Who was the best president of the United States in this timeline?

• Calvin Coolidge: the Revolutionary President

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like where this is going. Though it might be interesting if Texas stays separate longer.

I agree on both counts, I like all of these Republics popping up across the west and I'm interested to see how this changes the dynamics of North America. Any idea when we're going to get a map?

I agree on both counts, I like all of these Republics popping up across the west and I'm interested to see how this changes the dynamics of North America. Any idea when we're going to get a map?
To be honest, I don't really know how to make one on the site...

EDIT: also I requested one a while back but no map yet

Last edited:
The Canadian Rebellion
Blood On The Snow: The Rebellion of Lower Canada: 1834-1837

The Rebellion, born for the desire to stop the disenfranchising of French speakers and the working class English speakers, has its roots in the rejection of 1834 92 Resolutions.

The Rebellion, headed by the Parti Patriote, truly started when 26 members of the party resisted arrest from the British in 1837. November 23rd was a victory for the Parti Patriote when rebel forces defeated government forces at Saint-Denis. The climactic battle came at the city of Saint-Charles on November 25th. Thomas Brown of the rebels had accepted the offer of 300 troops and two cannon to hold the city. The rampart wall stretched from the river to the main road. The rebels initially resisted the British attack, but were forced to retreat back to Saint-Denis after the British seized the center hill. The Parti Patriote wished to see the Canadas undergo reform, but soon realized that their uprising was in vain. But, the organization understood what would happen if they lost.
1CccsmfA6nsSuIKGvgaTl0Yj8JqVMlXKbkk3fJjMU-aC7_dMi4tcF4KFOWONeC7Ho-ROGU3eURMJfaG7eRPVrovgZEIPoh5EVPk2qhmJp80dVjT3xR3bdius-2EE7MuQ-AYIF0MX

A depiction of the rebellion

Statistics of the Battle of Saint Charles

British
Leader: lieutenant colonel George Wetherall
Strength: 406 regulars, 20 militia cavalry, 2 cannon.
Casualties: 58 dead and 28 wounded.

Parti Patriote Rebels
Leader: Thomas Brown
Strength: 500-550 men, 350 rifles, 2 cannon
Casualties: 77 dead.

The fall came later in December. The rebels had lost a series of battles before the collapse of the rebellion. With falling numbers due to a mix of diseases and a lack of food, the rebels were poorly prepared when the British Army attacked the city. The Second Battle of Saint-Denis resulted in the city being burned to the ground, with mass executions being perpetrated by the British in the aftermath, permanently cementing Anglo resentment in the population. The government in Westminster was horrified at the results of the war, but became determined by the actions of the rebels not to institute reforms for the colonies, instead cracking down harder on dissent for a time in an effort to punish them until the then Prime Minister was replaced. Moderate reforms were implemented in the Canadas, though they were not seen as enough by many who had supported the rebels.

Last edited:
So, North America is getting pretty tense with all of the anti British feelings about.
Tomorrow I'm planning on doing a quick update on Texas, and an update on America's next president, Samuel Colt and his new invention, and some spotlight on Albion and Mexico

Age of Houston to the Anglo American War
North America: 1836-1857

Continuing the policies of Houston, President Crockett was supportive of both the Native American tribes still in American borders and improvement of the army. During Crockett’s term, the tribal leaders of the Choctaw and Chickasaw were met with a proposal to combine the lands to carve a new state out of the old Mississippi territory (OTL Alabama). The state was named Rubrum and was admitted to the union in 1839. The new capital was Wedowee. Besides a new state, Crockett’s main accomplishment was the addition of a new weapon to the American arsenal. Built by Samuel Colt, the rifle was capable of firing eight shots a minute. It was believed that a higher rate of fire would give the United States an edge over the United Kingdom when, not if, another war came.
xRnvjYqp-NdeDMlzWLh5NnuBk3J-cgLcZaeWOLeL1xJiIJyYDzIhyoBRQPD79DWO1m2QHZERwLyT9kRgwaBrqfy2eBnYLBU_4KSuZ7BbBiDZwc_FpUsmW1BqA7QQKD4M6vMwtygg

Mexico City, 1839
Stephen Austin sat at the table across from the foreign dignitary from Mexico. For days, demands passed back and forth from Texas and it's mother nation. The Mexican spoke. "You have a strange country. You want to be recognized, yet, you've only sought it from either us, the Americans, or the Bavarians of all people. Why not Great Britain?" Austin slammed a fist on the table. "Texas is not some whore!"

"Que? Excuse me?"

"Those greedy little imperialist bastards, England is the root of evil. We shall not grovel to the Empire that disgraced our home nation. Mexico may be the mother of Texas, but America is the mother of her people. We want peace with you. Mexico and Texas, brothers of the Gulf. We want peace, doggone it. Peace, Jackson's orders."

The Mexican starred. "Such strange people..."

A few days later, the resolution came to an end. Texas's southern border would only reach the Nuances River, but could keep the panhandle.

The Colony of Albion
The Colony was expanding. The Colony had pushed against The Republic of Kansas and through native lands, forcing them West. The mid west was large and open, and was accessible via New Orleans, which was under perpetual occupation by the United Kingdom according to the Treaty of Ghent or by traveling through the Canadas. Blessed with a growing population, colonies were being split off from Albion proper, such as Hanover, named for the royal house of King George III as a way to spit in the eye of the Americans. But, expansion came with a price. The resulting expansion would lead to a border conflict with Mexico, which saw Mexico lose a large amount of land (OTL South West minus California) to the colonists after the British Army arrived to re enforce them and the Royal Navy shelled Veracruz.

Rise of the Opposition
It was during the beginning of Crockett's term that the opposition party came into being. The rudderless Federalists were ineffectual at combating the Houstonian Democrats, as were the National Republican faction under the leadership of Henry Clay. The two factions decided to form a coalition party. Despite Clay originally belonging to the Democratic Republicans, Clay shared many ideas with his old enemies the Federalists. Making gains in New England and the upper south, the new political party christened themselves the Liberty Party. The Liberty party’s first presidential election was the 1840 election, and declared their ticket to be John Quincy Adams and Daniel Webster. Adams, the son of the first Federalist president, was a former Democratic Republican and a member of the National Republicans. Webster was a Federalist prior to the merging of parties. The Libertarians did not expect to win, believing that Crockett was too popular. However, Crockett announced that he would not seek another term and that he would be retiring to Tennessee. Panicking, the Democrats ran New York governor Martin Van Buren. The Libertarian party campaigned against the Democrats by rallying against the inaction of the USA during the Mexican Anglo War and said that Crockett’s inaction allowed the British to become more powerful. Anti Anglo sentiment was a powerful force in American politics and it was generally unpopular to support anything the United Kingdom did.

The Liberty Party was popular amongst the merchants, doctors, factory owners, and commercial farmers as opposed to the agrarian Democrats. Adams passed a high tariff against Great Britain as a protest from the recent war in the Americas. One of the greatest accomplishments was the implementation of President Clinton’s dream; the Erie Canal. Beginning in 1842, construction began on the waterway, new machines being designed to remove tree stumps and other obstacles. Called Adams’s Big Ditch, the project would go on for eight years, ending in 1850. In 1844, John Quincy Adams signed a law advocated by Representative Horace Mann that created a national series of schools across the nation. All the schools would have a specific set of academics that would be though, such as mathematics, basic history from Ancient Rome to contemporary times, and grammar. Each state, however, would add additional criteria to the course for their citizens to learn.

While the Federalists and the National Republicans became a powerful new party, the followers of Calhoun’s camp would eventually spin off into a new regional party. Somewhat threatened by the rise of abolitionism in the upper south, the pro slavery fire eaters would declare a new American Party to combat the “twin evils of Abolitionism and the British Empire.” The party would find little support outside the deep south, and was regarded as an extremist branch of the Democrats by many instead of a full on third party.

Road to War: 1841-1857

Americans typically had one view of the United Kingdom: F^%$ them!
The wounds from the War of 1812 still ran deep. They were seen as greedy imperialists who sought to prevent the expansion of the United States.
During Adams term, a certain chill had befallen between the two. Adams was very anti British, which influenced his policy. Trade with Albion was discouraged, and was instead encouraged with the recently abolitionist Texas or Mexico. Adams, due to his popularity, ran successfully for a second term, defeating the Democratic ticket of Martin Van Buren and John Tyler. During the second term, tensions continued to rise. Adams continued to pursue an antagonistic relationship with the British Empire. American citizens regarded the British soldiers stationed in New Orleans with contempt and hatred. It was not unheard of for brawls to happen between American citizens and British regulars. The U.S. Navy continued to expand, coming to equal the royal navy. This alarmed Britain, causing an increased build up in the colonies to protect them. The government in London began to fear another round of fighting was inevitable.

Tragedy struck the nation on February 23rd, 1848 when President Adams died. His vice president Webster took his place. Daniel Webster won the election of 1848, continuing the trend of Liberty Party victories. Webster was not as popular as his predecessor. He was seen as too soft on the British. In truth, Webster simply foresaw a war and determined that it would be better for both nations if it was avoided. In 1849, Webster sent his Secretary of State Thurlow Weed to negotiate the border between Canada and the United States to better define them. However, negotiations broke down and Webster recalled Weed. Believing that he was the best chance to avoid war with the United Kingdom, Webster campaigned vigorously until his death in October, 1852. The Liberty Party, knowing that they had no chance of winning with the death of their candidate so close to the election, simply nominated Webster’s running mate Millard Fillmore and quietly awaited defeat.

The Democrats nominated Tennessee Representative Jefferson Davis. Davis, a popular politician in the upper south, was fully capable of winning the northern electoral votes, especially with his running mate Martin van Buren. Davis promised a hard line against Britain, a fair shake for all Americans, and good times. Davis was well respected in the north after he voluntarily freed his slaves in the late 1840s. Davis (considered a moderate when it came to slavery for much of his career before joining the Abolitionist wing of the Democratic party) appointed his personal friend, a fellow representative Abraham Lincoln (a member of the Liberty Party) to be his Attorney General. Lincoln had befriended Davis while serving in the House together, and Davis thought it would send a message of national unity during the tensions between the United States and the British Empire.

December 9th, 1856

Governor of New Orleans Alfed Rackam, appointed by Her Majesty's government, watched the sunset across the harbor. Just outside the gates of the manor, a massive, writhing crowd was chanting. They were calling for the release of the (American) mayor of the city who was detained for anti British statements.

"Beasts, the lot of them."

"Sir, what are we going to do?"

"Order the crowd to disperse. "

The crowd resisted the orders. Enraged at the arrogance of the British, the crowd surged forward. The British soldiers fired into the crowd. The British regulars came to reinforce the manor and proceeded to slaughter the mob. This sparked outrage on both sides of the Atlantic. Davis sent in three ships to blockade the British in the city. The American army was deployed to the western border.

Any hope of peaceful resolution was dashed when a British ship fired upon the American vessel USS DeWitt Clinton (captained by Ulysses S Grant). The Americans sunk the British vessels. The United Kingdom declared war on the United States of America on February 1st, 1857

U.S. Presidents

1789-1797 George Washington (Independent) 1st

1787-1801 John Adams (Federalist) 2nd

1801-1809 Thomas Jefferson (Democratic Republican)3rd

1809-1817 James Madison (Democratic Republican) 4th

1817-1825 DeWitt Clinton (Federalist) 5th

1825-1827 Rufus King* (Federalist) 6th

1827-1829 Timothy Pickering (Federalist) 7th

1829-1837 Sam Houston (Democrat) 8th

1837-1841 David Crockett (Democrat) 9th

1841-1848 John Quincy Adams* (Libertarian) 10th

1848-1852 Daniel Webster* (Libertarian) 11th

1852-1853 Millard Fillmore (Libertarian) 12th

1853- Jefferson Davis (Democrat) 13th

*Died in Office

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Britain is about to have a hard time in North America, they're not making any friends. Also I really like this idea of all these tiny little republics popping up out west, so atypical of a timeline to have independent states that aren't your standard Texas, California, Confederacy, blah. All these small republics interacting are going to be very interesting moving forward, keep up the good work Odinson.

edit: Also the U.S. military with repeating rifles! Hot damn this'll be interesting.

Last edited:
So, what does everyone want to see in the next update? I'm curious to see what people are interested in!

So, what does everyone want to see in the next update? I'm curious to see what people are interested in!

I'm interested to see what's going on in Europe, pretty much the same as our timeline I'd guess? Also, how has the lack of Manifest destiny changed the demographics of the U.S.? The country is still going to be predominately rural, but, with less land for the taking I'd assume that cities are slightly larger, perhaps because of America's different borders and the inclusion of all these small republics out west small cities in our world might grow to be more important in this world?

I'm interested to see what's going on in Europe, pretty much the same as our timeline I'd guess? Also, how has the lack of Manifest destiny changed the demographics of the U.S.? The country is still going to be predominately rural, but, with less land for the taking I'd assume that cities are slightly larger, perhaps because of America's different borders and the inclusion of all these small republics out west small cities in our world might grow to be more important in this world?
Europe is more or less the same with the exception of a more liberal Bavaria that is beginning to look like a rival for Prussia. European history is going to change drasticly when the revolutions of 1848 roll around. Also, the cities are bigger in this world, but manifest destiny has been put on the back burner while the us is looking for a way to expand. A number of politicians are calling for a war between them and Great Britain to acquire Albion.

Europe is more or less the same with the exception of a more liberal Bavaria that is beginning to look like a rival for Prussia. European history is going to change drasticly when the revolutions of 1848 roll around. Also, the cities are bigger in this world, but manifest destiny has been put on the back burner while the us is looking for a way to expand. A number of politicians are calling for a war between them and Great Britain to acquire Albion.

Germany will be very interesting with Austria, Prussia, AND Bavaria jostling for influence among the smaller states. 1848 is a very interesting subject to me, it's a pivot point in history so I'm interested to see what you do with it.

European Report: 1848 Revolutions
European Report: German States 1848

Excerpt of chapter 12: Aftermath from The Rise of the People by Edward Pizzarro, 1987.

The aftermath of the 1848 revolutions had deeply changed the German confederacy as the years turned from 1848 to 1849, and eventually to 1850. The revolution had a goal of national unity and to promote the ideals of republicanism, and managed to partially succeed.

It is believed that the deciding factor was the support by the King of Bavaria, Ludwig the first. Ludwig, a liberal monarch, was supported by his people and the ständeversammlung when Bavaria intervened in the revolts in the neighboring states.

The Kingdom of Bavaria annexed Frankfurt when the assembly proved to lack true power. Bavaria proceeded to place control over most of the western German states, including Baden all the way to the coast. The only western state that failed to fall to the Bavarians was the Rhineland, for that remained firmly in Prussian control.
End excerpt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Probably not the most detailed, but covering the 1848 revolutions was just so complex, I though doing a cover on the aftermath would hopfuly be good enough.

So Bavaria extends it's control into the Grand Duchy of Baden and the Kingdom of Wurttemberg, I'm assuming that Bavaria has formed some sort of South German Confederation to counter the Prussian led North German Confederation? This could prove interesting and we may see the eventual formation of two Germanies, a North and South. This is going to greatly change European history going forward, the balance of power in Europe is going to change, there's a war coming.

So Bavaria extends it's control into the Grand Duchy of Baden and the Kingdom of Wurttemberg, I'm assuming that Bavaria has formed some sort of South German Confederation to counter the Prussian led North German Confederation? This could prove interesting and we may see the eventual formation of two Germanies, a North and South. This is going to greatly change European history going forward, the balance of power in Europe is going to change, there's a war coming.
You're pretty on the spot, but it's eventually going to become a West German Confederacy vs an East German Confederacy....