Well if you are running around in a CVR(t) then either of them are going to cause you trouble!

On the other hand the Firefly is going to be impervious to the 30mm Rarden gun on the Scimitar - although Scimitars did kill a T62 in the Gulf? So possibly not? The 76mm HESH from the scorpion should cause it issues.

The AML-90 on the other hand is a light armored car with a big gun.

30mm Rarden will kill it.

I would also note that the only example I could find of CVR(t) being damaged by a tank gun was one hit by an Iraqi T55 with the Sabot round passing right through the light tank without injuring the crew.

CVR(T) - the little tank that could ;)

We shall never known for sure (and I'm glad for the British crews).

The Firefly is not going to last too long in front of those small killers, that's for sure. The AML-90 even less, even if, as with the FV family, you have to hit it, first.

Particularly when said junta knows that losing power ends with them up against a wall facing a line of riflemen without even the courtesy of a blindfold
The depressing this is how many of the Junta managed to die of old age. Galtieri for instance was (Somehow) cleared of all human rights charges and only got sent to prison for "mishandling" the war, dragged it out with appeals and then got a Presidential pardon before he actually served any time.

If OTL is any guide then all Galtieri is doing is increasing his future prison sentence by not allowing any surrender and making an even bigger cockup of the war. Still he wouldn't know that and probably does fear the consequences, though making preparations for a fast exit is still a better idea than dooming more of your soldiers to a pointless death.

Got a question wheres all the vehicles and equipment uncle sam gave to Argentina (pre-Falklands)? Where are those vehicles they showed off invading the falklands on tv. Such as the aavp stuff etc. Where did that all go?

Also what are the americans learning from this conflict we seen soviets shagging so what about uncle sam?

I dunno thats what im asking. Why return them when they can be used to fight?

I always understood that certain units were retained or returned to the mainland in case of Chilean adventurism?

Not sure if that is the case but I believe that 1st Marine Battalion which took part in the invasion was not on the island during the fighting to recapture it and the 5th Marine Battalion defended Mt Tumbledown and was arguably the best Argentine unit on the Island.

I suspect that it was felt that a dedicated amphibious assault unit was not required for the defense which sort of makes sense.

I always understood that certain units were retained or returned to the mainland in case of Chilean adventurism?

Not sure if that is the case but I believe that 1st Marine Battalion which took part in the invasion was not on the island during the fighting to recapture it and the 5th Marine Battalion defended Mt Tumbledown and was arguably the best Argentine unit on the Island.

I suspect that it was felt that a dedicated amphibious assault unit was not required for the defense which sort of makes sense.
But this tl isn't a bunch of random british ships it has a proper aircraft carrier.

Btw can a american aav take on a scorpion/ the tanks the British have broguht?

Do remember that the Argentine AAVs weren't the uparmoured AAV7 but in fact the very baseline LVTP7 with not very thick armour. All had returned to the mainland, well before the arrival of HM Forces (along as said with a lot of the initial landing force). 5th marines were indeed one of the best units there along with 601 and 602 Commandos. Seems 25th Infantry newly raised and hardly any collective bn level training was probably the unit with lowest morale and nowhere near as effective, (I believe it was raised from across the whole country as a symbol of unity or something like that) although matters little if a bullet flying towards you is fired by nervous conscript or hardened marine.

But this tl isn't a bunch of random british ships it has a proper aircraft carrier.

Btw can a american aav take on a scorpion/ the tanks the British have brought?

Having AAVs is not going to change that!

Right up to its arrival in the AOO the Argentine 'government' thought it was 'doing a Goa' and that there would be no actual fighting and there are better suited vehicles to use as AFVs once the initial landing is complete. Such as the Panhard AML 90.

Not having that Marine unit near the Beagle Islands however might make the Chileans more adventurous (in the mind of the Junta anyway).

As for taking on the CVR(T) I believe that the Argentine AAVs were armed with .50 cals which at shorter ranges might penetrate the thinner armor of the Light tanks but well within the ranges that the 76mm or 30mm cannon can do for a AAV!

So I would not recommend it.

The Panhard while also as vulnerable at least can hit back at range!

Also the British were liberally equipped with 84mm Charlie Gs (MAW) at Platoon level and more serious still the Milan ATGW at Battalion level which had a 2km range and could kill any tank then in service.

Btw can a american aav take on a scorpion/ the tanks the British have broguht?

The 50 cal on an AAV could probably penetrate the side and rear armour of an FV101/107 so it is not absolutely impossible but the sequence of events that would be required for something as big and slow as an AAV getting into an ambushing position without anyone noticing would be an absurdity bordering on a miracle.

but the sequence of events that would be required for something as big and slow as an AAV getting into an ambushing position without anyone noticing would be an absurdity bordering on a miracle.

Not really. Not the most "technically likely?" Definitely.

Possible on a battlefield? Also definitely. Worse and more "absurd" things have happened.

A .50 would go through the Armour on the Scorpion/Scimitar in the 80s they did not up Armour them at all it was only on the 90snthat it started to happen. I can never understand why they did away with the Scorpions having a gun that shoot Canister is very handy thing to have switching to the Scimitar with a 30mm slightly baffled me.

Last edited:
I just finished reading. This is a great tale of the Falklands--well done.
The Falklands seem to be a popular place...Eagle in one TL, Anson in another, and 3 Fireflies in an older, classic one. WOW! good stuff :)
(Has anyone done a timeline where the Argentines hold the islands?)

I just finished reading. This is a great tale of the Falklands--well done.
The Falklands seem to be a popular place...Eagle in one TL, Anson in another, and 3 Fireflies in an older, classic one. WOW! good stuff :)
(Has anyone done a timeline where the Argentines hold the islands?)
Looks like the French campaign to retake the Malouines is wrapping up now, as well.