ok, this has actually been bugging me for a while and idk why I didn't respond earlier, but I genuinely had no idea there was a rocket concept called Vulcan that early on, I knew about the soviet vulkan and ULA's upcoming vulcan but like I just named the atlas "vulcan" because I thought it'd sound cool so I'm definitely going to go back and just stick with naming it atlas, sorry about the confusion

It's fine actually as not a lot of information is out there on the Convair Vulcan 1/II other than some artwork and illustrations. I can see Convair going with Vulcan, specifically if the "original Atlas" (five to seven engine designs) got a bit further before it downsized.

Randy

Atlas has gone through so many designs, it'll be really interesting to see what comes out of your timeline. Super stoked to see it!

Chapter 5 - 2^2
2^2

1000 miles above the Earth, A 100 Foot wide sphere of Mylar shimmers in the sunlight revealing its Presence to the world. This is “Echo 1”, The first Passive Communications satellite. Just hours before, It would be launched into orbit of the earth on the maiden flight of the Thor-Delta Launch Vehicle, A Flight which nearly went terribly wrong when the Delta stage almost failed to ignite its engines, Nearly sending Echo 1 into the Atlantic. The satellite’s function was the first of its kind, Relay communications across the planet by bouncing signals off its surface. Once it had been successfully deployed into its Orbit, It began to inflate with an internal gas supply. On earth, the testing to fully inflate Echo 1 required over 15,000kg of gas, But in space, it only needed a few kilograms due to the pressure difference. But The Satelloon’s only job wasn’t just bouncing signals, Due to its large surface area, it was used to measure the thickness of the atmosphere at high altitudes through atmospheric drag. In the coming months, Echo-1 would be used to transmit multitudes of Signals, Phone calls and TV Broadcasts, Proving the capability of Passive Communication. Naturally, as soon as this was proven the US Military wanted to See what they could do with it. Perhaps using a swarm of them to Triangulate the position of an ICBM To tell where it is, And the more ideas got thrown around the more appealing Active communications looked, Prompting them to begin designing potential Active communications satellites to aid with missile location and helping aid in locating submarines. There are of course public applications too, The possibility of satellite technology advancing enough to allow thousands of uplinks and downlinks a second could permit the existence of a more accurate version of such a satellite positioning system, and one that was available to the general public.

For the past year, the Soviet Union had been hard at work on preparing their 2 Mars probes, Creatively called Mars 1 and Mars 2. And now the planets have aligned, The transfer window to mars Opens, and they ready their launchers for the boost to the red planet. The two of them would launch on the Molniya Rocket, A Modified R7-Semyorka with 4 Stages that would later be used to launch the satellites of the same name, Molniya.
Mars 1 would launch early in the evening of October 10th, And would narrowly avoid total mission failure due to excessive vibrations during launch. Shortly after getting into orbit, it would perform its Trans-Mars Injection. Mars 2 would launch almost exactly 4 days later and would boost itself onto a Mars flyby set to happen early next year.

In the wake of the Pilot disaster last May, The USAF Was looking for ways to carry the NOTS-EV-2 Into space better, Preferably without crew on board, Or at least a way to make it safer. This would come in the form of NOTS-EV-2, A More aerodynamic version of the previous NOTS-EV-1 Sporting special new fins and a new Ignition mechanism, Separation and Ignition are now separate from one other, allowing the Pilot of the X-15 To maneuver before sending the signal for ignition. The X-15’s Attachment points would also be improved to stay strong longer to prevent another incident. Along with the improved safety features the Solid rocket motors would be improved to provide more thrust and in turn, more payload to orbit, Allowing quick launching of Reconnaissance satellites weighing under 8kg into specific orbits if there is a specific target that needs to be photographed as soon as possible. Unfortunately, technology is not sufficient yet to allow such light Reconnaissance satellites, however, it can launch other special missions such as material exposure tests and potentially Kinetic weapons akin to ICBMs, But using the sheer force of impact as a weapon instead of Explosives. Hopefully, the time never comes for such weapons to be used.
Its maiden launch would be carried out on January 11th 1961 yet again on the belly of the X-15, This time with Navy pilot John McKay flying it up through the beginning of the Mesosphere, Where at an apogee of around 46 Miles he would Release the NOTS-EV-2, Slowly falling away from under the plane. A light in his cabin lit up announcing that it had successfully separated and was ready for activation. With the flick of a lever, the signal was sent to the still-nearby NOTS-EV-2 and its Solid Rocket motors activated, propelling it forwards and upwards as it would make its way through the thin upper atmosphere and towards orbital velocity. As the PILOT was on its path to orbit, McKay would have to bring the X-15 Back down for a landing, The first attempted landing of the USAF X-15 Program since William Knight’s fatal crash the previous year. All would be well and the landing would be performed without Too much of an issue. It was one of the better landings of the USAF X-15 And would certify that it was ready to return to full operations.

Over in the soviet union, Another 2 spacecraft would launch, This time to Venus. Launching on the same rocket as their Mars-bound twins just 4 months earlier, the Molniya 8K78. Venera 1 would launch just before dawn, Its trail gradually illuminated more and more the higher up it went. Once in orbit, its Trans-Venusian injection was performed with no issues, Venera 2 would launch 8 days later a few hours past midnight. The launch would successfully place it in orbit with Venera 2’s TVI occurring shortly after. The path to Venus was long, In their present spaceflight terms at least. Over 3 months, each second further from the Earth than any active craft ever before it, Subject to the full brunt of the solar wind, and intensifying radiation as their orbits carry them closer and closer to Sol and Venus. However, The Intensified heating caused unintended side effects. The Venera probes used a mix of Unsymmetrical Dimethylhydrazine and RFNA for fuel, And as the probes trudged on through interplanetary space, Systems slowly began to fail. Not because of the sun, Just natural technological failures. Just over a month into Venera 2’s coast, One of her internal Fans broke leading to a slight temperature increase over the next few days. Usually, this wouldn’t be an issue, The other fans can pick up the slack. At least they should’ve been able to, Prior to the fan breaking, the Temperature sensor began to malfunction causing incorrect temperature readings lower than the true values, Venera 2 thought everything was fine, But her insides were near-boiling. This all culminated on March 23 when Venera 2 had overheated to the point of failure, Losing contact with the earth and leaving Twin probe Venera 1 all alone on her voyage to Earth’s So-called Twin.

Time was almost up for America to beat the Soviets to space. On March 25 1961 the USSR launched “Korabl-Sputnik 5”, The last test flight of the Vostok spacecraft before their Manned launch into orbit. It wasn’t uncrewed though, On it was a Dog named Zvyozdochka and a Mannequin jokingly named Ivan Ivanovich. The flight would last just over 100 minutes before Landing, where the Mannequin would be used to test the Ejector seat for the crewed flights. During the time spent orbiting, Transmissions were also sent back to earth. These included a Choir of people singing to display this was not a crewed launch, And a recipe for Borscht being read as if being made in real-time. The successful ending of this flight would cement Vostok’s ability. And they had set a date for their next flight, And the lucky cosmonaut. April 11 1961, Yuri Gagarin.

Last edited:
The Soviets are getting bold, and I appreciate the reference to their boldness in the chapter's title. Great stuff today, glad to see Pilot is moving forward once again. But I wonder what goal it is serving? How very curious indeed. Looking forward to the next one.

I'm incredibly sorry for taking so long to come out with the next chapter, Clearly, I have put my schedule too tight, I mean 3 chapters a week? no clue what I was thinking. Chapter 6 will come out when it's ready, Along with a revised schedule. for your patience, unknown number of viewers, the name of the next chapter is 108 Minutes. I promise to get it out as soon as possible

I'm incredibly sorry for taking so long to come out with the next chapter, Clearly, I have put my schedule too tight, I mean 3 chapters a week? no clue what I was thinking. Chapter 6 will come out when it's ready, Along with a revised schedule. for your patience, unknown number of viewers, the name of the next chapter is 108 Minutes. I promise to get it out as soon as possible
No pressure, make sure you write as it comes to you, you have all the time in the world! We will be here, eager to see it, when you're ready.

Chapter 6 - 108 Minutes
108 Minutes

Just Past Noon on the 30th of March 1961 a Keyhole satellite launches from Vandenberg Air Force Base on a Thor-Agena rocket bound for a Polar trajectory. At the same time 240km away at Edwards Air force base, Preparations were underway for the next X-15 Pilot flight. This Keyhole satellite was not aimed just as a Spy satellite though, It was extended slightly to allow for a special communications module and small solar panels to keep it charged. Once its Reconnaissance mission is completed and the photos are returned to earth, The remaining parts of “Discovery 22” would remain in orbit and be used as a target for the NOTS-EV-2 Anti-Satellite Test. A Previous test using a backup Echo Satelloon would successfully strike the target, But to verify its use, smaller targets must be used. Most satellites aren’t 40 meters across. 3 days after launch the Film canister would separate from Discovery and perform its Deorbit burn, Over at Edwards the B-52 Skyfortress was ready to take off as soon as the signal was given. Just before Sunset, it’s given the go ahead and starts its engines, taxis to the runway and Takes off, X-15 and NOTS-EV-2 Along for the ride. The X-15 Separates as the sky turns a brilliant crimson, igniting its rocket engine and boosting off into the sunset. Near apogee the Pilot waits for the right time to launch the NOTS-EV-2, And when the time strikes. “Separation confirmed”
NOTS-EV-2 Fires off out of view, its solid rocket motors screaming into the night sky until it disappears from sight on its track to intercept Discoverer 22. Racing towards it at incredible speeds, The ASAT Makes it to orbit and with its trajectory, should impact D22 in mere minutes. The USAF Ground stations carefully listen for its signal to abruptly cease
The signal drones on, At its steady pace. Unincumbered by any atmosphere, Unwavering, Calm. Interrupted, By a silence. The joyful destruction of Discoverer 22, Shattering both of them into thousands of tiny pieces scattered across low earth orbit for years, even decades to come.

Over 50,000,000km away from the Earth, Mars 1 is approaching Its namesake world, Alongside its twin spacecraft “Mars 2” lagging just a few days behind. As that small red dot grew ever larger, ever closer in the sky, The spacecraft began to prepare for the encounter.
The 2 probes were identical, using the 1MV Probe base, the same that Venera 1 and 2 used. A 2-meter tall cylinder with a high-gain antenna 2.3 Meters wide mounted on it to call back to earth and receive signals. As Mars looms ever closer the useful scientific data begins to roll in, Full-disc images showing mars’ terrain as a wild motley of valleys and mountains and flatlands, Mars had been caught during its spring, Their massive Polar caps of frozen carbon dioxide and water ice stretch wide across the planet, with a massive canyon visible, like a scar across this hurt world's face. This canyon would be named Циолковская долина (Tsiolkovsky Valley) after Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Creator of the Tsiolkovsky Equation which would pave the way for Rocketry and Space exploration as a whole.
The two probes drifted ever closer to the red planet, the returned imagery both shattering the dreams of even a mildly habitable world and captivating the imagination of everyone, a truly alien world where the soil is rust and dirt and the sunsets are an ominous blue in the sky, with 2 small moons that sadly would not be imaged. But all was not well, Mars 2 seemed to be falling closer to the planet than intended, And losing its attitude lock. During the Midcourse corrections that would throw the two probes on their way, One of Mars 2’s attitude control engines had a small, almost undetectable amount of residual thrust every time it fired that ended up pushing Mars 2 just that tiny bit closer to the surface, and now it was on a trajectory to fall into the atmosphere and burn up. As soon as this was realised a race began to try and get as much data back as possible, Unfortunately by the time the probe had wandered close enough for the atmosphere to take its toll, only a fraction of Mars 2’s data could be retrieved and sent back to earth.
Her attitude control thrusters would begin to fire, keeping her antenna facing earth for as long as possible before the forces outside would no longer permit it. The rapidly increasing wind rushes around as her body is engulfed in a fireball of plasma from the sheer speed of atmospheric entry. The solar panels would snap off from the main body, sending her into an uncontrollable spin. The surface is breached, Within moments the heat from the plasma rushes through her insides thoroughly cooking all the instruments, And under a second later she would break apart into a shower of debris raining across the martian surface.
Though it wasn’t intended, Mars 2 would become the first man-made object to impact the surface of another planet. Just not in one piece.
Mars 1 would fully transmit the rest of its data, giving us a new understanding of the planet which lay beside us. Although Mars 2 had not entirely succeeded, it did give us insights into the atmosphere itself, Its rough thickness and height, Allowing for proper planning to begin on a Lander. But it would not be easy.

The very next day at the Baikonur launch complex, a new rocket had wandered onto one of the launch pads. This is Vostok 1, The rocket that shall carry either Yuri Gagarin or Gherman Titov into orbit, The first person in space.
The day before the launch on April 11th measurements on Yuri and Gherman’s physical state would be conducted, clearing both of them for flight, Yuri as the main pilot and Gherman as the backup in case Yuri has an issue and cannot fly. The night would pass with little event, The two Soon-to-be Cosmonauts talking about their lives while listening to music, Though neither of them nor the Chief designer and CapCom Sergei Korolev would sleep well, How could they? In under 24 hours, a man would fly to space strapped to hundreds of tons of kerosene and liquid oxygen, and if something were to go wrong up there, nobody would be able to help them.
before the launch, Yuri would say this: “I Would like to dedicate this first spaceflight to the people of communism, a society in which our Soviet people are already entering, and which, I am confident, All men on earth will enter. It is a matter of minutes now before the start, I say to you goodbye dear friends, just as people say to each other when setting out on a long journey. I would like very much to embrace you all, people known and unknown to me, close friends and strangers alike.”
Just before 6 am the two pilots were woken up, given breakfast and sent to the launch site where they would both put on their spacesuits. Yuri would enter the Vostok 1 capsule 2 hours before launch and wait for the time to pass. And once they had, at 8:07 am the rocket would ignite its engines, lifting Yuri Gagarin upwards into the cloudless sky
Korolev: “We wish you a good flight, Everything is alright”
Yuri: “Let’s Go!”
As the Vostok rocket climbs further and further up, it begins to pitch over to gain sideways velocity to reach orbit. Exactly 2 minutes after launch the side boosters detach from the rocket, falling aside into the iconic “Korolev Cross” Shortly after that as the atmosphere thins enough outside, the payload shroud is jettisoned, letting Yuri see through the window. Just 2 and a half minutes after that, 5 minutes after launch, Vostok 1 jettisons the core stage, although they would not know for certain at the time. Through the window, Yuri could see the earth from a perspective never before seen with human eyes, The rolling clouds, the arid landscape giving way to the snowy wastes of Siberia. “The flight is continuing well. I can see the Earth. The visibility is good... I almost see everything. There's a certain amount of space under cumulus cloud cover. I continue the flight, everything is good”. The final stage breaks away from the rocket, Placing Yuri Gagarin firmly in orbit, The first human to ever reach Space, And an Orbit of the Earth. He passes over the Kamchatka peninsula, drifting above the Pacific Ocean at incredible speed. The next few minutes would see him flying above the Hawaiian islands during sunset, the light glistening around the silhouetted islands, onwards to the southern hemisphere. It was now that they finally got the news that Orbit had been successfully achieved. The experience of Zero gravity was a strange one, No forces weighing you down, free to float. At least you would be if there was any space in the capsule. As the Vostok 1 Capsule drifted over the western coast of Africa, Specifically Angola’s coast, The retrorockets would fire, slowing the craft down enough to allow it to enter the atmosphere and safely land back on earth. Moments after they fired, a signal was sent to the Service module to detach it, But it would not. It remained attached to the Reentry module due to a small bundle of tangled wires, As soon as it began to hit the thicker parts of the atmosphere it would start to aggressively jostle as the craft passed over Egypt and the eastern edge of the Mediterranean sea, Vostok would tumble briefly before the wires burnt through, engulfed by plasma and flames, allowing the reentry module to right itself and perform its stable reentry. After a peak deceleration of 10G, the Capsule drifts towards the surface of the earth, around 30km from the town of Engels the door to Vostok would burst open, and Yuri Gagarin was ejected out to parachute to the surface separately. Yuri Gagarin had become the first person to reach space, And the first to return alive.
This achievement would not be unmatched, however. A mere 25 days later America would be ready to launch their own mission, Though less ambitious, Being a simple suborbital jump, It would still show that the US was able to send someone into space and back, This mission was Mercury-Redstone 3.

Yo, so this is just a question for any readers, What would you like to see from this timeline? This may or may not influence things, but no guarantees. Just curious for what y'all would like to see

Yo, so this is just a question for any readers, What would you like to see from this timeline? This may or may not influence things, but no guarantees. Just curious for what y'all would like to see

Considering the use of the X-15 I'd like to see a plausible X-15B but I'm not looking for miracles :) Considering the background seems to be about the same they the US is headed for the Moon and the Soviets still have no real incentive to do more than play to their current strengths and continue to grab the "low hanging fruit" firsts that are going to continue to embarrass the Americans till they get serious.

Randy

I would love to see you have a ton of fun with this timeline, and explore the various ways that this can take shape! I think you have a really solid start with the two programs, and I feel as though you can really start to consider some internal competition as we explore further. Would you consider creating your own astronauts, or going with those who came to be in real life? Very excited all around!

I would love to see you have a ton of fun with this timeline, and explore the various ways that this can take shape! I think you have a really solid start with the two programs, and I feel as though you can really start to consider some internal competition as we explore further. Would you consider creating your own astronauts, or going with those who came to be in real life? Very excited all around!
I think i'll stick with entirely real astronauts until maybe the mid 80s or 90s, As it stands right now theres plenty to choose from

Considering the use of the X-15 I'd like to see a plausible X-15B but I'm not looking for miracles :) Considering the background seems to be about the same they the US is headed for the Moon and the Soviets still have no real incentive to do more than play to their current strengths and continue to grab the "low hanging fruit" firsts that are going to continue to embarrass the Americans till they get serious.

Randy
Oh we're definitely getting some earlier spaceplane action, Chapter 3 was not the last we'll see of spearhead.
And I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how the US USSR Space race will play out, Its not entirely obvious as of now, but in the coming chapters it'll diverge from reality real fast

80% Chance a new chapter is coming out in the next few hours i hope y'all will like it :D we're really getting into the interesting parts now

Chapter 7 - Clouded Minds
Clouded Minds

Mercury Redstone 3 was preparing to launch, The pilot for this flight would be Alan Shepard, Beginning the day of the launch with a breakfast of Steak and Eggs with Toast, Orange juice and Coffee. Getting into the Mercury capsule at a quarter past 5 to await the launch at 7 am, Which would soon be delayed to 9 am to allow for the weather to clear up
The mercury capsule has a rather unique design, A Conical shape starting 180 centimetres wide at the base with a heat shield mounted on it, tapering inwards the higher up you look until it leads into a cylinder containing 3 parachutes for landing, Mounted on top of that is the Antenna section, which is rather self-explanatory, Containing the communication antennas. Strapped to the heat shield is the Retrockpack, made to slow down the capsule prior to reentry. Inside the capsule, there was a Pure Oxygen atmosphere around 1/3 the Pressure of the atmosphere at sea level, The craft was also fitted with an ejector seat to be used in an emergency in the seconds after launch, Hopefully these would never need to be used. The coming minutes would tell if they were indeed necessary.
As the weather cleared, The final checks would be completed, and the rocket was Go for launch.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Ignition. The Redstone booster’s Singular Rocketdyne A-7 would lift the entire 30,000kg Rocket, Along with the Mercury capsule up away from the surface, 16 seconds after ignition the rocket begins to Pitch over slowly to a 45 degree angle over 25 seconds, Maximum Aerodynamic Pressure ( Known as Max-Q ) being reached just over 40 seconds later.
2 Minutes 20 seconds into flight the engine would shut off, Having completed its task the command is sent to detach the Abort tower, And separate the capsule, With small rocket engines firing to detach the two of them, Friendship 7 rotating around to view the Booster, And the Floridian Coast silently drifting across the window
Time up here was limited though, Under 3 minutes later the command would be given to Alan that it was time to fire the retrocket, Which promptly flared to life and pushed him into his seat, just 10 minutes ago he was firmly on the ground bound by earth’s gravity, just 5 minutes he was pushing against it, And now Earth is pulling him back down, Accelerating almost 10m/s every single second, In just a few moments his capsule would slam into the atmosphere, engulfed in plasma with no way out should something go wrong, These thoughts were quickly interrupted with a clunk sound as the Retropack jettisoned, leaving the heat shield fully exposed for reentry. Outside the window the dark, foreboding abyss of space would give way to a deep harrowing crimson as what little air was outside was being condensed and heated to a bright glow, The capsule detected deceleration was beginning and began to roll the capsule to disperse the heat easier, The sun whirling its light around the capsule, now barely visible through the bright oranges and reds scraping against the window. As the bright colours of the plasma faded, and the comforting blue of our atmosphere washed across the capsule, The drogue parachute would deploy, safely slowing him down even further. The landing bag deploys, pushing the heat shield down as the “air snorkel” deploys, letting the outside atmosphere into the cabin. He had done it. The first american to see the sights of space, the rolling clouds over the Bahamas, the beautiful fury of reentering the atmosphere, and the joy of returning safely to the Earth.

Just a few weeks after Alan Shepard’s successful spaceflight, The President of the United States, John F. Kennedy, Would give a speech before congress, It reads as follows “I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish. We propose to accelerate the development of the appropriate lunar spacecraft. We propose to develop alternate liquid and solid fuel boosters, much larger than any now being developed, until certain which is superior. We propose additional funds for other engine development and for unmanned explorations. explorations which are particularly important for one purpose which this nation will never overlook: the survival of the man who first makes this daring flight. But in a very real sense, it will not be one man going to the Moon, if we make this judgement affirmatively, it will be an entire nation. For all of us must work to put him there”. It was official, America would shoot for the moon. But the soviets wouldn’t be far behind

One thing the soviets were certainly ahead at was Unmanned exploration. Having sent 2 probes to Mars, (Accidentally) Sending the first impactor to another planet, And sending the first probes to Venus, Which are mere hours away from their closest approach. Although it was only at a distance of 60,000km This would still permit a decent amount of data to be gained. For one, this world once hoped to be flourishing with life, A world full of rainforests and lakes concealed behind a veil of clouds, Was revealed to be a hellscape, incapable of having any life at all living on it. An atmosphere not of oxygen and water vapour, But of Carbon Dioxide and Sulphur, The surface so hot that the molten sulphur that rains from the sky can’t even reach the surface before evaporating, Surface pressure so immense that the foolhardiest crafts would buckle under the weight of the air around it, This is a forsaken world, One that feels like it was never meant to be known about, That we’d be better off in ignorance. This world has no moons, It is far too close to the sun for any to stick with it, And its surface is immensely flat, It may have had plate tectonics at one point in the past, along with oceans and maybe even life, But those days are long gone. The very atmosphere of this planet would have eventually choked anything that may have been living there, Now nothing remains of what may have been there. Just a charred, molten world who’s exploration must be confined to uncrewed robotic probes, sent off to die. Planning would begin on a mission, Venera 3 Would be an entry probe, To peer underneath the cloud tops for as long as it could handle, Venera 4 would be a lander, Along with Venera 5. These worlds will become known to us, no matter the struggles.

It was time for Gus Grissom’s turn in space, A mission largely similar to Alan’s, But what was notable is that this would be the last American crewed spaceflight until Mercury-Vulcan 4, In which John Glenn would become the first American in orbit.
As the Redstone rocket yet again flared to life, Gus was propelled into a suborbital trajectory, Almost exactly the same path as the previous, The flight would go fantastically until before the landing, Just after the Air snorkel deployed, An odd banging sound would be heard in the capsule. Though what this was would not be apparent for just under a minute, when the door to the capsule shot off into the distance due to a misfire. The recovery helicopters, Flying towards the visible parachute reported seeing a small object fly away from the capsule, striking the ocean
1660377370791.png
shortly after, Gus inside the capsule could not use anything inside to block the hatch, meaning he would have to get out and swim once landing to not be dragged to the sea floor when the capsule begins to fill with sea water. Luckily, he had not taken his suit off yet, the air inside would give him some extra buoyancy.
As the capsule splashed down it immediately began to flood water inside, Gus getting out and swimming alongside it in hopes that the recovery helicopters would see.
It would take a few minutes for the helicopters to arrive, at which time the capsule was already deep below the waves. When they did arrive, The pilot of the helicopter, George Cox, promptly tossed the Lifeline down to Gus, who quickly wrapped himself into it.
Despite this near-misses with disaster across the mission, Gus Grissom would become the 2nd American to reach space and return alive.

Back in the soviet union, Vostok 2 would launch, This time crewed with Gherman Titov, Who at just 25 years old would fly into orbit. The launch would go well, With nothing out of the ordinary occurring, At least until Gherman tried to eat one of the onboard meals, He would be the first victim of “Space Sickness”, Essentially motion sickness caused by the sensation of weightlessness. Gherman would also take the first photos of earth from space by a human, And be the first to fall asleep in space. Once his 24 hours in space were up, The reentry operation would be performed. However, the Service module would not separate from the crew capsule, Causing them both to shake violently while entering the atmosphere, Thankfully the service module was not made with the same heat considerations as the crew capsule allowing for the intense heat of the atmospheric plasma brushing against its metallic skin to burn through it and the wires connecting the two parts of the spacecraft, After which the crew capsule stabilised and the rest of the landing went off without a hitch, Gherman ejecting out of the spacecraft and parachuting to the ground separately, just as planned.

The previous ASAT Test performed by the United States Air Force would not go unnoticed by the many countries of the world. In the USSR Plans were being discussed on how to counter any possible American anti-satellite attacks, with most considerations being impossible to perform, No amount of shielding that could be placed on a satellite at the time would be able to stop an impact at orbital velocities, Wilder options such as intercepting an ASAT Vehicle before impact were considered, but were deemed too unlikely to succeed, at least until better manoeuvring systems were developed. There is one idea however, that went strangely unthought of. Just don’t get hit! Some details on the Pilot ASAT Vehicle were known to the Soviets, The most crucial of which being the payload mass. No more than 10kg could be placed into orbit, That’s too small for a true Manoeuvring system to be implemented, And this is where the USSR’s Zenit satellites come in handy. It is a Vostok Derived Spy Satellite mission, And so launches on the same Vostok rockets, Having first launched in October. If the design could be simplified and lightened slightly, there would be space to add small solid rocket motors which could move the satellite if ever targeted by an ASAT.
Or, instead of simplifying the design, A better rocket could be used. A new spacecraft program was being developed known as Voskhod, And it was accompanied by its own more powerful rocket, The development of this rocket could be accelerated to allow for no gap between the Vulnerable Zenits and the New Zenits. Korolev especially advocated for this, As it would free up the Vostok pad for more frequent Crew launches.

Amidst all this discussion about Space weaponry, A Concept for a rocket which could easily be mistaken as one would be put forth for review. Its name was Superraket, A Massive rocket larger than any rocket ever built before, With a unique design quirk about it. It was nuclear. The upper stage of this rocket would use Nuclear Engines to propel its payload further and further. Though this rocket was out of scope for current technology, It would prompt investigation into a larger rocket, One to be designated as the N1

Meanwhile, The USAF Had their own plans brewing, Still bitter about their defeat at the hands of NASA’S Gemini program, work would continue on Spearhead in secret, Small scale models of them being tested in wind tunnels to verify aerodynamic stability, Work on a new launcher for it, and possible operations. They had ended up with a pitch for 2 spaceplanes, Both under the Spearhead title. These would be named “Constitution” and “Independence”. Independence would, fittingly, Be strictly a LEO Operations craft, Having a passive docking port and advanced Rendezvous systems, As well as 2 seats, A dedicated Airlock/Docking port and a Small cargo bay, Capable of bringing a few hundred kilos Up and Down. Constitution would be fitted with an Active docking port, Allowing it to dock at a station concept still in the works called Fletcher. Constitution would have slightly simpler rendezvous systems, And no cargo bay, The space being used as extra crew and system space, To allow for longer flights docked to Fletcher. The station has a unique design as well, it is what is known as A Wet workshop. Once its carrier rocket had reached orbit it would drain any remaining fuel, And fill with an Oxygen atmosphere in preparation for the crew to arrive and get everything into order. It would have 5 sections to it, Each under 2m Tall. The Airlock at the “Base” of the station, Leading to outside where handles would be placed on the sides of the station for easy traversal around the 2 Solar panels powering the station. Next is The Laboratory for Science experiments, The Reconnaissance Base, where cameras would be controlled to look at the earth below, The crew area filled with Personal compartments and Beds, and the Docking/Storage module. The station would be fitted with a Passive docking port, letting Constitution to dock. This docking port imbalance would also allow Constitution and Independence to Dock together, allowing for in-space crew transfers.
1660377425941.png
The heat shields on the space planes would be a brand new state of the art technology, Consisting of specialised heat-tiles that could be reused and refurbished after every mission, Capable of withstanding the full brunt of the atmospheric plasma. And just in case any tiles are damaged during launch, or other phases of the missions, The spaceplane’s skin would be a strong metal alloy known as Rene 41, The same as used on the Mercury capsule.
The spaceplanes would be launched on a modified Titan II with Solid rocket motors on the side to give it the push it needs to get off the launchpad.
This idea, This design, All the testing done on it, Would not be pointless, For the USAF Would officially gain the funding it needed to bring Spearhead, And Fletcher to life.

Vostok 3 would launch around midday crewed with Andriyan Nikolayev, With Vladimir Komarov launching the next day on Vostok 4 into a similar orbit to 3, This was the first Simultaneous spaceflight ever performed. The 2 craft would frequently communicate with each other. Their spaceflights would both last around 3 and a half days, Tests being performed frequently to make sure that Humans can function efficiently during long periods of spaceflight. This mission would lay the foundations for longer and longer spaceflights, putting the Moon firmly in the realm of possibility

And these Lunar dreams would not subside, The United States had a new lunar exploration program, One named Ranger. This would be a fleet of Lunar Impactors, taking photos of the moon on their journey to their regolith graves. Ranger 1 was launched a few months earlier, though it would not reach the moon, Issues had emerged with the Agena stage, a defective gyroscope had caused it to begin rotating uncontrollably, Forcing the fuel inside the tanks to be pushed to the edges of the tank due to the Centrifugal force they would experience, causing the fuel to be unable to drain into the engines, Stranding the spacecraft in a low earth orbit, Quickly deorbiting in just a few weeks. The Launch of Ranger 2 had gone much more successfully, After a thorough pre-flight test of all systems and components. And now it was on its way to the moon. It had no specific landing site, Just a simple Impact somewhere on the moon. After launch it had been found that its impact site would be within 50km of the Crater Aristarchus. During the long coast to the Moon, many observations would be performed, Doppler tests and Gamma Ray Spectroscopy, In the final few minutes more and more experiments would happen, The Radar Altimeter would report the distance to the lunar surface while the Video camera would take images of the surface far below, and it would continue to for as long as it could. Racing towards the grayscale terrain scratched with canyons and scarps, dotted with craters and mountains, Though an immense contrast with Earth’s varying blues and greens and whites, It was still a beautiful view.
The final image transmitted by Ranger 3 would be taken just 450 metres above the surface, Though you couldn’t tell it from an image taken 45 Kilometres up, its terrain a fractal of pockmarks and craters down to the millimetre. She would never finish transmitting its last image though, Colliding with the surface after just over half the image was sent. Ranger 3 shall forever rest in the rocks of Aristarchus.

Just a month after Ranger 3’s impact, The Soviet Union would try to send another probe to the moon’s surface, Though the intent was not an impact, But a landing. Luna 5 would be sent all the way to the moon from Baikonur Cosmodrome, Where just above the surface, retrorockets on the main probe bus would fire, slowing it down, at which point the lander would separate from the bus and bounce across the surface, before settling and deploying its systems. Unfortunately it would not succeed at first, The retrorockets had failed to fire, The lander still separated as planned but the impact velocity was too high and damaged the systems, It was unknown if it had landed successfully as no signals were ever received, but it is certainly possible that it survived, just barely.
These Luna missions would signify the Soviet’s dreams of exploration, While Vostok would show their ambition of human spaceflight. America had been lagging behind in terms of both types of space exploration, But behind closed doors there was more progress than visible on the outside, at least for now. Soon these hidden programs would be revealed, And all of humanity’s sights would be set on mankind taking more and more steps into the cosmic ocean.

Last edited:
How many words do you guys think would be good for each chapter? This one was real long, over 3000 words and i'm worried it might be a bit much, Do you guys want like 1.5k or 2k or like 3k, I don't want to write anything thats too uncomfortable to read

The fast track to uprated titans is really interesting to see, I wonder how lessons learned from Titan's SRM program will feed into other fields across your storyline. Very good chapter as always, Singularity!

Chapter 8 - Dreams of Artemis
Dreams of Artemis

The failure of Luna 5 had been a deep wound for the soviet union, as most of their missions to the moon have failed one way or another hope was starting to be lost by those working in the soviet space programme, though they would not give up. On the morning of January 6 1962, Luna 6 launched from her pad at Baikonur, racing up into the sky in the hopes to reach the moon’s surface and report back. The moon looming nearby would be a glorious sight to see, especially when you’re racing towards its surface at incredible speeds as it slowly takes up more and more of the sky the spacecraft orients herself to prepare for landing, her retrorockets sputtering trying their best to slow her down, an issue emerged though, Luna 6 was pointed the wrong direction. The targeted landing site was Oceanus Procellarum, a large mare on the western side of the moon large enough that it had earned its title of ocean as opposed to sea. But this led to an issue where it was straddling the limb of the moon, and this was not taken into account, leading to Luna 6 pointing a few degrees off target. Though a tiny amount of difference, it would mean that she would not slow down enough, just a short while later she would crash into the moon at unsurvivable speeds, ending the dream that Luna 6 would become the first artificial object to safely rest on the surface of another celestial body, and giving the Americans the chance to plant their own lander.

Though their landers were not ready yet, over a year away from launching, they did have something else planned. Mercury-Vulcan 6. This would not match the Soviets in terms of space capabilities, but it would bring the Americans a step closer.
It was a clear day, around 10:45am when the words would be uttered, “Godspeed, John Glenn”, And the rocket came alive, John Glenn being propelled in his capsule towards orbital velocity, piercing through the atmosphere layer by layer, leaving a trail of smoke behind as he is accelerated faster than all but only 4 people had ever been.
2 minutes into flight the booster engines cut off, dropping away from the body of the craft. Vulcan had a unique design, where all 3 engines would be ignited on the ground, with the central “sustainer engine” firing low until the booster engines separate. Along with this, the rocket uses a “balloon tank” to store its fuel, containing almost no structural support and giving the rocket a very low dry mass, but causing a multitude of failures if the tank is punctured or loses pressure. Despite these risks, the rocket launch is executed perfectly. The launch escape tower separates, and as the rocket pitches over closer to horizontal, John gets his first view of the horizon. The thin, delicate band of horizon hugging the surface of blues and greens and wispy white clouds scattered across the ocean far below. The posigrade rockets fire, separating the capsule from the rocket, now drifting away behind him.
Floating above the canary islands and the continent of Africa, he witnesses an orbital sunset. As the sun disappears beyond the horizon, the pitch black sky begins to come to life as stars slowly appear above the beautiful gradient from the atmosphere, an incredibly thin line going from a bright orange to a deep blue. After floating over the city of Perth and the entirety of Australia, he sees strange lights hovering around the spacecraft, swirling around the surrounding space, glistening. A short bang on the capsule wall would show these to be specks of water ice coming from systems venting on the craft. Back on the ground in Mercury control, a strange indication would be revealed, indicating that the landing bag has deployed. If it indeed had, it would be a disastrous, possibly fatal event, keeping the heat shield attached to the main spacecraft only by the straps of the retropack, it was hoped this was just an error, but there was no way to actually look outside and see.
The decision had been made to initiate reentry after just 3 orbits, and keep the retropack strapped to the heat shield to hold it in place, in case the landing bag was deployed. The retrorockets fired, pushing the mercury capsule into a suborbital trajectory, and as it entered the atmosphere the plasma buildup engulfed the capsule, breaking apart the retropack and banging against the cabin walls. As communication was regained with Friendship 7, and John deployed the landing bag, it became evident that the light was indeed an error. Friendship 7 splashed down a few minutes later in the north Atlantic, bringing an end to the first American crewed orbital spaceflight.
This flight would be followed up with Mercury-Vulcan 7 with Scott Carpenter, named Aurora 7 which would launch just a few months later

The USSR still remained firmly ahead in terms of crewed spaceflight, and this would be demonstrated once again with Vostok 5 and 6, a double crewed spaceflight similar to Vostok 3 and 4. One major difference though, The pilot of Vostok 6, Valentina Tereshkova, was a Woman. As well as a closer rendezvous being achieved, A mere 1km distant this time due to the incredible accuracy of the orbital insertion burn. This almost perfect flight would mark the end of the Vostok program, and work on Voskhod would go full steam ahead, with a first launch targeted for November 1963.

Launching during the dead of night, Venera 3 would be sent on its way to Venus. An atmospheric entry probe, designed to take advanced measurements on the Venusian atmosphere and cloud deck. When it finally arrives in December of the very same year, it would plunge into Venus, with no plans of returning. It isn't even designed to reach the surface, with its pressure limit being only 10 atmospheres, and the Venusian atmosphere known to be at least 50

The USAF Had some interesting plans in terms of rockets, the spearhead spaceplane was still planned to launch on a modified titan rocket, but more power would be needed to launch the fletcher space station. For this a new launcher would be needed, and this launcher would be the Vulcan II, a mix between the Vulcan rocket that launched the orbital mercury missions and the still in development Saturn V. Its first stage having 2 F-1 engines, and its second stage having the experimental 1 J-2 engine, this simple two stage rocket would be launched from Vandenberg usually, and be capable of lifting 28,000kg to a 275km orbit, and 23,950kg to a 275km polar orbit, the very same as planned for fletcher. In addition to this it could carry 5000kg to the moon, allowing for heavier landers than ever launched before, and even 2,800kg to Mars! It had been in development for quite a while, and it was finally time for its maiden launch. A new pad had been constructed at Vandenberg to allow for this massive rocket to launch, weighing in at 650,000kg.

“All systems Go on Vulcan II”

“We are go for ignition of Stage One”

“Prep for stage one ignition in 5, 4”

The very ground would rumble as the internal mechanisms of the engines flared to life, a plume of smoke emerging from the rocket, and the fuel begins to burn and the rocket begins to ascend into the sky

“We see good ignition, Vulcan II is off the pad”

“All systems performing as expected”

Her two F-1 Engines filling the sky with smoke and flames as the rocket is jostled by the immense force

“We’re seeing some vibrations here”

As Vulcan II Approached 25km In altitude, the Engines would begin to rumble in an unexpected, new way. No F-1 Engine had actually been used in flight yet, and their intention was to launch heavier rockets. All of these factors combined to induce intense pogo oscillations, propellant inside sloshing back and forth stressing the frame of the vehicle.

“Vulcan II Seems to- Is Tilting outside of planned parameters, Recommend Abort”

“Roger, Aborting Vulcan II”

To prevent Vulcan II From crashing into populated areas, the choice had been made to self-destruct the rocket. The morning sky erupted into fireworks as the rocket completely shattered, spraying fiery debris across a small section of central Nevada.
This rocket launch had been known, with crowds waiting at Las Vegas in a manner similar to the crowds watching nuclear tests, though instead of being met with the engine plume of Vulcan II emerging from over the horizon, the onlookers would see a multitude of trails, debris from the failed rocket raining down in the barren landscape just a few kilometres away.

Work on Venera 4 was going strong, But there was a lot of doubt in the air. Large amounts of testing and modifications had been implemented for Venera 4 based on atmospheric data obtained from Venera 2, designing a craft to survive the immense pressures to be experienced was incredibly hard. Pressures of around 50 atmospheres at sea level and temperatures of 400 Celsius had been estimated off of said data, but to ensure safety the chamber would be 150 atmospheres of pressure. To facilitate testing of probes in this environment a special chamber had to be created, capable of replicating such a climate, with the spacecraft for testing inside, after one such test the door to the chamber was opened to inspect the spacecraft, but when looking inside, it was empty.
The spacecraft was nowhere to be found. But it hadn’t vanished, upon looking at the ground you could see it. The remnants of the spacecraft bubbling and oozing across the floor, the only thing remaining amidst the molten metal was two camera lenses, staring lifelessly up.
After weeks and months of trial and error, a design was finally made which could withstand this barren world’s environment. And this would be launched as Venera 4

On September 12th, President John F. Kennedy would go to Rice university’s stadium and deliver a speech
“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. For space science, like nuclear science and all technology, has no conscience of its own. Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man, and only if the United States occupies a position of pre-eminence can we help decide whether this new ocean will be a sea of peace or a new terrifying theatre of war. I do not say that we should or will go unprotected against the hostile misuse of space any more than we go unprotected against the hostile use of land or sea, but I do say that space can be explored and mastered without feeding the fires of war, without repeating the mistakes that man has made in extending his writ around this globe of ours. - We choose to go to the Moon. We choose to go to the Moon... We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too”. Kennedy’s speech would be heard around the world, and even make its way to some of the Soviet Union, who just one week after his speech would launch their own mission to the moon, still unmanned of course, but they would yet again be attempting to land a craft upon the moon’s surface. Work on this spacecraft had begun before Luna 6’s failure, which of course meant the communications issue had to be fixed in the new craft. The issue itself was never actually found, so instead a backup computer and improved comms device was added to replace the old one, hopefully permitting a successful landing. But there was no way to be sure until it reached the moon, 3 days from now. To improve chances of mission success, a landing site was chosen in advance. This would be Mare Serenitatis, a small lunar mare in the northern hemisphere of the moon, right next to the sea of tranquility and the sea of rains. It was chosen because of its location on the moon, and its dull topography, a very flat area as most lunar maria are, but this one was especially flat. The atmosphere was filled with tension in the days leading up to the landing, America having heard about the launch after its successful TLI had been performed, and with their lunar landers still almost a year away from being ready, they had to wait with baited breath, just as they had 9 months earlier during the doomed mission of Luna 6.
After a few days coasting towards the moon through the silent sea of the cosmos, the last few hours before landing would pass, and all systems were ready. At just 75km above the surface, the retrorockets would begin to fire, slowing the descent down to a speed somewhat survivable by the probe. These engines would shut off at 250m from the surface, with a contact sensor being triggered at 5m which would eject the lander from the top, Sending it flying upwards as the rest of the craft smashed into the surface. The lander would bounce across the surface multiple times, Opening its “petals” a few minutes after landing to improve the stability of the craft, and ensure it is pointing upwards. This action would reveal the camera, which would take the first snapshots of the surface of another world. This landscape was unlike any ever seen, an almost perfectly flat terrain stretching towards the horizon, small patches of dust and craters sparsely littering the otherwise smooth vista. These transmissions would be picked up by the Jodrell bank observatory in north west England, and released to the world. It is now known to be possible to land a craft upon the Moon, and not have it sink into the dust as once feared.

The last few launches of the year would be dominated by American launches, including the flight of Walter Schirra on Mercury-Vulcan 8, and the probes planned to reach Mars known as Mariner 1 and 2. The two probes were launched on the original Vulcan I rockets, and with their relatively light mass would be shot at immense speeds towards Mars, launched just 2 days apart, and their arrivals targeted for September 4 and 7 respectively, America would enter the playing field of interplanetary exploration.

The final launch of the year would be another debut, the Titan III Rocket.
Standing tall at Vandenberg air force base’s newly rebuilt rocket launchpad, sitting at the top, mounted to the upper stage, the Spearhead Pathfinder. Though not an entirely functional Spearhead, it would serve as a good testbed for the rocket, and reentry protocols.
Just past 2pm, the signal would be given.

“All systems green, Pathfinder is go for launch”

“Roger, Pathfinder is go. Prepare for SRM Ignition in T-15 Seconds”

Those seconds would pass with a tense silence, a silence that seemed to last for hours. Before being broke with a loud rumble as those solid rockets ignited, shaking the very earth, and scorching the launchpad

“Pathfinder has cleared the tower, Solid Rockets performing well, Thrust provided as expected”

“We are on track for Core stage ignition in 60 seconds”

Mission control would watch carefully at every bit of information being sent back. Engine performance, oscillations, structural stress, And it was all performing perfectly.

“Core stage is Ignited, Prep for Solid Rocket separation”

“SRMs have Separated as planned, Core stage performing nominally, MECO In 130 seconds”

Pathfinder was thrown at faster and faster speeds, The horizon stretching far beyond the launch site, And the faint engine plume being visible across almost all of Southern California, and in Utah and Nevada as the rocket went further and further east. The stages would separate as planned, and Spearhead would successfully reach orbit.
It would stay up there for just 2 orbits, long enough to make sure everything was performing as planned. After those orbits were done, a signal would be sent to begin Deorbiting. A short, 10 second firing of Pathfinder’s onboard engines would be performed to shorten its orbit, allowing it to fall somewhere near Vandenberg for safe recovery. An issue was quickly made apparent however, the fuel tank was not drained as planned, leading to a weight imbalance. The heat shield would successfully work as intended, but the attitude control was not powerful enough to stop the spaceplane from tipping backwards, producing forward momentum and causing it to go further downrange than intended. It would crash around 30 miles east of Vandenberg, a smoldering pile of debris all that was left. Though the skin of the plane and heat shield weren’t too warped, showing the strength of the materials used and giving enough hope that when a crewed flight does take place, the plane could be safely landed.

Point of context. Vandenburg is not used for launches that go over the Mainland U.S. They are used for Polar orbits, really great place for them, and launches that otherwise don't go over the mainland U.S. Anything even heading for the Mojave desert or Nevada is a no no.