinion on TTL, but I'm pretty comfortable with that one.:p

At the same time, the rapid speed of legislation has made it hard for citizens to be properly educated on each specific piece. When people think of a carbon tax, they usually think of fossil fuels, and it's not widely known how much agriculture actually does contribute to equivalent CO2 emissions, and so the connection isn't completely obvious, despite attempts at education.

It's the same reason why ITTL certain Republicans are proposing that the carbon tax should be repealed, but the yearly tax credits should be kept (rather defeating the purpose of the whole thing.)

I wonder why cap and trade wasn't done ITTL (Not that I oppose a carbon tax by the way). Is it because with the larger majority and greater apathy toward the GOP, the Democrats feel they can do something bigger?

It's a common misperception that carbon taxes is somehow 'bigger' than cap and trade. Both are viable solutions in general to pollution, and there are reasons to argue that a carbon tax is the real free-market solution due to its relative simplicity (as opposed to cap and trade, which requires the creation of governmental agencies and top-down mandates on emission limits.)

This is why in e.g. British Columbia, the carbon tax was pushed by the more pro-market Liberals as a market-friendly alternative to cap and trade. Why the free-market libertarian Reason magazine has advocated a carbon tax, as has e.g. the American Enterprise Institute.

From a policy standpoint, the main differences between cap and trade and carbon taxation is that one fixes the emission, while the other fixes the cost of carbon. Proponents of cap+trade argue that it's counter-cyclical (i.e. in recessions, the carbon price drops), but the general feeling in this Congress is to pass counter-cyclical legislation to achieve counter-cyclical ends. In addition, the fact that cap+trade involves a fixed 'supply' of carbon permits compared to variable demand means that it's very subject to price swings. T

he European cap+trade program IOTL, for instance, saw the price of carbon drop wildly from ~20 euros/ton in early 2008 to as low as 2-3 euros/ton in 2013 thanks to greatly decreased demand from the recession. The heavier scope of the recession IOTL means that the initial price drop in the EU scheme was even greater; the wild price swings and hence uncertainty for business helped make carbon taxation seem a more attractive option ITTL.

Though admittedly it's not just the onion article, but the fact that many of your latest teasers have dealt with the carbon tax and backlash to it. It does make some logical sense after all, healthcare reform is complicated and ATL has good branding and a sudden death to piggyback on, the carbon tax really doesn't have any of that. Still a smart move on the Dems part to make it a rebate, but people are still going to see a 'tax' and a directly applicable rise in food prices. I see parallels to Australia's dealing with the Carbon Tax in this, but perhaps rather than being repealed it'll instead be given some exemptions for agricultural products.

Part of it with healthcare is just in how the mandate is portrayed and 'sold.' "Everyone has to have health insurance or you pay a fine" is received rather differently from "If you want to opt-out of Medicare, and you don't want to get private insurance to replace it, you have to pay a fee."

Repeal is rather unlikely at this point since it'd require Republicans to capture a majority in both Congressional houses. Which isn't feasible until 2012 at the very earliest.

From the economic standpoint, there's no reason to exempt agriculture from carbon taxation, except for political expediency. It's worth noting that in OTL's France, the carbon tax the UMP passed had so many exemptions (agriculture, industry, etc.) that it was struck down as unconstitutional in 2010 for being grossly unequal.

Looking at the math a bit, are people really that upset about the food prices? I understand most anger about taxes is theoretical, but I've never seen people monitor food the way they monitor gas, for example. What's the average person spending increase look like for the year? 10-20 bucks for meat? How much mileage can they get out of that? The most red-blooded conservative eating two pounds of steak a day, every day, wouldn't even crack $50.

Fuel seems a more likely culture war target, since people already seem to watch gas station price boards like hawks. I wonder if it's enough to affect the ride-hailing business model? The margins are already pretty thin there.

If you do the math, most households actually get a net benefit from the carbon tax. That's because the taxed amount is roughly proportional to income (to first approximation), while the dividend is equal for every person. Then again, OTL's Obama cut taxes on most of the population during his first term, and yet polls consistently found that more people thought he'd raised taxes than lowered them.

What's driving the anger ITTL is more the symbol rather than the actual impact of having a tax on meat. It cuts to the core of every culture-war stereotype about red-blooded meat-eating 'real Americans' versus the high-brow arugula-munching East Coast snob. The presence of a gas tax means that it's at least engrained into the political landscape, but the appearance of a meat tax from what looks like out of the blue raises anger about perceived social engineering and "Get your government hands off of my meat!" Food-related taxes targeted at public health in other countries such as Denmark, Hungary, Finland, France, Mexico have proved universally unpopular and generally ended up scrapped. This particular tax isn't oriented at public health, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't at least experience an initial backlash.

Hope, Change, and Nutmeg is again on hiatus for the foreseeable future. I realize that I originally specified the summer as the projected resumption time, but the situation has recently shifted (I'll be leaving graduate school soon), and so it's difficult for me to make any concrete promises when my plans are quite up in the air.

TFSmith121

Banned
The thing is,

This mini-update is heavily based off this OTL Onion article, while reflecting changes in the tone and scope of political dialogue and opposition in this TL.

onion_mainbanner_1.jpg

The Onion:
Republicans United Against Obama-Backed Bill That Would Divert Asteroid Headed For Earth

In a strong rebuke of President Obama and his domestic agenda, all 130 House Republicans, supported by many other Republican officeholders and former colleagues, announced at a press confidence Wednesday their staunch opposition to the Asteroid Destruction and American Preservation Act, proposed by President Obama to divert the course of the immense asteroid currently hurtling toward Earth.

The $420 billion legislation, which would send a dozen solar-powered laser satellites to divert the course of the massive asteroid via laser ablation before it strikes the planet[1], would affect more than 300 million Americans and is strongly opposed by the GOP.

"Obama's plan is more religion than actual science", former Rep. Steve King (R-IA) said at the press conference. "Democrats are fear-mongering about this supposed asteroid as part of their big-government plan to take away our fundamental freedom. Have you even seen this supposed giant space rock they claim is heading our way?" [2]

Other Republicans appeared to acknowledge the existence of the asteroid, but disagree on the solution. "There is no reason why this asteroid is our responsibility", declared Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX.) "All evidence indicates - even the most liberal of scientists admit - that this is only a natural asteroid cycle, of the sort that comes around every couple of million years. We had nothing to do with this asteroid; our planet has experienced these natural asteroid cycles before, and it will continue to experience them no matter what we do."

"Furthermore,", Smith continued, "there is a great deal of uncertainty over how asteroids have affected our planet in the past, and how this one will affect us in the future. I thus call upon the President to reject the unscientific hyperbolic fear-mongering claims he has made, and conduct a true cost-benefit analysis. We must properly consider the benefits of having a massive space rock collide with the planet, instead of a one-sided biased analysis that focuses only on the costs." [2]

On the other side of the spectrum, religious conservatives appear to be rallying behind the banner of former Senator Jim Inhofe, who recently declared that "Democratic claims reveal their sheer arrogance. The hoax here is their arrogant belief that they are so powerful that they can change the heavens above. Man does not have that power."

"My point", Inhofe continued, "is that God's still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the heavens is to me outrageous. This asteroid must be part of God's plan, and we must accept it." [2]

[1] This is an actual possible asteroid diversion technique.
[2] These specific quotes are, of course, fictional and written by yours truly. They are, however, to some extent based off of actual OTL comments made by the politicians in question about a different topic.

The thing is, I can actually see this as not on Onion parody in more than few "alternate" versions of the US in the 21st Century...

Best,

Thanks to everyone who voted for me in the Turtledoves again. I quite honestly was expecting to lose to Meadow from the start, but thanks for keeping it close; I didn't realize I had so many readers :)

True genius often goes under-appreciated in its own time!;)

It's also tough to compete with a TL that writes the voters into the material!:p
(No, I kid, it's a fine TL, but I prefer this one.)

Best of luck on your change of venue, hope to see this back on the front burner (on your own terms, of course) before too long!

Will it be an update anytime soon? Would be fun to see the backlash against the Democrats in 2010 :D

Have a strong feeling that there will be. Also, I've finished writing a post that deals with John Edwards. Like the post on the "Teddycare" documentary, it will be in the form of a movie review. I'm ready to go if Seleucus gives the okay.

4.15 - ECB teaser
So, a quick teaser update (with rather considerable implications on the future of Nutmeg-verse) I threw together in half an hour. Feel free to speculate irresponsibly.

OB-OO191_weber_E_20110701054430.jpg

New ECB president Axel Weber appears to reject bailouts!

In one of his first public statements following confirmation by the European parliament and national leaders, new European Central Bank president Axel Weber promised that the ECB under his tenure would strictly obey the terms of the Lisbon Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. The comment appears to be an oblique reference to Article 125 of the TFEU, known colloquially as the "no-bailouts" clause, making it illegal for one EU member to assume the debts of another. Weber has previously been known for more vocal rejection of the concept of bailouts for troubled periphery nations such as Greece or Ireland; his recent comments appear to indicate the start of a more diplomatic approach.

Previously known as a tough-talking inflation hawk, Axel Weber was heavily backed by German chancellor Angela Merkel to succeed former president Jean-Claude Trichet. His nomination was successfully pushed through despite staunch resistance from southern Europe in a victory for Merkel, although analysts say that it cost her a considerable amount of political capital to achieve. Still, the appointment carries significant weight and symbolism. According to a recent article by German weekly Der Spiegel, Weber's appointment "sends a message that Europe's monetary policy is based on established German principles, is largely independent of political meddling and is strictly oriented toward stable prices."[1] It shows Merkel to be "a chancellor who staunchly supports the euro -- one who ensures that no German money goes to Europe without getting something in return." [1]

Other comments made by Weber during the brief speech appear to indicate his support in continuing the series of recent interest rate hikes made by the European Central Bank. Although headline inflation in the European Union is creeping upwards from 3%, it is clear that the new ECB president is firm in his intent to get prices back under control.

Still, not all observers were positive. An editorial seen in the UK Telegraph - certainly no left-wing stalwart - sharply castigated Weber upon news of his confirmation. According to assistant editor Jeremy Warner, "for Mr Weber, being an inflation hawk is not just a matter of economic choice, but an almost religiously held belief. In these matters, he is a fundamentalist nutter." [2] Mr. Warner further pointed out that although headline inflation in the European Union is high, 'core' CPI inflation - which does not include oil and food - is still comfortably low around 1%. [3]

[1] Quotes taken (slightly edited) from this OTL article.
[2] Quote taken from this OTL 2010 article.
[3] Mr. Warner did not make such a comment in his article IOTL because his article was written in 2010, when headline inflation was still low. IOTL's 2011, however, many people pointed this out when the ECB raised interest rates.

Author's note: IOTL, Mr. Weber resigned from the Bundesbank presidency in early 2011 due to opposition within OTL's ECB, despite being widely considered the frontrunner for the ECB presidency. His resignation was a significant political blow for German chancellor Angela Merkel, who was intent upon installing him as ECB president as the centerpiece of her long-term strategy for the Euro.

Of course, ITTL, this has been changed by a number of butterflies. (Also, lest anyone wonder, Mr. Weber has been slotted for the ECB since almost the start of my TL. The events in this teaser have nothing in relation with OTL's current situation in Greece.)

Also, a brief life update as the author:

Good news: I have a new job, having been hired as a data scientist at a startup currently undergoing a rather prestigious and intensive startup accelerator program.

Bad news (for the readers): The realities of work at a startup at an accelerator means that the work hours are slightly ludicrous (seeing that you're trying to work as much as possible to achieve as much as possible during the duration.) For instance, I worked something like a 70-80+ hour week in the past week. So in short, my sincere apologies, but don't expect any further updates from me until September.

Congratulations and best of luck! Sorry to hear about the hours. :( Just make sure you're taking care of yourself!

Well, I'm always in the deep end when the economics begins, but I'm ready to dive in!

I mean, I guess logically if there's no bailout, there's no push for austerity from Germany. It was a tit-for-tat arrangement, so...that's at least a large psychological open sore removed. Though if the bailout is a non-starter, people are going to feel abandoned, anyway, right? But at least they won't feel constantly condescended to...it might lead to a slightly better relationship.

This feels to me like brinksmanship, and the only two outcomes I can see are a closer union with central control over fiscal policy, or the dissolution of the EU. Both sound drastic when I write them out, though, and we all know this isn't a TL where drastic action is the usual outcome.

If it's a tighter union, I think some countries bow out; the UK, for a certainty.

So other than that, I'm getting a picture of a guy who isn't afraid of bubbles popping, and who wants to encourage broader investments that eschew "native" favoritism as a way to keep, for example, the personal wealth of Greeks from being so closely tied to the fate of Greek public debt (I know I'm not using proper econ-jargon, apologies). Or at least, that's what I'm reading (and by reading, think tea leaves as far as my understanding of what I'm reading goes) in a couple of more recent interviews

Posting a guest post, with the permission of Seleucus

Sorkin Returns to Politics with Successful Directorial Debut

dan-flynn-john-edwards-trial.jpg

Oscar-winner Aaron Sorkin, the scribe behind The West Wing and Social Network, has scored another success with his adaptation of Andrew Young’s bestseller, “The Politician,” this time as both writer and director. Remarking on his retelling of John Edwards’s attempted pursuit of the presidency in 2008 and the ensuing scandal that led to the ex-Senator’s disgrace and imprisonment, Sorkin said, “This is an extraordinary story. Filled with motivations, decisions, and consequences that would have lit Shakespeare up.”

Twisting the idealized depiction of American politics of “The West Wing” and “The American President” upside down, “Politician” is centered on the twisted relationship between Edwards and Young, who fanatically dedicates himself to a man he believes can bring a better future for America. Instead, Young willingly allows himself to be manipulated by a duplicitous, egotistical man determined to pursue power, even after being forced to withdraw from the presidential race by staffers fed up with his conduct.

Many elements and themes of The Politician echo Sorkin’s previous projects. The moment where Young first meets Edwards at a trial lawyers summit in Myrtle Beach and becomes captivated by his speech evokes comparisons to a similar scene in the second season premiere of The West Wing, when Josh Lyman first meets Jed Bartlett. And Sorkin’s frequent use of father issues in his characters can be found in both Young, whose own father endured sexual scandal, and Edwards, whom Young adopts as a substitute father figure and attempts to please. Although Sorkin has received flak for his weak female characters, his depiction of Elizabeth Edwards shatters the myth of “Saint Elizabeth,” revealing her true personality. Not a strong everywoman fighting cancer, but an ambitious, abusive, and condescending shrew. Andrew Young’s wife Cheri remains devoted to her husband, while Rielle Hunter is deluded and a nuisance.

No one can imagine what would’ve happened if Edwards won the nomination in 2008 and these revelations came out. Fortunately, the efforts of a few brave staffers ensured the Democrats (And the country, by extension) dodge a major bullet. Today, John Edwards has served time in prison for the financial misdeeds he committed while covering-up the affair, Elizabeth Edwards has passed from this world, Rielle Hunter has written her tell-all book, while Andrew Young and his family moved on from an ordeal in which they barely survived.

At one screening, one guest remarked to Sorkin that “The West Wing’s” fictional presidential election in the final two seasons paralleled the real life 2008 race in many aspects, including one candidate who shares many traits with Edwards. Sorkin replied, “That wasn’t me. That happened after I moved on from 'The West Wing.' It was life imitating somebody else’s art.”

Now you all know what has happened to John Edwards ITTL. Let us move on from him.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new job!

That update is disconcerting to say the least.

Greece, Ireland, and Portugal were all bailed out in 2010. Given that the wording says 'No bailouts' and not 'No more bailouts' I wonder what has occurred in the weaker economies of Europe.

And having an inflation hawk as the head as the ECB is just asking for more pain, especially as I imagine he'll repeat the failed interest rate increases that happened OTL.

I hadn't had the pleasure of reading this TL before. Congratulations for it (and on your new job)!

I have to say, even though I'm not the biggest fan of election nights, seeing so many Republican big names fall was a bit of a guilty pleasure. And Mississippi going full Democratic? Why, that was just the cherry on top. Even though, as an European, I can't help but grit my teeth at seeing Alex Weber at the head of the ECB.

It's actually pretty funny that you've been able to express so much complex nuances, especially for the 2006 to early 2008 period where the butterflies had not yet fully taken wing, in that most sensationalistic and news-distorting medium, headlines!

The reforms led by Obama and the 111th Congress are mostly ones that I can get behind. And voting reform is something the US sorely need. I mean, really? Having party officials elected to supervise elections? What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Have you decided what Krugman position in the administration is? From his blog, I got the impression that he would dread being put in charge of a bureaucracy, but would do very well as an advisor. In the same way that former President Bill Clinton was dubbed Secretary of Explaining Stuff after his 2012 convention speech, I would love having Krugman having a sort of remit of explaining on YouTube or social media what the President is doing this week and talking about the confidence fairy, zombie ideas and sado-monetarians. It probably would drive some Republicans crazy. One thing that is quite likely, though, is that with the troika of Stiglitz-Reich-Krugman in the administration or close to it, the Bowles-Simpson commission and the general obsession over the deficit would not be as favorably welcomed by President Obama.

I could go on and on about the interesting new developments in foreign countries (the Pakistanis avoiding becoming a failed state and willingly turning over Bin Laden, new, more female-dominated Ukrainian politics, and so on) but that would be somewhat long. So, once again, kudos!