Dirty Laundry: An Alternate 1980s

Inspired by several really good pop culture timelines, I thought I might start one that focuses on the 1980s, and one of my favorite musical artists of all time....

------------------------------

December 14, 1981

It was shaping up to be one of those nights. Don was sprawled out on his stomach on the ‎living room floor, surrounded by a sea of notebook paper – most of it torn, crumpled, folded, or ‎otherwise mutilated. “I’m out of inspiration,” he growled.‎

If true, this would have been a stunning revelation from the former Eagles drummer and ‎frontman. In reality, Donald Hugh Henley was frustrated by far too much inspiration. Earlier in the day ‎he’d penned yet another letter to the editor, this one to the Dallas Morning News, replying to ‎that paper’s op-ed about the national debt and skewering another Reagan story that was ‎transparently false. He was as proud of the letter as he was of his song lyrics; the problem was ‎keeping the two separate.[1] At one a.m., that was more of a challenge than one might otherwise ‎suspect. Henley looked down at his notes and drew a thick black line through the phrase “eighty ‎year olds with Social Security checks.”[2] Then, thinking better of the whole page, Don crumpled ‎up his latest songwriting attempt in frustration and tossed the ball a few feet away to join its ‎siblings. He needed to get his thoughts straight.‎

Henley’s writing partner, Danny Kortchmar – “Kootch” to his friends – had some ‎inspiration of his own. Getting up rather unsteadily from the nearby couch, Kootch wandered ‎even less steadily to the kitchen in search of a fresh bottle of Stolichnaya from Don’s freezer.‎

On the way back to the living room, Kootch unscrewed the cap and took a healthy slug. ‎If the past few months had been any guide, the two of them would stay up for another four or ‎five hours, trying to write just one more song for Don’s upcoming solo project while soaking up ‎copious quantities of Stoli, passing out just before sunrise and sleeping off most of the day.

The solo project had consumed both of them and fueled the unlikely duo’s friendship. ‎For Don, it represented the opportunity to truly own his music, free from the interference he ‎suffered while with the Eagles. Oh, sure, he’d written some fantastic songs and played some ‎terrific music, but it was somehow more satisfying to know that everything he did from here on ‎out would be his authentic vision, uncompromised.‎

Kootch, on the other hand, was trying to transition from being a session player to being ‎an authentic record producer. While it was great fun playing with Jackson Browne and Linda ‎Ronstadt, what Kootch really wanted to do was write – and sneaking in a single line about the ‎Flying Machine into James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain” didn’t cut it.‎[3]

Since hooking up with Henley, the two had been electric, pounding out nine songs (and ‎one instrumental) in just a couple of months. He was confident that the solo project would be a ‎success, but Don insisted they write “just one more” song, and so Kootch found himself once ‎again in Henley’s cramped living room in Sherman Oaks, California, wired on adrenaline and ‎drunk on vodka.‎

Kootch set the Stoli bottle down on a low table as he bent over to pick up Don’s errant ‎pen. Or, rather, he set the bottle down into empty space where his vodka-infused brain thought ‎such a table ought to have been. Momentary confusion set in as the bottle fell three feet, crashed ‎to the hardwood floor and rolled into the living room, spilling vodka everywhere. “Shit,” Don ‎said in hushed tones, “You’re going to wake up Maren.” The two began frantically cleaning up ‎the spilled vodka using whatever was nearby – towels, napkins, and even Don’s discarded notes. ‎Despite himself, Kootch giggled. “I swear, Don, there was a table there just a second ago.” ‎Henley rolled his eyes and tried not to laugh; he’d pulled the “invisible table” trick before, too.‎[4]

A few minutes later, Maren Jensen emerged from the long hallway connecting the living ‎room to Henley’s ground floor master bedroom wearing a thin nightgown. A former model and ‎actress on the cult sci-fi TV show Battlestar Galactica, Maren was five foot seven, slender, ‎with luxurious dark brown hair that fell about her shoulders.

She had been the first girl to ever tell Don “I love you” – or at least, the first one whom ‎Don had ever really believed. A year and a half ago, in an effort to impress his new girlfriend, ‎Henley had chartered a Lear jet to take the two of them to his ranch in Aspen, and the pilot had ‎screwed up the landing, flying too high and too fast. The tiny jet barreled off the end of the ‎runway at over sixty miles an hour, skidding over rocks that tore away the bottom of the plane. ‎They’d both thought they were going to die, there in the middle of a cow pasture in Colorado. ‎Henley had managed to tear off the emergency door and throw Maren out of the plane, fearing it ‎would explode. She let go of Don, telling him, “I love you” on the way down.[5]

That was what Don most wanted to hear now. He looked up from the floor, still ‎clutching a napkin, and searched Maren’s piercing ice-blue eyes to see how she was going to ‎react. Stone-faced, she relented after a second or two, giving Don a soft, almost pleading smile. ‎‎“We—” Don sputtered.‎

‎“I know,” she whispered. “Here, I brought some towels. Let’s get this cleaned up and ‎then… maybe you can come to bed?”‎

Don was instantly defensive. “Come on. You know I have to finish the album. The ‎guys at Asylum wanted it two months ago.”‎

‎“Don, honey, I know you want it to be perfect. But the album is done,” she said, ‎emphasizing the word “is.” “It’s going to be great. We both know it.” She corrected herself a ‎second later. “I mean, we all know it. Right, Kootch?”‎

Kootch began nodding enthusiastically. “She’s right, Don. It’s a friggin’ masterpiece. ‎You’ve got a sure-fire hit with ‘Johnny Can’t Read.’” Don smiled; Maren had sung backup ‎vocals on that one, and all three of them had been happy with the meaningful lyrics. “You’ve ‎got a great ballad,” Kootch continued, alluding to what would become the album’s title track, “I ‎Can’t Stand Still.” And if I can be immodest for a moment, ‘You Better Hang Up’ is a hell of a ‎song. I still can’t believe we got—”‎

‎“Okay, Kootch, I get it,” Don interrupted, still trying to clean up the mess. “Still, I can’t ‎shake this feeling that there’s one more great song stuck up here.” He pointed to his head, and ‎then looked down at the mess. “But I think any chance of that just poured out into the carpet.”‎[6]

‎“Hey, that’s not entirely true. There’s still plenty over here on the hardwood. And, uh, I ‎could probably wring out these towels….”‎

Don grimaced. Humor was not Kootch’s strong suit. “I need to get to bed,” he added, ‎looking over at Maren for approval.‎

‎“Sure. I’ll clean up the rest of this.” And with that, Kootch carried the remnants of what ‎would have been the song “Dirty Laundry” along with a pile of soaking wet napkins off to the ‎nearest trash can, and Don Henley went off to bed -- uncharacteristically early, for him -- with his lovely girlfriend.‎[7]

June 20, 1982

Ring… ring. Don Henley rolled over and eyed his alarm clock, blearily. Eight a.m. Why ‎on earth had he set his alarm for eight a.m.? He reached over to shut the clock off, but the ‎ringing persisted. Oh, right. The phone. Still: who would be calling him at eight in the ‎morning?‎

‎“Don? Don, is that you?”‎

‎“Yeah, who’s this?”‎

‎“It’s Kevin, with Asylum Records.” Kevin Gardner was a former assistant to the ‎assistant to the assistant to David Geffen’s intern (or some such), back when Geffen was at ‎Asylum and the Eagles were still releasing records. Don Henley couldn’t recall if he’d ever ‎spoken to him before. Don was somewhat surprised Joe Smith hadn’t been the one to make the ‎call.‎

Under Smith’s guidance, Asylum had released the solo project –- now titled I Can’t Stand ‎Still –- the previous week.[8] Don was cautiously optimistic, although concerned that the album’s ‎lead single didn’t seem to be slotting into heavy rotation on the local Los Angeles rock stations.‎

‎“So,” Don voiced over nervous laughter, “I guess you’re calling with good news?”‎

There was a moment’s silence as the Asylum Records rep pondered his options. ‎‎“No, Don,” Kevin said, with considerably more than a trace of malice in his voice, “I’m not ‎calling with good news. I’m calling to tell you that I Can’t Stand Still sold seventy-eight ‎thousand copies. We’re not even going to recoup our marketing costs.”‎[9]

Don was stunned. Seventy-eight thousand was bad. Really bad. Worse than any album ‎he’d ever released. “Well, what about the single?” Henley asked, trying to salvage something ‎from this disaster. Asylum had cut alternate versions of “Johnny Can’t Read” in Spanish, ‎French, and Italian; everybody expected it to be a massive hit.‎

‎“The single? The single? Don, I’ve bribed every deejay in California, and there’s not ‎enough money in the world to make them play ‘Johnny Can’t Read.’ Worse, your old hometown ‎paper called it…” There was a brief, perhaps theatrical, shuffle of paper on the other end of the ‎phone. “… ‘overblown, pompous tripe.’ Those are your people, Don. And if they hate the song, ‎then you tell me who’s supposed to play it?"[10]

Don swallowed. It wasn’t quite his old home town, but that review in the Tyler Morning ‎Telegraph had hurt. They had taken the first lines from “Johnny Can’t Read” – “Football, ‎baseball, basketball games/Drinkin’ beer, kickin’ ass, and takin’ down names” – totally out of ‎context. He wasn’t attacking sports; he was attacking the whole its-good-to-be-stupid anti-‎intellectualism mindset that reigned at too many schools. His mother was a teacher, after all! ‎He’d written it to honor her.‎

The Asylum rep interrupted Henley’s wistful thoughts. “And why, exactly, did you put a six minute slide whistle solo on the album? What were you thinking?"[11]

‎“Uilleann pipes,” Henley said, softly. “They’re Uilleann pipes. And Paddy Moloney is a ‎musical genius.” In fact, it had taken months of negotiations to get Moloney to play selection for the album. Henley had thought it was exactly what the album needed to bring ‎everything together; a sorrowful, moving bit of artistry that was sure to endear him to the Rolling ‎Stone reviewers that were always looking down their noses at the Eagles.‎

‎“Well, it sounds like a cat screwing an accordion, and you can damn well bet Asylum ‎Records isn’t going to sign Mister Paddy O’Malley any time soon. You’re a prima donna, ‎Henley,” he sneered. “You were a prima donna back with the Eagles, but at least the Eagles sold ‎ten million records. Now you’re a prima donna stuck in the 1970s who can’t even sell a hundred ‎thousand records. So we’re done.”‎

‎“Done?”‎

‎“Yeah, done. As in ‘cancelling your contract.’ As of now, you and your Uilleann pipes ‎are headed for the discount bin at Tower Records. Your advance check is in the mail, but I ‎wouldn’t stay up late at night waiting to hear about royalties.” Kevin laughed cruelly, and then ‎hung up.‎

Don hung up the receiver and buried his head in his hands. The only thing he’d ever ‎wanted to do with his life was to play music. Now what would he do?‎

------------------------------

[1] This is as per OTL. Today, Don Henley is well-known as a major Democratic Party contributor and environmental activist, but even during his days with the Eagles he was a compulsive letter-writer to newspapers.

[2] Those lines (if used) wouldn't be anywhere near the most awkwardly didactic lyrics in a Henley song. Sometimes Henley found a way to almost make this sort of stuff work (as in "A Month of Sundays", buoyed by Henley's moving vocals); other times (as with "Johnny Can't Read"), it just doesn't work at all.

[3] All as per OTL.

[4] Tell me you haven't pulled the 'invisible table' trick at least once in your life....

[5] All of this is IOTL, too.

[6] Despite being a perfectionist, Henley isn't going to be hard to convince on this score; at this point, it looked like anything related to the Eagles (which is, in Henley's mind, anything featuring himself) is going a sure-fire hit regardless of quality.

Consider: the Eagles' Greatest Hits Vol. I (1971-1975) is the best-selling album of all time, and that's only the band's pre-Hotel California songs. (Vol. II wouldn't be released until 1982). At this time, Henley is just over a year removed from literally "mailing in" his performance on the Eagles Live album -- Federal Express actually got a shout out engraved on the album itself! -- and the album went multiplatinum and spawned a rather unlikely Top 40 hit ("Seven Bridges Road") anyway.

So yeah: Henley pretty much had the Midas touch going for him for a while.

[7] And there's your POD: "Dirty Laundry" is never written.

[8] Two months earlier than IOTL; since "Dirty Laundry" was the last song to be written, ITTL, the album ships earlier.

[9] IOTL, I Can't Stand Still (eventually) went gold. ITTL, without the only successful single on it, it's a total bomb.

[10] The review is genuine. IOTL, "Johnny Can't Read" was almost a modest hit as a single -- but (in my view) only because stations had "Dirty Laundry" already in the pipeline. Here, it's a flop, and Henley's "Midas Touch" is gone.

[11] IOTL, "La Eile" is just 52 seconds long. It's still pretty bizarre. Here, without "Dirty Laundry"'s five-and-a-half minutes, the instrumental is expanded to pad out the rest of the album.

-----------------------------------------

Thoughts?

Chapter List
Billboard #1 songs (January 1983–May 1986), by @The Walkman

tk:
-@The Walkman full posts about the Billboard top songs
-Title and date clean-up, this was a rushed project lol

If you love the linked chapters there’s a ton of additional information to be gleaned by reading the full thread, or at least all of Andrew T’s replies (use the “Who Replied” feature).

This was obviously not my original post (you can see it quoted below), but I’m taking full advantage of being the second post in the thread :)

Last edited:
It was shaping up to be one of those nights.
Don't you mean One of These Nights? :p

Andrew T said:
Consider: the Eagles' Greatest Hits Vol. I (1971-1975) is the best-selling album of all time
Second-best. Worldwide, it's way behind Thriller. It was narrowly ahead in the US, but after Michael Jackson died it closed the gap, and now they're tied at best.

It's always nice to see another author join the club, and I like the narrative-driven perspective, which is a nice contrast to all of our descriptive timelines. Looking forward to seeing where you take this from here.

Governor Donald Hugh Henley?
Maybe. I do think it's probably a safe bet (especially given her prominent appearance here - law of conservation of detail and all that) that Don and Maren will remain together (they split in 1986 IOTL, allowing Donna Rice to serve as his date the following year, where she met a certain Senator). If Henley goes into politics, that might provide the impetus needed for them to get married and stay together - it's certainly done the trick for other political couples, for better and for worse.

Electric Monk said:
I'm intrigued to see where this goes, but don't know enough about the Eagles to comment on the above part.
Agreed - I'm curious as to whether you'll be "roaming". This timeline seems to have an particularly intimate focus on Henley - will that change in the coming posts? Some authors have a first post that's nothing like their subsequent ones, after all ;)

Last edited:
Governor Donald Hugh Henley?

Is that really any stranger than Congressman Sonny Bono?? :)

Second-best. Worldwide, it's way behind Thriller. It was narrowly ahead in the US, but after Michael Jackson died it closed the gap, and now they're tied at best.

Thriller won't be released for another five months, but (spoiler alert) I don't foresee any real changes to Michael Jackson's early career ITTL.

Brainbin said:
Maybe. I do think it's probably a safe bet (especially given her prominent appearance here - law of conservation of detail and all that) that Don and Maren will remain together (they split in 1986 IOTL, allowing Donna Rice to serve as his date the following year, where she met a certain Senator). If Henley goes into politics, that might provide the impetus needed for them to get married and stay together - it's certainly done the trick for other political couples, for better and for worse.

I'm going to chalk up your prescience here to the truly excellent job of foreshadowing I've done. :)

Brainbin said:
Agreed - I'm curious as to whether you'll be "roaming". This timeline seems to have an particularly intimate focus on Henley - will that change in the coming posts? Some authors have a first post that's nothing like their subsequent ones, after all ;)

Oh, I plan to roam quite a bit. The next post will be about Atari....

Chipperback said:
Kick him when he's up! Kick him when he's down!

Subscribed :)

Thank you very much! And yeah, the lyrics to Dirty Laundry look pretty prescient when you fast-forward to the end of the decade, don't they??

The Oncoming Storm said:
Me too! Looks great so far :)

Again, many thanks. I hope to keep up your interest.

July 27, 1982

"You offered him what?" thundered Steve Ross, CEO of Warner Communications, parent company to Asylum Records[1] and also to what had once been the fastest-growing company in the history of America: Atari, Inc. "A quarter of a million dollars of my money?"

The voice on the other end of the phone quavered a little bit. It belonged to Ray Kassar, CEO of Atari; a guy who took perverse pride in the fact that his employees called him "the Czar." A guy who was used to threatening other people, not being threatened himself.

"Not... a quarter of a million dollars," Kassar replied, sheepishly. "Two hundred thousand," he swallowed. "Plus, uh, expenses."

"Expenses? Expenses?" Ross was screaming now. "You expect me to sign off on a trip to Hawaii as an expense? For some grease-stained key-punching programmer--" Ross spit the word out with obvious disdain. "--who spends his life writing video games for a child's toy? Are you insane?"

"No, no, no, no," Kassar stammered, "you don't understand. This is my best guy, uh, Warshaw. He's the guy who did our version of Raiders of the Lost Ark." Kassar was acutely aware that programmers had been streaming out of Atari over the past few years, with several of his best people going to that upstart, Activision. Howard Scott Warshaw was clearly the top talent remaining in Atari's stable; in addition to the well-received Raiders he'd also programmed Yar's Revenge, widely regarded as the best Atari 2600 game ever.[2] "Spielberg asked for him specifically."[3]

"Steven Spielberg doesn't care which one of your..." Ross paused theatrically, before continuing, "...what did you call them, 'high-strung prima donnas?' 'Overpaid assembly line workers?' Anyway, whatever. Spielberg doesn't care which monkey peels the banana."

"Warshaw isn't going to do it if I take away the two hundred grand," Kassar replied. "I've been working the guy around the clock on two consecutive games, and there's no way he's going to meet our timetable unless he's got major incentives."

"So find someone else to do it, Ray. And don't offer more than fifty grand." Ross hung up the phone.

As Kassar suspected, Howard Scott Warshaw was incensed when he found out that Atari was backing out of its deal -- so incensed that he quit on the spot. Several weeks later, he would be hired by Activision and would produce the smash hit Saboteur for the 2600 in 1983.[4] With Warshaw gone, Kassar turned to his next-best remaining programmer, Carla Meninsky, and offered her $50,000 -- plus $2 in royalties for every cartridge sold.[5] Meninsky, in turn, recruited a team of programmers and cut each of them in on a fraction of her residuals.

Two days later, Kassar and Meninsky met with Steven Spielberg in San Jose to discuss Spielberg's vision for Atari's video game version of E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial. "I was kind of thinking something like Pac-Man," Spielberg said. "You know, a maze, and Elliot has to navigate through it, and," here he trailed off a bit and waved his hands. "You know, that sort of stuff."[6]

"Of course I do, Mr. Spielberg," replied Meninsky.

Five weeks later, Meninsky and her team unveiled their version of E.T. The basic idea was simple: the player would maneuver E.T. through a series of randomly-drawn mazes, eating Reese’s Pieces and avoiding the government agents. If you got enough points, you could push the little red button on the joystick and one of the teenagers (Michael, Greg, Steve, or Tyler) would appear on the screen and briefly distract the agents away from E.T. for a few critical seconds. The goal was to navigate E.T. to his little spaceship before Elliott’s timer reached zero. The crude music playing in the background would slowly escalate in tempo, playing faster and faster as time wound down. If the player didn't complete the level in time, the game would emit an awful, terrible razz that often caused players to drop the joystick as if it were a hot potato.[7]

E.T. would, of course, become the best-selling Atari 2600 title of 1982, and eventually, all time.

--------------------------------

[1] So here's the first direct butterfly: with I Can't Stand Still a flop, Warner scrutinizes its subsidiaries' expenses a bit more carefully, derailing a deal in place at Atari.

[2] Activision's Pitfall -- the 'killer app' for the Atari 2600 -- wouldn't be released for another two months at this point.

[3] IOTL, too!

[4] IOTL, Warshaw wrote Saboteur for Atari. Days before released, Atari decided to retool the game into The A-Team (?) for some unknown reason, and then (wisely) decided to shelve it as making no sense as a game based on the popular TV show. ITTL, Warshaw's rather innovative game becomes yet another hit for Activision. Of course, IOTL, it was Warshaw's creativity that turned E.T. into the worst video game debacle of all time.

[5] As per IOTL. Seriously! IOTL, Warshaw -- who had a few extra days to come up with his own design -- simply ignored Spielberg's ideas and went ahead with his own. Here, Meninsky hasn't had the time to come up with her own plans for E.T., and simply executes Speilberg's instructions. It's worth pointing out that Meninsky did an incredibly competent job on the 2600 port of Star Raiders given the hardware limitations; she's really an excellent technician.

[6] This isn't unprecedented; Atari paid Tod Frye royalties of $1 per cartridge for his port of Pac-Man for the 2600; despite the fact that the game was a disaster, it was (IOTL) the largest selling 2600 game of all time (at 7 million cartridges). Here, the $2 royalties are going to cause Kassar and Atari to be conservative in the number of E.T. cartridges they produce.

[7] In other words: a really, really good ripoff of Pac-Man, which everyone at Atari knew was a failure by this point. By fixing the flicker problem and adding the tension-building elements -- think Tetris -- Meninsky's direct implementation of Spielberg's idea turns into a runaway hit.

-----------------------

So there you have it: although the POD in this timeline comes too late to really save Atari (or, as Kalvan so brilliantly executed, to create an Atariwank of epic proportions, I think we can at least butterfly away the worst video game ever.

Here, the irony is that turning the game over to a less creative, more nuts-and-bolts programmer and playing it safer winds up creating a mainstream blockbuster. Howard Scott Warshaw had a home run swing; usually, he cleared the fences (Yar's Revenge, Indy, and Saboteur), but when he whiffed, he whiffed big (E.T.). And in the process, perhaps autocratic CEO Ray Kassar actually learned something about the value of his programming staff....

Atari! I can't say I expected that to be the focus of the second update, in a timeline starring Don Henley!

So here's the first direct butterfly: with I Can't Stand Still a flop, Warner scrutinizes its subsidiaries' expenses a bit more carefully, derailing a deal in place at Atari.
The classic POD with a completely unexpected but entirely logical butterfly - I like the cut of your jib, sir ;)

Andrew T said:
By fixing the flicker problem and adding the tension-building elements -- think Tetris -- Meninsky's direct implementation of Spielberg's idea turns into a runaway hit.
I like your description of E.T. Simple, which all 2600 games are by necessity, but at the same time delightfully addictive, just like both Pac-Man and Tetris. You say "runaway hit" - could we wind up seeing, irony of ironies, cartridge shortages ITTL?

Also, needless to say, Meninsky is going to become very well-off at the end of all this. The urge to create her own software developer may well prove irresistible. (She won't be the first woman to do so, of course - that would be Roberta Williams of Sierra On-Line.)

Andrew T said:
E.T. would, of course, become the best-selling Atari 2600 title of 1982, and eventually, all time.
And it also frees up an awful lot of room for a certain landfill in New Mexico.

Andrew T said:
So there you have it: although the POD in this timeline comes too late to really save Atari (or, as Kalvan so brilliantly executed, to create an Atariwank of epic proportions, I think we can at least butterfly away the worst video game ever.
Really, it depends on your definition of "save Atari" - it remained a major player into the third generation, and could have been in the fourth, as well, if they weren't determined to one-up their past failures. I agree that it probably won't maintain the hegemony of its heyday, but it might prove a rather prickly thorn in Nintendo's side in the years to come. And assuming that the crash has been reduced to a mere decline, some of the other consoles of the era may survive (ColecoVision and IntelliVision both jump immediately to mind - the latter console is backed by Mattel, of all companies). There are ample possibilities here - a video game industry in which the American sector remains a major player will have massive butterflies all around!

Andrew T said:
Here, the irony is that turning the game over to a less creative, more nuts-and-bolts programmer and playing it safer winds up creating a mainstream blockbuster.
A really nice touch, which runs so contrary to the laws of fiction, but is absolutely true to life.

Looking forward to more, whatever it may be. Yours may be the most eclectic pop culture timeline I've seen so far!

So there you have it: although the POD in this timeline comes too late to really save Atari

Great update. If Atari is a more expensive company to sell (or if they don't split from Atari Inc. into Atari Corporation & Atari Games) than the buyer is certainly not Jack Tramiel & Namco.

So at least there will be major butterflies from that. Alas the videogame crash can't be avoided since Commodore is certainly doing the same ITTL as IOTL in terms of crashing the price (because Tramiel turned from genius to idiot at some point) but it might be a softer landing without ET :).

Also, needless to say, Meninsky is going to become very well-off at the end of all this. The urge to create her own software developer may well prove irresistible. (She won't be the first woman to do so, of course - that would be Roberta Williams of Sierra On-Line.)

Maybe. But remember that in order to meet her (crippling) deadline, Meninsky has shared a significant share of her royalties with her design team. Of course, that may change the way business gets done at Atari....

Brainbin said:
And assuming that the crash has been reduced to a mere decline, some of the other consoles of the era may survive (ColecoVision and IntelliVision both jump immediately to mind - the latter console is backed by Mattel, of all companies). There are ample possibilities here - a video game industry in which the American sector remains a major player will have massive butterflies all around!

That's exactly what I was thinking; without the E.T. fiasco, there's no Great Videogame Crash of 1983 (warning: TVTropes link!); instead, there's a "course correction" where the major game manufacturers try to do something about the flood of incredibly low-quality third party games. Given that Atari is talking to Nintendo of Japan around this time, who knows what might happen....

Brainbin said:
Looking forward to more, whatever it may be. Yours may be the most eclectic pop culture timeline I've seen so far!

That sincerely means a lot to me, given how awesome "That Wacky Redhead" is. Thanks!

Electric Monk said:
Great update. If Atari is a more expensive company to sell (or if they don't split from Atari Inc. into Atari Corporation & Atari Games) than the buyer is certainly not Jack Tramiel & Namco.

Correct. I have plans for Mr. Tramiel, though.

Electric Monk said:
So at least there will be major butterflies from that. Alas the videogame crash can't be avoided since Commodore is certainly doing the same ITTL as IOTL in terms of crashing the price (because Tramiel turned from genius to idiot at some point) but it might be a softer landing without ET :)

Well, the Commodore 64 is about a month away from hitting the streets (at $595) and basically steamrolling over the entire 8-bit home computer industry. But I'm not as certain as (say) Wikipedia that the C-64 killed off low-end videogame consoles like the Atari 2600.

I also think that it's possible that a less-stupid Atari 1200XL -- created after the FCC regulations dropped the draconian requirement that home computers eliminate virtually all RF emissions; I discuss that in Kalvan's thread here -- might be viable as a slight loss leader as the C-64's price will drop to $200 by Christmas, 1983. Thoughts?

In the long run, of course, the 6502 platform will be a long-term loser for any company other than Commodore; of course, Atari may have some other designs up their sleeve....

Correct. I have plans for Mr. Tramiel, though.

Does it end with him dying in a fire? I respect him an incredible amount for his early work but once he decided to keep reducing the C64 price when he truly didn't need to… well, history shows he was wrong. There's probably a good timeline to be done about Tramiel, actually.

Well, the Commodore 64 is about a month away from hitting the streets (at $595) and basically steamrolling over the entire 8-bit home computer industry. But I'm not as certain as (say) Wikipedia that the C-64 killed off low-end videogame consoles like the Atari 2600.

Wiki overstates it because they like (in our terms) single PODs but the Atari 2600's third party games (& ET in particular) helped crash it as well despite what you've done. Nevertheless the C64 owned the gaming market in an incredible amount of segments (particularly in Europe) so the month or so lead-time *Atari has really isn't enough to change things drastically. It's possible you can avoid the Crash in full but it's still happening in some form because the market needs to shake-out at that point.

I also think that it's possible that a less-stupid Atari 1200XL -- created after the FCC regulations dropped the draconian requirement that home computers eliminate virtually all RF emissions; I discuss that in Kalvan's thread

You can butterfly it into a better price point (pretty easily actually), but remember in this time period Commodore had by far the better marketing arm. Atari had coasted on the 2600 for a long time and that left them vulnerable. Not to mention that they were starved of resources IOTL and even if ET was a success Warner still wouldn't like them. (They never liked them IOTL good times or bad, so that won't change until a sale.)

In the long run, of course, the 6502 platform will be a long-term loser for any company other than Commodore; of course, Atari may have some other designs up their sleeve....

Considering that Commodore owns MOS Technology than yes, of course the 6502 platform is doomed for most companies.

I am, naturally, intrigued by what Atari might pull out of their hat.

Last edited:
You can butterfly it into a better price point (pretty easily actually), but remember in this time period Commodore had by far the better marketing arm. Atari had coasted on the 2600 for a long time and that left them vulnerable. Not to mention that they were starved of resources IOTL and even if ET was a success Warner still wouldn't like them. (They never liked them IOTL good times or bad, so that won't change until a sale.)

A really good point. ITTL, Atari's 1982 successes mean that Warner Communications isn't looking to dump Atari at all costs in the summer of 1984. Without Tramiel's chaotic interference, Atari's crucial 1984 negotiations (with Ninentdo and Amiga) proceed somewhat differently than IOTL.

And, of course, neither the NES nor the Amiga chipset rely upon MOS chips....

October 3, 1982

Ask most guys my age to name their favorite Oriole, and most of them will say Cal Ripken. A few will go with Eddie Murray. Usually, those of us who pitched in Little League will say Jim Palmer, although we don't really mean it. Palmer's fastball? That was a thing of beauty. Palmer, the sulking egomaniac with the stupid underwear ads? No thanks.

Ask me or my buddy Mike, though, and we'll tell you John Shelby. Yes, the career .241 hitter.[1] The guy they called "T-Bone." The centerfielder. That guy.

You have to understand where the Orioles were that year: five games out, with five games (in four days!) to play.[2] That's almost mathematically eliminated. That's a "Tragic Number" of one -- one Baltimore loss or one Milwaukee win in any of the next five games, and the Brewers would win the American League East and go on to the playoffs while the Orioles would go home.[3]

That Thursday, the Orioles won in Detroit while the Brewers lost to the Red Sox. My Dad and I sat on the porch, listening to Chuck Thompson call the game as September call-up Mike Boddicker threw four innings of shutout ball to bail out Mike Flanagan. Bottom of the ninth, Boddicker threw a changeup to strike out Howard Johnson to end the game, and Thompson shouted "Go to war, Miss Agnes!"[4] It didn't make any sense -- it never made any sense! -- but somehow, it was fitting.

Four back, with four to play -- all of them at home, versus the Brewers. The Orioles didn't just have to win all four games; they had to sweep the Brewers and then travel to Milwaukee and win a one-game playoff in order to win the division. I was 17, which is the age where you just start to think that maybe that could happen.[5]

And then the Orioles destroyed the Brewers on Friday, 10-1 before a sellout crowd. They swept both ends of a doubleheader the next day, 6-3 and 8-2. One game back, with one game left to play. By then, of course, everyone else was on the bandwagon with me.

Mike and I decided that we were going to that game. Back then, the Orioles didn't sell out nearly as many games as they do now; Memorial Stadium seated over 50,000 people (unlike Babe Ruth Park[6]). They'd sell out Opening Day, which was practically a state holiday, and the playoffs, and that was about it.

Oh, and those three dates against Milwaukee.

And, uh, I was sort of grounded. I'd maybe gotten into a tiny little fender-bender last week and possibly dented old Mrs. Daisy's Cadillac, and, uh, was absolutely positively Not Allowed to borrow the car for the indefinite future.

Still: those are minor obstacles when you're 17. I grabbed my buddy Mike, we biked over to Rolling Road, and hopped on the #15 bus to downtown. Almost an hour later, we got off; you could smell the cinnamon in the air from the McCormick factory. We waited another half an hour for the #9 bus, and then took it -- slowly, painfully, stopping what seemed like every block -- all the way up Charles Street to 33rd. To Memorial Stadium.

Most of us kids knew about the back entrance to the park. There was a spot, right on the corner of St. Paul and 33rd, where the soil under the twelve-foot high chain-link fence had eroded away, leaving a tiny gap between the bottom of the fence and the ground. If you were skinny enough, you could wrap your jacket around the exposed spikes on the bottom of the fence, lay flat on your back, and inch backwards, you could just clear it without getting scraped by the fence. If the city cops didn't catch you, of course.

Mike and I had never tried it before, but then again, the Orioles had never been down to the wire like this before. So I stood lookout for the cops while Mike squirmed underneath the fence -- he was bigger than I was -- and then once he was inside I followed. We were pretty muddy by then, but hey, we made it.

Or so we thought. As we walked around the corner, we ran into a crowd of a few hundred people. Apparently, the fence backed up behind the bullpen (which itself backed up behind the outfield wall), and the bullpen that day was reserved for a corporate lunch for -- we squinted at the sign -- Equitable Bank. I was ready to bolt, but Mike grabbed me by the shoulder and whispered, "Relax." He had this huge grin on his face that I still remember to this day. "We'll just pretend to be bank employees. Um, tellers. You and I work at the Catonsville branch. Just remember that." And with that, we sauntered over to the food station, helped ourselves to some free hot dogs, and then stood in line for a free beer or two.

A couple of beers later, I nudged Mike. Two big, uniformed Baltimore City police officers were headed towards us with deliberate intent. "I think they're on to us," I whispered, urgently. We started backing up, looking for an exit, but the back of the pen was blocked by the autograph table currently manned by several Baltimore Orioles. We were trapped.

And then the miracle occurred. Right as the cops closed in on us, Shelby got up from behind the autograph table, put his arms around us, and said, "It's okay, officer. These boys are with me." The cops left -- somewhat reluctantly -- and we got T-Bone's autograph, some personalized postcards, and all sorts of great swag. Thinking back on it, he was only a few years older than us, at the time, maybe 23 or 24, so maybe he remembered what it was like to be in our shoes. Whatever the reason, we got away with it, and we met a great guy.

Oh, and there was a game that day, too.

After the bullpen party ended, Mike and I went out to the leftfield bleachers and sat at the very end of the bench in the front row. (The bullpen seats were general admission back then; first come, first serve.) The Orioles were starting their ace, Jim Palmer. The Brewers countered with Don Sutton, whom they had acquired for the stretch run; he was 3-1 for them since coming over from the Astros, even though he looked to be about a hundred years old.

Right away, it was obvious that Palmer didn't have his best stuff that game. Paul Molitor led off with a walk, and then Robin Yount absolutely crushed a ball to straightaway center field. On a dead run, Shelby braced himself with his right hand against the centerfield wall, just over the '405' sign, and leaped into the air, grabbing the ball and taking a no-doubt-about-it home run away from Yount. He threw the ball back into the infield, and Molitor had to head back to first. The next batter, Cecil Cooper, hit a rocket right at Eddie Murray at first; Murray caught the ball and stepped on the bag to complete the double play. We breathed a sigh of relief.

The O's went 1-2-3 in the bottom of the first.

In the top of the second, Palmer's troubles continued. Big Ted Simmons singled to left but was then picked off of first with Ben Oglivie at the plate. Oglivie hit a 1-1 pitch about 500 feet down the right field line, but it curved just foul. He struck out on the next pitch. Gorman Thomas singled up the middle. The designated hitter, Roy Howell, walked. And then Marshall Edwards hit a sharp grounder up the middle that looked like it was headed for centerfield, except that somehow Cal Ripken got to the ball, stopped it, and shoveled the ball out of his glove to Rich Dauer covering second for the force-out. Still nothing-nothing, but it wasn't looking good for the O's, who went three up and three down in their half of the second.

In the third inning, Palmer struck out Jim Gantner and then got Paul Molitor on a fly ball to right, and then Robin Yount came to the plate again. He turned on a Palmer fastball and drove yet another pitch to the deepest part of the park; this time, even our man Shelby couldn't track it down. Home run, 1-0 Brewers. Cooper flew out to left, but the damage was done.

The Orioles went quietly in their half of the third; Shelby came up, batting ninth, and grounded out on the first pitch he saw from Sutton. Nine up and nine down -- Sutton was actually pitching a perfect game at that point.

For his part, Palmer actually settled down and made it through the fourth and fifth innings without allowing another run. Sutton, meanwhile, was cruising, although he would lose his perfect game in the fifth when Cal Ripken doubled with two outs. Catcher Rick Dempsey walked, but then Rich Dauer grounded out to first, and the O's threat was over.

In the top of the sixth inning, Brewers centerfielder Gorman Thomas led off with a single off of Palmer. Howell bunted him over to second, and then Edwards drove a ball towards the gap in right-centerfield.

And there was Shelby, sprinting all the way from center. He dove, stretched out his arm, and -- while completely horizontal, two feet above the grass -- somehow came up with the ball. Thomas, of course, had already crossed the plate and had to sprint back to second. Shelby picked himself up and fired a throw to the cut-off man, second baseman Rich Dauer. Dauer spun and threw to Ripken, covering second, in time to double up Thomas. Inning over.

Mike and I screamed ourselves hoarse. With the crowd still buzzing from that play, who should lead off the bottom of the sixth but our man Shelby? Surely, we thought, Shelby was going to go deep here and tie the game. It was too perfect.

Shelby stood in against Sutton and took ball one, high. The next pitch was a fastball right down the middle; Shelby fouled it off for a 1-1 count. Then, Sutton missed on a curveball. The next pitch was another curve, this one in the dirt. 3-1 count. Everyone in the stadium knew what was coming next: another fastball. And sure enough, Shelby turned on it and drove the pitch hard down the right-field line, but foul. Sutton threw another fastball, and Shelby fouled it straight back and out of play. T-Bone would foul off six more pitches before hitting a long, flyball out to left field.

Life rarely gives you a storybook ending. But Mike and I insist to this day that it was Shelby's eleven-pitch at-bat -- "Making him work," Mike said to me, still smiling -- that paved the way for what happened next. After Al Bumbry struck out on three pitches, slap-hitting third baseman Glenn Gulliver worked a two-out walk. The next batter, Kenny Singleton, doubled down the left-field line. One pitch later, and Eddie Murray went deep for a three-run homer.

With the season on the line, the Brewers went to their closer, Rollie Fingers, but the floodgates had been opened. John Lowenstein doubled. Ripken homered. Dempsey walked. Dauer walked, chasing Fingers, and Brewers Manager Harvey Kuenn brought in lefty Jamie Easterly to face Shelby. Earl Weaver, of course, promptly pinch-hit the right-handed Gary Roenicke, sending Shelby to the showers.[7] I think Mike and I were the only two people in the park booing. Roenicke hit a two-run double, making Earl look like a genius. Mike and I sat on our hands in protest.

You know the rest of the story: the O's won that game, 11-2, and then they won the next day in Milwaukee. That 1982 Brewers team -- "Harvey's Chokers" -- is still remembered today as a team that couldn't make the playoffs even though they hit a then AL-record 217 home runs.[8]

Meanwhile, my Orioles beat the California Angels in the ALCS, three games to one. And then they swept the St. Louis Cardinals to win the World Series.[9] Jim Palmer won the Cy Young.[10] Eddie Murray won the AL MVP.[11] Cal Ripken was the Rookie of the Year.[12] And, of course, everyone remembers those powerhouse Orioles teams of the early 1980s.[13]

Today, nobody really remembers game 162; for most fans, the excitement came the next day as the Orioles squeaked by the Brewers 4-3 when Al Bumbry stole home in the bottom of the tenth. But to me and Mike, none of that would have been possible without the John Shelby game.

----------------------

[1] Shelby was a .239 hitter IOTL; here, he plays a bit more in 1983, which helps nose his career numbers up just a tiny bit. He's still essentially the same guy, though.

[2] IOTL, the Orioles were four back of the Brewers with five games left to play; they won four in a row to tie, and then lost on the last day of the season.

[3] Yes, in 1982, the Milwaukee Brewers were in the American League East. Today, they play in the National League's Central Division.

[4] No, seriously, he used to say that.

[5] The narrator is almost a decade older than I.

[6] IOTL, Oriole Park at Camden Yards.

[7] This is exactly the kind of move Earl Weaver -- perhaps the most unsympathetic manager of the modern era -- would do, bringing in the powerful right-handed bat to try and deliver a knockout punch to an opponent on the ropes, sentiment be damned.

[8] IOTL, the Brewers averted the "historic collapse" label by winning game 162; that '82 team is affectionately remembered as "Harvey's Wallbangers" and represents the last time the Brewers made it to the World Series.

[9] IOTL, the Brewers beat the Angels in five games before losing the World Series in seven games to the St. Louis Cardinals.

[10] IOTL, Palmer got rocked in game 162 and finished second in the Cy Young balloting to Milwaukee's Pete Vukovich (18-6). Here, Palmer finishes the season 16-4 instead of 15-5 as the Brewers complete a historic collapse; that's enough to swing the balloting Palmer's way.

[11] Same deal; Murray finished second to the Brewers' Robin Yount. Although Yount clearly deserves the MVP -- he was as good a hitter as Murray while playing Gold Glove defense at shortstop -- the voters aren't going to reward a team that just went through an epic collapse, and Murray's numbers ITTL (.320, 33 HR, 115 RBI) are good enough to bump him up to first.

[12] As IOTL.

[13] IOTL, Earl Weaver retired at the end of the 1982 season. The Orioles won the World Series in 1983 (with essentially the same team as in '82), but failed to adjust as their roster got older, and went downhill quickly, culminating in the 1988 season, in which the team lost 107 games and set a record for futility by beginning the season 0-21.

Thanks for the kind words -- feel free to poke around and offer suggestions!

I think "The Boys of Summer" is one of the most iconic songs of the 1980s, and I hope there's some way to save it ITTL. :)

Cross-posted. Maybe Henley, without direction for at least a couple years, writes a couple songs to pay the rent... and maybe someone like Bruce Springsteen picks it up?

Ummm About Atari.

I'm always confuse how their fall happen, both ET & Pacman were the recipe for disaster and with their 'Business Policies'(if Treating a company who need good care as the inversor personal piggy bank can be called policies) those were the ammo needed for the rival Commodore and other cheap computers... Until Nintendo and their Viral Marketing and the MOST important thing made for videogames, 'Quality Control'(their Seal of Approval) was vita road again for the market, heck even the Commodore keep the videogame weak but active...

Umm a direct butterfly here would be than Nintendo will not need such 'trojan horse' as OTL(R.O.B was one, mostly made for the American Market, then the redesing of the Famicom to the NES), Because even if both were good hardware piece... The Famicom was thousand times better, if they have an Stardard Desing.. that will help?

And a Open Question for my Friend of the North... With so much love for Atari? Even some American Historicician speak with hate about that company(with reason, not were Warner or other companies, was Atari Thenselves who go to ruin), some little tought for Illustrated a latino partner?

Last edited:
Baseball! Wow, it's one surprise after another. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be too surprised: the one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. And good on the Orioles, a fine team all around. Though I am rather curious as to why you chose to take them to the World Series and have them win - was the motivation really as innocent as seeing a linchpin game and deciding to flip the result? Or were there more personal motivations? Say, for example, the urge to root, root, root for the home team? ;)

I honestly have no idea where you're going to go next with this timeline, but I'm looking forward to finding out!

Ummm About Atari.

I'm always confuse how their fall happen, both ET & Pacman were the recipe for disaster and with their 'Business Policies'(if Treating a company who need good care as the inversor personal piggy bank can be called policies)

Actually, although "using corporate funds as your personal funds" is a problem that plagues a lot of companies, it actually wasn't an issue for Atari. The only thing that really comes close is that CEO Ray Kassar was indicted for insider trading when he dumped -- but did not short -- his Warner Communications stock on December 7, 1982, the day before Warner issued a disappointing earnings report concerning Atari; Kassar pled no contest and returned the money. (This incident is butterflied away ITTL, obviously.)

No: the real problem was that Atari was essentially the source for most of the hardware and software geniuses of the early 1980s, and Warner treated those people like fungible crap. (If I wanted to do a (non-ASB) Atariwank timeline, I'd pick one of these two PODs and make sure guys like Jay Miner and the Activision crew stayed on at Atari.) A second problem was a near-total lack of direction in which Atari couldn't figure out if it wanted to be a personal computer company, a home computer company, a game company, or what. A third was the bizarre strategy to essentially stop marketing its products, which could have helped consumers differentiate between "real Atari products" and seventh-rate knockoffs.

Nivek said:
those were the ammo needed for the rival Commodore and other cheap computers...

As I've said elsewhere, I think much of the real issue has to do with the unfortunate quirk of timing regarding RF shielding. The Atari 800 and the C-64 are very similar machines, except that the C-64 was a one-board computer with chips designed by a Commodore subsidiary in a plastic case, while the Atari 800 was a multi-board computer with chips designed by a Commodore subsidiary in a heavy metal case.

The 800 simply could not compete, price-wise, with the C-64. The 1200XL might have, but it was mostly an inferior machine to the 800.

Nivek said:
Until Nintendo and their Viral Marketing and the MOST important thing made for videogames, 'Quality Control'(their Seal of Approval) was vita road again for the market, heck even the Commodore keep the videogame weak but active...

I think the problem here is analogous; Activision was a third-party, but Activision games were better than most of the licensed games Atari was putting out for the 2600 at the time, so you couldn't just "buy Atari." The problem was Sturgeon's Law; 90+% of the third party stuff was crap.

Nivek said:
Umm a direct butterfly here would be than Nintendo will not need such 'trojan horse' as OTL(R.O.B was one, mostly made for the American Market, then the redesing of the Famicom to the NES), Because even if both were good hardware piece... The Famicom was thousand times better, if they have an Stardard Desing.. that will help?

Remember that Nintendo and Atari had a deal to distribute the Famicom in 1984; that fell apart because of Jack Tramiel.

Baseball! Wow, it's one surprise after another. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be too surprised: the one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. And good on the Orioles, a fine team all around. Though I am rather curious as to why you chose to take them to the World Series and have them win - was the motivation really as innocent as seeing a linchpin game and deciding to flip the result? Or were there more personal motivations? Say, for example, the urge to root, root, root for the home team? ;)

A few things:

1. I grew up an Orioles fan, but the team I root for (the Tampa Bay Rays) probably won't exist ITTL. Having them win the World Series in 1982 almost certainly butterflies away the only O's World Series win in my lifetime (1983, IOTL), so it's not just an Oriolewank. :)

2. One of the things that attracted me to 1982 was that the World Series was really a matchup of the stereotypical "American League" team in the Brewers -- Harvey's Wallbangers, who hit an amazing 216 home runs and scored 891 runs with a rather pedestrian pitching staff and only one stolen base threat (Paul Molitor) -- versus the quintessential "National League" team in the Whiteyball Cardinals, who ran at every spot in the lineup except catcher and right field, had the NL's second-best starter (Joaquin Andujar) and the best defense in the National League.

Get rid of that stereotypical matchup, and maybe you change the view of the AL versus the NL that persisted for two decades. Teams tend to copy successful teams, and the AL rushed to copy the Brewers' success. Now that the '82 Brewers are remembered as chokers rather than pennant winners, maybe, you know, "chicks dig the longball" a little bit less in ITTL? Who knows?

3. Also: Bud Selig owns the Milwaukee Brewers as of 1982. I figure if you're going to unleash a horde of butterflies, why not start at a pretty good nexus?

Actually, although "using corporate funds as your personal funds" is a problem that plagues a lot of companies, it actually wasn't an issue for Atari. The only thing that really comes close is that CEO Ray Kassar was indicted for insider trading when he dumped -- but did not short -- his Warner Communications stock on December 7, 1982, the day before Warner issued a disappointing earnings report concerning Atari; Kassar pled no contest and returned the money. (This incident is butterflied away ITTL, obviously.)

No: the real problem was that Atari was essentially the source for most of the hardware and software geniuses of the early 1980s, and Warner treated those people like fungible crap. (If I wanted to do a (non-ASB) Atariwank timeline, I'd pick one of these two PODs and make sure guys like Jay Miner and the Activision crew stayed on at Atari.) A second problem was a near-total lack of direction in which Atari couldn't figure out if it wanted to be a personal computer company, a home computer company, a game company, or what. A third was the bizarre strategy to essentially stop marketing its products, which could have helped consumers differentiate between "real Atari products" and seventh-rate knockoffs.

As I've said elsewhere, I think much of the real issue has to do with the unfortunate quirk of timing regarding RF shielding. The Atari 800 and the C-64 are very similar machines, except that the C-64 was a one-board computer with chips designed by a Commodore subsidiary in a plastic case, while the Atari 800 was a multi-board computer with chips designed by a Commodore subsidiary in a heavy metal case.

The 800 simply could not compete, price-wise, with the C-64. The 1200XL might have, but it was mostly an inferior machine to the 800.

I think the problem here is analogous; Activision was a third-party, but Activision games were better than most of the licensed games Atari was putting out for the 2600 at the time, so you couldn't just "buy Atari." The problem was Sturgeon's Law; 90+% of the third party stuff was crap.

Remember that Nintendo and Atari had a deal to distribute the Famicom in 1984; that fell apart because of Jack Tramiel.

About that.. Bushell who was a good manager but he own saw of the market(he even think videogames were a fad), Tramiell before mentioned fraud, Kassar and his now knowledge and wanting a partner to milk funds... in fact i can do a degree thesis about that...

Yes i Forgot than in American the Shape of Videogames was different, in Japan with a little more computer tradition was able to separate the product and them make good thing(The Famicom was considered one of the best piece of Hardware enought to last Seven years), those are thing i should think sometime...

About the now legendary Atari-Nintendo deal.. that was about Nintendo worry than they will not sucess in a 'toxic market'(thanks to Atari, Colleco,etc) but reading again the deal.. Atari was playing against his partner in not good marketing(for the 7800? i think) and if Trammiel goes nuts was because he think Nintendo read their plan after seeing what Colleco do... But anyway if the market is not so bad... they will not do the trojan horse action... Even seeing a Stard Famicom/NES in all the regions...

In general again answer? Why so much love with Atari?