Glossary of Sealion Threads

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by IchBinDieKaiser, Jan 19, 2011.

1. sitalkes Well-Known Member

Woops! sorry should have included that november sub. I'm assuming a September invasion but in most cases it makes no difference if it was in June (even though an invasion in June or July was impossible). The Germans used the Channel in the 1st World War and between the wars and had access to pre-war Admiralty charts - it seems likely they would have the necessary data. The Admiralty issued regular bulletins to neutral powers about navigational dangers and changes in the channel and the Germans were able to get hold of them. I'm not assuming there was a surprise, an invasion alert was issued September 7 and RN ships (including the subs I mentioned) were sent out as a result, I think it reasonable to say that the response to an invasion alert September 7 is what would happen if there was an invasion alert.

2. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
  3. Garrison Well-Known Member

Sealion on Land

Yet another thread that starts, 'I'm not sure if this has been done...' and skips over the awkward getting across the channel part.

4. DAv Middle Class... sorry

Anyone have a link to the TL that actually had a Sealion attempted? Used to be on Geocities and was rather good from what I recall. Didn't go beyond the war.

5. Saphroneth Just don't ask me to write a normal world Banned

Do you mean A Better Show by Michele?

6. DAv Middle Class... sorry

No, it wasn't hosted on this site at all. A rather brief WWII TL where Germany attempts Sealion, comes a cropper and it continues from there.

7. Ddmkm122 IDon’tKnowanned Banned

Please add "Why is sealion such a sensitive issue on this forum?"

8. Gudestein Nobody wants a Notler

9. oldironside Life is not a third conditional.

No, you mean it was an ill-thought out, biased wank that most members ignored.

10. Gudestein Nobody wants a Notler

Oh thank you, charming as always. So I guess you find all the other sea-lion entries perfectly well-though out?

And actually, not ignored, quite well visited.
    And while we are at it, I guess "the Illiterate Fuhrer" should count as well. Certainly that disproves your point about "the Literate Fuhrer" being ignored.;)

11. SpanishSpy A.K.A Dick Cheney

Another one here.

12. Gudestein Nobody wants a Notler

You should see the "Very reluctant Führer" as well. Its not that related, but the inspiration does show in the title.

13. TimTurner Cartoon Phanatic

I find it remarkable you have enough threads about Operation Sea Lion to it to merit making a sticky thread about it. Even though I'm a long time lurker, I never knew you had that much threads about that one military operation.

14. Ian Hathaway Well-Known Member

I don't know about anyone else but I personally think this 'Sticky' needs a bit of a facelift. People regularly send other users in the direction of this thread and say that it is essential reading for anyone that even mentions Sealion or the invasion of Britain. Maybe it should be madde a little easier for people to find the answers to their questions.

The primary aim of this sticky is to list previous threads on the subject but without clicking each link individually, which could take weeks if not months to read through all, it's impossible to know whether the specific details you're looking for have already been covered.

Maybe it would be better to have a list of actual topics/details/questions and links to the threads where the discussions have already taken place with a summary of the discussions.

I know this would be hard work for anyone taking this on but surely it would be more useful than the current format.

15. oldironside Life is not a third conditional.

It could certainly do with being reorganised into sub-headings. A lot of the threads have nothing to do with Sealion, or only a marginal relevance.

16. Michele Well-Known Member

17. Gukpard We came so close...

>Be me
    >Go into tvtropes
    >Reads a article saying how Sealion is hated in alternativehistory.com
    >Cannot understand how a topic can be so hated
    >Go to alternativehistory.com
    >See this topic
    >take a look at how many sealion posts are there

Dude, how the admins still allow people to create so many threads about Sealion?

18. Indicus Raganus Indicum

Torontum, Ontarium Minor, Imperium Romanum
  19. Indicus Raganus Indicum

Torontum, Ontarium Minor, Imperium Romanum
    Do you mean this site? :D

20. Gukpard We came so close...

Wrong link, sorry :v