Serbian War
Hello everyone! I've decided to start my TL! The POD is in 1903, The May overthrow fails to kill King Alexander I of Serbia. Stuff ensues. Here goes nothing!

Excerpt from London times, 1st June 1903:

SERBIA EMBROILED IN CIVIL WAR!
Austria-Hungary Prepares Intervention!
Ladies and Gentlemen; as you all know, a coup attempt in Serbia to remove Serbian King Alexander two days ago on the night of 29-30 May failed when the King escaped. He eventually found himself among people who don't think he should die and that the coup attempt has taught him a 'valuable lesson'.

The conspirators, not willing to just give up and inevitably be arrested for their crimes (they killed Queen Draga during the coup attempt), began to shoot at King Alexander's 'Supporters' late on the 30th. Quite literally overnight, Serbia has erupted into chaos and violence. It is already being refered to as a 'civil war'.

On one side are the Royalists, on the other is the so-called 'Black hand' movement. Meanwhile, it appears that Austria-Hungary is preparing to intervene (it is unknown who they will support, although they have had some issues with Alexander in the past), having started to move troops into position along the borders of Serbia. Time will tell if they intervene, and if they do, if they succeed.

-<>-​

Excerpt from a Decades of Tragedy, The Balkan Crisis: 1903-1933

The Serbian War.
Many people today agree that the Balkan Crisis of the early 20th Century started with the Serbian Civil war of 1903. Had the Royal couple simply stayed inside like the previous night, they both would've died at the Conspiracy's hands. Had Nuamovic not been delayed by one day(for unknown reasons), it would have occurred the previous night.

As it was, the royal couple had randomly decided that that night was a good one for a late night stroll. Three of the Conspirators saw them walking with two guards and fired upon the group, hitting a guard, and killing Queen Draga.

According to the surviving guard the King, distraught over his wife's death, immediately charged the Conspirators. Despite being wounded, he managed to tackle one and wrestle his gun away. With the help of his guards the three conspirators were all killed. The second guard died of his wounds a few hours later.

Eventually Alexander and his guard found a part of the Military that hadn't betrayed him and they approached the National Assembly with weapons drawn. After a brief round of shouting, members of the Assembly were revealed to have been in on The Conspiracy. This resulted in King Alexander dissolving it, and calling for new a election once the Conspiracy was dealt with. It was believed mostly Loyalists would win, for obvious (autocratic) reasons.

The Members of the Conspiracy, now called the Black Hand, chose to fight. In the evening hours of May 30th they fired upon the Loyalists outside the National Assembly. Within hours the Serbian Civil war was in full swing, Loyalist and Black Hand aligned soldiers fighting each other across all of Serbia. Eight days later, Austria-Hungary would attempt to intervene, shoot a Black Hand member, and wind up on King Alexander's side. On June 19th 1903, the last Black Hand soldiers surrendered in southern Serbia, ending the war.

However, this was not the end of the tragedy that befell Serbia. On June 28th, a dissatisfied supporter of the Black Hand shot and Fatally wounded King Alexander I of Serbia. Before this, he had agreed to let Austria-Hungary pick his successor, as he did not wish to remarry. This resulted in Theodore Nikolic von Rudna being crowned King of Serbia. Unknown to anyone at the time, this was the start of the formation of the Federal Habsburg Empire.

Last edited:
So what do you think?

If anyone has any mapmaking skills I would greatly appreciate it if you could make one. I lack a computer or else I would do it. It isn't necessary yet, but after 1908 onward the map diverges from OTL.

Last edited:
Misc. Article I
Because I feel like it.
_______________________________________​

Excerpt from Boston Globe, July 4th 1903

Serbia has Civil War! Austria Ends it!
Von Rudna installed as King!
As I'm sure you know, Serbia has recently endured a brief civil war. A group of officers tried to kill the King of Serbia. They failed, but refused to give up and a brutal civil war ensued.

Austria, hungry as ever, seized the opportunity to increase her power in the region. Intervening for their own good, they blundered their way into supporting King Alexander. They then set about destroying all opposition forces. Within three weeks they had done their work.

After the war, the victors held a funeral for Draga. It was at this time disaster struck again. The Serbian King had stepped out to be alone for a minute, presumably to weep over Draga. Suddenly a young man appeared out of the shadows and shot him six times. Alexander reportedly grabbed ahold of his assassin by the forearms and thanked him before dying. The assassin disappeared after this, and still remains at large.

Immediately afterwards, the Austrians put Theodore Nikolic von Rudna on the throne. This was supposedly in keeping with the late King's wishes. In either case, the Austrians concluded a treaty of friendship with Serbia a few days later in an almost unnecessarily hasty manner.

The treaty insures that the two countries will come to each other's aid and that they will never war again. This is rather obviously an attempt by Austria to increase her influence in the region. Time will tell if this works out in their favor.

Last edited:
Well to everyone who read this (and especially those who liked it) I will probably do more newspaper article updates than history book updates. The articles are short and easy to on a whim, the history book sections are longer and a bit more thought out so I have to write those on my days off.

What do you all think of having WWI start early? Like Deutschland refuses to back down during the second Agadir crisis and declares war? Or perhaps an earlier more violent death for our favorite Kaiser and his nephew, the heir? Just floating ideas around.

Interesting premise.

Cool. I was thinking of having both Franz Joseph and Franz Ferdinand get assassinated. F.J. would survive just long enough to declare war on whoever I decide he thinks was harboring the group of terrorists that did this (I might have him be under the impression that Bulgaria was somehow involved, regardless of whether that is true). Would this still cause WWI? I plan for this to occur around 1910ish. How would this affect the war?

Cool. I was thinking of having both Franz Joseph and Franz Ferdinand get assassinated. F.J. would survive just long enough to declare war on whoever I decide he thinks was harboring the group of terrorists that did this (I might have him be under the impression that Bulgaria was somehow involved, regardless of whether that is true). Would this still cause WWI? I plan for this to occur around 1910ish. How would this affect the war?

World War 1 would break out over something. Europe and the Balkans by this time was a powder keg just waiting to go boom.

Not too much. France wanted payback, the UK was worry at the balance of power, Willy wanted a place in the sun, Russia is losing a ally in the Balkans.....

All the other major players are in place.

Serbia have been an Austrian ally for seven years by this time (although they are at war with Bulgaria so even worse for them). I also plan for Italy to stay neutral. I'll change that if need be though (haven't written WWI yet, that'll be after the Bosnian crisis).

With A-H still friendly and allied to Serbia, they might just let "Serbian parts of Bosnia" be annexed by Serbia while they take the rest in 1908. This should butterfly the assassination attempts by the Serbians against the A-H monarchy and government officials. I mean no claims on Bosnian Serbs, but instead an alliance that saved them in 1895 and a new King from A-H.

This might make the turks take the germans advice to heart and fully reform the army, because an expanded Serbia allied with A-H scares them enough. This could give them the chance to give the Italians a bloody nose in 1911.

Which then could butterfly the Balkan wars. As one of the reasons the Balkan alliance was formed was the perceived weakness of the Ottomans. But the pressures for war were enormous so this is rather doubtful. It would give the Turks a better chance as an army that has completed it reforms and just gave a good accounting of itself, is certainly better off than the shambles in OTL 1912.

Yay, Habsburg/Austria[-Hungary] timeline!

My first reaction was a nervous one since I thought this was going to be about Franz Ferdinand taking the throne. However, killing off both FF and FJ? I mean, FJ'll be more than happy to join his wife and son earlier than OTL, but this presents an interesting scenario.

If it's before 1906, then you get a brief Emperor Otto I before Charles I becomes Emperor. Austria's constitutional experiment is still in its infancy and between 1903 and 1907, Hungary is through a constitutional crisis.

The timing is perfect for significant instability, yet this might be exactly what A-H needs to push reforms...

Now guys, I wanted to know if you want to hear more about the world outside A-H and Serbia? Maybe the other Great Powers reactions (counting USA and Nippon?).

With A-H still friendly and allied to Serbia, they might just let "Serbian parts of Bosnia" be annexed by Serbia while they take the rest in 1908. This should butterfly the assassination attempts by the Serbians against the A-H monarchy and government officials. I mean no claims on Bosnian Serbs, but instead an alliance that saved them in 1895 and a new King from A-H.

This might make the turks take the germans advice to heart and fully reform the army, because an expanded Serbia allied with A-H scares them enough. This could give them the chance to give the Italians a bloody nose in 1911.

Which then could butterfly the Balkan wars. As one of the reasons the Balkan alliance was formed was the perceived weakness of the Ottomans. But the pressures for war were enormous so this is rather doubtful. It would give the Turks a better chance as an army that has completed it reforms and just gave a good accounting of itself, is certainly better off than the shambles in OTL 1912.

Any other effects I should know about? I didn't quite think about the effect this would have on Ottomans. I mean, they obviously aren't the focus of this TL. Doesn't mean they can't blunder their way into survival a little while longer, though.

I plan to update in some way soon. I got a new (cheapish) computer, so I can download a good mapmaker on it and start tearing Europe to shreds soon.

What are your thoughts on a diarchy with a Monarch and an elected official? Just floating it out there.