Epidemic at the Land of the Morning Calm - Expanded TL of Seoul Station and Train To Busan

Hello and good evening!

I am currently trying to expand the continuity of the two South Korean zombie films released last year Seoul Station and Train To Busan. There are particularly points I am curios about the movie such as a possible UN quarantine of South Korea and what would be North Korea's reaction seeing their rival down side getting assaulted by the infected.

To anyone who wants to contribute such as stories, exerpts, mock news reports, Twitter feeds, please feel free to do so.
Day Zero - The Beginning
On July 20, 2016[1], what appeared to be a simple accident at a biochemical plant would become one of the worst epidemics in history. The accident caused a leak of an unknown biochemical or biological agent that somehow managed to infect a stray dog in one of the poorer areas of Seoul. Once the poor creature was affected, it began to convulse and foam at its mouth. People passing by, as well as some vagrants, thought of it as a rabid dog. Suddenly, the dog stood up and expressed an aggressive behavior not seen by anyone before. Setting it sights on the old man, it immediately jumped on him where it bit him in several parts of his body. The attack was enough to scare some pedestrians and homeless, who ran away from the scene. Despite his poor strength, the old man found several empty beer bottles as well as shards of glass where he used it against the dog. After several strikes to the head, the infected dog was put down. The man survived, but was mortally wounded. He tried to ask for help among the locals, but many just ignored him out of fear of being infected with rabies. The man walked for miles without anyone offering help. He merely got the view of apathetic citizens who rarely cared less for the homeless. He then collapsed in front of the entrance of Seoul Station where his other homeless friend noticed his condition. The good Samaritan did all he could to look for care, but even the nearby nursing home could not provide treatment since the place was full. At nighttime, he returned to the area where the old man was laid down; his fever now worsened. Now fearful for the fate of his friend, the homeless man went to the Seoul Station Police office to ask for assistance. As him and the police officers went to the last site where the old man was found, they saw nothing but lots of blood on the pavement. Confused, the old man tried to convince the police officers of the old man's presence. The police officers angrily scolded the homeless man, thinking the entire thing was a false alarm, and shooed him off the premises. Feeling guilty, he searched for the possible areas where the old man could have been. In one of the alleyways, he caught the sight of his friend kneeling down on something. He called out for the person's name; the response he got was the old man facing him with the eyes not of a human but that of a rabid animal. Veins were forming around the old man's eyes. The old man's mouth was full of blood. The homeless person saw that what was once his friend had mauled someone to death. Still unaware of his condition, the homeless person tried to calm the old man down. He paid the price dearly for his life, as the old man bit his friend on the throat. Afterwards, the next infected rose up and joined his partner. Prowling the vagrant streets, they added more and more infected to the ever increasing horde. The residents in the area merely thought it was another riot among the homeless, but were soon infected themselves as these creatures broke down into their homes and infected them in the process. Once they started venturing out in the streets, the infected horde, now numbering from 50-100 individuals, began infecting others who were just coming home from work. Seoul Station was the site of these areas, where several commuters and vagrants were chased by a horde of infected. They ran to the nearest police station to ask for help, but the police merely thought they started a fight amongst the homeless. Soon the police officers learned the hard way when the "rioters" merely broke through the glass. One of the officers was killed on the spot when the infected ganged up on him, while the other was bitten before retreating to a holding cell with two other vagrants and a young girl. Angered, he threatened them at gunpoint before succumbing to his wounds. The old man noticed that one officer that got bitten reanimated and joined the horde that tried to reach them with their hands through the metallic bars. He noticed a pattern of the infected coming back after being bitten. Taking action into his own hands, he retrieved the officer's .38 caliber revolver and shot the other infected officer in the head but now before it was able to bite one of the vagrants. With only one bullet left, trapped in a cell with the infected outside, with another infectee in them, it seemed to be the final end of the old man and the young girl.

Elsewhere, the infected roamed the streets of Bongnae-dong and Dongja-dong of Seoul, biting and killing anyone unlucky to be in their path. Those who managed to escape called 119 emergency services to deal with the rioters, the wounded, and the damages caused. Immediately, police cars, ambulance crews, and fire services got to the road. And just like any first responders heading into the fray, they paid it dearly with their lives since they were unaware of what was to come. The police fared a little better by fending off some infected with lucky head shots from their .38 caliber revolvers before retreating and calling for riot police to deal with the situation. Over the night, several 119 calls were made in Seoul. And these calls, only a few were unanswered as the situation worsened.

Author's Notes
[1] The movie's release date in the Cannes International Film Festival
Last edited:
I've been thinking, since in late 2016 President Park had a corruption scandal, will it still occur or will it be butterflied away? Will Moon-Jae In become president as OTL.

Comments are welcome.
Quarantine Fails
Just before midnight of July 21, 2016, President Park Gyuen-hye and Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn, alongside a handful of government officials and military officers, were awakened and met at the Blue House to oversee the crisis. The media at this point was not yet fully aware of the situation, so it was best decided not to inform the news networks to prevent a panic. Riot police forces were able to quarantine a handful of civilians that managed hold off the ravenous infected using pipes and bats from a hastily-erected improvised barricade. On the other side, the police blocked the civilians using mobile jail buses and water cannons. Those that tried to crawl under were pepper-sprayed while those attempted to climb over the buses were quickly hosed down. Angered, the civilians in the barricade demanded answers from the police, who were either unaware or were given strict orders to shut up.

Roughly an hour later, the infected at the improvised barricade were becoming too much to handle for the civilian defenders. By 1:00 AM, President Park declared martial law throughout South Korea, though many were unaware of this because the first signs of the outbreak occurred at night when people were going home from work. The Third ROK Army, along with some elements the I ROK Corps and the VI ROK Corps were mobilized to maintain orders. The soldiers were given strict orders to eradicated any infected and uninfected within the quarantine zone. KM-250s and KM-500s utility trucks began rolling down the streets of Seoul, much to the shock of the citizens not in the quarantine zone. The soldiers disembarked, armed with K2 assault rifles supported by K3 light machine guns all aimed their barrels at the barricade. The first one killed was an old man that attempted to climb the bus, where he was shot in the head. At this point, the infected began to swarm over the barricade, creating more infected in the process as panicked civilians attempted to scramble to safety. Countless chose to face bullets of the soldiers rather than being torn apart at the hands of the infected. Of the people in the barricade, only one survivor emerged; a young woman who managed to monkey-bar her way to safety using an improvised ladder set up by an athletic young man -- who dearly paid for his life trying to save the woman. She was last seen running the rooftops as infected from the buildings began to chase her. No one knows what happened to her next.

Countless infected were gunned down by the soldiers as they started climbing over the buses. Yet, due to the nature of a human wave attack, the infected overwhelmed the initial soldiers that were mobilized. Police and military units withdrew back to a more defensive perimeter to hold them back. It was a useless effort, as they were rerouted from barricade to barricade. More and more soldiers were called in, yet the Defense Minister insisted not to withdraw so much soldiers since North Korea may have seen this as a sign of weakness and opening for an attack or an invasion. Because it was nighttime, both sides on the DMZ as well as the Joint-Security Area and U.S. Forces Korea were unaware of the current situation in Seoul; however it was just a matter of time.

The infected rampaged through Seoul with the military desperately trying to hold them back. It was clear that the infected would pour out of Seoul, and by 4:00 AM were already in the outskirts of Incheon.

In the midst of the chaos, a group of people casually continue on with their lives in the KTX train. Among them were a varsity of high school baseball players, a couple of elderly sisters, a businessman on his way to meet his mother, and an estranged father with his daughter on their way to meet his divorced wife. In one of the cubicles, a homeless vagrant managed to smuggle himself inside the train as he escaped from the infected. It was still dawn where some fires and emergency vehicles were spotted by these group of people, much to their astountment. Unnoticed by the train staff, an bitten woman running from the infected also smuggled herself on board the KTX train. She would ultimately bring the commuters to their fate.
Maps for later references, especially since I have yet to research the geography of South Korea


U.S. Forces Korea military bases


Deleted member 103950

This isn't going to end in a Full Blown Zombie Apocalypse is it?

If so, can you at least make it so that it doesn't come off as stupid? Even the most so-called 'realistic" Zombie Apocalypse Story has issues. The military has to be a bunch of undisciplined idiots for the Apocalypse to not be nipped in the bud.
This isn't going to end in a Full Blown Zombie Apocalypse is it?

If so, can you at least make it so that it doesn't come off as stupid? Even the most so-called 'realistic" Zombie Apocalypse Story has issues. The military has to be a bunch of undisciplined idiots for the Apocalypse to not be nipped in the bud.

No it's won't end like full blown zombie apocalypse. I plan to have it only contained in the Korean Peninsula and possible reignition of the Korean War. Also, I'm planning a quarantine with China, Japan, Taiwan, U.S., and Russia leading the naval blockade (similar to Kspence92's quarantine of Britain in his 28 Days Later timeline).

Yes, zombie apocalypse will no go far here since it takes place in 2016 with all the zombie pop-culture so everyone basically knows what to do.
I'll also have to be researching which U.S. Navy ships were present in Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, Singapore, and Australia that would take place in the Quarantine. It is noteworthy that RIMPAC 2016 was occurring at the time of the outbreak. This opens a possibility to RIMPAC resources being diverted to the Korean Peninsula, especially if North Korea decided to invade the south.

Spread of the Disease
The KTX train casually proceeded to its route, with the passengers not yet aware of the of the outbreak occurring in Seoul. They were also unaware of the infected woman in the train. Seoul was overrun by that time the train left, and so were the cities of Songnam, Anyang, Puchon, Goyang, and the towns around it. It spread too fast since people were attacked as they went to work, since most were unaware of the outbreak in Seoul the day before. Incheon security forces, backed by the ROK Army, did what they can to fight, but were overrun in 2 hours due to the amount of infected. President Park and the cabinet were evacuated to the port city of Busan just as the Blue House fell to the infected, establishing a temporary capital there. By mid-day, all of the Kyonggi Province was lost to the infected, just as reports of the outbreak had reached Chungchung North and Chungchung South. In the city of Chongju, the South Korean military fortified the airport there, as it would establish a critical supply line to defenders of the Chungchung South Province especially the major city of Taejon. In the streets, only a few K1 tanks, old Soviet-era vehicles (given by Russian in the 1990s), and armored personnel carriers dotten the roads leading to Taejon. However, due to the nature of the virus, it was expected that resistance would be light. By 1 pm, the infected reached Taejon and a massive firefight occurs between the police, soldiers, and the infected.

The infected woman in the lone KTX train turned into one of the infected and attacked the passengers nearby, spreading the virus there. The completely unaware passengers turned and then turned more into their fellow brethren. Luckily, since the infected were at the rear portions of the train, the passengers at the front were successful able to seal them in the rear portions of the train. They were now fully aware of the situation, supplemented by news reports from the train's TV as well as the passengers' mobile phones showing videos of the infected attacking people in the cities. Often times, they passed by train stops to see innocent people begging for their lives to ride the train, only to get mauled by the infected. The conductor of the train then announces on the intercom that the train will be rerouted to Taejon, not aware that the army was desperately holding the city.

Meanwhile, U.S. Forces Korea were finally involved when their military bases around Seoul were attacked by the infected, causing heavy casaulties to the American forces stationed in the peninsula. Camp Casey, Dodge, and Red Cloud were overrun, forcing the U.S. Army soldiers that failed to evacuate into UH-60 Black Hawks to consolidate into individual buildings rather than retaking the base. However, other U.S. Army bases such as the Yongsan Garrison and other were fortified with makeshift walls, landmines, barbed wire, and buses. M2 Bradleys and M1 Abrams tanks provided support, whilst snipers and machine gun nests were set up. Further south, planes of USAF coming from Osan Air Base began air-dropping supplies to remaining U.S. Army bases in the seas of the infected zones whilst Army base of Camp Humphreys began assisting South Korean forces in the evacuation as well as fighting the infected.

Just hours before, international media like CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, and BBC recieved footage of the infected and were broadcasting it worldwide. And the whole world tuned in to the media frenzy in South Korea.

The White House, the Pentagon, and the State Department issued statements regarding the situation in South Korea by 11PM EST (July 20, 2016). U.S. President Barack Obama appeared in front of the the White House Press Briefing Room informing the nation of an outbreak of an unknown virus in South Korea. General Vincent K. Brooks, commander of the USFK, reported this to the Pentagon. He was given orders by the Ash Carter, Secretary of Defense, to do what they can in assisting the South Korean forces while also observing the situation in the Joint-Security Area of the DMZ of "suspicious activity" by North Korean agents. President Obama assured the American public that the virus would not reach the United States and that the U.S. will assist South Korea in this crisis while also issuing a warning to North Korea that any sign of invasion would be dealt with U.S. military retaliation. Lastly, President Obama said that the country is coordinating with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) in trying to find a vaccine for the virus while the State Department tries to account for the safety of American citizens in South Korea. A sigh of good news for the Obama administration is that the U.S. Embassy staff in Seoul were successfully evacuated by U.S. Army and Air Force helicopters to the fortified city of Busan, which prevented another Benghazi.

But as the 2016 elections are coming up, both DNC and GOP candidates would obviously try to use the situation in South Korea to their advantage...

Back to South Korea, the KTX train continues on to its journey to Taejon, where it was last reported safe.
Great update. If I may make a correction though: the Yongsan garrison would be fortified with concertina wire walls and Hescos with machine gun nests instead of buses and other makeshift "walls".
Thank you for your correction of the Yongsan Garrison. Those fortifications I added were makeshift reinforcements to add to the already present present fortifications in the military installation. I assume the US Forces there would do everything to keep the infected out, including any makeshift barricades they could find.

Great update. If I may make a correction though: the Yongsan garrison would be fortified with concertina wire walls and Hescos with machine gun nests instead of buses and other makeshift "walls".
Knowing Trump, it'll be a font of wisdom and knowle--oh, wait, this is Trump, right? How is he going to offend the South Koreans, I wonder...