Mark Where His Carnage and His Conquests Cease! [1]
Soundtrack: Handel: Music for the Royal Fireworks, La Réjouissance

*exterior shot* *Albertina of Vienna* *salon* *two old men, both in military uniform, are sitting there with Prince Metternich* *Archduchess Maria Theresia is seated at the piano playing Schumann's Kreisleriana[2]*
Maria Theresia: *finishes playing*
Karoline of Bavaria: *elbows Franz* *hisses* Frank, wake up. *she's not lying, Franz and Karl of Teschen have both been nodding* *not because the playing is boring or because they're tired* *but because Franz is 71 and Karl is 68yo*
Franz: *wakes up to see his wife applauding* *joins in*
Karl: *wakes with a start at the applause* *starts barking orders that there's enemy fire and that they'll soon beat Napoléon*
Metternich: *smirks at that outburst*
Maria Theresia: *going to her father's side* Papa...you beat Napoléon already...
Karl: *slightly sheepish as he looks around to see he's not on a battlefield* *not even on horseback*
Metternich: *quietly* there are many who would dispute that nowadays.
Karl: my apologies, Majesties, I didn't-
Goodinand, King of Hungary: no need for apologies, Uncle. Her playing was exquisite
Maria Theresia: *dips curtsey in gratitude*
Franz: did you hear that the king of the Netherlands and the king of Belgium have made nice?
Karl: King Wilhelm accepted that then?
Metternich: it would seem that the Comte de Chambord has...got lucky in managing to convince King Leopold and King Willem to...meet, face to face. And he has arbitrated the duke of Reichstadt's terms between them.
Franz: you don't know Frankie was involved in that, Chancellor.
Metternich: forgive me, your Majesty...in which case I should say that we should all be very worried if the comte de Chambord were to be restored to his throne. If he can get the Dutch and the Belgians to make nice at 17, I would not like to see what he can do at thirty. And there are many princes in the German Confederation - like the King of Prussia - who agree with this idea. *his tone is like a faint criticism of Franz's refusal to make nice with the French* *sort of saying "I told you so"*
Maria Anna of Savoy: you talk as if my cousin has no mind of his own. Like you believe the lies that Paris spreads about him.
Metternich: Madame, I have said to his Majesty countless times that the comte de Chambord is a wonderful boy, but he is badly taught.
Karl: du alte schmeichler[3], Prinz, are you jealous that you got outsmarted by a teenager that you must blame the Whoremaster of Venice?
Metternich: I have no objections to being outfoxed by a teenager, your Imperial Highness, I have objections when the ideas he spouts are ones that originate in someone else's skull.
Franz: *sighs* Prinz, I have warned you twice, I will not warn you a third-
Metternich: Majesty, I only call the Comte de Chambord's idea into question since it is a Frenchman taking the credit for an Austrian idea.
Franz: *rolls eyes*
Metternich: the idea being one that I myself suggested to both sides in 1831 already and was rebuffed. An idea that I spoke of - at great length - to his Serene Highness, the Duke of Reichstadt- and now a Bourbon runs off with Austria's laurels.
Maria Theresia: perhaps, Prince, it is about the messenger rather than the message.
Habsburgs: *chuckles at the response*
Metternich: *fumes quietly*
Franz: there has been a request for your hand, Maria Theresia. Several actually.
Karl: *looks at his daughter like "see, I told you"*
Franz: *puts spectacles on* *takes papers Ferdinand hands him* the first is from the Archduke Ferdinand Karl [of Modena].
Karl: *irritable* when I wanted her to marry Franz of Modena you told me I had no business poking around in Italy.
Franz: *calmly* that was then. This is now.
Karl: I'll not see her walk one step behind that...Beauharnais thing. Especially not now that that Beauharnais has a son.
Franz: *nods* that is your prerogative. But Ferdinand has communicated his willingness to reside in Vienna, so you would still be able to see your daughter. And Maria Theresia would be able to still enjoy her life as she does now.
Maria Theresia: *half disgustedly* he's a child- he's-
Karl: not Franz of Modena's brother, Rezi. His uncle, the governor of Galicia[4].
Maria Theresia: *blushes at the mistake*
Franz: the second request was made by the Comte de Montizon-
Karl: on behalf of his brother?
Franz: no. By his brother, the regent of Spain, on his behalf. The Spanish are aware they are...diplomatically isolated at the moment, and the regent is desperate to make friends. Not to mention that he feels there should be...a spare for in the event some misfortune were to befall Queen Isabel or himself-
Maria Theresia: but the queen has a sister, your Majesty
Goodinand: that is exactly why the regent wants the marriage. At the moment, his safety is ensured only by the fact that nobody wants his father in charge and nobody wants the Dowager Queen to return to be regent. However, were something unforeseen to happen, like Frankie's recent attack of measles-
Metternich: an act of God, in other words-
Goodinand: silence, Prinz- then there would once more be anarchy in Spain over who would be regent and who Luisa would marry. The liberales want her to marry the duc de Nemours or the duque de Seville, the Carlists prefer the duke of Lucca. The regent's "plan", as it were, is to marry his brother off in the hope that he will speedily produce a male heir who can marry Luisa in the event of such a calamity.[5]
Maria Theresia: *looks as though she's considering this* *to be mother to the next king of Spain is somewhat better than a mere archduke's wife - however rich he is*
Franz: *hands two pages back to his son* then, since you already rejected Ferdinand Karl the Younger of Modena for too young, no doubt the duke of Lucca and the prince of Piemonte will fall into the same category- *to Karl* perhaps for your younger daughter?
Karl: *makes a maybe look*
Franz: then there are requests from your uncle, the duke of Nassau, on behalf of King Willem for his eldest son-
Karl: I thought the boy is promised to the king of Württemberg's son?
Metternich: *boredly* it seems that that...promise has been broken. Again at the comte de Chambord's suggestion *tone like Chambord's mouth was moving, but it's Frankie's words coming out* as he passed through Stuttgart on his way back to Vienna. And while King Willem is no more inclined to a Catholic match than many of his countrymen...he does feel that...since he is planning on naming his son to be governor of Catholic Luxembourg, having an archduchess bride, particularly one whose father is so...closely connected with the Low Countries...would be rather a good move, considering the whole debacle in Belgium for the last decade-
Maria Theresia: but Luxemburg is just a fortress.
Karoline: *like a proud mother hen* *since she likely knows this was Frankie's idea* not anymore. The Comte de Chambord suggested a simple swap of territory. King Willem surrenders Limburg to the Belgian king who gives him a rather large portion of the kingdom of Belgium's province of Luxembourg. Since the province is...mostly unsettled, the Dutch can make use of it to rehouse many of those whose homes were ruined by the double disaster on the Harlemmermeer two years ago[6]. Of course, neither man is particularly happy about this, but...between Chambord recommending it to the Dutch and Prince Albert of Coburg convincing his uncle in Brussels to agree...the war of Belgium is happily with the two men meeting in person to sign the Treaty of Middelburg.
Metternich: *looks more than marginally miffed*
Maria Theresia: but he's a Protestant.
Karl: *gently reproving* so was your mother, Rezi *looks sadly at the portrait of his late wife on the wall*
Metternich: that is the Dutch king's main reason for agreeing to the marriage
Franz: *takes another three pages off list* then these requests from Karl of Hesse and Adolph of Nassau will likely not suit either. And August of Saxe-Coburg and Kohary...I don't know who put that suit in there. *he now only has one page left in his hand* which brings us down to the final suit
Karoline: *takes Maria Theresia's hand* Crown Prince Maximilian of Bavaria...he's a scholar, rich, handsome, young, Catholic... *tone like "what's your objection going to be to this one?*
Maria Theresia: *looks at Franz* only if that is what your Majesty wishes for me.
Franz: *takes her face in his hands* of course, child, I think only of your happiness. That's why I've let you decide. Let no one *looks at his brother* accuse me of offering you merely so I could thwart the French king's offer of Mademoiselle de Valois [7] *kisses her forehead*
Karl: *looks at his brother* of course, your Majesty. I trust I shall be able to call at the Hofburg tomorrow to discuss other business? *tone like "we'll talk then"*
Goodinand: I'm afraid that's quite impossible, Uncle. We will be travelling to Buda in the morning- to visit Uncle Joseph. *waves papers* all these matches won't find archduchesses by themselves. And darling Mina is next on the list
Metternich: *in a tired tone* I have warned their Majesties that with the flooding, now is hardly the time to visit Hungary. Things will no doubt be unstable. If something were to happen to either of them there...why...what would become of Austria.
Maria Anna of Savoy: no doubt you will have already thought of a solution for that, Prince.
*they leave*
Maria Theresia: *looks at page with Max's suit on* Queen of Bavaria *starts waltzing around the room by herself*

*fade to black*

[1] from Byron's Bride of Abydos ("Mark where his carnage and his conquests cease!/They make a desert and call it peace), it's a paraphrase of a much earlier response by Tacitus
[2] Johannes Kreisler is a character of ETA Hoffmann (who also wrote the story of Coppelia and the Nutcracker ballets). Kreisler is moody, antisocial, witty, eccentric, possibly a genius kappelmeister whose creativity is constantly thwarted by his excessive sensibility. OTL, Schumann dedicated it to Chopin (who had nothing nice to say beyond complimenting the title page), but here it gets another (more fitting) dedicatee.
[3] you old flatterer, but here meant as a "toady"
[4] in her defense, they are both called "Ferdinand Karl". But Galicia is closer to Teschen's holdings than Modena is. While Ferdinand Karl (b.1781) is closer to her father's age than her own, there are some reasons why she might accept: a) he's willing to come live in Vienna; b) he's rich (Ferdinand Karl was the heir to Marie Antoinette's youngest brother's fortune of something like 2,5 million (1815 prices); this fortune then passed to his brother Maximilian, on his death, and when Max died, it was willed to their niece, Maria Teresa, Comtesse de Chambord); c) if she were to return to him to Galicia, she'd be practically a queen.
[5] this isn't that Goodinand has suddenly turned into a genius of statecraft but rather this was probably an idea he learned by heart to explain. Not to say Goodinand is an idiot, he's certainly far more intelligent than often given credit for, but I think he and Frankie's OTL/TTL friendship probably means he's likelier to listen to him than Metternich
[6] this would be the two floods in the Harlemmermeer in 1836
[7] Marie d'Orléans. Although I'm not sure why Franz never made an attempt to match Maximilian with an archduchess OTL.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Tarabas @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @Fehérvári @kaiidth @Vitruvius @Basileus_Komnenos

I am not always able to comment the chapters but I still love all of them… Frankie’s plans are always entertaining, also when we seen them from other people

A Room With a View
Soundtrack: Henri Herz Fantaisie Méxicaine

*deleted intro*
*exterior* *shot of Florence's Duomo* *Frankie chasing Amalie through a garden* *her running backwards from him between a row of cypresses* *rips open the bodice of her dress* * *Palazzo Vecchio* *Frankie and Amalie kissing in the back of a carriage as they drive through the Piazza della Signoria* *Michelangelo's David* *he and Amalie strolling arm and arm through the Uffizzi* *Ponte Vecchio* *few other notable landmarks[1]* *all interspersed with some romantic/raunchy vignettes of them looking like they're on some sort of honeymoon* *this is actually the first time we've seen Frankie where he doesn't have the kids in tow or surrounded by anyone else* *ends with a fade out of Cellini's Perseus With the Head of Medusa*[1]
*bird's eye view of a bed* *Frankie's lying there, clearly naked, although the sheet is casually draped over anything below his ribs* *unlike his dad, his chest and forearms are rather hairy[2]* *Amalie is lying next to him, equally naked*
*knock on door*
Frankie: *takes his cigarette out of his mouth* what?
Servant: *pokes head around the door* sorry to bother your Majesty-
Frankie: *clearly irritated at being disturbed mid-conversation with Amalie* come in or get out, make up your goddamn mind, don't stand there like a sniveling rat.
Servant: *clearly uncomfortable* *swalllows then steps into the room* your Majesty requested me to inform you when the ambassador arrived in Florence
Frankie: *suddenly bundle of energy as he kisses the top of Amalie's head before throwing the sheet aside like its the tarpaulin covering a work of art* *but as he does, we see the tattoo that Henri de Chambord spoke of on his upper arm* *rather than being something like "death to kings" under a crowned skull* *or even something like a Napoleonic or Habsburg eagle* *it is the simple monogram of Kaiser Friedrich III: A. E. I. O. U.*[3]
*fade out*

*actual scene*
*a fully dressed Frankie is sitting alone at a grand piano* *playing a piano transcription of Beethoven's Eroica Symphony [4] first movement* *camera pans down* *to show that Amalie is sitting in the audience* *next to her sits Count Walewski -in full court dress, breeches, stockings, sword, orders - who looks very much like the late Napoléon* *on Amalie's other side is Prince Louis Napoléon* *flanked by Prince Maximilien de Beauharnais*
*footman shows in Mariano Guadelupe Vallejo*
Frankie: *continues playing, although now softer*
Vallejo [5]: *goes up to Walewski* *bows* your Majesty.
Walewski: *in Spanish* Senor Vallejo. *motions for the footman to bring a chair for Vallejo* we are so happy you could accept the invitation.
Vallejo: *in French* of course, Majesty...one does not receive an invite from such an exalted personage as yourself.
Walewski: *switching to French* we have matters we wish to discuss with you, regarding the...king of the French's recent actions against the most noble republic of Mexico.
Vallejo: *guardedly* and what has he done, Majesty...I have received no intelligence of actions from Mexico.
Walewski: you have not heard of Governor Alvardo receiving Captain Laplace of the Artémisie? Or Admiral Dupetit-Thouars arriving with the Vénus last year? Or that the prince de Joinville himself has visited on the Danaïde?
Vallejo: *still guardedly* naturally, Majesty...all of California knows of their arrival, but they have assured all concerned parties that they are simply on a voyage of scientific observation.
Walewski: is that why our cousin *gestures to Louis Napoléon* so lately returned from a visit to America tells us that one Monsieur Duflot de Mofras is attempting to turn Governor Alvardo against the United States? Why the French king is providing money to prominent citizens in Monterey, San Diego and Los Angeles to encourage them to turn them into a second Texas? Why he has accredited the Texans? And has signed a trade treaty with them?
Vallejo: your Majesty knows far more than I have been told. The French king has always proved him to be a loyal friend to Mexico-
Walewski: has he? When *takes out a letter* this arrived from Monsieur Duflot de Mofras writes that *unfolds letter* *reads* it is evident that California will belong to whichever nation sends a single man-of-war and two hundred soldiers? -Does that sound like the words of a loyal friend or of a spy?
Vallejo: *takes the letter* *reads it for himself*
Louis Napoléon: and of course, now...when according to Sir Richard Pakenham from the British foreign office, the British navy is unable to involve oneself in your protection. They have asked the United States to dispatch a single ship- the St. Louis - never mind that Pakenham also writes that once California is freed from Mexico should not fall to any power but England.
Vallejo: he is a fool. The United States wouldn't even take over the protectorate of Texas when offered. Why would they trouble themselves with sending a ship to California.
Frankie: *stands up*
*rest of the room rises to their feet as well* *Vallejo looks confused*
Frankie: If you'll allow me, Monsieur l'Ambassadeur...I don't speak Spanish but I do speak politics.
Vallejo: *disdainfully to Walewski* you allow a pianist to talk to you like this, sire?
Frankie: well, personally, if we were talking about a really good pianist - like Herr Liszt or Herr Chopin - then by all means. But unfortunately, while my name is also Franz, I am neither.
Walewski: *by way of introduction to Vallejo* his Majesty, Napoléon II.
Vallejo: *blinks to see if this is a trick*
Frankie: I'm afraid I do not enjoy playing...dress-up as that fool Chartres does...so your Excellency will be unlikely to find a grey greatcoat in my wardrobe or a cocked hat with a tricolor cockade hanging on my wall. But I suppose I'll have to do. *smiles*
Vallejo: *looks at the face* *then bows deeply*
Frankie: *sits down in Walewski's seat* now...as to his Majesty the king of the French's tactics, I cannot speak for him. Although I fear he is attempting to do in Mexico what he has already done - or attempted to do, anyway - in South America. My cousin, the Empress of Brasil, and my brother *there's no pause before brother to indicate Frankie finds it distasteful* Comte Walewski, have both informed me that what his Majesty will do in California and Texas is very likely along the same lines as what he is currently doing by blockading the Rio de la Plata. He will starve the South Americans, the Californios and the Texans into submission, then when they are done will send them a French bill for the occupation. Of course, an economy starved in such a way will have no means of maintaining such a payment, and so, the French king will use that as the casus belli to annex the Argentine Republic, the Texan Republic and California after defeating them in a war.
Vallejo: your Majesty has no way of knowing that.
Frankie: but I do, *smiles* because its exactly what my father did. Only he did it to established powers on the world stage. Powers who had - regardless of their state of preparedness - armies and navies. Treasuries that could pay off such a debt without having to worry about foreign troops occupying them. Powers where...people would actually care if he annexed them to France. People would fight to prevent such an annexation as Monsieur Louis can no doubt attest the Dutch did.
Vallejo: Mexico will create such a roar if he intends to do that. And the gringos in the United States.
Frankie: *to Louis Napoléon* what do you think? Will the United States object? Are they in a fit state to object if King Pear does this?
Louis Napoléon: certainly they would cause a noise if King Pear did-
Vallejo: *looks smug*
Louis Napoléon: But, your Majesty, I fear that...well...they would do it solely to tighten their own hold on the regions in question, if not annex them outright. At first it will likely just be a départment here and there. And as with Louisiane, as with Texas, they will send in streams of settlers to ensure that there is a sizeable American minority in the départment to assist them for when they attempt this.
Frankie: not unlike what King Pear is doing with French settlers right now. Sending settlers to Monterey, San Diego, what's that other one...on the bay?
Louis Napoléon: Yerba Buena, sire
Frankie: that one. And then, at some point, perhaps today, perhaps next week or in the next year...either his bribery will pay off or he will use the excuse that his subjects are being mistreated as grounds for him to impose sanctions [5].
Vallejo: *says nothing*
Frankie: it is a pity, naturally, that Austria is so...lacking in a navy as to be able to assist in this matter. *sad look* and at the moment, our own funds are...vastly overstretched. But I would suggest to your government that they find a backer. Someone who, if France were to try to- *to Louis Napoléon* what's that term? Shook up?
Louis Napoléon: shake down, sire.
Frankie: -shake down Mexico that she would be...able to withstand the punch. Great Britain is useless, and as I understand it, she has caused much ill-well among the Texans with her plaguing their shipping about slavery. The United States my cousin has already outlined why they would be unsuitable. I'd suggest Spain-
Vallejo: your Majesty cannot be serious! We have just fought-
Frankie: I said I would suggest Spain, not that I am suggesting it. Although *takes out a card* this is the Comte de Montizon's address, perhaps he could...persuade his brother to recognize Mexico as a sovereign nation. I am sure such an act would go far among nations such as Portugal, Prussia or Austria...that should the king act as I believe he will...perhaps those courts will at least make a formal protest.
Vallejo: *looks at the card like Frankie is completely bonkers for suggesting it*
Frankie: perhaps Brasil...granted she's in a bit of a...duck soup at the moment, but she would likely be both able to stand with Mexico as well as my cousin, the Emperador, having no interest in annexing Mexican lands.
Vallejo: *too much of a courtier to refuse* *smiles politely*
Frankie: and, I was wondering if you could...perhaps...help my cousin *motions to Max* obtain permission to visit Mexico? He's a...*stage whisper* complete science nut. Always babbling on about this or that. Drives me completely insane.
Max: *smiles good naturedly* *he knows Frankie's lying*
Frankie: anyhow, since your country is apparently open to the French for so-called scientific observation, surely your government wouldn't object if my cousin comes along for actual scientific observation
Vallejo: will it just be him, your Majesty? Or will there be anyone accompanying him *you can tell by the tone of voice that he's maybe trying to fish if Frankie's gonna jump the pond*
Frankie: Max? Party of how many are you looking at?
Max: me, Jean-Baptiste, Charles Robert, [6] and Eugen[7], whatever other "science nuts" I could find in Munich, Vienna or Florence.
Vallejo: your Majesty will not be accompanying?
Frankie: I'm on my way back to Venice as soon as this meeting is over...its rather exciting. Opening the newly-renovated Arsenale next week. And one day, I hope, that Austria and Mexico will be able to stand together on the high seas as equals.

*fade to black*

[1] with the exception of Cellini's bronze all the landmarks have a connection to the pre-Medici Florentine Republic. The raunch is to show that Frankie is no sort of statue hiding behind a stained glass window. The absence of the children isn't because they aren't there, but more to show that, despite being a father and responsibilities, he is also still a guy in his twenties.
[2] while this seems an odd thing to note, it was known that Napoléon's body - as confirmed by his autopsy report - was practically hairless aside from his head "like a woman's" was how Constant and Las Cases both described it.
[3] Austriae est imperare orbi universo (all the world is subject to Austria) or, Friedrich III's own interpretation amor electis, iniustis ordinor ultor (beloved by the elect, for the unjust I am ordained an avenger)
[4] as far as piano transcriptions go, the Eroica is the second most difficult Beethoven symphony to play. There's also an element of irony of a Bonaparte playing it: Beethoven refused permission for it to be performed in Napoléon's presence after scratching the dedication to Napoléon off the title page, instead entitling it "to the memory of a great man"
[5] I can't find the name of the Mexican Ambassador/Minister to Tuscany at the time, although apparently there was one. So Vallejo - uncle of the governor - has to do
[6] this isn't Frankie having a crystal ball, Vallejo wrote of the same suspicions when Duflot de Mofras arrived OTL. So really, Frankie is simply airing Vallejo's own suspicions.
[7] sons of the Baron Tascher de la Pagerie, both cavalry captains in the Bavarian army and part of the household of the Palais Leuchtenberg
[8] cousin of Jean-Baptiste and Charles-Robert, godson and namesake of Eugene de Beauharnais, cornet in the Bavarian Lancers, ADC to Max until his death in a duel in 1833. These Beauharnais cousins have likely been doing some fighting in Spain and Portugal over the last bit, (I know one or two of the Clarys fought in the Carlist Wars), but they might be similar to Eugène in being "more stuff of colonels than generals". Max's ties to Bavaria, Modena, Sweden, Brasil and Portugal, will likely count in his favour among Mexico's more conservative elites, while the Napoleonic ties will likely appease the liberals. He makes a good "unofficial" ambassador for Frankie, even if he really is just there in the name of science.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Tarabas @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @Fehérvári @kaiidth @Vitruvius @Basileus_Komnenos @unprincipled peter

Metternich is really digging his own grave at this point, good Lord.
I think his whole attempt to "horn in" about the treaty of Middelburg and it being his idea (I can't remember what his actual ideas were, but likely things are very different here anyway) is to try to underline to Franz that "look, this should've been an Austrian win and now the French have stolen the credit thanks to your grandson".
I am not always able to comment the chapters but I still love all of them… Frankie’s plans are always entertaining, also when we seen them from other people
will admit that he's fast turning into one of those characters where you never frigging know where/what he's gonna be/do next. The bane of "conventional" people like Metternich and Louis Philippe, but nowhere half as radical as they make him out to be. Which is partially what makes Middelburg so ironic: it's Metternich's idea that Frankie took and ran with it, proving that the two men are probably - as I've said to @The_Most_Happy varying by degrees rather than direction. Frankie is not a liberal and - as is pointed out in several places - realizes his dad trying to upset the applecart too completely was what got him into problems with people in Europe who might have otherwise supported him. It's less that he's got the "luck of the devil" than he just knows how to - as Metternich points out - capitalize on showmanship. He uses the Hungarian disaster as an opportunity to show the Habsburgs to their subjects, then he uses what Louis Philippe is doing to convince the Mexicans "I'm on your side".

@Fehérvári I couldn't find if the royals did visit Hungary after the flood in 1838, but if they didn't, it would be a very clear indication that, despite being king of Hungary, the welfare of his subjects is not very high on either Franz or Goodinand's list of priorities. Here, instead, they get to see the damage - granted, probably only the "better part" of the damage - caused by the flood, and listen to Joseph/Lonyay's plans for Buda's "rising from the ashes" rather than have to deal with it by mail.
Quite an impressive effort. These butterflies are going to be crazy after a while.
Oh, Frankie's head's going to hurt just thinking about that :p

All of it, ensuring France is distrusted, ensuring the deed for an Austrian alliance is there
well, since the Pastry War is likely still coming down the track (although if Mexico can find a European backer like Austria/Prussia/England, it might go different), if Louis Philippe saddles them with the debt of over a half-million francs, likely Mexico is still going to look to sell California (as it did OTL) to pay off the debt. England (or rather Pakenham) was interested in buying it but lacked the interest from the government thanks to them seeing what had just happened with Texas. France was willing to buy it (which was probably the whole reason they imposed the debt in the first place).

Pakenham:

. . . as relates to Texas, the arrangement must of course, be considered a dead letter; and in the present circumstances of the Country, Chihuahua, and New Mexico are not eligible districts for colonization: but I believe there is no part of the World offering greater natural advantages for the establishment of an English colony than the Provinces of Upper California; while its commanding position on the Pacific, its fine harbours, its forests of excellent timber for ship-building as well as for every other purpose, appear to me to render it by all means desirable, in a political point of view, that California, once ceasing to belong to Mexico, should not fall into the hands of any Power but England; and the present debilitated condition of Mexico, and the gradual increase of foreign population in California render it probable that its separation from Mexico will be effected at no distant period; in fact, there is some reason to believe that daring and adventurous speculators in the United States have already turned their thoughts in that direction.
He then gave details to show that it would be easy to form a company in England, " for the establishment of an English colony in California ", and to prove its certain success as a btusiness venture. If it were to be known that an enterprise of this kind would receive the sanction and support of Her Majesty's Government, properly qualified persons would readily be found to carry out the plan; and I am sanguine enough to believe that the result would be the establishment of a prosperous colony united in feeling and interest with England, and at the same time the attainment of an object, in my humble opinion, of the highest political importance. I need scarcely observe that any foreign
Settlement in California would for some time to come be nominally dependent on the Mexican Republic; but this state of things would not last forever, nor, while it did last, would it, I imagine, be attended with serious inconvenience.
While Palmerston was favourable to Pakenham's idea, before they could get their act together, the government changed and Aberdeen took over, strangling the idea in its cradle

The situation was this: in the spring of I844, after it became evident that the United States was actually planning for the annexation of Texas, Aberdeen became greatly exercised over the possibility of such an expansion of the American state. He sought in various ways to bring about an international situation which should prohibit such an annexation. He instructed Elliot, the British charge d'affaires in Texas, to use all his influence against a Texan acquiescence in the projects of the United States.' He urged upon Mexico the necessity of immediately recognizing the independence of Texas, in order that by some sort of joint diplomatic action, France, Mexico and Great Britain might guarantee the independence of the Texan state.
From the 1929 work:

There is one general indication of early French interest in Spanish California which can best be disposed of very briefly. In 1786 the great French navigator Jean Francois de Galaup, Comte de la Perouse, visited the Californian coast. According to one authority, this gentleman was sent out by the French government on a scientific and exploring voyage, but incidentally to seek for possible new French colonies. He was instructed to discover "the condition, force, and aim of the Spanish settlements in the Californias," and to determine the opportunities "for French establishments north of Monterey." Whatever may have been the instructions of La Perouse, he seems to have been disappointed in the country as he found it.5 Thereafter, it is forty years before there appear any more French comments on California.
In 1827 M. Duhaut-Cilly, a French naval officer, visited the coast, and after ward wrote an account of it. The French frigate Vénus under Admiral Dupetit Thouars, touched at Monterey in 1837, and in 1839, as has been noted, Captain Laplace arrived in the Artemise.
And:
As to the motives which brought the early French settlers to California before the gold rush, they are perhaps sufficiently indicated by the occupations of Gallic residents of the province. At Los Angeles in 1841 there were a number of successful vineyard owners noted by De Mofras. At Monterey there lived a Frenchman named Cambuston, who had founded a school there, in which project he was aided by the Mexican provincial governor, Don Juan Bautista Alvarado. One of the prominent merchants of Monterey was a Frenchman, De Leyssegues. Near Yerba Buena (now San Francisco), two French carpenters, Sicard and Leroy, were doing a thriving lumber business in the redwood forests. In the village of Yerba Buena was a Frenchman named Mathurin, whose services as a pilot in the Bay of San Francisco were much in demand. At Sonoma was M. Victor Prudon, "a very intelligent Frenchman," who conducted a school there and who was secretary to the northern military governor, Don Mariano G. Vallejo. At New Helvetia, a Frenchman named Octave Custot was of great assistance, it is said, to Captain Sutter in the founding of the settlement. Others might be added to the list, but these examples serve to show the diversity of activities in which the Californian French were engaged during the Mexican possession of the province, and to show their position therein.
There are, however, two other fields of activity known to Frenchmen in California, which are worthy of notice. At San Fernando was a gold mine, worked by a Frenchman named Baric, in 1841, seven years before Marshall's discovery of gold at Coloma And in the north were the French Canadian trappers

House of Bonaparte in 1837
Carlo Bonaparte (1746-1785) m: 1764 Letizia Ramolino (1750-1836)

Napoleone (1765)​
Maria Anna (1767)​
Joseph, King of Spain [1808-1813], King of Naples [1806-1808] (1768-1844) m: 1794 Julie Clary (1771-1845)​
Julie Josephine (1796)​
Zénaïde (b.1801) m: 1822 Charles Lucien, Prince of Canino (b.1803)​
Charlotte (b.1802) m: 1826 Louis Napoléon, Grand Duke of Berg (b.1803)​
[illegitimate by Maria Colonna] Giulio (b.1807)​
[illegitimate by Annette Savage] Caroline (b.1822)​
[illegitimate by Émilie Hemart] Félix Joseph (b.1825)​
Napoléon, Emperor of the French [1804-1814], King of Italy [1804-1814; 1815] (1769-1821) 1m: 1796/1804 [ann.1810] Josephine de Beauharnais (1763-1814); 2m: 1810 Maria Luise of Austria (1791-1847)​
[2m.] Napoléon François Joseph Charles, Emperor of the French [1814], Prince of Parma [1815-1818[1]], Duke of Reichstadt [from 1818] (b.1811)​
[illegitimate by Fanny Elssler] Therese (b.1831)​
[illegitimate by Fanny Elssler] Karoline (b.1833)​
[illegitimate by Amalie von Schintling] Leopold, Comte de Marnes (b.1837)​
[illegitimate by Éléonore Denuelle] Charles, Comte Léon (b.1806)​
[illegitimate by Françoise Marie le Roy] Émilie (b.1806) 1m: 1825 Louis Marie, Comte de Brigode (1777-1827); 2m: 1830 Joseph de Riquet de Caraman, Prince de Chimay (b.1808)​
[1m.] Ferdinand (1827-1830)​
[1m.] Louis, Comte de Brigode [twin of Ferdinand] (b.1827)​
[2m.] Émilie (b.1832)​
[2m.] Joseph Guy (b.1836)​
[2m.] Valentine (b.1839)​
[illegitimate by Maria Laczynska] Alexandre, Comte Walewski (b.1810) m: 1831 Catherine Montagu (1808-1834)​
Louise Marie (1832-1833)​
Georges Édouard Auguste (b.1834)​
[illegitimate by Albine Vassal] Napoléone Hélène (b.1816)​
[illegitimate by Albine Vassal] Josephine de Montholon (1818-1818)​
Maria Anna (1771)​
Lucien, Prince of Canino [from 1814] & Musignano [from 1824] (b.1775) 1m: 1794 Christine Boyer (1773-1800); 2m: 1803 Alexandrine de Bleschamps (b.1778)​
[1m.] Charlotte (b.1795) m: 1815 Mario, Prince Gabrielli (b.1773)​
[1m.] Stillborn Son (1796)​
[1m.] Victoire (1797)​
[1m.] Christine (b.1798) m: 1818 [div 1824] Arvid Posse (1782-1826); 2m: 1824 Dudley Coutts-Stuart (b.1803)​
[2m.] Charles Lucien, Prince of Canino (b.1803) m: 1822 Zénaïde Bonaparte (b.1801)​
Joseph (b.1824)​
Alexandrine (1826-1828)​
Lucien (b.1828)​
Julie (b.1830)​
Charlotte (b.1832)​
Léonie (1833-1839)​
Marie (b.1835)​
Auguste (b.1836)​
[2m.] Laetitia (b.1804) m: 1821 Sir Thomas Wyse (b.1791)​
[2m.] Joseph (1806-1807)​
[2m.] Jeanne (1807-1829) m: 1825 Onorato, Marchese Onorati (b.1800)​
[2m.] Paul (b.1808)​
[2m.] Lucien (b.1813) m: 1832 Maria Anna Cecchi[2] (b.1813)​
[2m.] Pierre (b.1815)​
[2m.] Alexandrine (b.1818) m: 1836 Vincenzo, Conte Valentini di Laviano (b.1808)​
[2m.] Constance (b.1823)​
Maria Anna Elisa, Grand Duchess of Tuscany [1809-1814], Princess of Lucca & Piombino [1805-1814] (1777-1820) m: 1797 Félix Pasquale, Prince Bacchiochi (b.1762)​
Felix Napoléon (1798-1799)​
Napoléon (1803-1803)​
Élisabeth[3] Napoléonne (b.1806) 1m: 1824 [ann.1836] Filippo, Conte Camerata de Passionei (b.1805); 2m: 1838 Charles Juste de Craon, 4ePrince de Beauvau (b.1793)​
[1m.] Charles Félix (b.1826)​
Jérôme (1810-1811)​
Frédéric Napoléon (b.1814)​
Louis, King of Holland [1806-1810] (b.1778) m: 1802 Hortense de Beauharnais (1783-1837)​
Napoléon Louis Charles (1804-1806)​
Louis Napoléon, Grand Duke of Berg [1809-1813] (b.1804) m: 1826 Charlotte Bonaparte (b.1802)​
Julie Josephe “Josephine” (b.1827) engaged to Armand, 4e Duc de Polignac (b.1817)​
Louis Joseph (b.1830)​
Stillborn Son (1832)​
Henri (b.1835)​
Stillborn Daughter (1837)​
Charles Louis Napoléon (b.1808)​
[illegitimate by Jeanne Roland] François Louis, Conte Castelvecchio (b.1826)​
Pauline (1780-1825) 1m: 1797 Charles Leclerc (1772-1802); 2m: 1803 Camillo, Prince Borghese (1775-1832)​
[1m.] Dérmide (1798-1804)​
Caroline (b.1782) 1m: 1800 Joachim Murat, King of Naples [1808-1815] (1767-1815); 2m: 1830 Francesco MacDonald (1777-1837)​
[1m.] Achille, Prince of Pontecorvo[4] (b.1801) m: Catherine Daingerfeld Willis (b.1803)​
[1m.] Laetitie (b.1802) m: 1823 Guido, Prince Pepoli (b.1789)​
[1m.] Lucien (b.1803) m: 1831 Caroline Georgina Fraser (b.1810)​
Caroline (b.1832)​
Joseph (b.1834)​
Anne (b.1838)​
[1m.] Louise (b.1805) m: 1825 Giulio, Conte Rasponi (b.1787)​
Jérôme, King of Westphalia [1807-1813] (b.1784) 1m: 1803 [ann. 1805] Elizabeth Patterson (b.1785); 2m: 1807 Katharina of Württemberg (1783-1835); 3m: 1837 Elizabeth Patterson (b.1785)​
[1m./3m.] Jerome Napoleon “Bo”[5] (b.1805) m: 1829 Susan May Williams (b.1812)​
Jerome Napoleon II (b.1830)​
[2m.] Jérôme Napoléon Charles, Prince de Montfort (b.1814)​
[2m.] Mathilde (b.1820)​
[2m.] Napoléon Joseph Charles (b.1822)​

[1] He was only excluded from succeeding to the Parmese throne in 1818, not the Congress of Vienna
[2] Cecchi and Wyse are both marriages that will make Frankie even more determined to have “control” over the family’s marriages. Lucien and Cecchi ended up getting married after he “won” her in a game of dice. Wyse is even more ridiculous: Laetitia and her mother got into an argument over a dress, Alexandrine slapped the girl through the face, Lettie stormed out of the palazzo and literally married the first man she met.
[3] Name lengthened on her second marriage
[4] Title sold to Frankie and granted to Louise d’Artois as part of her dowry
[5] By a decree from Frankie as head of the house, “Bo” is the equivalent of a “naturalized” son sans the succession rights or a claim on his father’s title

If Mexico was inclined to part with California voluntarily, it would have avoided the conflict with the United States in which it ultimately lost California anyway.

Intermezzo: I Can- Can You?
Soundtrack: Mendelssohn: Overture to Die Hochzeit des Camacho

*exterior* *we see a bride and groom exiting St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna* *cut to the Piazza del Duomo in Milan, yet another bride and groom exit* *cut to same scene, this time on the Piazza de San Marco* *again, the Campi dei Miracoli in Pisa* *all the time with church bells ringing the Overture to the Marriage of Figaro[1]* *finally, we see the wedding procession departing from the Chapel Royal at the Palace of Fontainebleau*
Duc de Dalmatie: *watching the bride and groom* the Bourbons and Napoléon get an archduchess, Charles X's churchmouse granddaughter gets a king of Sicily...and the king of the French's daughter gets nothing better than a prince of Württemberg. Not the king's son, not the king's nephew...but the king's cousin.
Duchesse de Maillé: *looks disdainfully at the duc and duchesse de Chartres, followed down the aisle by the duc and duchesse de Nemours* our dauphin gets some poor little girl from Mecklembourg, and the duc de Nemours has to make do with some little girl from Altenburg [2].
Dalmatie: still, as long as they can produce issue, I suppose all will be well. *you can hear in his tone he's trying to put a good face on it*
Maillé: *sarcastically* and in the meantime...my cousin, Madame la Marquise de Crillon tells me the most horrific news one can imagine. Her daughter is to marry the eldest son of that beast, the king of Westphalia [3]. Imagine that...a boy who is one generation removed from obscurity in Corsica...to marry up like that without even the dignity of a savonnette à vilains[4] such as yourself, Monsieur le Duc.
Dalmatie: and here I thought the news from Rome that Princess Constance of Canino was marrying the Count of Foglia [5] was shocking
Maillé: It's the Romans, duc, they'll marry practically anyone for the right price. Look at the late Prince Borghese. But I thought we in France were at least more...civilized.
Dalmatie: then I shan't tell you that the Emperor's daughter is marrying the duc de Grammont's son [6] or that the Princess of Westphalia is marrying the duc d'Uzes' son [7], her cousin, the grand Duchess of Tuscany's boy, now brother-in-law to the prince de Beauvau, is to marry the marquise de Talhouët [8]
Maillé: *has a "please stop" look on her face*
Dalmatie: then King Joseph's bastard son to the widowed Marchesa Bartolini-Baidelli [9]-
Maillé: is nothing sacred anymore?
Dalmatie: the Bonaparte are sending down roots, Madame... These marriages have been made with the blessing of the pope, the emperor [Frankie] and the king [Angoulême]. They'd be very difficult to undo.
Maillé: meanwhile, *looks at groom* we get the eldest son of the sixth son of Württemberg for our second princess and pride ourselves on being the envy of Europe

[1] figure if the Mormon Tabernacle Choir can do it, why not?
[2] this would be Marie of Saxe-Altenburg (OTL wife of George, son of the duke of Cumberland)
[3] this is the prince de Montfort
[4] "soap for serfs", Versailles term for office or land that a commoner bought to be ennobled
[5] Pietro Primoli, OTL married her niece
[6] Albine Vassal, Marquise de Montholon's daughter is marrying Agénor de Grammont, son of the ultra-royalist duc de Grammont. Grammont's wife is a bastard line granddaughter of Karl II of Württemberg
[7] Mathilde Bonaparte is marrying Gerard Armand de Crussol, son of the ultra-royalist duc d'Uzes
[8] OTL the duc d'Uzes married the marquise
[9] Jérôme Bonaparte's OTL third wife marries Joseph's half-Colonna bastard as her second husband.

To sum up: the Bacchiocchi kids will be marquises de Talhouët in the next generation (not to mention extremely rich); the prince de Montfort's kids will inherit the Marquisat of Crillon and the dukedom of Châtillon and La Vallière; Mathilde Bonaparte is married to the heir of the premier Duke of France; and Frankie's half-sister is married to someone with connections to the Choiseuls, the Bethunes (and Poland), the Duchesse de Gontaut (governess to Henri V) and through her to the Rohans and the Bourbon-Bussets, not to mention a sovereign principality (Bidache). Not a bad haul for Frankie - the son of a parvenu to the circle of kings.

@The_Most_Happy @VVD0D95 @isabella @Ramontxo @Wendell @Dragonboy

Last edited: