so then the natural question is

What interest causes the Allies to fight Austria? or Austria to fight the Allies? in fact Austria is viewed as not only a threat but the"true" threat according to the beginning.

I can'youwait to see the ride you have for us tanner.

I like that idea a lot! A duel with samurai swords. Doubt it would ever happen, but hey, manga and anime will be a thing here. Imagine an anime Hitler and Coudenhove-Kalergi fighting like the samurai of old during a Battle of Berlin equivalent

I was extremely excited to see this update... looking forward to where things are in 1928!

thank you! It looks like I might actually start in 1929, though I’m not too sure. It starts smack dab in the first month of the Depression but that might be too far. What do you think? 1928 or 1929?

He would love a country of Germanics ruling the world, but he realistically knows the best he can do is influence and create a confederation of sorts. And Austria will never be able to annex all of Germany and Sozinat Austria doesn’t want to become second fiddle to an Imperial Germany,

Hmm, he has not yet but how I envision the Austrians will pay for the war (as there will be far, far less looting compared to OTL. Not due to Sozinats being ‘nicer’ but rather the countries they plunder aren’t exactly rolling in cash or extravagant amount of resources.

I would think here that Hitler would keep taxes moderate, with fairly high tariffs for goods made outside a ‘European Economic Trade Consortium’ which favors Austria, Italy and so forth. Hitler and the Sozinats will push for stronger economic ties with their Allies to help bolster their more limited industry, production and trade.

So moderate income taxes, moderate corporate tax, high VAT tax, high tariffs, and the Resident Flight Tax (TTL’s Reich Flight Tax) will start off at 90% and increase to 95% during the war. Jews and Serbians will be allowed to leave early on but have to pay to do so, but once the Holocaust and the war get fully going in the 1940s then leaving will be all but impossible.

Sozinat taxes will be much higher than Nazi Germany’s. The highest income tax in Nazi Germany was 13.7% which sounds crazy to me. So the Sozinats will probably top off at 40% or so. The highest income tax bracket in the U.S. during OTL WW2 was 94%. When the U.S. enters into the war in 194X it’ll probably maintain that, especially to fund the war, it’s military projects and the subsequent Cold War.

And due to butterflies, I’m probably gonna have Ronald Reagan be President in the 1970s as a Democrat with Jimmy Carter as his Vice President. No Reagnomics or ‘voodoo economics’ will be implemented in Der Kampf USA. The Republican Party will cling more to its Rockefeller, Eisenhower, Ford and George Bush Sr. ideologies. So no massive budget deficit or massive national debt. I’m thinking the USA as of 2022 in this story will have a GDP of 25 or 26 trillion and a national debt of around 11 trillion.

The next chapter is being written, slowly as always. I’ve spent much of Christmas break writing my medieval fantasy book and a short story submission to Warhammer 40,000’s Black Library.

Also, should I start the next arc in 1929 with Hitler going to Germany a month after the Stock Market Clash or spend a couple of chapters in 1928/1929 to warm up to the Depression? I think Option 2 has better pacing and more story opportunities but what do y’all think?
Looking forward to the next chapter. Also, tell me about your fantasy novel, I'm starting one myself and could use some pointers on writing the genre

France was not willing to go to war over it.

Collapse of the Stresa Front.

Britain backed down because they believed the Luftwaffe was much stronger than it actually was. There were shots fired, but by then the border fortifications of the Sudetenland were gone and it was hopeless.

Again, not considered worth a war over.

The response was a general rearmament.

There was a response. Neither France nor Britain were ready for war, and contrary to popular belief Germany had a large force positioned on its border with France to delay any Allied incursions so they could be dealt with when Poland was finished.
Fair enough, there are good explanations- but that still doesn't mean it's not sixes being rolled because in every scenario a response was possible if not 'likely' (as in, looking at OTL events as ALT events and discussing if the Allies would have responded at any of those events), and Germany could have been completely done for as early as 1933 in fact (when Poland suggested a preventive war).

4-4.5 years is kind of my go-to in my head for the war. Though if you include the preceding Anglo-Japanese War it’s probably closer to 4.5-5 years. Well if the Soviets are in a worse industrial/manufacturing state than OTL, I feel U.S. Lend-Lease would have a greater impact here if it was carried out.
Alright, that does make sense!

It will certainly help them recover faster in the 1920s but slow development in the 1930s. However, if they maintain a light-industry approach for too long or stay explicitly agrarian they will get rolled by two or more medium-size European powers just on account of not being able to produce or maintain a large amount of equipment (and what they do have will mostly be light equipment, not very advanced or powerful), much less move it to the front without the enormous rail network developed by the Stalinist 5 year plan. They will, however, avoid some of the food issues that plagued the early USSR, but since you explain that a significant amount of the population (I would assume the Baltics, Belarusians, and Ukrainians) is pro-axis and much of the rest is neutral, it can be assumed that more food security doesn't necessarily give the USSR vastly greater public support than OTL.
Hmm, let’s say it continues until 1932ish or so then starts the heavy industrialization but Sverdlov doesn’t go all out and they industrialize slower but with less deaths overall until the Great Purges which I envision as even worse than OTL. As for food security, I’m debating whether the Holodomor would happen here. There still will be collective farms, plus standard Communist mismanagement and hyper focus on industry at the cost of other sectors. But if the Holodomor does happen, that’ll explain why so many Ukrainians and other ethnic groups in the USSR see fascism and the Axis as a preferred substitute.
so then the natural question is

What interest causes the Allies to fight Austria? or Austria to fight the Allies? in fact Austria is viewed as not only a threat but the"true" threat according to the beginning.

I can'youwait to see the ride you have for us tanner.
The true threat comment was from de Gaulle during the war. He meant that it started with the Austrian State. Austria creating wars in Europe is not something the French and British (later the Americans) are wanting to happen.
Looking forward to the next chapter. Also, tell me about your fantasy novel, I'm starting one myself and could use some pointers on writing the genre
Thank you.
The fantasy novel is set in a world in the midst of their equivalent to the Middle Ages. The main story is about a boy who goes from a simple lifestyle to becoming King of his country and fighting invaders. His homeland is essentially the Greenland of this world, so there’s a lot of emphasis on its remoteness and lack of resources. The main character essentially becomes the Ragnar Lothbrok of these Inuit/Viking-like people.

There is magic in the world, and some fantastical animals and creatures, but no elves or dwarves or anything like that.

Great Purges which I envision as even worse than OTL.
Any reason why Sverdlov is going to conduct those purges? With Stalin, it was a combination of losing grip of the communist party and several high ranking officials losing faith in him due to the famine/Holodomor culminating with the assassination of a popular soviet official which Stalin use as a pretext to remove rivals and purge those who threaten his control and power.

Any reason why Sverdlov is going to conduct those purges? With Stalin, it was a combination of losing grip of the communist party and several high ranking officials losing faith in him due to the famine/Holodomor culminating with the assassination of a popular soviet official which Stalin use as a pretext to remove rivals and purge those who threaten his control and power.
I will say the first one is because of Trotsky, the second one is paranoia and wanting to cement power and chance the Heptarchy to a true absolute dictator. Having the Holodomor still happen can help with many questioning Sverdlov and causing mistrust of Communism in Ukraine. I’m honestly envisioning the two purges combined are worse than OTL. I even considered Zhukov d being killed but I’m so-so on that.

I will say the first one is because of Trotsky, the second one is paranoia and wanting to cement power and chance the Heptarchy to a true absolute dictator. Having the Holodomor still happen can help with many questioning Sverdlov and causing mistrust of Communism in Ukraine. I’m honestly envisioning the two purges combined are worse than OTL. I even considered Zhukov d being killed but I’m so-so on that.
Rokkosovsky surviving would be worthwhile, I think, if you want some drama. Suppose, if he is captured and joins his Polish countrymen, although there's other possible routes too to take him.

Last edited:
Rokkosovsky surviving would be worthwhile, I think, if you want some drama. Suppose, if he is captured and joins his Polish countrymen, although there's other possible routes too to take him.
Very possible. I’ll have to do more research in those who were purged and those who weren’t.

I do have a question for you all. For the ranks of the Sturmwache (Storm Guard, the SA/Waffen-SS of TTL) I need help with the ranks. I was going to just straight up copy the SS ranks but I do want to at least try a new system. I won’t be using the SA ranks as the SA exists here as part of the Free German Workers’ League (FDAS). Anyone have suggestions?

I do have a question for you all. For the ranks of the Sturmwache (Storm Guard, the SA/Waffen-SS of TTL) I need help with the ranks. I was going to just straight up copy the SS ranks but I do want to at least try a new system. I won’t be using the SA ranks as the SA exists here as part of the Free German Workers’ League (FDAS). Anyone have suggestions?
Honestly, I don't think devising a new rank system is all that important in the grand scheme of things. I'd personally just take SS ranks, tweak some of the names a little, and exclude some of the higher ranks to reflect the smaller scale of the Sturmwache (supposing, for example, that SW formations seldom exceed the size of a regiment [or something else]), and then more or less leave it. Whether or not the Sturmwache is an entirely separate organization from the Volkswehr is also worth considering, since it would have implications for whether a general in the SW would have a rank in the SW to reflect that, or if the VW rank alone indicates their higher appointment to higher command, with perhaps a corresponding special SW designation.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think devising a new rank system is all that important in the grand scheme of things. I'd personally just take SS ranks, tweak some of the names a little, and exclude some of the higher ranks to reflect the smaller scale of the Sturmwache (supposing, for example, that SW formations seldom exceed the size of a regiment [or something else]), and then more or less leave it. Whether or not the Sturmwache is an entirely separate organization from the Volkswehr is also worth considering, since it would have implications for whether a general in the SW would have a rank in the SW to reflect that, or if the VW rank alone indicates their higher appointment to higher command, with perhaps a corresponding special SW designation.
Change "-fuehrer" to "-leiter." There can be only one Fuehrer.

Change "-fuehrer" to "-leiter." There can be only one Fuehrer.
If Hitler IOTL was fine with führer being part of various leader titles, I don't see why this Hitler would care, especially since he's more thoughtful this time around.

Tanner did say though that Sozinat Austria will have a strong Catholic element; perhaps religious tones could be involved in some specific ranks and unit insignias.

Last edited:

Nephi

Banned
How this actually supposed to work?

Austria isn't Germany, Germany might have been down but it certainly wasn't out.

He's not getting a reverse Anschluss, he could probably get Hungary to unify if it wasn't all, but you must be German, even if technically they are the people, culturally and linguistically they aren't. Which in Europe even still matters somehow.

(Finland is Nordic but not Scandinavian but all Scandinavians are Nordic, or is it Denmark that's Nordic but not Scandinavian. Denmark it's not on that peninsula. I know it's one of them.)

But German Austrians, they would scattered then in little pockets.

Now however he could expand that platform to Hungarians easily as they're in the same boat.

We demand renunciation with our Hungarian counterparts and the return of all Hungarian communities then the same racist dribble.

But I'm pretty sure Czechoslovakia without Chamberlain putting pressure on them could have defeated Germany, it definitely can a reunified AustraliaHungary, plus Italy isn't having it.

Oh, you think so well how about we just take the rest of Tyrol, and make the rest of you into a "protectorate" (colony).

If Hitler IOTL was fine with führer being part of various leader titles, I don't see why this Hitler would care, especially since he's more thoughtful this time around.

Tanner did say though that Sozinat Austria will have a strong Catholic element; perhaps religious tones could be involved in some specific ranks and unit insignias.
I’ve stuck with SS ranks, the highest being Gruppenführer right now. I do like that. Once the Sozinats are in power they’ll milk the Austrian Catholic Church for all its worth to appeal to that voter/support base.
happy new years everyone!
Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone has a great one. My year started off with potential black mold in my house, so that’s always fun. In other news I have finished the first two parts of the next chapter, and have two more to go. It’s set in Autumn/Winter of 1928.
Ooh I like this idea.
Me too!
How this actually supposed to work?

Austria isn't Germany, Germany might have been down but it certainly wasn't out.

He's not getting a reverse Anschluss, he could probably get Hungary to unify if it wasn't all, but you must be German, even if technically they are the people, culturally and linguistically they aren't. Which in Europe even still matters somehow.

(Finland is Nordic but not Scandinavian but all Scandinavians are Nordic, or is it Denmark that's Nordic but not Scandinavian. Denmark it's not on that peninsula. I know it's one of them.)

But German Austrians, they would scattered then in little pockets.

Now however he could expand that platform to Hungarians easily as they're in the same boat.

We demand renunciation with our Hungarian counterparts and the return of all Hungarian communities then the same racist dribble.

But I'm pretty sure Czechoslovakia without Chamberlain putting pressure on them could have defeated Germany, it definitely can a reunified AustraliaHungary, plus Italy isn't having it.

Oh, you think so well how about we just take the rest of Tyrol, and make the rest of you into a "protectorate" (colony).
Hitler is not getting a Reverse Anschluss to annex all of Germany. Sozinat Austria is not Nazi Germany. The Sozinats won’t be ruling from the English Channel to the gates of Moscow, nor the fjords of Norway to the deserts of North Africa.

Austria will be fighting above its weight and do surprisingly well in the first couple of years but that is mainly due to:
1) Allied negligence/focusing on a resurgent Germany
2) Japan having more stability in mainland China so it can devote more resources to future conquests/Anglo-Japanese War
3) geography of TTL’s Axis Powers (will make more sense when we get there)
4) Austria can’t bully its allies like Germany did, so it has to create a more United front in the Axis, better coordination, shared logistics network etc.
5) Stoßanstürmen, the equivalent to blitzkrieg pioneered by the Austrians. It’s their term for blitzkrieg but blitzkrieg as a term will be popularized by the Germans.
6) the Sozinats have a broader definition of what constitutes ‘Aryan’ so they won’t be butchering half of Europe while conquering. Mainly Jews, Serbs, Gypsies, Jehovah Witnesses, homosexuals and communists

Now even though the Sozinats aren’t conquering and annexing countries left and right, they will expand territorially but not by much. Hungary, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia are avenues of Austrian expansionism, but that expansion does not always have to be through war.

Chamberlain will be remembered in a far more positive light here than OTL. The British aren’t exactly the driving force of Appeasement here, that’s France who is essentially giving Germany the middle finger in helping prop up Austria as a counterweight.

I’ve stuck with SS ranks, the highest being Gruppenführer right now. I do like that. Once the Sozinats are in power they’ll milk the Austrian Catholic Church for all its worth to appeal to that voter/support base.

Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone has a great one. My year started off with potential black mold in my house, so that’s always fun. In other news I have finished the first two parts of the next chapter, and have two more to go. It’s set in Autumn/Winter of 1928.

Me too!

Hitler is not getting a Reverse Anschluss to annex all of Germany. Sozinat Austria is not Nazi Germany. The Sozinats won’t be ruling from the English Channel to the gates of Moscow, nor the fjords of Norway to the deserts of North Africa.

Austria will be fighting above its weight and do surprisingly well in the first couple of years but that is mainly due to:
1) Allied negligence/focusing on a resurgent Germany
2) Japan having more stability in mainland China so it can devote more resources to future conquests/Anglo-Japanese War
3) geography of TTL’s Axis Powers (will make more sense when we get there)
4) Austria can’t bully its allies like Germany did, so it has to create a more United front in the Axis, better coordination, shared logistics network etc.
5) Stoßanstürmen, the equivalent to blitzkrieg pioneered by the Austrians. It’s their term for blitzkrieg but blitzkrieg as a term will be popularized by the Germans.
6) the Sozinats have a broader definition of what constitutes ‘Aryan’ so they won’t be butchering half of Europe while conquering. Mainly Jews, Serbs, Gypsies, Jehovah Witnesses, homosexuals and communists

Now even though the Sozinats aren’t conquering and annexing countries left and right, they will expand territorially but not by much. Hungary, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia are avenues of Austrian expansionism, but that expansion does not always have to be through war.

Chamberlain will be remembered in a far more positive light here than OTL. The British aren’t exactly the driving force of Appeasement here, that’s France who is essentially giving Germany the middle finger in helping prop up Austria as a counterweight.
All of this is seriously exciting. Can't wait to see this Austria in action. Hopefully they have at least one impressive victory, like Germany's against France, before everything goes to hell for them

It’s their term for blitzkrieg but blitzkrieg as a term will be popularized by the Germans.
The Germans IOTL disliked the word blitzkrieg. Do you mean that the Germany will wage rapid maneuver campaigns and that will popularize the term amongst outsiders?

Last edited: