Epidemic at the Land of the Morning Calm - Expanded TL of Seoul Station and Train To Busan

Knowing Trump, it'll be a font of wisdom and knowle--oh, wait, this is Trump, right? How is he going to offend the South Koreans, I wonder...

Trump will blame the North Koreans, he will blame Rocketman and call him names like "monkey" or "fat bastard with the zombie virus."

I will get back to this TL after New Year's Eve.

I'm really sorry guys but I have been busy lately that I haven't been able to update this timeline yet. I will get back to this once I get a free time to write.

Daejon and Daegu
The survivors aboard the KTX were unaware of the present state of Daegu. So when they arrived at the terminal, the scores of abandoned police equipment did not convince them. It was only when the first group of commuters headed down the elevator when they saw bloodied soldiers and police officers congregating in one area before charging at the first group. The one on the bottom were not so lucky as they were the first to get infected. The ones behind them made a mad dash upward to run back the train, trampling others along the way. Once it was realized Daegu was overrun, it was too late for the commuters. Many more joined the ranks of the infected. The remaining survivors headed back to the the train, only to indadvertedly open the quarantined cars and spill more of the infected in the area. Seeing there was no more time, the conductor turned on the engine and continued the journey south to Busan, but more and more of the original passengers were infected. Only a handful remained.

The infection continued spreading south despite the best efforts of the Republic of Korea Armed Forced and the U.S. Forces Korea. Airstrikes and naval strikes from ROKN and USN ships were able to stall the halt of the infection, but it was only a stop gap measure. Neighboring countries such as China, Japan, and Russia began mobilizing their militaries in an event of an emergency. The PLA-N North Sea Fleet based in Qingdao was dispatched to patrol the waters off the Peninsula and carefully screen ships that just came from Korea. The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force and the Japan Coast Guard were deployed in the Sea of Japan to oversee such an operation. The Russian Pacific Fleet deployed a destroyer and a cruiser near the port city of Vladivostok. As of now, there was no official blockade of the Korean Peninsula but it seemed such there was one.

Whilst the South was in trouble, another benefactor played. Kim Jong-un calmly sat in his office watching the videos of South Korean cities getting overrun. He knew it was the opportunity to invade the South, since both the South Korean military and the U.S. Forces were busy handling the infection. He called in his generals for a meeting to discuss how the invasion will go. The DMZ has not been overrun yet, but only a meager force of ROK soldiers and U.S. troops guarded it, of course at high alert. He was determined to strike fast. He knew of the infected based on pop-culture horror movies he had stored all for himself along with the Western food and wine that he would not share to the starving North Korean masses. For Kim, all he wanted was to take the South while the imperialists were distracted from an enemy that should have only existed in horror science fiction.

Social Media Reactions to the Korean Peninsula Outbreak
Social media imploded on the mention of a "zombie outbreak" in South Korea. The whole world did not expect it to happen because it was mainly thought of a thing in fiction. For the next few months into the outbreak, all platforms of social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, most of the posts were about #zombies #zombieapocalypse #outbreak

"Zombies are real! Holy shit! Our preparation were correct!"
Zombie Squad, @ZombieSquad, Twitter

"This is the first time I have seen a zombie outbreak in my life. Ever since I published the Zombie Survival Guide...
...which was a satire, now our nightmares have became a reality...Prayers and condolences to the South Korean people...and may humanity win over this plague.
Maximilian "Max Brooks, @MaxBrooks, Twitter

"Dear fans, we advise you to stock up on weapons and gear. Our nightmares have been confirmed."
Zombie Go Boom, @ZombieGoBoom, Twitter

The zombie apocalypse has arrived. Well, me and my friends here in Texas are prepared!
- Anonymous user (photo shows a dozen men and a few women armed with AR-15 or M4A1 rifles with a M2 Browning Machine gun at a back of a pickup truck with the flags of the USA, CSA, and Texas.

"The American people stand in solidarity with our South Korean allies in this hard times they are currently experiencing."

"I have pledged to military assist South Korea in this outbreak."
President Barack Obama, @BarackObama, Twitter

"U.S. 7th Fleet on its way to the Korean Peninsula."

"Some ships from @RIMPAC to be diverted to assist situation in South Korea."
Department of Defense, @DeptofDefense, Twitter

"Those infected fuckers have finally showed up in reality. Time to blame North Korea!"
Donald J. Trump, @realDonaldTrump, Twitter

"Prayers and thoughts to the South Korean people."
Hillary Clinton, @HillaryClinton, Twitter

"See, many South Korean are dead or infected because of the lack of gun ownership. Thank God we have the second amendment in our country. I know ask every American to arm themselves and stock-up just in case those infected reach our shores. These liberals and anti-gun activists will never know the importance of gun-ownership until they are walking corpse. We will not go down without a fight. Prayers and thoughts to the South Korean people and may they win over this blight!"
Outlaw Morgan, Facebook

"Travel into South Korea has been banned. All flights into South Korea have been diverted into Japan, Taiwan, China, and the Philippines. Do you have a relative in South Korea? Please contact us with the information below.
U.S. Department of State bulletin, Facebook and Twitter

"Oh no, what would happen to K-pop with zombies appearing? I hope my idols are safe. :("
- Anonymous user in the Philippines, Facebook

#PrayforSouthKorea
- 19.5M Tweets
- 1,894,183 posts, Instagram

DBWI Self Insert Reactions
DBWI myself and my real-life friends in this scenario

"I could not believe it. I knew it one day it would happen. The infected like the ones in 28 Days Later are here. However, we have the advantage: We are deeply indulged in the zombie pop culture. Let us use this knowledge to our advatange. Praying for South Korea as well."
- Gillan Baclayon, Facebook
52 likes and reactions
Franz Cimafranca: We humans will win. We have superior firepower!
Alessio Melis: Even though the South Koreans and the US troops are rerouted, they will eventually recapture. Zombies are easy to defeat now since they appear in movies.
Blaze Kodak: My neighbors are preparing guns, survival gear, and camping equipment. Sales of guns have increased in Port Clinton, OH and I assume the whole country as well.
Miguel Ramos: I remember the time you were so addicted with zombies in high school. I would never doubt you again.
Jose Espenido: Ayaw lng ka hadlok bai, islands bitaw ang Philippines. Daghan ta ug islands ma escape hahaha (Translation: Do no be afraid dude, the Philippines is composed of islands. We have many to escape to hahahaha."

"So much for K-Drama. Praying for all their safety."
- Cara Ambowang, Facebook
Noelle A. Catalo
: Huhuhuhuhu I'm scared and sad at the same time.

"Praying for the safety of my K-pop crush and the people of South Korea."
- Analee Alcantara, @ItsMariaAna, Twitter

"Ngano na tinoud mani ang mga zombie uy! Yawa! Unsaon nalang ning mga Kpop ug K-Drama"
(Why the fuck did zombies become real. Speak of the Devil! What will happen to Kpop and K-Drama?)

"Kung mo abot sila, tago ko balik sa Camotes."
(If these infected fuckers reach here, I'd go back to Camotes).
- Kimberly Mae C. Dondon, @kimkardapya, Twitter

"My family is safe. Made it to Busan. Thank you for your support guys. You have no idea how relieve Audrey and I are."
- Edwin Jeong (Korean expat in Cebu, Philippines), Facebook

"Going to shooting range this weekend for some anti-zombie combat. Doing everything it needs to survive."
- Marco Bryll L. Tan (Cebu, Philippines) , Facebook

"B.R.I.G.H.T. Academy would like to extend our condolences with the people of South Korea. Our school has numerous South Koreans and we stand in solidarity with them. We are praying for the safety of their relatives and family. Mass at 5 pm at the AVR, feel free to join."
- Bright Academy Official, Facebook

"Well, time to rejoin the Air Force again."
- Adam Avro Lancaster (from Surrey, BC), Facebook

"Heard my hometown was overrun. I am heartbroken. No words can express my how sad I am. Please pray for me and the Korean people."
- Benjamin Pegg (Korean-American in New Jersey), Facebook

We were in kyongju when outbreak happened. We planned on going back to Seoul.. We changed our plans and went to Pusan instead. I pray for my relative and friends' safety..
- Bhlee0019

Kyongju is nearer to Busan so I guess you guys made it out in time. The outbreak did spread fast, since the two films only take place in less than 48 hours.

AP Headlines, July 20, 2016 - Early Dawn, July 21, 2016
July 20, 2016 (Time in Korea Standard Time, UTC+9)

2030: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA: Riots and civil disturbance reported in the streets around Seoul Station. Witness claim dozens have been assaulted and many joining the rioters. Police called in to quell the rioting.

2145: Riots continue to spread out of a hand. Reports of dozens of civilian and police casaulties.

2210: Riot police deployed to the streets of Seoul. Witnesses describe battles between police and rioters.

2300: Violence continues to spread. Mayor declares martial law.

23:25: UNCONFIRMED: Police have detained some of the rioters and ran some tests. Rioters appear to be sick with a new type of disease. Awaiting confirmation.

00:00: President Park Gyun-hye and cabinet orders the deployment of the Army.

00:20: Quarantine in effect in different parts of Seoul. Dusk to dawn curfew impost. Anyone caught in the streets would be arrest while looters and act of violence would be met with lethal force.

00:50: Shots fired at quarantine. Witnesses claim soldiers shooting at rioters and civilians alike.

00:59: Initial quarantine of Seoul Station fails. Rioters apparently engaging soldiers in a melee and have spread out across the area.

0100: President Park declares Marital Law after riots spread out of control.

0146: Reports of break ins in residential neighborhood. 119 Emergency calls overwhelmed.

0300: Riots appear to have spread to neighboring towns.

0400: No word on KTX train cancellation. Riots have been reported in Incheon.

Geez, why am I not surprised by Trump's tweet...

Wonder what a certain Texas radio show host thinks about it (hint: his initials are AJ)...

The Safe-Zone
The fortification of Busan as a temporary capital of the government of South Korea was tremendous. Dubbed as the "Second Battle of the Busan Perimeter", a name taken from a battle during the Korean War in where U.S. and ROK soldiers valiantly defended the port city against the North Koreans, it was where the joint-ROK and USFK forces managed to hold the infection back. Bridges, roads, and railroads were destroyed with airstrikes, blocked with vehicles, or purposely set on fire. Additional refugees came in from sea, aided by ROKN naval vessels and civilian merchant ships. Others were resettled in the resort island of Jeju, acting as the last resort fallback should the fortifications fall. The Korean Coast Guard, disbanded by President Park in 2014 after the M/V Sewol sinking, was unofficially pressed into service, using whatever police or civilian volunteers they could muster, since all reserves in the ROK Army and Marines have been mobilized. Those that could have made it Busan were ordered into the city's defense, but there were still isolated military units up north towards the 38th Parallel, either isolated by the infected or holding out in hastily fortified garrisons awaiting for resupply or extraction.

A single KTX trained approached the tunnel fortification leading into Busan. It was unresponsive and upon closer inspection by ROK Army scouts perched atop containers using high-powered binoculars, the train was overrun with the infected. Immediately, it was fired upon by ROK AH-1 Cobra gunships. The infected then spilled out of the train and ran towards the fortifications, where they were fired upon by snipers and machine gunners. Those that managed to reach the fortifications were electrocuted in the hastily-erected electrical fences.

images

Busan defenders.​

By 5:00 PM, July 21, 2016, there were roughly 1,300,000 refugees that made it to the Busan perimeter, the Jeju Island safe-zone, and various islands in the southern area of the peninsula. One of them was what seemed to be a mother and a child. Almost mistaken to be one of the infected and fired upon, they were immediately rescued by the defenders of the Busan fortifications. They were then taken to a refugee camp, where they were interviewed on what happened where they revealed their name, Seong-kyeong, and the child, Su-an. Seong-kyeong admitted to the military officials and the authorities that they were the only survivors of the last KTX train that left Seoul earlier that morning, that Su-an's father was killed because of the infected, that her husband was killed as well and that she is not the mother of the child. Because of times of an emergency, the authorities allowed Seong-kyeong to accompany Su-an in the Busan Safe-Zone. Su-an would later be given stress de-briefing sessions before meeting her mother, who divorced with her late-father some time ago. Su-an's mother would then thank Seong-kyeong for protecting her child as they were transferred to Jeju Island for the sake of the child and Seong-kyeong's unborn child.

Westward towards the Pacific, the RIMPAC exercises commence in Hawaii. However, due to the events in South Korea, the ROK-N contingent is ordered back home to partake in the retaking of the peninsula. Because of the timely event of the naval exercises, Admiral Scott H. Swift has requested most ships coming from different nations participating in the Hawaii exercises to stem towards of the Korean peninsula in support for the humanitarian crisis. The Hawaii exercises ultimately came to an end as participating ships from Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, China, France, India, Indonesia, Japan, New Zealand, and the United States plotted a course towards South Korea. The ships came in formation around the USS John C. Stennis aircraft carrier, in what is known as the largest naval cooperation in human history.

7665784024_10e1f55549.jpg

RIMPAC 2016 participants lead by the USS John C. Stennis en route to the Korean Peninsula.
The USS Ronald Reagan, currently deployed to the South China Sea with the Carrier Strike Group 5 in response to the UN Arbitration of China vs. the Philippines, was ordered to support to head to Korea by the U.S. Pacific Command.

For the first time since the conclusion of the Third Taiwan Strait crisis in 1996, the largest show of force of American military might was coming to East Asia.
Author's Notes:
EDIT (September 29, 2019): I just found out the Reagan was in the South China Sea area at that time in July 2016 so it would make sense the U.S. would redeploy it to support their South Korean allies as the Stennis was still in the Pacific.

Last edited:
Su-an would later be given stress de-briefing sessions before meeting her mother, who divorced with her late-father some time ago. Su-an's mother would then thank Seong-kyeong for protecting her child as they were transferred to Jeju Island for the sake of the child and Seong-kyeong's unborn child.
This ends the the movie.. But story wasn't over.

The North Reacts
"Those capitalist pigs have finally gotten what they deserve." Supreme Commander Kim Jong-un said as he chugged down an expensive cognac he obtained secretly. In front of him was General Pak Yong-sik, People's Armed Forces Minister, and Vice Marshal Ri Myong-su, the Chief of the General Staff, as well as various generals and officers of the Korean People's Army.

"Indeed comrade Kim!" General Pak replied.

"Now that they are busy dealing with these infected monsters, the time to strike is now. But I will be at first merciful, I will tell our fellow southern brothers to accept liberation from the us, the true Koreans, in exchange for reunification." The Supreme Commander added.

"With all due respect, sir, but the Americans, the Chinese, nor the United Nations will not take this likely." A staffer added.

The room froze, including all his loyalists, remained silent. It is an offense to insult or directly question the Supreme Commander. This staffer was indeed brave, but for this, he would pay the price. And for those people in the room, they know the staffer was one word away from death, that is depending on the Supreme Commander's mood. Kim turned his glare on the man who challenged him as he slammed his fist on the table. Luckily for him, Kim was in the mood to reason out but the man should not abuse his second chance.

"All we need to do is show the world we are up to something good. Before our glorious army crosses the 38th Parallel, we will liberate Seoul from the infected in a Sea of Fire. Sure many of the infected would die. Then our armies back by our tanks and armored vehicles will cross and eliminate any infected, as well as those imperialist pigs who dare oppose our liberation. By liberating the South of infected, the world will see us in a positive light. Indeed, it is a blessing to those trapped comrades in their apartments and buildings as those monsters scratch at their doorways. It would show we are braver than our comrades in the South, who has retreated all the way to Busan. Soon, there will be one Korea united under the Eternal President of the Democratic Republic of Korea!" Kim Jong-un said with enthusiasm.

The generals and the ministers then held a toast. They were gonna invade the South no matter what as the threat of a zombie virus was the perfect time to do so. Kim also had better plans to strike back at the Americans and the Japanese devils to the East. After the meeting, the two top generals remained as scientists were called up. His plan was to send a weaponized form of the virus and have it dropped in the Busan Safe Zone in addition to major Japanese cities and U.S. military bases in Japan.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.jpg

"THE IMPERIALIST PIGS FINALLY GET WHAT THEY DESERVE."

"SUPREME COMMANDER STATES 'THE TIME FOR LIBERATION AND UNIFICATION IS NOW'"

"THE DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF KOREA WILL WIN OVER THIS PLAGUE AFFECTING OUR BROTHERS IN THE SOUTH."

"INFECTED TO DIE IN A SEA OF FIRE"
- Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) Headlines, July 21, 2016.

Last edited:

Samsara123

Banned
Oh, nothing can go wrong with this...

IMO, Kim's plans will backfire on him. Badly...
The thing is China and Russia is probably skittish as fuck about all those zombies getting out of Korea, if they invade south Korea during an ovious zombie plague may cause China and Russia to counter invade from the north to get Kim and his generals under control and stop the spread of infection by arresting his delusional ass and nobody is gonna fault them for it

The thing is China and Russia is probably skittish as fuck about all those zombies getting out of Korea, if they invade south Korea during an ovious zombie plague may cause China and Russia to counter invade from the north to get Kim and his generals under control and stop the spread of infection by arresting his delusional ass and nobody is gonna fault them for it
Russia and China have already deployed their navies off the coast of the peninsula in order to carefully screen refugee ships that make it to their ports in Vladivostok and Qingdao or Dandong. The Shenyang Military, the one the oversees the defense of Manchuria and the Sino-Korean border, has been placed on high alert. The PLA will soon be deployed to the border.

Judging by how delusional and colorful North Korean higher ups are, it is obvious their plan will backfire along with drawing the wrath of the United States upon them.

Travel Advisories
1000px-Seal_of_the_United_States_Department_of_State.svg.png
LEVEL 4: DO NOT TRAVEL
Travel to South Korea has been prohibited. The State Department issues Level 3 to Americans traveling to Japan (including Okinawa), China, Russia (Pacific Coast), Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. All existing flights prior to July 21 have been rerouted to several airports in the region, including China, Japan, Taiwan, and the Philippines.

The U.S. Embassy has relocated to our consulate in Busan, which the ROK military has deemed safe for the time being. On the other hand, the State Department has accounted for the safety roughly 120,000 Americans within the safe zones established by the South Korean government. As of this posting, countless still remain unaccounted for.

Do you have a relative in South Korea?
Contact us at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/contact-us.html
For Emergency Services: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/contact-us/Emergencies-Abroad.html
Contact the U.S. Consulate in Busan:

U.S. Consulate in Busan, Korea
#993, Joongangdae-Ro, Busanjin-Gu,
Room 612 (Lotte Gold Rose)
Busan, Korea 47209
For after-hour emergency service, please contact the Embassy Duty Officer at (02) 397-4114.

Follow State Department on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, YouTube, and RSS for more information.
- U.S. Department of State bulletin, July 21, 2016

Seal_of_the_Department_of_Foreign_Affairs_of_the_Philippines.svg.png

Travel ban to South Korea issued immediately today July 21, 2016. Philippine Embassy staff has relocated to Busan. As of this posting, the DFA has been trying to account for more than 63,000 Filipinos, with majority being in Seoul. 10,000 have been accounted for in Busan and Jeju Island.

Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
Contact us at 556 0000 or 234 4488
Or visit us on

DFA Home Office
2330 Roxas Boulevard
Pasay City
Metro Manila, Philippines

Office of Consular Affairs
Bradco Avenue, corner
Macapagal Boulevard
ASEANA Business Park
Paranaque City, Metro Manila
Philippines

- The Official Website of the Department of Foreign Affairs of the Philippines

Last edited:

Samsara123

Banned
Russia and China have already deployed their navies off the coast of the peninsula in order to carefully screen refugee ships that make it to their ports in Vladivostok and Qingdao or Dandong. The Shenyang Military, the one the oversees the defense of Manchuria and the Sino-Korean border, has been placed on high alert. The PLA will soon be deployed to the border.

Judging by how delusional and colorful North Korean higher ups are, it is obvious their plan will backfire along with drawing the wrath of the United States upon them.
I can already see the leaders reactions after hearing that North Korea has invaded south Korea
Putin: THAT FAT FUCK DID WHAT?!

Xi Jinping:......... We should have gotten rid of that idiot when we had the chance, fuck tell the Americans they can have him just make sure that plague doesn't spreas

I can already see the leaders reactions after hearing that North Korea has invaded south Korea
Putin: THAT FAT FUCK DID WHAT?!

Xi Jinping:......... We should have gotten rid of that idiot when we had the chance, fuck tell the Americans they can have him just make sure that plague doesn't spreas

B-52s, B-2s, B-1 Lancers, Tomahawks, and MOABs would be used. And if Kim decides to use nukes (against South Korea or the infected), Aegis destroyers and Patriot missile batteries would intercept it.

Note that THAAD wasn't deployed to South Korea yet as of July 2016 (deployed around March 2017 OTL), and it is delayed in this timeline as of the moment due to the outbreak; or even butterflied away once the North has collapsed.

This is from Wikipedia (perspective from OTL).
"In July 2016, American and South Korean military officials agreed to deploy the THAAD missile defense system in the country to counter North Korea's growing threats and use of ballistic missile and nuclear tests; each THAAD unit consists of six truck-mounted launchers, 48 interceptors, a fire control and communications unit, and an AN/TPY-2 radar. Seongju County in North Gyeongsang Province was chosen as the site to base the THAAD, partly because it is out of range of North Korean rocket artillery along the DMZ,[77] which sparked protests from Seongju County residents from fear of the radiation emitted by the AN/TPY-2 radar. On 30 September 2016, the U.S. and South Korea announced that THAAD would be relocated to Lotte Skyhill Seongju Country Club, farther from the town's main residential areas and higher in elevation, to alleviate concerns.

On 6 March 2017, two THAAD launcher trucks arrived by air transport at Osan Air Base, South Korea, for a deployment. Earlier that day, North Korea had launched 4 missiles. A Reuters article stated that with the THAAD defense system, a North Korean missile barrage would still pose a threat to South Korea,while an article in the International Journal of Space Politics & Policy said that South Korean forces already possess Patriot systems for point defense and Aegis destroyers capable of stopping ballistic missiles that may come from the north,in a three-layer antimissile defense for South Korea. On 16 March 2017, a THAAD radar arrived in South Korea. The THAAD system is kept at Osan Air Base until the site where the system is due to be deployed is prepared, with an expected ready date of June 2017. Osan Air Base has blast-hardened command posts with 3 levels of blast doors.
"