Filipinas: La Gloriosa y Más Allá

Mostly, as the second language/lingua franca; in this TL, only the provinces of Bulacan and Nueva Ecija has the large population of monolingual Spanish speakers (due to migrations and intermarriage)

Hmmm. This is interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions.
However, if the Philippines achieved its independence, there is a necessity to write a new constitution.
Besides, a "Papal Republic" is actually violating the separation of Church and State as depicted both in the 1869 Spanish Constitution and the Basic Law (in this TL, a Catholic Hohenzollern (Leopoldo I) is the King of Spain, remember?)
Yes, Filipinos in this TL will call them colloquially as "Presidente"

Ok, I'm dropping the "Papal Republic" proposal. But even if there is going to be independence, I'm looking of a retention of the Basic Law of the Philippine Islands in theory but the amendments actually revised it in practice due to independence. I just want some kind of political continuity. And I would love the Canadian/Australian model of a ceremonial Governor-General and then a parliamentary President in a federal system. Wow. :D

English will be taught as an elective subject on foreign languages.

Oh. That's kinda..... ok I think. Hehehe.

Ok, I'm dropping the "Papal Republic" proposal. But even if there is going to be independence, I'm looking of a retention of the Basic Law of the Philippine Islands in theory but the amendments actually revised it in practice due to independence. I just want some kind of political continuity. And I would love the Canadian/Australian model of a ceremonial Governor-General and then a parliamentary President in a federal system. Wow. :D
Yeah, it will remain a constitutional monarchy.

Timeline of Events, 1880-86

5 July:
The new Junta General sworn before the Governor-General at the Malacañang Palace. While most of the ministers of former President Pardo de Tavera retained their positions, Graciano Lopez Jaena sworn in as the Vice-President of the Junta General.​

7 July:
The old proposal of expanding the Cortes into a bicameral legislature was revived by the Vice President of the Junta General. Graciano Lopez Jaena argued that the legislature should reflected the demographics of the Islands.​
IMG_1094.jpg
Graciano Lopez Jaena, Vice-President of the Junta General

9 July:
Both the Junta President and the Leader of the Opposition received letters from the President of the Spanish Government Canovas del Castillo; the topic is about the future of the Islands as a political entity. Sr. del Pilar explained in his reply that the Philippines must choose its own future as a political entity; though he never mentioned "self-determination", he wrote that the Islands is "mature enough" politically, economically and socially.
On his reply to the letter, Sr. Azcárraga Palmero always consider the Philippines as part of the Kingdom of Spain, though he said that the Islands are already "self-governed".​

13 July:
The Junta President received the report about the status of the Manila-Dagupan Railway. According to the said report, 29% of the railway was completed.​

15 July:
The Junta General announced before the Manila press that they'll set up a legislation regarding the immigration policy of the Islands; at that time, the Philippine Islands experience a moderate but strong immigration; the majority were Chinese, but there are slow increase of Japanese and even Indian immigrants; Spaniard immigrants were still important, though they're less in number than their Chinese counterparts.​

Bravo, bravo. :D

The immigrants are now arriving big time... I would also love just some German immigrants.

How's Blumentritt doing right now? Would we be receiving Latino immigrants too? I would love the Philippines be a small version of America "receiving the downtrodden, oppressed peoples of the Old World".... but also now including the New World. Besides, our country is still very sparsely populated at this juncture of history.

Timeline of Events, 1880-86 (continuation)

August:
In the Bangsamoro territories, elections were held for the very first time for their respective assemblies Although the political parties were not well-established at this moment, the candidates presented their ideas and visions to the people. As decreed by the Dewan, the assemblies' role is to initiate legislation and form a government. Nevertheless, councils like Sulu's Ruma Bichara will remain as the upper house of the legislatures of every "nation" in the Bangsamoro Territory
September:
The Junta President received a letter from the President of the Spanish Government within a month. In his letter to Sr. del Pilar, Canovas del Castillo said that he will visit the Philippines "within a month or two". If the visit continued, Canovas del Castillo will be the first President of the Spanish Government to visit the Islands.​

14 October:
The first day of Canovas del Castillo's visit in Manila: He went to Malacañang Palace to have a courtesy call with the Governor-General. The President of the Spanish Government and Sr. de la Torre discussed the recent development of the Islands. Later in that day, a state dinner was held in the dining room of the palace[1], along with the Junta President and some members of the Cabinet, including Junta Vice-President Lopez Jaena.​
state_dining_dm.jpg]
The Dining Room of Malacañang Palace​

15 October:
The second day of Canovas del Castillo's visit in Manila: He attended the Cabinet meeting in the Palacio del Gobernador in Intramuros. After that, he had a private meeting with the Junta President Marcelo H. del Pilar. According to press report, the meeting is supposedly about the future status of the Philippine Islands as a political entity.
16 October:
Third and last day of Canovas del Castillo's visit in Manila: He addressed the Cortes in a special session of the legislature. In his speech, the President of the Spanish Government stated that the Philippines can choose its own destiny regarding its future.​

November:
Almost a month after the visit of the President of the Spanish Government, the newspapers received from their colleagues in Madrid that the rumors regarding the breaking up of the Philippines into three regions were true; it was proposed by the Home Minister Francisco Silvela y de Le Vielleuze. According to the reports received by the newspapers, Sr. Silvela argued the distance, as well as differences between Manila and Davao de Nueva Guipuzcoa[2]. In short, governing from Manila was impossible, not knowing the fact that the Islands is now self-governed under a federal-parliamentary system. The response to the news was of indignation and dispappointment.​
image103.jpg

Francisco Silvela y de Le Vielleuze
Minister of Home Affairs under Canovas del Castillo administration

Notes:
[1] In OTL this room was the ballroom under the Spanish era.
[2] In OTL, Davao City obviously

Last edited:
Bravo, bravo. :D
The immigrants are now arriving big time... I would also love just some German immigrants.
There are some European immigrants for sure (German and Swiss, included), but most of the immigrants were from Asia like China, Japan and even India and/or Korea.

How's Blumentritt doing right now? Would we be receiving Latino immigrants too? I would love the Philippines be a small version of America "receiving the downtrodden, oppressed peoples of the Old World".... but also now including the New World. Besides, our country is still very sparsely populated at this juncture of history.
Not quite like the United States, but because most the immigrants were male (and eventually marrying Filipinas [both non-Spanish and Spanish-speaking provinces, including Manila)], they'll assimilate quickly to the society.

There are some European immigrants for sure (German and Swiss, included), but most of the immigrants were from Asia like China, Japan and even India and/or Korea.

Well, Korean immigrants arriving way earlier than OTL would be great.

Not quite like the United States, but because most the immigrants were male (and eventually marrying Filipinas [both non-Spanish and Spanish-speaking provinces, including Manila)], they'll assimilate quickly to the society.

Is this the case in OTL, with a large male-female disparity?

Would this disparity be temporary?

How's Blumentritt? Will he visit the country and go as far as staying? ;)

Well, Korean immigrants arriving way earlier than OTL would be great.
Yeah, there will be immigration from Korea, but smaller in number

Is this the case in OTL, with a large male-female disparity?
Would this disparity be temporary?
in OTL, yes. most immigrants to the Philippines were male, married local women and started a family.

How's Blumentritt? Will he visit the country and go as far as staying? ;)
Maybe. Let's see... ;)

Last edited:

1880​

December:
A day after the Governor-General signed the 1881 Budget of the Junta General, he wrote to a letter to President of the Spanish Government Canovas del Castillo regarding the future of the Philippines. In his letter, Carlos Ma. de la Torre said that the President must discipline his Interior Minister for his plan to politically divide into three regions, in which he described as "insensitive" and "not reflecting the present situation of the Philippine Islands"​

1881​

January:
In response to the Spanish Interior Minister's plan on the future of the Islands as a political entity, the Junta General announced it will present a law that allow the people to decide on the future of the Philippines. In short, they're proposing a Law of Referendums.
Meanwhile in Madrid, the opposition accused the Liberal-Conservador government of antagonizing its relation with the Junta General in Manila. Opposition leader Cristino Martos accused the President of Spanish Government (as well the Interior Minister) of not recognizing the sacrifices of the Filipino intellectuals of constructing a government of their own and treating the Islands like an old colony.​

February:
After two months of waiting, the Governor-General received a letter in his office. It was from the Ministry of Interior. In his letter, Minister Silvela explained his plan by detail. While reading it, Sr. de la Torre felt he was disappointed. He replied by telegraph:
"I AM DISAPPOINTED BY YOUR EXPLANATION STOP SHOWS YOUR BOURBON-ERA MINDSET AND POINT OF VIEW STOP

March:
The Law of Referendums was approved by the Cortes by absolute majority. According to the said law, a referendum will be held as soon as possible, regarding issues related to the future of the Philippines or any constitutional amendments. After signing the law in Malacañang Palace, the Governor-General explained to the press that the law is important for the future, as the government of Spanish President Canovas del Castillo resisted the calls from the opposition to retire Interior Minister Silvela's plan.​

April:
The Manila newspapers published news from Madrid that the Interior Minister's plan to divide the Philippine into three separate regions is now cancelled due to the pressure of the opposition and the advice of the Spanish President Canovas, though Minister Silvela clarified that the plan will be included in his agenda. The reaction of the Junta General was mixed: Disappointed that the minister never scrapped his project, but relieved that it was suspended, for now.​

Last edited:

May:
The Cortes of the Junta General passed the Immigration and Citizenship Law by 58-10. The said law explained the requirements of a foreign-born immigrant to be a citizen of the Philippines. After signing the law, the Governor-General clarified that naturalized citizens and the natives are still equal above the law of the Islands.
June:
The Education Minister proposed a law that requires every language in the Islands to create their own academies; it explained that these academies could help in the development and normalization of the languages. Though he agreed in the minister's proposal, the Leader of the Opposition casted a doubt on the part of "normalization", citing the possible danger to the Spanish language in the Islands. Mariano Alvarez replied that even Spanish will have its own academy in the Philippines, citing the effectiveness of bilingual education in non-Spanish speaking provinces.​

July:
Representatives of the Mindanao territories (Misamis, Butuan, Dadiangas[1], Davao and most of Zamboanga) went to Malacañang Palace to meet with the Governor-General and the Junta President. Their objective is to talk about the ascension of the territories into provinces. The meeting lasted for two hours. More meetings followed for the next 10 days.​

August:
After two months of discussion, the Cortes of the Junta General passed the Law of Language Academies, which required every major language in the Islands to set up their own academies to "enrich and develop the language"; the law includes the establishment of the Philippine Academy of the Spanish Language.​

September:
The Junta President presented a proposed legislation that will ascend the four major territories in Mindanao into provinces. Marcelo H. del Pilar justified the said proposal, saying that the territories are "mature enough" to stay in their present status.​

Note:
[1] Dadiangas in OTL: South Cotabato, Saranggani, and Sultan Kudarat

Immigration and Citizenship Law

According to the said law, the requirements of an immigrant to be obtain a citizenship:

1. He must be 25 years of age and above.
2. Resident of a Philippine province in the last 10 years.
3. Fluent in Spanish (if he's a resident of a Spanish-speaking province) or fluent in Spanish and local language (if he's a resident of a non-Spanish-speaking province)
4. Married to a local resident.
5. Have a stable income and a stable occupation.

The Filipino oath of citizenship:
I, (name of the immigrant), solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Crown of Spain, the Spanish Constitution and the Basic Law of the Philippine Islands and obey the laws of the Spanish Government and the Junta General, as well as the laws of the province of my residence. I hereby declare that I accept and recognize the authority of the Kingdom of Spain and the Philippine Islands and will maintain true faith and allegiance thereto; and that I imposed this obligation upon myself voluntarily without mental reservation or purpose of evasion. So help me God."
The oath will be recited on the day of his naturalization.

Last edited:
May I point out the unlikeliness of Spain giving so much independence to the Philippines, up to the point that citizenship is Filipino instead of Spanish, and just in 1881? I know you said that this was just a spin-off of my own story, but aren't you taking things a bit too fast?

May I point out the unlikeliness of Spain giving so much independence to the Philippines, up to the point that citizenship is Filipino instead of Spanish, and just in 1881? I know you said that this was just a spin-off of my own story, but aren't you taking things a bit too fast?
Not that too fast, but the Reformistas are for the self-determination and self-rule of the Islands, though they never regarded complete independence. Regarding the Citizenship Law, it's automatic that they're also Spaniards. Nevertheless, I'll edit it, so thanks for the concern.

Last edited:

18 September:
On the 13th anniversary of the Glorious Revolution (La Gloriosa), 300 people sworn before the Governor-General in the Malacañang Palace. Carlos Maria de la Torre explained that he chose the date to let the new citizens of the Islands (and automatically, of Spain) feel the spirit and legacy of the revolution. According to the newspaper reports, similar events were held across the country. On the said event at the palace, half of them (150) were Chinese, 50 were Spaniards (mostly Catalans and Basques), 40 were Japanese and 60 were other nationalities.​

October:
The representatives of the Mindanao territories met for the last time with the Governor-General and the Junta President in the Malacañang Palace. The meeting was about the final preparations for admitting the territories as new provinces.​

November:
The Governor-General signed the special law that upgraded the territories of Misamis, Butuan, Dadiangas, Davao and most of Zamboanga (well known as the Subanen Country) into separate provinces. Though they sent delegates to the Cortes of the Junta General, the law automatically applies the election of the delegates to the new province; in the case of Subanen Country, they'll elect delegates for the very first time. In overall, the Cortes are now composed of 70 delegates.​

December:
Having felt that the Junta General in Manila neglected their needs, representatives of the Pacific colonies appealed to Madrid for the establishment of a separate Junta General for their colonies. They submitted a letter to the President of Spanish Government Canovas del Castillo and Home Affairs Minister Francisco Silvela.​

The Philippine Map

This is the political map of the Philippine Island (as of 1881)
(I apologized if it's made of Microsoft Paint)

2im41ud.jpg

Last edited:

1882​

January:
After 9 years of exile in Hong Kong, Francisco Saldua returned to the Philippines.[1] He brought his family back home[2] (renamed María Paz) and their three children). While his return to the Islands was not immediate news item for items, it became the headline of every paper two days later. The impact of the his return surprised Saldua.​

February:
A month after the return of Fernando Saldua to the Islands, he was summoned to the Malacañang Palace by the Governor-General. He was formally pardoned by Sr. de la Torre, in which surprised the returned exile, as he said to the press. A week later, he was summoned by the Junta President Marcelo H. del Pilar at the Palacio del Gobernador in the Intramuros.​

March:
The Junta President received the updated report on the construction of the Manila-Dagupan Railway. According to the said report, the railway was 45% complete. Marcelo H. del Pilar noted the "slow but steady" progress of the construction of the railway​

April:
In the Manila newspaper El Porvenir, Francisco Saldua narrated his nine years in Hong Kong: He worked for the Spanish Consulate and at the same time served as a member of the Filipino community in the British colony, learned English and Cantonese (because of his wife's family), and receiving news from the Islands through newspapers. When he was asked about the present situation of the Philippines, he answered:​
"It's improving, though the Junta needed more effort to live its promise to the people of the Islands"

1870s_qrc-wellington_st.preview.jpg

Colonial Hong Kong, Francisco Saldua's home for 9 years

Notes:
[1] As you may recall earlier, Francisco Saldua fled to Hong Kong in 1872. In OTL, he was executed.
[2] Francisco Saldua's wife was a Chinese; her name was Lau Yuk-man (a fictitious name), her naturalized name was Maria Paz Lau. They have three children (two boys and a girl).

1882​

May:
In the Bangsamoro Territory, the Dewan passed two decrees: the establishment of Academy of Malay Language of Bangsamoro, and a decree calling for the establishment of secondary schools across the territory. In the second decree, selected teachers from the madarasihs were assigned to teach secondary education in various parts of the Bangsamoro. On the other hand, the Academy of Malay Language was composed of 18 members, whose mission is to "regulate and encourage the development" of the Malay language spoken in Bangsamoro.​

June:
In the Cordillera Territory, the Council approved a decree that completed the civilian takeover of the schools. Originally set within two years, it was extended by a year due to the geographic reality of the territory.​

July:
In the session of the Cortes, the change in the composition of the legislature was revived. According to the plan proposed by Internal Affairs Minister Deodato Arellano, the Cortes should be represented according to the actual population of the provinces they represented. When asked by opposition on the importance of the said plan, the minister responded that the Cortes de la Junta General should responded to the reality existed in the Islands at the moment; the Filipinos wanted a more representative legislature.​

August:
Representatives from the North Borneo Territory went to Malacañang Palace to meet with the Governor-General Carlos Mª. de la Torre. For two days, they discussed about the problems of the said territory; one of those is the possible establishment of a territorial government governed mainly by the natives​

Last edited: