Dirty Laundry: An Alternate 1980s

Hmm...

The Intelevision III is based on a 68000 and "3D Graphics."

Considering the era, sounds like a Sega Mega Drive/Genesis with the addition of a Texas Instruments TMS 320020 DSP. Which at the time would make great arcade hardware, but a rather steep console system, considering that it would have to be on par with the SNK Neo Geo.

Another one so soon! What a pleasant surprise! And spending some of your time covering a topic very near and dear to me indeed :)

After 19 episodes, ABC cancels the low-rated sitcom Oh Madeline, a Madeline Kahn vehicle in which the titular head character (Kahn) searches for a way to spice up her boring marriage to husband Charlie (played by James Sloyan), who writes bodice-ripper romance novels under the pen name “Crystal Love.”[1]
I hate when Madeline Kahn in appears in sub-par sitcoms so much, it - it, the flames. Flames... on the side of my face... breathing - breathless - heaving breaths...

(But at least it frees her up for a certain movie role at about this time :D)

Andrew T said:
uLypz.jpg
Too bad that wasn't a full body shot; I would have loved to been able to see the leg-warmers :rolleyes:

Andrew T said:
CBS, meanwhile, has announced that this will be the sixth and final season for The Dukes of Hazzard, citing declining ratings and increased production costs.[4]
"Looks like them Duke boys got themselves in a whole heap of trouble."

Andrew T said:
“Intellivision is the closest thing to the real thing!”
I've mentioned elsewhere that the IntelliVision is the only vintage second-generation console I've ever played (courtesy my father, and don't ask me why he chose to back that particular horse), and I realize the market was massively over-saturated at the time of the OTL Crash, and you've alluded to the need for some corrective measures to be taken, but I do hope that they're one of the survivors. I look forward to seeing how their bold new venture turns out.

Andrew T said:
I’ve never seen the show (and I don’t know anyone who has), but I can’t imagine that two actors as talented as Nielsen and Robbins couldn’t ad-lib something at least as watchable as most of the dreck airing on ABC in 1984.
Much as I obviously hold great esteem for Leslie Nielsen, who by this time has already starred in two of the greatest comedy productions ever made, he's someone who really needs strong direction (or a strong script, or both) to shine. I mean, he's never bad if he's left to founder, but he's certainly not nearly as good as he should be.

Andrew T said:
As for Hulk Hogan: IOTL, he’s pitched the failed pilot “Goldie and the Bears” in which Hogan plays an ex-football player turned private investigator. That, I imagine, is as wretched as it sounds, and even the height of Wrestlemania-mania in 1984 was not enough to get it picked up. Nevertheless, it’s clear that Hogan wants to act, and his WWF-mate Mr. T is currently a breakout star on NBC’s The A-Team.
More to the point, Hogan had a memorable cameo in the still-recent Rocky III, in which Mr. T (of course) played the villain.

In all seriousness, it's great to see coverage of 1983-84, which is (as is obvious in your update, as so many long-running shows made their last bow both ITTL and IOTL) very much a transitional season. A lot of people said that it was the death knell of the sitcom... though the next season would certainly put those fears to rest. (And Cheers was already on the air - though nobody watched the first season, and though ratings did improve for the second, it still wasn't anywhere near the juggernaut it would become.)

Hmm...

The Intelevision III is based on a 68000 and "3D Graphics."

Considering the era, sounds like a Sega Mega Drive/Genesis with the addition of a Texas Instruments TMS 320020 DSP. Which at the time would make great arcade hardware, but a rather steep console system, considering that it would have to be on par with the SNK Neo Geo.

The bit about the 3-D graphics comes straight from OTL's PR for the Intellivision IV, which could really mean anything. According to original Intellivision documents, the plan was to have the Intellivision IV built around the MC68000 processor with a custom co-processor called "MAGIC" to handle the display.

According to the specs, it looks like the 3-D effects would be software-programmed and handled by a five-bit "horizontal scale" register within the MAGIC chip. Here's how I think it was intended to work: for moving pieces on the screen (i.e., player/missile graphics, a.k.a. sprites), MAGIC would record an X-location and a Y-location on the screen; that's standard 2-D graphics. To simulate 3-D effects, MAGIC would also record a five-bit horizontal scale number comprised of a two-bit (i.e., 0-3) "size" and a three-bit (i.e., 0-7) "zoom" that would resize the sprite to approximate depth, with objects that are further away correspondingly reduced in size.

Fairly clever for 1984!

I hate when Madeline Kahn in appears in sub-par sitcoms so much, it - it, the flames. Flames... on the side of my face... breathing - breathless - heaving breaths...

(But at least it frees her up for a certain movie role at about this time :D)

City Heat?? :)

I've mentioned elsewhere that the IntelliVision is the only vintage second-generation console I've ever played (courtesy my father, and don't ask me why he chose to back that particular horse), and I realize the market was massively over-saturated at the time of the OTL Crash, and you've alluded to the need for some corrective measures to be taken, but I do hope that they're one of the survivors. I look forward to seeing how their bold new venture turns out.

I will do a mini-update within the next update as to the status of the Mattel Electronics assets.

Much as I obviously hold great esteem for Leslie Nielsen, who by this time has already starred in two of the greatest comedy productions ever made, he's someone who really needs strong direction (or a strong script, or both) to shine. I mean, he's never bad if he's left to founder, but he's certainly not nearly as good as he should be.

Very much agreed.

In all seriousness, it's great to see coverage of 1983-84, which is (as is obvious in your update, as so many long-running shows made their last bow both ITTL and IOTL) very much a transitional season.

And also, of course, the heyday of the prime-time soap opera.

A lot of people said that it was the death knell of the sitcom... though the next season would certainly put those fears to rest. (And Cheers was already on the air - though nobody watched the first season, and though ratings did improve for the second, it still wasn't anywhere near the juggernaut it would become.)

And also Kate & Allie, which aired the day before the last update, and -- despite being a midseason replacement -- would finish the season #8 in the Nielsen ratings.

The bit about the 3-D graphics comes straight from OTL's PR for the Intellivision IV, which could really mean anything. According to original Intellivision documents, the plan was to have the Intellivision IV built around the MC68000 processor with a custom co-processor called "MAGIC" to handle the display.

According to the specs, it looks like the 3-D effects would be software-programmed and handled by a five-bit "horizontal scale" register within the MAGIC chip. Here's how I think it was intended to work: for moving pieces on the screen (i.e., player/missile graphics, a.k.a. sprites), MAGIC would record an X-location and a Y-location on the screen; that's standard 2-D graphics. To simulate 3-D effects, MAGIC would also record a five-bit horizontal scale number comprised of a two-bit (i.e., 0-3) "size" and a three-bit (i.e., 0-7) "zoom" that would resize the sprite to approximate depth, with objects that are further away correspondingly reduced in size.

Fairly clever for 1984!

Well, the problems with this approach are:

1: Generating 3D Backgrounds and scenery will still need to use high plane modes, which will divide the color registers from what they could otherwise generate, as I don't see any equivalent to Mode 7

2: This will be theretically easier to code scrolling platformers and shoot 'em ups for than tilemode/sprite models like the Commodore 64, MSX, ColecoVision or Japanese consoles, but the code size in practice will be rather larger, which is a more difficult proposition when ROM chips cost more for their size.

3: The custom DSP for audio should (in theory) blow away the Yamaha FM chips in the Mega Drive/Genesis, the NEO-GEO, and Sharp X68000 and the six channel wavetable system in the PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 and probably equal the Ricoh/Sony PCM chip in the SNES and FM Townes, let alone VIC, SID, and POKEY. Not sure how it will stack up against PAULA or AMY.

4: While on paper it looks like it will have more sprites and and eight times the colors (with 320 colors max on screen at one time) than the Mega Drive/Genesis, it looks like it will be much more demanding on the CPU's time, much like MARIA from the Atari 7800, even if memory conflicts have been engineered out. As the 68000 only executes one instruction every 4 clock cycles, this could result in very bad slowdown, much like the first few cycles of SNES games due to the clock speed bug in the 65816 clone. Also, total pallette isn't a patch on the SNES, and Max Colors On Screen isn't a patch on the PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16.

Overall, it looks very interesting. Keep on keeping on!

Won't work. Activision already had the Marvel console license by then. Remember Spider-Man for the 2600.

That was Parker Bros.

Actually, if the video game market doesn't crash and console and computer sales remain high, Parker Bros. might end up a major player.

Parker Bros. either developed or held the U.S. publishing rights to:

Parker Bros. Video Games 1982-1984 for the Atari 2600:

Developed by Parker Bros.:

Spider-Man (1982)
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1982)
G.I. Joe: Cobra Strike (1983)
Montezuma's Revenge (1983)
Star Wars: Jedi Arena (1983)
Star Wars: Return of The Jedi- Death Star Battle (1983)
Frogger II: ThreeeDeep! (1984)

Developed by Nintendo:

Popeye (1982)
Sky Skipper (1983)

Developed by Gotlieb:

Q*bert (1982)
Reactor (1982)

Developed by Mylstar:

Q*Bert's Qubes (1984)

Developed by Konami:

Frogger (1982)
Super Cobra (1982)
Amidar (1983)
Tutankham (1983)
Gyruss (1984)

Developed by First Star:

Astro Chase (1982)

Developed by On Time Software:

James Bond 007 (1983)

Developed by Universal Co. Ltd.:

Mr. Do!'s Castle (1984)

One game I can't see Park Bros. get their hands on ITTL is Star Wars: The Arcade Game (1983), which was developed by Atari...and Atari is nowhere NEAR as stupid ITTL as they were in OTL.

Still, with 20 titles to their name (probably more without a crash) by 1984 in OTL, I'd figure, no crash, they remain a player in the industry.

Especially with the expanding market for computer games.

Well, the problems with this approach are:

1: Generating 3D Backgrounds and scenery will still need to use high plane modes, which will divide the color registers from what they could otherwise generate, as I don't see any equivalent to Mode 7

You're absolutely right here; there's nothing like the SNES Mode 7 in the proposed MAGIC chip. My guess is that if the Intellivision III ever makes it to market -- and, despite the enthusiasm from the past few posts, who's to say it will? -- its 3D capabilities will be used to make things like OTL's Ballblazer more immersive (as opposed to creating something like Super Mario World). Remember that Intellivision was always known for its sports games both IOTL and ITTL.

Whoa, so we basically have a system with SNES capabilities seven years early? I'm liking this timeline....

Welcome aboard, RySenkari! Before you fall too deeply in love with it, remember that the Intellivision III is a non-working mockup from a division that's about to be sold for parts! :eek:

I nominated this for a Turtledove, by the way. Hope you don't mind.

I'm honestly at a loss for what to say, other than my most sincere thanks. Given the other truly fantastic timelines out there set in the same time period, this is one instance where I can say it truly is an honor just to be nominated. :)

That was Parker Bros.

Actually, if the video game market doesn't crash and console and computer sales remain high, Parker Bros. might end up a major player.

Welcome to the thread, Sigma7, and thanks for the information on Parker Bros. They're doing quite well in 1984 ITTL, although the real question will be whether General Mills still buys them out in 1985; Ellen Wojahn argues rather persuasively that General Mills's mismanagement destroyed Parker Bros. such that Tonka was able to acquire them for pennies on the dollar just two years later.

OTOH, it's hard to know exactly what General Mills was thinking in the first place, and a more viable computer market might drive up the price so as to make the merger impracticable. Of course, 1985 is still a long way away....

Welcome to the thread, Sigma7, and thanks for the information on Parker Bros. They're doing quite well in 1984 ITTL, although the real question will be whether General Mills still buys them out in 1985; Ellen Wojahn argues rather persuasively that General Mills's mismanagement destroyed Parker Bros. such that Tonka was able to acquire them for pennies on the dollar just two years later.

OTOH, it's hard to know exactly what General Mills was thinking in the first place, and a more viable computer market might drive up the price so as to make the merger impracticable. Of course, 1985 is still a long way away....

Atari Survival being an Alternate History passion of mine, I couldn't resist.:)

Especially when I saw your 800XLP.:cool:

I had an 800XL for a while when I was a kid and it was rough watching the Apple II series computers (with vastly inferior graphics and sound) get all that software made for it while Atari got the shaft.

Tramiel had a lot to do with that, but it looks like he's confined to destroying Commodore in TTL, which is fine and dandy with me.:D

The essentially, what really draws me in here is that you skip the XL line's untapped potential that was created by the 1200XL's failure by simplifying Atari's response from the 'Sweet 16' project turn they took OTL, introducing the 800XL but also a 600XL that chewed up resources that would have been better utilized (and WAY more cost effective) for the marketing and production of a single 8 bit computer and it's peripheral expansion.:cool:

I am curious as to how Atari will avoid cannibalizing it's share of the console market by continuing to sell the 2600 well past it's expiration date...or will you have Warner make the smart move and end 2600 production as soon as a 7800 capable of running both new format (7800) and old format (2600) hit store shelves?

As to Parker Bros., I had just about the complete catalog of Atari 8 bit versions of the games they published and they were really well made ports.

Gyruss remains one of my all time favorite shooters to this day. Very well made port there, good sound and graphics and endless playability.

Like most games from that period though, they rushed the production, which has always led me to believe that, had they taken a little more time in development, Gyruss (and a few others) could have been even better (better developed sound and graphics, more levels, etc...).

Bear in mind, that list is only the projects that made it to market.

I doubt that was all they had planned, and I can't help but wonder what else they were working on (or held the publishing rights to) when the market collapsed.

Somebody told me once that they were planning a new Spider-Man game for 5200/Atari 8 bit computers before the 5200/1200XL machines crashed and burned. I can't speak for the veracity of the claim, but it would have made sense to resume development with a more stable Atari platform to develop it for.

Also like the idea of how EA development for Atari 800XLP will progress in TTL. Some say Trip Hawkins (among other third party publishers) hated Tramiel for the havoc he wrought on the home computer market (the bread and butter of companies like EA) in '83 and '84, and, as a result, withheld their best titles from the Atari 8 bit market in a rather punitive (if money losing) action.

Any TL that sees The Bard's Tale trilogy and Wasteland published for Atari home computers is good in my book.:cool:

(Also, the Wizardry series, Might and Magic/M&M 2, Ultima V and SSI's 'Gold Box' series, of course, would have been welcome additions to my software library...but I think that goes without saying.:D)

As for Parker Bros. and selling to General Mills...if they're not only pumping out a steady stream of high quality (and most importantly high SELLING) games, in a healthy console/computer market (and without crash difficulties and a platform capable of handling them, I don't doubt they'd have released computer versions of some of their most popular board games, like Risk, Monopoly and Clue) I see them sitting pretty and in no desire to sell. Who would sell when there's too much money to be made both in the present AND the future?

I think a robust video game division could have saved them, actually, as it would have changed the nature of what the traditional game companies would have to do to compete and survive in the evolving landscape.

Just look at how well Hasbro's done with making computer/console/online versions of all those old Parker Bros. properties.;)

One question though: ITTL, did Atari retain publishing rights to Star Wars: The Arcade Game? They developed it and I don't, for the life of me, understand why they ever handed the publishing rights to THE arcade hit of 1983 to Parker Bros. in the first place, OTL.:confused:

P.S.

LOVE the switch to W65C02 for their 8 bit CPU. The ability to max out those systems at 3 mhz. is a tasty idea.:cool:

[4] More changes: "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" never breaks through to #1 IOTL because of the logjam created by "Amanda" and "Every Breath You Take." "Stand Back" is never written ITTL (which is a shame); "If Anyone Falls" is the only top-40 hit for Stevie Nicks from her album The Wild Heart. "Nightbird" remains one of Stevie's favorites, but it doesn't crack the top 40 ITTL (it peaked at #33 IOTL). Taco's "Puttin' on the Ritz" never cracks the top 10 although it is still used to comedic effect in Young Frankenstein.

Being a Stevie Nicks fan for a quarter of a century now, I focused laser-like on this footnote. I am to infer from this, I believe, that Stevie never called Prince after hearing "Little Red Corvette" and invited him to drop by the studio where she was recording The Wild Heart. I'm particularly tickled that you made note of "Nightbird", which is probably my favorite track off the album. (Did you know that the picture sleeve for the 45 was pulled OTL because of a dispute between Stevie's label and the photographer?) I'd have to think that the comparative less success of The Wild Heart ITTL will have knock-on effects down the line (one Top 40 hit as compared to two, I suppose "If Anyone Falls" was the first single TTL). Stevie was dealing with a lot of complications in her personal life at this time OTL (her best friend had just died of leukemia - which is a huge part of the emotional subtext behind The Wild Heart - and Stevie, in a very bizarre move, had married the widower out of a sense of duty to her friend's newborn son; not to mention that she was dealing with a cocaine problem which would come to a head a couple of years later, in 1985/86. OTL, Stevie was so messed up by coke at that time that she literally didn't do any promo interviews for Rock A Little - she memorably offended David Letterman at the time by refusing his invitation to come on Late Night, though they later buried the hatchet and she's been on the show several times from the 1990's on. If you look at photographs of her from the RAL tour, she's a wreck. She went into rehab in late 1986 OTL...and had to do it again in the early 1990's because she got addicted to Klonopin, which she had been prescribed as part of her treatment for her cocaine habit. To this day, Stevie says that she thinks Klonopin was actually worse for her than cocaine because during her addiction to the prescription med, she pretty much hit bottom as far as creativity went. Hopefully you can avoid that TTL.)

The absence of "Stand Back" will have repercussions down the line ITTL, because it'll eliminate the song which is probably her best-known solo work IOTL next to "Edge of Seventeen". IOTL, "Stand Back" is a major setpiece not just of Stevie's solo concerts but of Fleetwood Mac's concerts, ever since 1987. The Mac put "Stand Back" into the set list because they were building up Stevie's role to help fill the gap left by Lindsey Buckingham's departure. This is another butterfly you might want to play with; IOTL, Buckingham quit the Mac (right in the middle of planning for a major tour to support Tango in the Night) because he just couldn't deal with the grueling pace of touring anymore - which led to a furious confrontation with Stevie, though (contrary to what Mick Fleetwood said in his 1990 autobiography) it did NOT escalate to physical violence. What if Lindsey decides to go out for one more full-scale tour with the band when Tango comes out?

As you may know, Stevie is closely connected with Don Henley; she's been a close friend for many years - "Leather and Lace", off
Bella Donna a few months before the POD (and "The Highwayman" is a shout-out to Don and the rest of the Eagles, among others) - and they were romantically involved in the 1970's. (I was once told that several of the lines in "Hotel California" are a shout-out to Stevie.) The story has it that they actually got together because of a prank by Mick and John McVie, who ordered up a huge bouquet one night during the 1975/76 world tour (a large part of which they shared with the Eagles) and sent it to Stevie with a sappy romantic message purporting to be from Don. Stevie was incensed when she found out the truth, but had the last laugh by ending up having an actual love affair with Don. I think you might be able to do something with that friendship ITTL as Don gets more active in politics...

Atari Survival being an Alternate History passion of mine, I couldn't resist.:)

Especially when I saw your 800XLP.:cool:

You've come to the right place, then!

Tramiel had a lot to do with that, but it looks like he's confined to destroying Commodore in TTL, which is fine and dandy with me.:D

We'll check in with Jack "Business is War" Tramiel in the next few updates. He's been busy since being fired from Commodore!

I am curious as to how Atari will avoid cannibalizing it's share of the console market by continuing to sell the 2600 well past it's expiration date...or will you have Warner make the smart move and end 2600 production as soon as a 7800 capable of running both new format (7800) and old format (2600) hit store shelves?

That's a sharp eye you've got there! The short answer is that this isn't an Atariwank TL, so they'll continue to make their share of mistakes.

The longer answer: since early 1983, Atari has been selling what is essentially OTL's 2600jr; that is, the cheapest possible 2600 in a plastic case. The first 6 months got you the "E.T. Edition" that I discuss in post #25; since then, the signature has come off and the price has been dropping to about $50, which obviously nets Atari very little profit. Meanwhile, their "high-end" machine is the completely backwards-compatible 7800 (conceptualized by Atari in post #40), which hit the market in May of 1983 at $149 and was one of the must-have toys for the '83 holiday season.

Atari believes that one of the major reasons for the ColecoVision's early success -- and the success of their own 7800 -- is backwards-compatibility with the 2600. On top of that, remember that Carla Meninsky was elevated to head of Atari's entire software division in '82, and her background is in programming 2600 games. So yes: the 2600 has and will continue to have a lot of people arguing in favor of keeping it around in Atari's upper management.

Gyruss remains one of my all time favorite shooters to this day. Very well made port there, good sound and graphics and endless playability.

1 warp to Earth! (I still think of Gyruss whenever I hear Bach's Toccata and Fugue.)

Any TL that sees The Bard's Tale trilogy and Wasteland published for Atari home computers is good in my book.:cool: (Also, the Wizardry series, Might and Magic/M&M 2, Ultima V and SSI's 'Gold Box' series, of course, would have been welcome additions to my software library...but I think that goes without saying.:D)

Well, this foreshadows the next development (which will probably go live tomorrow if all goes well), but here goes: IOTL, software developers were loath to release Atari software on floppy disk, largely out of the (mistaken) belief that Atari owners didn't own disk drives. ITTL, that isn't the case, so all of those super-complex programs can be released on floppies.

I still remember Ultima IV for the Atari 8-bit came on four 5.25" disks, which was essentially unheard of at the time. (I think Arena came on two, but it might have been three.)

One question though: ITTL, did Atari retain publishing rights to Star Wars: The Arcade Game? They developed it and I don't, for the life of me, understand why they ever handed the publishing rights to THE arcade hit of 1983 to Parker Bros. in the first place, OTL.:confused:

Yup. Check out post #27, in which Warner Bros. learns the value of video game/movie tie-ins.

Being a Stevie Nicks fan for a quarter of a century now, I focused laser-like on this footnote. I am to infer from this, I believe, that Stevie never called Prince after hearing "Little Red Corvette" and invited him to drop by the studio where she was recording The Wild Heart.

Welcome to the thread, joea64.

First, I absolutely love it when one of my readers figures out one of the many little clues I've left strewn throughout the timeline! You officially win a No-Prize for getting everything exactly right! (The event that it foreshadows is also just a few months away -- so see if you can figure that one out, too.)

Second, I too am a huge Stevie Nicks fan, so I'm hoping this TL treats her well! And thank you for the very detailed biographical info, some of which was completely new to me. When I use it down the line, I'll make sure you get a shout-out.

I'm particularly tickled that you made note of "Nightbird", which is probably my favorite track off the album. (Did you know that the picture sleeve for the 45 was pulled OTL because of a dispute between Stevie's label and the photographer?) I'd have to think that the comparative less success of The Wild Heart ITTL will have knock-on effects down the line (one Top 40 hit as compared to two, I suppose "If Anyone Falls" was the first single TTL).

We've already got a timeline without "Dirty Laundry" and "Stand Back" -- it would be cruel and unusual punishment to deprive its denizens of "Nightbird" as well, don't you think?

The absence of "Stand Back" will have repercussions down the line ITTL, because it'll eliminate the song which is probably her best-known solo work IOTL next to "Edge of Seventeen". IOTL, "Stand Back" is a major setpiece not just of Stevie's solo concerts but of Fleetwood Mac's concerts, ever since 1987. The Mac put "Stand Back" into the set list because they were building up Stevie's role to help fill the gap left by Lindsey Buckingham's departure.

You're exactly right that it will have repercussions, but I can't say more right now, though. :)

Welcome to the thread, joea64.

First, I absolutely love it when one of my readers figures out one of the many little clues I've left strewn throughout the timeline! You officially win a No-Prize for getting everything exactly right! (The event that it foreshadows is also just a few months away -- so see if you can figure that one out, too.)

Second, I too am a huge Stevie Nicks fan, so I'm hoping this TL treats her well! And thank you for the very detailed biographical info, some of which was completely new to me. When I use it down the line, I'll make sure you get a shout-out.

We've already got a timeline without "Dirty Laundry" and "Stand Back" -- it would be cruel and unusual punishment to deprive its denizens of "Nightbird" as well, don't you think?

You're exactly right that it will have repercussions, but I can't say more right now, though. :)

I infer that the event in question is the release of Purple Rain. You really haven't made much if any mention of Prince so far in this TL, so I also infer that "Little Red Corvette" was not as big a hit as OTL (presumably also affecting "1999" off the same album, IIRC.) That might mean that Hollywood doesn't get the idea of approaching Prince about a movie, which means Purple Rain doesn't get made. If Prince doesn't make it big, THAT in turn has knock-on effects affecting a whole slew of other musicians, from Sheila E. to Sheena Easton.

If you want to have Don involved in helping Stevie get clean and get her career back on track, here's an OTL event that might help make the connection; in September 1985, if memory serves me right, several months before the release of Rock A Little, Henley enlisted Nicks' participation in an environmental benefit (I forget what it was for - Walden Woods or something like that?) Perhaps TTL the event is a political one, with Don contacting Stevie to see if she's interested in helping a candidate he's working for.

1984 is a pretty big year for Mac solo projects; Mick Fleetwood (working with his band the Zoo, which included future OTL Fleetwood Mac lead guitarist Billy Burnette), Christine McVie, and Lindsey Buckingham all put out solo albums that year. I forget exactly which one it was, but the band got the impetus to get back together and start work on Tango in the Night during the recording sessions for one of those albums. All three of those albums had at least one Top 40 single ("I Want You Back" - the video for which had Stevie in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo at the end, "Got A Hold On Me", and "Go Insane" for the Zoo, McVie and Buckingham respectively). None of those three albums was OTL as successful as The Wild Heart; TTL, if Stevie is smarting from the (relative) failure of her second solo album, she might be more amenable to getting back together with the Mac earlier for the Tango studio sessions than IOTL. Maybe Don talks her into it?

I was pretty closely involved with the hard-core Stevie fandom for about 10 years from the mid-1980's to the mid-1990's (even going so far as to get a couple of Usenet newsgroups devoted to the Mac and Stevie going when I first got onto the Internet), so I have a lot of information (both hard news and gossip) from that period to supply should you need it. I even have copies of the fanzines (remember those prehistoric, pre-Web days?) Dreams, Velvet Underground and Rumours from that era. If you can end up having Stevie avoid getting hooked on Klonopin and releasing her career-nadir Street Angel in 1994, that'd be very nice. :) And get her to release some more of those songs she's had sitting around for decades, earlier than OTL - did you know that "Secret Love", her first single off In Your Dreams, had been kicking around in demo form for thirty-five-plus years (and that it was one of the demos that got swiped, then released on the notorious "Almanac" bootleg in the late '70's?)

Last edited:
You're absolutely right here; there's nothing like the SNES Mode 7 in the proposed MAGIC chip. My guess is that if the Intellivision III ever makes it to market -- and, despite the enthusiasm from the past few posts, who's to say it will? -- its 3D capabilities will be used to make things like OTL's Ballblazer more immersive (as opposed to creating something like Super Mario World). Remember that Intellivision was always known for its sports games both IOTL and ITTL.

I was thinking more along the lines of F-Zero, Pilotwings, The ROC series and the vehicle portions of the Super Star Wars trilogy, plus Konami's NFL Football.

“The Atari Primary”: March-June, 1984

March 2, 1984

Amidst public excitement over the Democratic primary, Atari’s Software Group – a subdivision of Atari Games headed by programmer Chris Crawford and tasked with producing entertainment programs for teens and adults[1] – releases Elect The President ‘84 for the 800XLP.[2] Although the program itself covers only the general election, Atari would advertise it heavily during the contentious Democratic primary season, supported by humorous TV ads featuring political commentator John McLaughlin of “The McLaughlin Group.”

The advertisements proved so successful that the 1988 version was re-titled “John McLaughlin’s Elect The President” and incorporated McLaughlin’s catch-phrase, “On a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 representing no possibility and 10 representing complete metaphysical certitude,” for various internal ratings.

Today, some political scientists still refer to the 1984 primary as “the Atari Primary,” after McLaughlin began referring to it as such on his show.

Analog Computing
Issue No. 18 (April 1984)
Elect the President ‘84
by Nelson G. Hernandez, Sr.
Atari, Inc.
64K Disk/$34.95
0-3 players

Review by Michael Des Chesnes
-------------
Even if you’re not an election junkie who watches every debate with rapt interest and stays up late waiting for election returns, don’t let that stop you from taking a look at Atari’s newest release, Elect the President ‘84.

Elect the President ‘84 is a richly-detailed election simulator that lets you replay any historical U.S. presidential election from 1960 to the present, including the upcoming election this year. For each scenario –including 1984 – Elect the President ‘84 allows you to input variables such as unemployment, inflation, peace or wartime, and the “national mood.” You can then selecting presidential and vice-presidential candidates from the Democratic Party, the Republican Party, and (if you so choose) a Third Party. The game contains over 50 candidates from history and also allows you to design your own candidacy by answering a series of questions about various political issues such as the death penalty, the minimum wage, relations with the Soviet Union, and so on.

This means that you can reconstruct close elections from the recent past (such as Carter v. Ford in 1976, or Kennedy v. Nixon in 1960) or make your own “what if” scenarios, such as: what if President Kennedy had lived and ended the war in Vietnam, or what if Richard Nixon had not been caught?

Once you have constructed a “scenario,” you can choose from zero to three players. The “zero” players option ignores the effects of the campaign and simply simulates the election, drawing upon the work of political scientists at Harvard University.

Choosing one to three players – who are assigned to the candidates, with any unassigned candidates being managed by the computer’s Artificial Intelligence – begins a ten-week general election campaign. As the campaign manager, you must decide how to allocate your “Political Action Points” between national, regional, and state-level advertising, as well as scheduling your candidate’s public appearances at whistle stops, campaign rallies, and fundraisers.

This is trickier than it seems! Overschedule your candidate, and he may “gaffe,” hurting his national approval rating. Ignore a key state, and you may see it shift from solid Democratic red to “leaning” Democratic pink, or possibly even a cyan “TOO CLOSE TO CALL.”

200px-President_Elect_%28computer_game_-_screen_shot%291.png

Screen shot from Atari's Elect the President '84'

The game also schedules random events, such as natural disasters, foreign policy crises, a sudden drop in unemployment and so forth, and gauges your candidate’s reaction. You can also agree to up to four debates, which will test your candidate’s ability to answer issues where his position is popular while artfully evading a direct answer that could hurt his standing in key states.

My colleague Lee Pappas and I played 1984. I chose Colorado Senator Gary Hart (the likely Democratic nominee) with Jesse Jackson as his running mate; Lee got the incumbent team of Ronald Reagan and George Bush. After a grueling ten-week mud-wrestling match, Hart/Jackson defeated Reagan/Bush, 330-208. We switched sides and changed up the candidates a bit; Lee took former Vice-President Walter Mondale and Ohio Senator John Glenn, but they still managed to defeat President Reagan, 301-237.[3]

As with all Atari releases, your purchase of Elect the President ’84 comes with both a 5.25” floppy disk and the new 3.5” semi-flexible disk. The game’s internal copy protection asks you to answer various questions about the enclosed 48-page manual such as “what is the third word on the 17th page?”[4]

March 11, 1984

During a Democratic primary debate in Atlanta, Georgia, former Vice President Walter Mondale tells Colorado Sen. Gary Hart, “When I hear your ‘new ideas,’ I’m reminded of that ad: ‘Where’s the beef?’” Afterwards, Mondale jokes that he should fire all of his speechwriters and “hire somebody from Hee Haw.”

The “Where’s the beef?” crack obscures what political commentators consider a more serious gaffe made by Hart earlier in the debate; when asked how he would respond to a Czechoslovakian passenger jet that transgressed U.S. airspace and ignored warnings to turn back, Hart responded that he would send up fighter jets to determine whether the plane was manned by hostile forces. “If the people they looked in on and saw they had uniforms on, I would shoot the aircraft down,” says Hart. “If they were civilians, I would just let them keep going.” Immediately thereafter, Ohio Sen. John Glenn dryly noted that such a fly-by would be impossible. “You don’t go peeking in the windows to see if they have uniforms on,” he cracked. Glenn would withdraw from the presidential race just five days later.[5]

March 13, 1984

Notwithstanding his lackluster performance at Sunday’s debate, Gary Hart wins six Super Tuesday contests, racking up victories in every region in the country, from the conservative south (Florida) to the liberal northeast (Massachusetts and Rhode Island), the midwest (Oklahoma), the west (Nevada), and the Pacific coast (Washington). Walter Mondale, meanwhile, wins the Georgia and Alabama primaries.

Meanwhile, 20th Century Fox Licensing Corp. announces plans to release a line of Dynasty products, including “Forever Krystle” perfume, Dynasty lingerie, blouses, and shoes, “Dynasty blue” tuxedos, and Dynasty-themed wall coverings, china, and other home décor items. President Chuck Ashman gushes, “By the holidays, you will be able to dress like Krystle, Alexis, Blake, or Jeff, to do your home in the Carrington motif, and even smell like one of them!”[6]

March 20, 1984

Walter Mondale defeats Gary Hart in the Illinois primary, 40-35%, even though polls had shown Hart ahead by as much as ten points just a few days previously. Political analysts attribute Mondale’s come-from-behind win to his pointed criticisms of Hart’s Illinois ads. Decrying Mondale as the “candidate of special interests and bosses,” Hart’s ad attacked Cook County Democratic chairman Edward Vrdolyak by name as one such “boss.” After Mondale called out Hart as “an opportunist and a divider,” Hart sheepishly agreed to pull the ad. However, what the Hart campaign calls “a series of internal mishaps” ensured that the advertisement ran all weekend prior to the primary. For his part, Mondale seized on the discrepancy, stating: “Here’s a person who wants to be President of the United States, and he can’t get an ad off of television.”

April 3, 1984
Gary Hart – fresh off of a twenty-five point blowout of Walter Mondale in the Connecticut primary – finishes third in the New York primary, behind both Mondale and Jesse Jackson. When all the votes are counted, Mondale wins with 45%, Jackson finishes second with 27.1% (his strongest showing to date, by far), and Hart finishes a close third with 26.4%.[7]

The New York primary is particularly noteworthy in that it took place under the scrutiny of extensive media coverage of a Washington Post article quoting an unnamed source that Jackson frequently referred to Jews as “Hymie” and New York City as “Hymietown.”

In an interview with NBC’s Roger Mudd, Jackson tells a story about an imaginary boat ride he took with the Pope. “The Pope’s holy mitre, his cap, blows off of his head and into the water. The Pope reached for it and could not get it. So Jesse Jackson got up and walked across the water and got the cap and brought it back. And the Pope expressed his thanks to me. And the press, in the next boat, saw this entire event. The headlines the next day? ‘Jesse Can’t Swim.’” Mudd’s follow up question: “Are you saying the press coverage of the ‘Hymietown’ story helped you in New York?” “Absolutely, Roger,” says Jackson. “The American people have rejected the idea that an anonymous hit piece should tell them how to vote. You can stab me in the back, but the voters want to move this country forward.”

Meanwhile, Gary Hart wins the Wisconsin primary, 44-41% over Walter Mondale. No one notices.

April 10, 1984

Walter Mondale wins the Pennsylvania primary with 42% of the vote. Gary Hart finishes in second place with 31%, and Jesse Jackson finishes third with 22%.

President Reagan – who is running unopposed in the Republican primary – appears at a fundamentalist rally at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. He is introduced by the university’s president, Jerry Falwell,who quips, “The beef is here tonight!”

April 27, 1984

Atari releases “The Big Three” ad, in which John McLaughlin, sitting on the set of The McLaughlin Group and using an Atari 800XLP, intones: “Issue number one. The Democratic race is down to the big three, and one of Walter Mondale, Gary Hart, or Jesse Jackson will take on President Reagan in the fall. WRONG! You will take him on – or any of dozens of historical races – using your Atari professional computer and Elect the President ’84!”[8]

On a goodwill tour of China, First Lady Nancy Reagan presents a Peking zoo with a check for $14,138 raised in the U.S. to help feed starving pandas. Jesse Jackson remarks in an interview that “Senior citizens in this country are living on cat and dog food, and the Reagans are over there feeding Communist pandas.” The clip would later be used by MTV as an intro to Weird Al Yankovic’s music video for the song “I Want a Panda,” before being pulled at the Jackson campaign’s request.

May 8, 1984
On “Super Tuesday II,” The Democratic presidential primary continues to have no clear front-runner. Jesse Jackson, fresh off of impressive wins in Washington, D.C. (with 70% of the vote) and Louisiana (where Walter Mondale finished a distant third for the first time), squeaks out a victory in North Carolina. In his victory speech, he jokingly thanks Atari “for being the first on board the bandwagon,” claiming that his campaign will be “the battle wagon that drives Ronald Reagan from the White House in November.”

Walter Mondale, the establishment candidate, wins Maryland with 42% of the vote.

Meanwhile, Gary Hart – held winless since April 3 – picks up narrow victories in Indiana and Ohio. Observers credit his new stump speech, which “doubled down” on the charge that Walter Mondale is the candidate of special interests and political bosses that failed to strike a chord in Illinois. Hart’s new speech claims that Mondale is evading campaign financing laws by “accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars in Political Action Committee money,” and includes the call-and-response chant “Give the money back, Walter!”[9]

May 15, 1984

At auction, INTV Corp., a joint venture between former Mattel executive Terry Valeski and ex-Commodore CEO Jack Tramiel, purchases the inventory of the Mattel Electronics division as well as all rights to any and all Intellivision properties. Valeski announces that INTV will continue to sell the Intellivision in retail stores and via mail order, and “is committed to bringing the Intellivision III to market.”[10]

Gary Hart sweeps the Idaho, Nebraska, and Oregon primaries by 2-1 margins over Walter Mondale, with Jesse Jackson polling in the single digits.

May 18, 1984

Heavy metal band Twisted Sister releases their third studio album, Stay Hungry, featuring heavily made up frontman Dee Snider mock-gnawing on a raw cow femur on the cover. In a (censored) interview with MTV, Snider explains the band’s trademark appearance: “We look like women, we sing like men, and we play like mother*ckers.”

Stay Hungry would spawn four singles: “We’re Not Gonna Take It,” “I Wanna Rock,” “Burn in Hell,” and “The Price,” of which the first remains the band’s only Top 10 hit.

After Walter Mondale announces that he will refund $400,000 in Political Action Committee (PAC) contributions, Gary Hart says that “is not enough.” Interviewed by CBS, a befuddled Mondale responds, “You mean it didn’t satisfy him? That comes as a shock. Gosh, I thought it would satisfy him.”

May 25, 1984

With California and New Jersey as the two largest remaining primaries on the calendar, Gary Hart appears with his wife, Lee, at a fundraiser in Los Angeles, California. After a standard stump speech, Hart elicits sympathy from his supporters for the “long separation” from his wife, who has been campaigning on the West Coast while Hart stumps out East. “She campaigns in California,” Hart explains, “and I campaign in New Jersey.”

“I got to hold a koala bear,” Lee Hart says, excitedly.

Riffing, Hart jokes, “I got to hold samples from a toxic waste dump.” Although the remark is greeted with laughter by the L.A. crowd, it plays considerably less well when picked up by the local New Jersey newscasts.[11]

Two days later, Hart – in full damage-control mode – would attempt to explain away the remarks. “I was just talking about the hazards of commuting coast-to-coast,” he said. “That’s all I said. The people of New Jersey are more intelligent than that. They know a remark made in jest and lightheartedly, about having to commute coast-to-coast to see my wife, was not meant disparagingly about their state.”

June 5, 1984

Glenn Frey releases his second solo album, Smuggler’s Blues, which would spawn the Top 10 hit of the same name as well as two other Top 40 hits. In 1985, Frey would re-release the album to include the #1 smash “The Heat is On” (replacing “Out of the Darkness”).[12]

On “Super Tuesday III,” Walter Mondale beats Gary Hart by fifteen points in the New Jersey (45-30%) and West Virginia (53-38%) primaries. Although Hart runs the table in the other four states – including an impressive five-point victory in heavily contested California, Mondale claims to have the 1,967 delegates he needs to be the Democratic nominee.

“Welcome to overtime,” claims Hart, who would also win the uncontested North Dakota primary on June 12 with 85% (Mondale was not on the ballot in North Dakota).

--------------
Notes:

[1] Internally at Atari, the term “games” would come to refer to programs released on cartridge format (whether for Atari’s computers or its video game systems) and generally aimed at children. “Software,” on the other hand, would refer to games released on diskette for Atari’s computers, and generally aimed at teens and adults. Finally, the term “program” was typically used for non-game software such as word processing, data bases, spreadsheets, programming languages, and graphics and music composition software. Product serial numbers would carry a trailing “G,” “S,” or “P” indicating from which division they were produced and how they were internally categorized at Atari.

Chris Crawford’s division would eventually be nicknamed Atari’s “PG-13” division and would be responsible for many of the classics of “adult” gaming, including M.U.L.E., Eastern Front (1941), Legionnaire, Elect the President ’84, John McLaughlin’s Elect the President, and Balance of Power. After its acquisition, Infocom would be merged into the Atari Software Group, which is thought to have contributed to the demise of its planned Cornerstone data base project.

[2] This is virtually identical to OTL’s President Elect, first released by SSI in 1981.

[3] Don't read too much into these results! Elect the President ‘84 is based on a “guns and butter”-style forecast model like the one developed at roughly this time by Professor Douglas Hibbs, and unemployment is still nearly 8% in early 1984. Ultimately, later models would incorporate directionality as well as the raw numbers; unemployment was over 10% for much of 1982 and 1983 and so the voting public generally perceived the economy as having been in a strong recovery even though the raw numbers were still disappointing.

This directionality-vs.-raw numbers approach is still hotly debated today; as late as October of 2012, a forecasting model developed by two university of Colorado professors was predicting a Mitt Romney landslide based largely on raw economic data (and despite being fed current polls showing a significant Obama lead in every swing state).

[4] This is exactly the same copy protection used by President Elect IOTL and forms the Atari Software Group’s strategy with respect to piracy of programs sold on floppy disk. With language restricting the purchaser to a single “license,” Atari decides to include both 5.25” and 3.5” disks in a single packaging in order to avoid retailer confusion.

[5] As OTL.

[6] Almost all of this is OTL; thanks to Brainbin for his comments on the 1983-84 TV season which inspired this note.

[7] This is a very slight reversal of OTL, which saw Mondale with the same 45%, Hart finishing in second with 27%, and Jackson a whisker behind at 26%.

[8] McLaughlin has a pretty good sense of humor about himself IOTL, you know.

[9] As OTL.

[10] Thanks to Kalvan and others in this thread who expressed so much interest in the fate of almost-certain vaporware. :)

[11] All as OTL; I was just struck by the parallelism to this election cycle’s “47%” comments.

[12] OTL, the album is called The Allnighter, after the song of the same name, and MCA released “Sexy Girl” (#20 on the Billboard Top 100) as the first single, followed by “The Allnighter” (#54), and then “Smuggler’s Blues” (#12). Here, “Smuggler’s Blues” is the title track, released first, and charts in the Top 10.

Last edited:
Presidential-election simulators have always been popular with those of us nerds who are into gaming politics; Game Designer's Workshop released a presidential board game in the 1980's, though I don't believe (I used to own it, but don't have it anymore so I can't check) that it included actual political figures. Looks like it'll be the TTL progenitor of a line running right up to TTL's version of The Political Machine. Meanwhile, it looks like Jesse Jackson is doing a bit better ITTL; I still don't think he'll win the nomination, but he might be able to make a serious play for the VP slot at the San Francisco convention if he can keep this performance going. Of course, then the general election will be coming up...and IOTL Reagan wiped the floor with Mondale/Ferraro. Since the overall national/world situation seems to be pretty much the same ITTL as IOTL, whoever wins the Democratic nomination is going to have an unenviable task...unless something significant happens to damage Reagan.

The fact that "The Heat Is On" makes #1 ITTL (as, I believe, IOTL) implies that Beverly Hills Cop gets released on schedule. Right now, Frey is being a lot more musically active than Henley. Now here's the $64k question; will Don get the idea of recording the TTL version of Building the Perfect Beast (OTL released 11/19/84 on Geffen) IF he can find a new record label, such as signing a contract with Geffen? Or is he going to turn decisively toward political work and withdraw from music except for special one-off performances and recordings?

I simply said it was an interesting system.

Frankly, what I would have done was use a 65802 or 65816 for the CPU clocked at 7.16 Mhz so that it wouldn't be a boat anchor to the chipset and used a CMOS version of the General Instrument 1600 clocked at 3.58 Mhz for the I/O controller, to give it backward compatibility with the previous Intellevisions.

Also, I'd redesign the controller to give it side action buttons and a self-centering analog joystick. The reason I only played them at Sears and Hecks and Children's Palace growing up is that they made my thumbs hurt something fierce.

That said, making Tramiel be the one to invest in it makes me want to see what he's going to do next

Last edited:
Just dropping in to express my continuing interest in this story! :)

Welcome back, and hopefully it's met your expectations. Be sure to turn in for tomorrow's update, which features a very big divergence....

I infer that the event in question is the release of Purple Rain. You really haven't made much if any mention of Prince so far in this TL, so I also infer that "Little Red Corvette" was not as big a hit as OTL (presumably also affecting "1999" off the same album, IIRC.)

Another winning guess; "Little Red Corvette" was teased in footnote 2 of post #52...

That might mean that Hollywood doesn't get the idea of approaching Prince about a movie, which means Purple Rain doesn't get made.

...but every winning streak has to come to an end eventually. :) "Little Red Corvette" and "1999" were only slightly less popular ITTL; Purple Rain is still (inexplicably) greenlighted by Warner Brothers.

I was thinking more along the lines of F-Zero, Pilotwings, The ROC series and the vehicle portions of the Super Star Wars trilogy, plus Konami's NFL Football.

As always, I like the way you think, Kalvan.

Meanwhile, it looks like Jesse Jackson is doing a bit better ITTL; I still don't think he'll win the nomination, but he might be able to make a serious play for the VP slot at the San Francisco convention if he can keep this performance going.

It's funny how butterflying a few thousand votes in New York can drastically affect the national conversation, isn't it? That being said, Jackson's surprise second-place finish brings increased coverage and scrutiny to his campaign, which actually depresses his finish in the later primaries. And the Democratic National Convention kicks off in San Francisco in just six weeks....

Now here's the $64k question; will Don get the idea of recording the TTL version of Building the Perfect Beast (OTL released 11/19/84 on Geffen) IF he can find a new record label, such as signing a contract with Geffen? Or is he going to turn decisively toward political work and withdraw from music except for special one-off performances and recordings?

That question will be answered on May 10, 1985 -- and if you've figured that one out (which is at least theoretically possible from the clues I've left), please send it to me via PM rather than posting it publicly! :)

I simply said it was an interesting system.
Frankly, what I would have done was use a 65802 or 65816 for the CPU clocked at 7.16 Mhz so that it wouldn't be a boat anchor to the chipset and used a CMOS version of the General Instrument 1600 clocked at 3.58 Mhz for the I/O controller, to give it backward compatibility with the previous Intellevisions.

This is why I love having you on the TL, Kalvan. :)

This is almost doable; Bill Mensch, president of the Atari Semiconductor Group (formerly The Western Design Center, Inc.) finished the design for the A65C02 in 1982, and the A65C816S is nearly complete (it was completed in March of 1984 IOTL, but delayed slightly due to the acquisition by Atari ITTL).

Also, I'd redesign the controller to give it side action buttons and a self-centering analog joystick. The reason I only played them at Sears and Hecks and Children's Palace growing up is that they made my thumbs hurt something fierce.

Sounds like the 7800 joystick, which -- like the 2600's from half a decade earlier -- is pretty much the industry standard, at least for now. (Atari had to learn the lesson the hard way with the 5200's Very Weird non-self-centering joystick; I do not recommend trying to play Pac-Man -- or really, anything -- with it.)

Do The Movie "WarGames" (and its ColecoVision-later-Atari related game) happen ITTL? And the movie "Electric Dreams"?

Do The Movie "WarGames" (and its ColecoVision-later-Atari related game) happen ITTL? And the movie "Electric Dreams"?

WarGames is exactly as IOTL, including its video game adaptation. More surprisingly, Thorn EMI's unauthorized knockoff Computer War somehow manages to avoid being the subject of a lawsuit in two universes, despite essentially admitting to IP theft right on the cover (with the legend "Based on the Hit Movie WarGames").

Electric Dreams -- and thanks for that blast from the past! -- is due out in July of 1984 (and so is technically in the future), but tomorrow's update takes us through July anyway, so here goes: the film has minor butterflies in the design of the computer (that calls the protagonist 'Moles'), but has the same fate as IOTL: box office bomb and mid-80s cable TV movie staple. The only thing I can't reveal is whether "Together in Electric Dreams" will remain a staple of live shows by The Human League ITTL, because the music industry is about to undergo some major shakeups....