Hadrian's Consolidation - reboot

Perhaps you could create a massive shift perhaps make the empire fall and start following a splinter state or a lost Roman colony in America,... My point is that If you are losing interest you can switch it up your to something that does interest you. But providing a natural ending and doing something new is equally good for me.

Perhaps you could create a massive shift perhaps make the empire fall and start following a splinter state or a lost Roman colony in America,... My point is that If you are losing interest you can switch it up your to something that does interest you. But providing a natural ending and doing something new is equally good for me.

@Hecatee i like this idea if you are feeling the end of this timeline want to start something new or anything, this would allow you to start fresh with some new ideas, perhaps jumping foreard several hundred or a thousand years, staying within your own timeline but a fresh start in a sense. Also i know how hard it is to do a timeline and after staying at it for so long i would definitely understand you wanting to do something new, i support you whatever your decision. Just want to say ive enjoyed this timeline

Ramontxo

Donor
Yes please. I have not only enjoy this TL a lot but also learnt from it. I do understand that this unpaid hard job, but would really appreciate it if you decided to follow it.

Femto

Banned
Please man, if you want to end it, then end it. But just make one or two more chapters to close the story and give it a good ending. I want to know if the Romans do conquer the whole world in the end.

This is a very good timeline, but if you want to end it, it is best if you focus on a central flaw (I am sure you can find one) of your Roman Empire that would eventually bring about its demise so it doesn't look as if you abandoned this thread without finishing the story like so many others have done with theirs, much to our irritation. We all know of various theories that brought about the end of the OTL Roman Empire, especially the western half. Do you have any similar ideas? Or alternatively, since you have based your Roman Empire on the Chinese example, you could have the current dynasty meet an end similar to the OTL Western Roman Empire, and then after a century or two of chaos and barbarian rule have another dynasty rise up to take its place and restore the Empire.

Last edited:

Hecatee

Donor
just a quick note I've read all your comments and suggestions but despite being home (like so many of us...) I've not had the time I need to frame a proper answer to you all, but an answer is coming ;) I just need to play nurse to my cat (who had to undergo an unexpected surgery) and juggle a few balls before I can write what you all deserve for your kind words !

The era of good emperors should be ending within the next century. And as stated social problems, soil exhaustion and eventually global cooling will have to stop this Roman golden age.

Hecatee

Donor
So, I'm back. And I'm back with what will be the last post of this story, for it is time for me to move on as I felt I could no longer provide you guys with enough interesting content in this story. But as a parting gift (and not a Parthian shot !) I've decided to make the final update special : big, giving you a glimpse of the future one thousand years in Rome and the rest of the world, and many topics on which to debate and/or ask questions (however I make no garantee I'll answer them all !)

Thank you all for reading this story with me for so long, the difference between the original attempt and this reboot is entirely due to you, your comments, your support, your ideas and contributions.

Epilogue - Novaroma, Ultramaris, 21 April 1247

Hecatee

Donor
Epilogue
Novaroma, Ultramaris, 21 April 1247

The day was a day of celebration. Tensions with the ultramarine empire were not forgotten, but today the vestiges of the Roman Empire’s presence in the ultramarine territories celebrated the two thousand years of the mother city, Rome.

Of course the Emperor, nowadays a mostly ceremonial position elected every ten years by the Senate from its ranks, was in Rome and those who wanted could see the parade to the Capitolium on their wall sized teleides or even see it on their virtual presence sets, but most novaromans had decided to crowd alongside the large avenue of the new world that bisected the city centre in order to enjoy the show.

The reenactors came first, two thousand men split in twenty groups, one for each century of Rome’s history : the bronze age warriors, the republican legionaries who had crushed the Greeks and the Carthaginians, the proud soldiers of Marius and Caesar, the stolid professionals of the age of Augustus, Hadrian and Marcus Aurelius, those of the later era of the so-called caretaker emperors, those who had fought the nordic wars and those who had to protect the empire from the steppe hordes around the thirteenth century of Rome, the conqueror of the ultramarine lands and those who had fought against their later independence…

The last group was made of a hundred current foot soldiers with their modern armors eerily reminiscing of the early imperial style, complete with the energy shield and the energy hastae heavy infantry weapons whose shape was reminiscent of the spears of old. Of course they were accompanied by five time their numbers of military servi, the semi-autonomous pseudo-infantry machines that had taken the place of man on the battlefield, a clear display that Rome’s power was not to be trifled with : at least five time as many men and servi were manning the defensive positions of the island’s shore.

Then came the vehicules, troop transports and mobile artillery and combat chariots equipped with both energy and projectile weapons while overhead five turmae of drones flew low and slow, unlike their usual flight parameters… Together with the rest of the legion deployed in the area they guaranteed that the ultramarine would not attempt a new assault on the island that had been known as Paumanok when the first Romans had come to settle it.

Above each parading group the augmented reality lenses everyone wore showed more informations about each era, how the borders of the empire had fluctuated, although to be fair the core borders had been mostly stable for a millenium. Of course there had been the conquests of Hibernia and that of the lands north of the famous britannian wall during the era of the caretaker emperors, and the move east of the germanian limes as a way to counteract the mobility of the steppe tribes during the large wars against a number of leaders whose name was still taught in school despite the fact that they had been no real threat on the battlefield except for the number of men they commanded, an advantage greatly diminished when the Romans fought from prepared positions, helped by the then new individual firearms that had come into mass service.

Similarly images showed the conquest of the ultramarine region, with first the gallic fishermen in their steamships arriving along the northern coast of the area, the foundation of the first temporary settlements on the outlying islands, then the arrival of large groups of colonists protected by the army who had founded the main cities on the continental coast and then in the interior, mainly following the rivers.

The local tribes had been greatly diminished by plagues brought by the newcomers, and the colonization had been very easy. The best sanitation and draining techniques from the Empire had been used to quickly tame malarian lands, and explorers had set about mapping this new land. Soon they had discovered the empires of the south, with their strange names… Mayas, Zapothecs, the great city state of Theotihuacan, and then, on the other side of the southern ultramarine, the Moches and Nazcas…

The middle islands group had also been explored, and its fitness for cultivating spices and sugar recognized. At the time slavery, which had been in decline in the Empire’s centre due to the increasing role of machinery, got a temporary reprieve : the natives that did not die from illnesses were often used in the latifundia the settlers created. However that would only last for about fifty years before the drying up of the supply of slaves and the increased mechanization made the practice of slavery in those plantations unprofitable. What few slaves remained became household slaves and then, when Constantine “The Great Emancipator” made his great edict of Mediolanum, became free men of peregrine status like their brothers in misery from Europe.

The evolution had been rather the same in Africa, although it must be said that the ultramarine territories were much more densely populated than the dark continent thanks to the much better climate and easier colonization. Of course places such as Africa Meridionalis thrived with large latifundia bringing lots of money to their owners, but most of Africa’s jungles were left to their barbarian inhabitants who slowly evolved in contact with the white men from the sea.

This network of colonies had been held by massive fleets of steam, and later naphta, propelled ships that meant that Rome could react quickly to any development : even Africa Meridionalis was only 20 days steaming from Italia, and the middle islands of Ultramaris were but a dozen days away from the gallic coast.

The invention around that time of wireless communication meant that information could reach Rome in a matter of hours, instead of the weeks it would have taken originally. In this context the rebellion of mainland Ultramarina had been something of a shock. The lack of real threat on the continent meant that few military forces were there to stop the rebellion as it appeared, and the same lack of military forces meant that the civilians of the area had more individual weapons to protect themselves from nature’s threats : they had thus been able to quickly gather lot of armed men that had overwhelmed or simply converted military units to their views.

Using the rail and river networks, they had spread in all directions and by the time an imperial legion had landed in Nova Roma it had been too late : the mainland was de-facto independent from east to west coast and from the cold meridional lands to the river in the desert that marked the limit of the old tributary native empires of middle Ultramaris in the south. Those had been prompt to join the rebellion, providing it with a lot of gold, to ensure their own independence from Rome. Geography meant that neither Rome nor its vassals further south could intervene in time to prevent this move.

Yet while all in Rome knew the cause was lost, they were not ready to abandon the islands alongside the coast. They knew that piracy could become a threat to Rome, and that the islands could either produce luxury goods of become good bases against any ultramarine fleet. Urgently fitting a number of merchant ships with guns, the Empire had enforced a blockade, razed and burned to the ground a few coastal towns that could become bases for a future ultramarine fleet, seized or sunk any ultramarine ship that could be found, and then sent representative to the provisional government of the so called Republic of Ultramarine.

The peace conditions had been harsh, with only a few ports being allowed to receive more than fishing ships of a small size, and an interdiction to build any ships larger than a given size, with no military ships whatsoever being authorized.

Knowing there was nothing they could do and surprised to come out of the war with their head on and their independence, the founding father of the new nation agreed to the conditions and signed a treaty that would mostly hold for five centuries, despite some later events in periods of troubles on the mainland where warlords attempted to attack the remaining roman territories, in particular the long island on which Nova Roma was built and which explained the major military presence on the island.

The Ultramarine would know lots of turbulences through the centuries, never evolving to the stability the Empire has enjoyed : a number of civil wars, some temporary secessions, coups and counter coups all feature prominently in the history of that gigantic nation, but in the end the deep railroad and river network meant that any breakup was temporary.

While a military powerless nation, the Ultramarine republic is one of the major economic powers of the world but the limitations on shipbuilding seriously hamper its exportation capacities, although the birth of aviation did somewhat alleviate the problem with the large cargo airships of the Ultramarine a common sight all over the world.

Amongst the other historical informations on display on the augmented reality “floats” were numerous other mentions of the maritime strength of the Empire, the technological advance of Rome meaning that it had been able to simply break any attempt at a fleet by any nation except the Serican empire, which saw no need for a fleet given that the Romans did all the necessary work to bring the world to Serica.

This maritime domination had allowed the foundation of a number of colonies on islands near larger shores, all becoming beacons of civilization to the locals and the main trading ports of the world. Through them steam engines flooded the world as did many other ideas that transformed the way of living of millions. To gain access to these riches the locals would often sell raw materials that got transformed in the Empire.

Sometime Rome would also decide to capture a land for its riches, the most notable case being the invasion of Arabia all the way to the sea once the importance of naphta was fully understood. The campaign was swift and not much native resistance was experienced thanks to a liberal use of the then new explosive and fragmentum shells which caused horrendous losses to the natives’ cavalry, the construction of rail lines then crashing a large part of the ancient economic order by making camels almost useless, breaking the power of the elites.

But the fact that Rome would thus grasp the orbis mundis and hold firm to it would not mean that all would be peaceful in the Empire, although the floats of the parade would not mention such issues… A number of great crisis had been suffered, such as the coinage and trade issues in the tenth century, when many gold mines went dry at the same time as the collapse of Serica into anarchy damaged the eastern trade, causing unrest in the Empire and the beginning of a period of tensions between the Senate and the Equestrian order which ended up with the Senatorial status becoming a personal status and no longer the mark of a class, everyone owning above one million sestertii becoming a senator and all the old restrictions that came with the old status being suppressed so that senators could engage in trade. To the shock of many old senators, hundreds of equestrians possessed the required amount of money and were interested in using their newfound power to change the world.

In this in this era that Roman law would be formally written into large corpus by theme, and the Senate reorganized to have permanent committees working on each of these corpus to propose changes to the general assembly. The committees were the constitution (in charge of the state’s organization, including taxes), army, crime, trade, foreign affairs and infrastructure committees and they remain to the present day.

The Emperor kept its role as incarnation of the state, head of the official religion, arbiter of debates, with the right to introduce new laws and to block any that he deemed unwise, and remained as supreme judiciary appeal level as well as commander in chief of the armies, although it would slowly evolve. For instance the military role would become more ceremonial during the steppe tribes’ wars when emperor Probus was captured and held hostage for five years before a daring raid finally managed to save him.

Similarly he would lose his judiciary role (except a right to grant pardon) following a crisis in which public opinion discovered that he’d been bribed, the information being disseminated far and wide by the then new paper press.

Nowadays the Emperor is mainly the figurehead of the state, head of the official cult, the one who signs laws (without being able to refuse them) and treaties with foreign nations, and lead great events such as the bimillenium of the Empire.

Another big crisis during the transition phase between the era of fossil fuels and the so called new energies had been the environnement damages caused in many areas by the search for raw ressources. We now know that the Empire caused a lot of pollution observable in artic cores as early as the 9th century while some area were almost turned into deserts by deforestation. Here however old roman laws helped as they were still enacted centuries after they had been taken for completely different reasons : the hadrianic legislations on forests protection for instance, taken for the construction of wooden rowing ships, meant that there was an administration that made sure deforested areas were planted anew. By the twelfth century the Senate had taken a number of laws on pollution, to limit the consequences of industry. This probably prevented some catastrophes…

When asked about what explains this incredible survival of Rome, historians usually say that three elements played a major rôle. Firstly the new rules on succession inaugurated by Hadrian which had helped provide the Empire with a lot of very good emperors and had remained unchanged and unchallenged for three centuries before the death of Heliconus and his two heirs to a plague caused a constitutional crisis that led to the election of the Emperor by the Senate from its own ranks for a period of ten years that could not be prolonged.

The second major element, even more important, was the birth of the experimental era. The shift in mentality the new philosophy best expressed by Claudius Ptolemy had been a major event in the history of humanity that led to the third major factor, the incredible advances in communication speed : not only did it allow the Empire to react much more quickly to events but it did accelerate the speed at which knowledge was diffused.

Some argue that the creation of the corps of engineer (as it is now known) was as important as the previous three factors because it played a rôle in dissemination of knowledge, in the introduction of new technologies simultaneously all over the empire, but also in giving new outlets for the equestrian class, making it richer and much more powerful. But all agree, nothing would have been possible without Hadrian’s consolidation.

Ramontxo

Donor
Thanks very much for this TL that I have really enjoyed and for this final post that clarifies the development of this. Just two questions first could you explain the calendar? And would it be possible for you to provide an map? And thanks again for your time and hard work

I'm extremely sad that its done, but all but the utmost respect for the tale you weaved. Thank you very much for the story, I loved it. Stay awesome and healthy!

ultramarine
Sorry when ever i read this cant help but think does ruler of ultamarine looks something like this
adrian-prado-guillimanfinal.jpg

Hecatee

Donor
Thanks very much for this TL that I have really enjoyed and for this final post that clarifies the development of this. Just two questions first could you explain the calendar? And would it be possible for you to provide an map? And thanks again for your time and hard work

I've always used "christian" calendar dates for the ease of reading, but in this post all dates are based on the foundation of Rome, 20 centuries before, so the main story ends up in the 10th century. As for a map... well as I've previously stated I'm afraid I'm not good at it, and I don't want to go into looking at all details (what ? why is Korea part of China ? oh a mega USA + Canada nation without coastal islands and Long Island capital of Roman North America and Cuba a Roman stronghold ?...)

Thank you @Hecatee.

Just one question: what happened to Persia and China?

China : mainly OTL but somewhat more frequent pushes by nomads from the North too violently repelled by the Romans, but less powerfull so China better able to repel them. Keeps in a kind of splendid isolation, no need even for a Zheng He because roman traders are availlable with their ever more wonderfull goods, so it is mainly a cycle of strenght and weakness because it is not as tied in one as Rome who has the sea and the rail to unify its parts.

Persia : often fell prey to barbarians from the north on the way to India, but the arrival of gunpowder allowed them to become a middle sized power more or less secure from invasion by anyone but Rome

India : suffered multiple waves of invasions that shattered the North, but rarely reached the south which has thus become richer and more unified, also helped by roman Sri Lanka. While there have been periods of great emperors, it is still fragmented by the time of the epilogue.

Sorry when ever i read this cant help but think does ruler of ultamarine looks something like this
No : less martial. And Roman modern armor as per the epilogue is closer to Stargate SG-1 Jaffa armor (without the mask, replaced by a more traditionnal Roman design), with their hastae being like Jaffa staff.