Eliza, ou Le voyage aux Glaciers
Soundtrack: Alfredo Catalani, La Wally: Ebben? Ne Andro Lontano [1]

*exterior shot of the Alps* *majestic* *snow covered* *we see a carriage rattling along the edge of Lake Constance as it climbs the hill to Schloss Arenenberg*
*shot of the carriage stopping in front of the main entrance* *zoom in on the door shows the two-right facing lions of the coat-of-arms* *door opens and next thing Therese practically tumbles out* *like she was leaning on the door and it opened unexpectedly* *she falls flat on her face* *dirtying the front of her coat and her face* *her hat also falls off*
Therese: *starts crying*
Karoline: *jumps down from the carriage* *looks at her sister* *then starts laughing*
Therese: *cries harder*
Frankie: *climbs out of coach with Poldchen in his arms* *he looks fed-up as any dad who's been cooped up in a car with his kids for a roadtrip* *he hands Poldchen to the nurse once she gets down* Karoline, stop laughing at your sister. I told you she'd fall out if you pushed the button [i.e. handle[1]]. *he helps a crying Therese up* *gently dusts off the front of her coat* *realizes its a bad job so takes his coat off and puts it around her* *then drapes her coat over his shoulder* *then practically grabs Karoline by the hand* *like to make sure she doesn't get up to any more mischief* *we also see Therese smirking behind her dad's head* *like to say "see, I get carried, you've gotta walk*
*Front door opens* *the little girls walk in* *in contrast to their palace in Venice or in Vienna that's mostly baroque interiors* *here it looks like Malmaison's holiday spot*
Frankie: *to Karoline* clean your shoes.
Karoline: *she stamps her feet like he does* *but its probably more for the sound than anything else if one judges by the big smile on her face*
Chamberlain: *to Frankie* she's been expecting you sir.
Frankie: anyone else here?
Chamberlain: no doubt they'll be back for lunch sir...but Abbé Bertrand is with her Majesty at the moment. But she asked for your Majesty.
Frankie: *motions like "lead the way"*
Chamberlain: *does* *finally stops at he door of Hortense's bedroom*
Frankie: *to Therese & Karoline* you wait here with Madame Rivelli *sternly* and no funny business.
Karoline&Therese: *both look at him as if to ask "what are you talking about?"
Chamberlain: His Majesty, the Emperor of the French

*Hortense's bedroom* *first we see "mementos" of the Empire* *several pots of violets* *Abbé Bertrand [3] is seated in the chair opposite to Hortense* *talking to her* *he is an old man* *wizened as a walnut* *Hortense is dressed and rouged* *sitting upright in her chair* *when she sees her stepbrother enter* *she rises to curtsey* *but you can see its difficult for her*
Frankie: don't get up Madame.
Hortense: *smiles in relief* *waves for the Abbé to leave*
*once alone*
Frankie: you look well, Madame
Hortense: *hoarsely* God bless you for a liar *clutches throat*[4]
Frankie: I can ring for some water-
Hortense: it won't help, your Majesty. I am very glad *swallows* that you did not die of measles
Frankie: I think you are possibly the only member of the family who would be so kind, Madame. Certainly Louis Philippe and Prince Metternich do not share the opinion
Hortense: I read *takes breath* about christening. *shakes head* ridiculous. Like yours crossed with *coughs* some pre-Revolutionary fare.
Frankie: I hear it was rather barbaric.
Hortense: I wanted to talk to you about my grandchildren. And Charles.
Frankie: of course.
Hortense: Charles is...a good boy...a kind boy...a bit of a dreamer.
Frankie: aren't we all, Madame?
Hortense: *smiles* *for a moment she looks like a young girl again* he needs someone to...watch over him. He needs to have something to do. Otherwise he...just...thinks-
Frankie: *thinking of Albert of Coburg* I know the type
Hortense: Louis Napoléon is well...he's due this evening from America. But I wanted to talk to you before he gets here.
Frankie: naturellement
Hortense: when I die-
Frankie: perish the thought. Your Majesty is still the picture of health-
Hortense: when I die, I want your Majesty to take them in.
Frankie: they go back to their father, Madame. That was what we agreed.
Hortense: *excitably* damn what we agreed.
Frankie: *stays silent*
Hortense: if they go back to him...they will be raised with all that...Bonaparte poison filling their ears. Their hearts. They will be raised on fever dreams and live in the past. Like Bonnie Prince Charlie. Of how things should've been instead of how they are.
Frankie: *nods*
Hortense: Louis Napoléon, for all his faults...he is his father's son. I've seen the war inside him between Bonaparte and Beauharnais. The new and the old. But now there is another war looming: between your Majesty, as his emperor, and his father, father-in-law and uncles.
Frankie: except none of us are generals, Madame. Not like my father-
Hortense: I watched your father ruin *coughs* himself through his love of family. Charles saw it. To them...they cannot accept that you have decided to throw your lot with all your father stood against. To them, you should be conquering those kingdoms and setting them back on the thrones they rightfully belong on. Even Jérôme has taken to referring to presenting his children now as the "Crown Prince, Prince and Princess of Westphalia, Princess Imperial of France". They will ruin you. They will ruin my sons. And they will use my grandchildren to do it. The Bonaparte and Beauharnais War will carry forward another generation. They already resent you for having arranged dear Théodelinde's match to the duke of Modena. They feel that that should've gone to Mathilde.
Frankie: Mathilde has no money, no dowry, no family background except Protestant...the d'Estes would never have agreed.
Hortense: they see it as you favouring us over them. And then they will force you into a position you do not wish to go.
Frankie: *about to respond* *noise of a squabble from the hallway* excuse me *walks to the door* *opens it* *finds Karoline and Therese are arguing* is this what no funny business looks like?
*lots of finger pointing between the two*
Frankie: *to his daughters* hands, now.
Therese & Karoline: *both look at one another* *then glumly extend their hands as though to be kissed*
Frankie: *strikes them both on the back of their hands* *like a schoolmaster or tutor would* now...what did I threaten in the coach about misbehaving here?
Therese: *obediently* that you'll tie us to the roof of the coach with the luggage.
Hortense: your Majesty can bring them in, I don't mind.
Frankie: *over shoulder* I'd rather not, Madame. They're not fit to be seen.
Karoline: *clutching his leg* I pwomise I'll bewave
Hortense: your pappa sounds like his pappa.
Frankie: *with a why do I do this? sigh* *takes his daughters by the hand and leads them into the room to Hortense* Majesty, may I present Mademoiselle Thérèse and Mademoiselle Caroline
*both girls make an awkward curtsey*
Hortense: *looks at Caroline* were you causing trouble?
Therese: yes, Majesty
Karoline: no *shakes head emphatically* neva make twouble
Hortense: *to Frankie* I'm sure your aunt and her namesake said the same thing when she was that age.
Frankie: having spoken to the duchesse de Berri, I could quite believe that. *i.e. implying that she's not named for Caroline Murat*
Hortense: *lifts Therese onto her lap* then this one is no doubt for Madame Royal?
Frankie: for my grandmother, the Empress
Therese: *points at Gerard's portrait of Josephine* who's that, Majesty?
Hortense: that's my mother.
Karoline: *walks over to portrait for closer look* she pwetty.
Hortense; *quietly* yes...she was. She was even more beautiful if you knew her.
Frankie: a better woman than one my father got. She would've joined him on Elba...on Saint Helena. Not...left him to rot.
Hortense: I see your views towards your mother haven't softened.
Frankie: when I called in Parma with these two on my way back from Madame Louise's wedding in Naples, I was told that her Majesty would receive me but not my daughters. So I climbed back in my coach and headed for Venice. But she will expect me to call that son of hers, my brother.
Hortense: family is a wonderful comfort and a terrible curse, your Majesty. Which is why I ask what I do. That school idea of yours is good. I heard that the Queen of Sicily has persuaded her mother-in-law to send Enrico [5] there as well. Josephine and her brothers will likely be better served there than Louis giving them private tutors in Florence.
Frankie: it was never supposed to be a school. It just...*pulls face* happened.
Hortense: your father wanted to do it.
Frankie: pardon?
Hortense: in Paris. Just before he went to Russia, he spoke of building an imperial academie on the Left Bank, opposite your palais. The princes of the empire would send their sons to be educated in Paris-[6]
Frankie: to make them all subservient bootlickers
Hortense: *smiles faintly like she agrees* of course then he went to Russia and everything went down from there. So I think he would approve of what you're doing.
Frankie: except-
Hortense: your Majesty attempts to go in the opposite direction to him in so many ways, yet the difference is only one of degree. What has started out of loyalty to your cousins [Paulina, Francisca, Theodelinde] - a notion I am sure he was very familiar with - has grown - organically - by accident into something that he wished to accomplish by design. I think he would be very proud of you, your Majesty, for accomplishing what he could not.
Frankie: *scoffs* he'd have called me a damned cowardly fool is what he'd have thought. He would order me shot as the duc d'Enghien.
Hortense: perhaps. But perhaps that is why you have succeeded better in eighteen months than he did in eighteen years. You have governments friendly to you in Portugal, Spain, England, Naples, Modena, Tuscany, without even unsheathing your sword. Perhaps because you haven't.
Frankie: you left out Greece. Cousin Othon's coming to Venice in the New Year.
Hortense: I rest my case.
Chamberlain: your Majesty, the children have returned
Hortense: *puts Therese off her lap* *stands up achily* *offers her arm to Frankie* *cheerfully* shall we go greet them your Majesty?
Frankie: of course, Madame

*cut to the rest of the afternoon* *in various rooms of the house we see Frankie showing off his daughters/son[7] to the other guests* *the Beauharnais have turned out in full force* *the Crown Princess of Sweden* *the Crown Prince and pregnant Princess of Modena* *the Empress Brasil and her daughter* *Prince Vasa, his wife and their daughter, Carola* *Stephanie de Beauharnais, Grand Princess of Baden* *the Prince of Sigmaringen, his wife and their children, Leopold and Stephanie* *Monsieur Charles arriving with his brother and sister-in-law* *their children excitedly running to greet them* *Hortense talking to her elder son, gesturing at Frankie. Louis Napoléon first shaking his head. Then his wife puts her hand on his arm and nods. He agrees* *Frankie sharing a cigarette in the courtyard with his nephew, Maximilien de Beauharnais* *the children running around together happily* *Hortense sitting at the head of the dining table as the family enjoys swapping stories* *in short, by comparison to the squabbling we've seen from the Bonapartes, the Beauharnais give the impression of a typical bourgeoisie family reunion*

*cut to morning* *the house is quiet*
Hortense: *lying in bed when the door to her bedroom opens*
Abbé Bertrand: you sent for me Madame?
Hortense: *smiles sweetly* oui Monsieur l'Abbé. But only for a moment...then we shall take our departure together.
Abbé Bertrand: *confused by her words* Madame? *walks over to bed when she doesn't respond* *he checks her pulse* *then kneels at the bed whispering* Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis...

*fade to black*

[1] Well, then? I'll go far away
[2] Karoline's a bit of a scamp, bit like her dad. She's also four, so she's going through that "wonderful" phase where they do the opposite of everything you tell them to do.
[3] I have no idea whether Abbé Bertrand was still alive or not, but I couldn't find the name of any other priest associated intimately with Hortense. He was tutor to her sons until roughly 1820 IIRC
[4] Hortense apparently died of cancer, but its not said "what" cancer. Some sources speculate it was uterine cancer while another calls it cancer of the throat, another speculates breast/lung cancer
[5] this would be the illegitimate son of Queen Maria Isabel by Count von Schmucker, born in 1833.
[6] this isn't Hortense flattering him, according to a book on Percier and Fontaine this was a genuine plan in the spring of 1812
[7] I know Frankie dragging his kids behind him like a frigging pull-toy sounds a bit extreme, but as a kid who was abandoned by his mother, he's going to want to make very certain that his kids a) don't feel like that and b) he probably doesn't trust anyone not to slip them something. They may be bastards, but according to the Napoleonic Constitution he has the right to adopt them and name them his successor if he so wishes

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Tarabas @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @Fehérvári @kaiidth @Curtain Jerker @LordKalvan @Taloc13 @Beacon @TimTurner @John Farson @Old1812 @TheBeanieBaron @Electric Monk @Francesco.russo @EMT @euromellows @TeePee @SavoyTruffle @raharris1973 @Xenophonte @colleoni @Kurt_Steiner @Wendell @KingSweden24 @Basileus_Komnenos

Franz is such a good dad. I'll never get tired of seeing it.

And his conmections and influnce grow by the day.
now imagine him coming back to Venice with a whole damn caravan of Beauharnais:
Josephine, Louis Joseph and Henri Bonaparte
Amelia of Brasil (and her mom)
Theodelinde and her husband maybe stop off on their way home
The Vasas might drop in with Carola
Maximilien de Beauharnais (because he needs to get married and I'm sure Frankie has some obliging girl available)
OTL Napoleon III
And he arrives to find that Maria Cristina and Munoz are also in town with their kids.

Wasn't the traditional Habsburg Motto something along the lines of "What Mars grants to others, Venus gives to thee?"

Frankie is really taking that to heart, it seems

Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory
Soundtrack: Wilhelm Friedrich Ernst Bach[1]: Columbus oder Die Entdeckung von Amerika

*exterior shot of the Venetian Arsenale* *we see well-dressed men in heavy coats and top-hats walking along the docks* *one is using his walking stick as a sort of pointer as he explains*
Frankie: *wearing mourning band on his arm* -it will obviously need quite a lot of investment to get it back up to the standards of fifty years ago, gentlemen *looks at Louise d'Artois, the pregnant Théodelinde and Empress Amelie* and ladies, but hopefully...you can see that this plan is not only to create an Austrian navy - not a Venetian navy in Austrian uniform - is not as far fetched as all that. Herr Rothschild *gestures with his cane at Salomon von Rothschild who some of the other [Catholic] gentlemen are shrinking away from* has proved more than happy to support this venture. Nor is he the only one. We have support from the duke of Teschen [2] *smiles* and Prince Adalbert, who has...graciously agreed to join us since his ideas are not welcome in his native Berlin.
Ferdinando II of Sicily[3]: your Serene Highness, if i may...surely you don't intend to build a fleet like fifty years ago? Even ten years ago-
Frankie: twenty years ago the Austrian navy had only two active frigates, after Prince Metternich sold the others to the Khedive of Egypt[4]. Nearly ten years ago, the Sultan of Morocco was forced to pay money to Vienna. That money was supposed to be earmarked *starts walking again* for the development of an Austrian navy...but...is anyone surprised that it didn't get there? *grins*
*some scattered chuckles from the group*
Frankie: well...while very elegant and I'm sure Herr Leitenberger *smiles at Ignaz* would be thrilled to be offered the contract for supplying the canvas, I'm afraid the uniforms for the ships will have to suffice. *chuckles* *introduces a man with dark hair and a hooked nose* Now, for those of you who do not remember - I certainly wouldn't have known him had Baron Kudriaffsky not made our acquaintance - is Herr Ressel, a genius of our own time...the one and only inventor of the screw-propellor that will allow a ship to move regardless of wind or current.
Othon of Greece: wasn't there an explosion of that, though?
Ressel: *looks embarrassed*
Frankie: there was. But Herr Ressel has had a decade to fix the problem, haven't you Joseph?
Ressel: yes, your Serene Highness.
Frankie: *nods to Prince Louis Napoléon* and as a matter of fact, he's even built a working prototype, funded of course by our esteemed friend, Prince Furstenberg.
Louis Napoléon[5]: *steps forward holding a small model of a ship on a cushion* *he shows it to the rest of the party*
Maximilian of Bavaria: *bored* you brought us all the way here to show us a child's toy.
Louis Napoléon: not a toy, your Highness *shows it to Othon, Ferdinando and Louise, Henri de Chambord, Sebastian of Portugal, Juan de Montizon, Leopoldo II of Tuscany and Francesco of Modena* a working model for Herr Ressel to demonstrate with.
Ressel: *gingerly takes the model off the cushion and kneels to put it in the water* *borrows Frankie's cigarette lighter and lights a wick [representative of a stove] in the middle of the deck* *within moments the model ship is busy puffing merrily along in the water* *to oohs from the assembled crowd*
Leopoldo: so it works like a train, just running on the ocean instead of iron rails.
Ressel: precisely your Grand Ducal Highness.
Frankie: you know, when one of the inventors approached my father about this back then, he claimed it was preposterous. A ship not at the mercy of the wind or tides, or lighting a fire on a ship's deck to get it to go anywhere...isn't that right, Marmont[6]?
Marmont, Duc de Raguse: he said it several times, sir
Frankie: and here we are, before even a generation has passed [7] watching a "toy" run around in circles on the water.
Othon: shouldn't we stop it?
Ressel: it'll stop when the wick burns down, your Majesty.
*leads the group onwards*
Frankie: Ressel, you can join us when you're finished.
Ressel: *bows*
Frankie: Ladies and gentlemen, I don't think it is beyond silly to say that this is the future, don't you agree Admiral Miaoulis,[8]
Miaoulis: if we'd had ships like that, we should've made quick work of the Turks at Navarino and Missolonghi would never have fallen
Frankie: *smirks* and those Ionian Islands would belong to Greece and not to Great Britain?
Miaoulis: of course, sir.
Othon: *like he knows where this line of questioning will lead* Admiral, I've told you before that I do not wish to quarrel with London.
Frankie: pity...moving on *carries on with his tour*

*that night before dinner at the Palazzo Correr*
Frankie: so she just broke it off? No...reason why?
Othon: none that she gave.
Frankie: O, swear not by the moon, th'inconstant moon, That monthly changes in her circled orb, Lest that thy love prove likewise variable.
Othon: *looks at him like "you sound like my dad"*
Frankie: *gets look* who is that...delicious creature my cousin returned with from Munich?
Othon: that's the widowed Frau von Schintling[9]
Frankie: *pushy tone* in case you were wondering, your Royal Highness...that's what we call a hint and I'd like you to introduce us
Othon: but we were talking about Amalie-
Frankie: no, you were talking about a pretty little - I'd call her a nothing, but since she is my best friend's cousin, that's probably rude - from Oldenburg. I was pretending to listen and care. Now, if you could pretend to do the same and introduce us, that'd be wonderful. And I promise that I will listen to you most attentively if I come back.
Othon: you mean when.
Frankie: *butter wouldn't melt in his mouth* of course.

*few minutes later*
Frankie: you have no idea how much of a headache you have saved me, Frau von Schintling.
Amalie von Schintling: I did see your Serene Highness nodding off while King Othon was talking to you-
Frankie: and here I thought I had everyone fooled.
Amalie: unfortunately, the current generation of Wittelsbachs are...rather uninspiring *looks at Max disapprovingly* I rest my case. *looks at Othon* and here we see a little boy who rules a country his dad wanted him to, listening to advisors daddy appoints, living in a capital daddy chose, even sleeping with the same woman as daddy *looks pointedly at Baroness von Venningen[9] laughing with Othon* *touching his shoulder*
Frankie: well...aren't you the knowledgeable one.
Amalie: *smiles*
Frankie: my opinion, that nobody asked for, is that it sounds very much like King Ludwig is doing to Greece what my father tried to do to most of Europe. Sit in Paris and attempt to dictate what time the museums in Warsaw should open.
Amalie: *laughs*
Frankie: my father should be a reminder of what happens to men who try to rule like that.
Amalie: there are many in Bavaria who suggest that you already have Lisbon, Madrid and Naples under your thrall, even Venice quakes at your footsteps, Where next? Vienna?
Frankie: then those that say that are wrong. I have no interest in ruling Lisbon or Madrid. What my father did was he tried to rule nations as unlike the French as though they were Frenchmen. Make them good little French subjects. In some places - such as Dalmatia and Raguse *looks at Marmont talking to the Empress of Brasil* but in others it was...decidedly inadequate. Spain is a good example. Tirol another. The Netherlands a third. It's like I always tell my daughters: his eyes were too big for his stomach.
Amalie: and our son?
Frankie: Leopold is well...we can go see him after dinner.
Amalie: not in that tone of voice I won't Frank. Not even with the whole Austrian navy as chaperones.
Frankie: you mean both frigates, the brig and the schooner will be watching?
Amalie: be serious.
Frankie: fine...*pouty* I have an option of a bride for Othon, but I'm not sure if he'll bite.
Amalie: *mockingly as Baroness von Venningen passes* did his dad sleep with her. That's usually a good way of knowing he will.
Frankie: *smiles* I think her father and uncle would have rather a lot to say about that.
Amalie: not the duke of Teschen's daughter, surely?
Frankie: I have other plans for her *looks at Max of Bavaria*
Amalie: they suit one another.
Frankie: *smirks* I know.
Amalie: so who for Othon? One of his sisters *looks at King Ferdinando II talking to the crown prince of Modena*
Chamberlain: His Majesty, the King of Württemberg! Their Royal Highnesses, Princess Sophie and Princess Marie of Württemberg
Amalie: *about the king* he already said no.
Frankie: the duke of Modena said no to Théodelinde, in fact, I believe his exact words were over my dead body. Well...he's still alive and Théodelinde will be the next duchess. Louise d'Artois was a poor little Cinderella that the king of Sicily wouldn't look twice at,,,give her a nice dowry and some expensive jewellery and thank you. Moral of the story: everyone has a price. *smiles* wish me luck.

*fade to black as he walks off*

[1] last surviving descendant of the great Johann Sebastian Bach
[2] weirdly enough, Karl of Teschen was the "Inspector General of the Austrian Navy"
[3] little known fact (or at least, I didn't know it) was that King Bomb was actually a bit of a navy nut OTL
[4] pretty much true of the 1820s
[5] bearing Hortense's words in mind, Frankie has come up with a solution that will satisfy everyone. Louis Napoléon and his wife clearly don't want to live away from their kids, and since the kids are "at school" at the Ca' Rezzonico, the parents have little option but to move to Venice
[6] Auguste de Marmont, Duc de Ragusa. Hewas tutor to Frankie for a while after the July Revolution, then went into the service of Palatine Joseph, wandered through Italy, Egypt, Turkey and Persia and then Italy again. It's not unlikely that he was accompanying Frankie and co for their "roadtrip" and probably most of what Frankie knows about Hungary comes from Stephan or Marmont's 1837 4 volume book Voyage en Hongrie. Marmont's estranged wife was good friends with Queen Hortense, as well as having connections to several Parisian/Swiss banking/political families
[7] roughly 25 years back in the 19th century
[8] Andreas Miaoulis,, the famed Greek admiral of the War of Independence (where, while Austria was neutral, she sold ships to the Turkish and Egyptian enemy fleets during this time), lives a bit longer here (he died in 1835 OTL). Frankie allows Austria to reach a "rapprochement" with Athens by allowing the Napoleonic Frankie to run the show. Miaoulis' son, Athanase, was adjutant to King Othon, so his accompanying them isn't a crazy idea
[9] Amalie von Schintling died at aged 19 of tuberculosis in 1831, here, her husband/cousin dies instead, leaving her the pretty young widow
Amalie-Von-Schintling-1831.jpg
[10] Jane Digby was married to the Baron von Venningen until 1842, but sleeping with Ludwig, Othon and she'd meet her third husband, Theotokis while sleeping with General Hatzipetros
@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Tarabas @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @Fehérvári @kaiidth @Curtain Jerker @LordKalvan @Taloc13 @Beacon @TimTurner @John Farson @Old1812 @TheBeanieBaron @Electric Monk @Francesco.russo @EMT @euromellows @TeePee @SavoyTruffle @raharris1973 @Xenophonte @colleoni @Kurt_Steiner @Wendell @KingSweden24 @Basileus_Komnenos @Earl Marshal @Rattenfänger von Memphis

Last edited:
Frankie's machinations and plans are already in motion, he's the chocolatier and Eropean royalty are his products to mold and create.

Frankie's machinations and plans are already in motion, he's the chocolatier and Eropean royalty are his products to mold and create.
Wilhelm I took Sophie and Marie on a tour of Italy in 1834/1836 depending on the sources consulted. And his son, Karl, met Olga Nikolaïevna in Venice as well. So them being there isn't that odd. Frankie's perfectly timed his ambush as well: Württemberg refusing Othon or Bavaria alone is a "minor" incident. Particularly given Wilhelm I and Ludwig I's history and known dislike of one another. But here, if he refuses, it will be in front of the king of Portugal, the king of Spain's brother, the king of Sicily, the grand duke of Tuscany and the duke of Modena not to mention the "king" of France. Makes it damnably awkward for him to refuse without losing face diplomatically.

And if Henri perhaps "prepped" the ground for Sophie to refuse Willem III; he's just come from the Hague, him saying about what a "gorilla" Wim is casually at a dinner (Henri might genuinely think this after meeting him) in Stuttgart (Wilhelm I seemed to think Sophie would be able to dominate her less-intelligent husband)...if Henri were to refute that idea to give the king pause for thought, it could also play a role. For his part, Frankie might have offered some choice words to Prince Vasa or Princess Furstenberg (born of Baden) about Othon that he counts on it getting back to Amalie of Oldenburg.

So Othon gets a liberal, politically savvy queen plus a Russian connection here, and potentially children - if the problem was Amalia's Mullerian agnesis

Éljen a Magyar
Soundtrack: Weber, Andante e Rondo Ungharese for Bassoon and Orchestra

*exterior shot of Buda, Obuda and Pest* *its pouring with rain* *at lightning flashes we see St. Stephen's Cathedral, Buda Castle and several other prominent landmarks* *we become slowly conscious of the rising level of water*
*exterior shot* *the rain is finally stopped* *but we see a boat travelling down Vaci Utca [1] ordinarily thronging with pedestrians and carriages*
*in the boat*
Stephan: *looks around him* *sees a dog swimming desperately in the current* *directs the boatman to the dog* *when the boatman objects* Noah sent out a dove, maybe that's ours.
Boatman: *doesn't look convinced*
Stephan: *splashes the water to beckon the dog over* *dog swims over and tries desperately to clamber aboard* *its your typical street mutt* *Stephan reaches down and scoops it into the boat* *he laughs as the dog shakes itself dry* *the street is so deserted that his laughter echoes between the buildings* *to dog* where did you come from, hmm? *looks around* *trying to see if perhaps there were people trapped somewhere or the dog jumped out of a window of an upper story into the water*
*but there's nothing* *in fact, the spectre is almost as though he's Orpheus in Charon's boat being rowed down the Styx*

*cut to a veritable tent city on the outskirts of town* *two older men are bent over the table as Stephan stops in front of it* *he salutes*
Joseph, Palatine of Hungary: *to his son* you find anyone, Pista[2]?
Stephan: about a half dozen or so were cowering in attics, sir. If it hadn't been for Bela here *looks down at dog* we wouldn't have found three of them *squats next to dog*
Joseph: *looks down at dog* *like he's wondering to shoot it or pet it* Bela?
Stephan: we found him in Belváros [3] *smiles at the joke*
Joseph: *rolls his eyes like "you've been spending too much time with that Bonaparte boy"*
Stephan: how goes the war, Comte?
Comte Lonyay: slow...your Imperial Highness...we've only just re-established contact with Vienna...first time in a week that the post has been able to get through. Over two hundred houses collapsed on the one side of the river alone. A lot less than on the other side...Jozefvaros, Ferencvaros, Terezvaros we're looking at possibly over a thousand...we're still busy trying to map the full extent.
Stephan: *gives low whistle*
Joseph: and like any war, there's men that deserve to be shot for cowardice.
Stephan: so they must drown because they aren't allowed to escape.
Joseph: *disgustedly* I'm not talking about them *he seems to have made up his mind about the dog* *since he's now scratching it behind the ears* I'm talking about Baron Czekonics...he was more worried about saving his horses than saving people. and Pronay de Totprona just sat watching people drown and smoking his damned pipe! [4] When I asked him why he hadn't tried to help, Pronay told me that "why should I risk myself to save some worthless-" well, you can imagine what he called them.
Stephan: and then everyone wonders why those people he let drown hate us.
Joseph: sets us back fifty years is what his behaviour does. Don't worry about them, they only worried about themselves.
Stephan: sounds like Paris in 1789
Joseph: *half smiling* your mother wasn't even thought of then, what do you know of 1789? *ruffles his son's hair affectionately*
Stephan: that nobody wants it to happen again. That's pretty much all Frankie spoke about the whole time we were in Italy
Joseph: *opens flap of tent to look out over tent city* *smiles at his daughter, Hermine, who's busy helping the people her brother brought to the "settlement" get settled in* *she has a notepad and a list as she points things out to them* so...*sarcastically* how would your friend deal with a situation like this. I've got close to... *takes deep breath* twenty thousand who have lost their homes, their incomes, their possessions, and a few thouasnd more from Pest who have lost just their homes. I've got nobles complaining about this and that. I've got Jacobins who should be locked up. And I've got merchants who think they've got it bad because all their stock they had had brought in for the fair on the 19th has been destroyed[5]. So they're whining about how much money they lost, like they're expecting me to pay for the damages.
Stephan: pick up the Jacobins first. They'll sow dissent among the rest. And when you've got a "village" of this size...full of people who lost everything...they're gonna be looking for someone to blame. Then lock up ones like Czekonics and Pronay as well - or at least banish them from town for a while...not gonna be too popular if its seems like you're siding with them.
Joseph: you realize that was a rhetorical question.
Stephan: then consider it a suggestion *walks out of tent, whistles for Bela*

*fade to black*

[1] nowadays, this is tourist central, some even comparing it to 5th Avenue, New York. I've never been to Budapest, so anyone who has can correct me. One of the "anchor" shops on the street is the fashion house of Alter es Kiss (est. 1829), which dressed several famous central European figures like Empress Sisi, several archduchesses, Empress Auguste of Weimar, her sister-in-law, Elisabeth of Bavaria, Empress Maria Feodorovna
[2] Hungarian diminutive for Stephan/Istvan
[3] Inner City, Budapest
[4] sadly both OTL apparently
[5] St. Joseph's Fair on 19 March

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Tarabas @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @Fehérvári (I wrote this from what I could find online about the flood, not a lot in English besides that the water was 8m deep in places and the numbers mentioned above) @kaiidth @Curtain Jerker @LordKalvan @Taloc13 @Beacon @TimTurner @John Farson @Old1812 @TheBeanieBaron @Electric Monk @Francesco.russo @EMT @euromellows @TeePee @SavoyTruffle @raharris1973 @Xenophonte @colleoni @Kurt_Steiner @Wendell @KingSweden24 @Basileus_Komnenos @Earl Marshal @Rattenfänger von Memphis

@Fehérvári (I wrote this from what I could find online about the flood, not a lot in English besides that the water was 8m deep in places and the numbers mentioned above)
The damage was enormous, overall 50k people were displaced and a total of 10k houses were destroyed, however the record height of the flood was only 2,6 meters, at Ferencváros on the 15th of March.

Was Stephan's rescue-boat action inspired by the OTL feats of Wesselényi? Or are there two "boatmen of the flood" ITTL?

Great update, btw!

Last edited:
for Wellington's taking of the city? orit being the origin of the bayonet?
For being home to the Bayonne decrees that sent the Spanish Bourbons packing originally. A Bonapartist restoration attempt there brought on by someone serving in a Carlist army is truly special.

Was Stephan's rescue-boat action inspired by the OTL feats of Wesselényi? Or are there two "boatmen of the flood" ITTL?
in part by Wesselenyi (who still does the lion's share), in partby the scene at the end of Titanic where the lifeboats are rowing around crying "is anyone alive out there?" Mostly though, I was imagining that the boat isn't the "traditional" boat that you'd find, but rather an invention of Juan de Montizon's that he offered the Carlist army OTL (I can't find when it was offered thought) but there's no proof it was accepted. Basically the boat that Juan invented was the forerunner of modern assault boats/landing craft/rubber ducks (minus the rubber part) that were collapsible and to be used by the army for fording rivers. Stephan using one in Budapest - where likely nobody has seen one - to get around is actually a "walking advertisement" to the Austrian army and the new navy of "buy one now and we'll throw in a free set of steak knives". After all, this gives them a chance to see what it can do "outside" of military context, Stephan's stepmom/Vienna ain't gonna be heartbroken if it capsizes and he drowns, and makes it look like the army's refusal to "give it a shot" is because they're rigid.

Reason I focused on him rescuing the dog (the traditional emblem of loyalty/fidelity) from the water rather than the people is Kant's remark about "we can tell much about a man by how he treats his animals". Plus Samuel Johnson's "that the true greatness of a man is measured by how he treats someone [or in this case, something] who can do him no good". Because no doubt the Vienna government will do what they did OTL and paint Joseph/Lonyay's actions as attempting to "tear Hungary away". Mean...from what I read, Joseph had plans that would've modernized Budapest's settlement (and prohibited many people to go home and rebuild) but Vienna only approved them in the 1850s due to opposition. So there's already something that can be exploited: Joseph/Stephan's got a "voice" in Vienna that likely means we could see the plans implimented at least a decade earlier with a few words dropped in the right ear.