It's been interesting and rather watching Simon's family and their struggles, while obviously it's not been a easy or even safe existence in Austria it's been....insulated?

By that despite the abuse and hatred a large part of the population has for him and his entire family for being Jewish he's been seen as useful enough to protected from the worst of it. It's not been the best life but he's been able to keep food on the table for his family so far and keep his head down as apolitical banker just trying to live the best he can.

Now with Hitler, who see's them as unironically behind all the evil's of the world taking power that will end and his family be have to flee or be hunted like animals.

It's good to see the humanity behind his future victims before they become so many they are just statistics.

Last edited:
It's been interesting and rather watching Simon's family and their struggles, while obviously it's not been a a easy or even safe existence in Austria it's been....insulated?

By that despite the abuse and hatred a large part of the population has for him and his entire family for being Jewish he's been seen as useful enough to protected from the worst of it. It's not been the best life but he's been able to keep food on the table for his family so far and keep his head down as apolitical banker just trying to live the best he can.

Now with Hitler, who see's them as unironically behind all the evil's of the world taking power that will end and his family be have to flee or be hunted like animals.

It's good to see the humanity behind his future victims before they become so many they are just statistics.
Simon is doing better than many Austrians and many Austrian Jews. The Golmayer are middle-class, he works a respectable job and has three surviving children. He’s doing well for himself, considering everything.

There are about a quarter-million Jews in Austria here, most are in Vienna. The Austro-Jewish population will be devastated by the Holocaust. The Nathaniel de Rothschild won’t be able to escape Hitler’s racism unfortunately.

Mhmm. I wanted to have a PoV character who experiences the increasing racism of Austria and the horrors that will follow through their eyes.

How would Hitler react to the developments in Germany ?
Also what happened to figures like Schleicher and the "DNVP" if it even exists TTL ?

It almost feels like Dollfuß is taking the role of OTL Papen here

How would Hitler react to the developments in Germany ?
Also what happened to figures like Schleicher and the "DNVP" if it even exists TTL ?

It almost feels like Dollfuß is taking the role of OTL Papen here
A weak Germany is something Hitler would prefer, at least as of now, so they can’t strong arm Austria and be so unstable as to draw the attention of France and Britain so Austria can become fascist and not really pop up on the Allies radar.

The DNVP still exists here, and is a leading German party alongside the SDP and Center. Göring is a part of the DNVP, likely some local party chief in Prussia.

Dollfuss will be a dictator but under a facade of democracy. He does get some things done, and a lot of his policies will be co-opted by the Sozinats once they have full power in 193X.

The DNVP still exists here, and is a leading German party alongside the SDP and Center. Göring is a part of the DNVP, likely some local party chief in Prussia.
And the fate of Schleicher, von Papen, and co? And on that note, we could have the ideas of the Conservative Revolution be a bigger thing ITTL.

And the fate of Schleicher, von Papen, and co? And on that note, we could have the ideas of the Conservative Revolution be a bigger thing ITTL.
Schleicher - I am undecided on him tbh. Either A) he becomes chancellor and his government mismanaged so badly that it is a reason that leads to the German Civil War or B) he never becomes chancellor and allies with the FDAS due to his friendship with Röhm and helps lead some of the more far-right militants in the DNVP to the fascist side during the Civil War.

Von Papen might become a compromise choice Chancellor during the Civil War but after I plan for the German Chancellor to be Carl Friedrich Goerdeler as the first Chancellor of the reborn German Empire.

The Conservative Revolution is a bit more popular in Germany here. Despite eventually becoming the reborn German Empire, Germany will be ruled by a coalition of Center, SDP and DNVP for much of the 20th century with each party’s power ebbing and flowing with time.

Austrian Parliamentary Elections + Dollfuss Cabinet
1919 Constituent Assembly Election
(February 16th, 1919)

[170 parliamentary seats, 86 needed for majority]
—Social Democratic Workers’ Party of Austria: 72
—Christian Social Party: 69
—National Liberal Front: 14
—various parties: 12
Government: Social Democrat/Christian Social coalition.
Head of State: vacant
Head of Government: Chancellor Karl Renner (SDAPÖ)
1920 National Council Election
(October 17th, 1920)

[183 parliamentary seats, 92 needed for a majority]
—Christian Social Party: 85
—Social Democratic Workers’ Party of Austria: 67
—National Liberal Front: 24
Landbund: 7
Government: Social Democratic/Christian Social
Head of State: Michael Hainisch (Independent)
Head of Government: Chancellor Ignaz Seipel (CS) (replaced Renner in a Cabinet reshuffle)
1923 National Council Election
(October 21st, 1923)

[165 parliamentary seats, 83 for a majority]
—Christian Social Party: 64
—Social Democratic Workers’ Party of Austria: 58
—National Liberal Front: 33
—Communist Party of Austria: 8
Landbund: 2
Government: Christian Social/National Liberal
Head of Government: Ignaz Seipel (CS)
1927 National Council Election
(April 24th, 1927)

—Christian Social Party: 75
—Social Democratic Workers’ Party of Austria: 56
—Austrian Social Nationalist People’s Party: 11
—National Liberal Front: 10
Heimatblock: 5
Landbund: 4
—Communist Party of Austria: 4
Government: Christian Social/National Liberal/Landbund/Heimatblock
Head of Government: Ignaz Seipel (CS)
1929 National Council Election
(May 6th, 1929)

—Social Democratic Workers’ Party of Austria: 77
—Christian Social Party: 59
Landbund: 9
—Austrian Social Nationalist People’s Party: 7
—National Liberal Front: 6
Heimatblock: 4
—Communist Party of Austria: 3
Government: Social Democrat/Landbund
Head of State: Wilhelm Miklas (CS)
Head of Government: Karl Seitz (SDAPÖ)
1930 National Council Election
(November 6th, 1930)

—Social Democratic Workers’ Party of Austria: 76
—Fatherland Front: 28
—Christian Social Party: 23
—Austrian Social Nationalist People’s Party: 16
Landbund: 8
—Communist Party of Austria: 5
—National Liberal Front: 4
Government: Social Democrat/Landbund
Head of Government: Karl Seitz (SDAPÖ)
1931 National Council Election
(December 17th, 1931)

—Fatherland Front: 48
—Social Democratic Workers’ Party of Austria: 41
—Austrian Social Nationalist People’s Party: 31
—Christian Social Party: 19
—Communist Party of Austria: 14
Landbund: 4
—National Liberal Front: 3
Government: Fatherland Front/Social Nationalist/Landbund/Heimatblock
Head of Government: Engelbert Dollfuss (VF)
Dollfuss Cabinet
Chancellor: Engelbert Dollfuss (VF)
Vice-Chancellor and Minister of the Army: Adolf Hitler (ÖSNVP)
Minister of Justice: Kurt Schuschnigg (VF)
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Alois Schönburg-Hartenstein (Independent)
Minister of the Interior: Ernst Rüdiger von Starhemberg (ÖSNVP)
Minister of Education: Anton Rintelen (VF)
Minister of Finance and the Economy: Karl Buresch (VF)
Minister of Industry: Eduard Heinl (VF)
Minister of Agriculture and Forestry: Franz Winkler (Landbund)
Minister of Social Affairs: Hugo Jury (ÖSNVP)
Minister of Commerce and Transport: Franz Hueber (Heimatblock)
Minister of Public Security: Emil Fey (VF)​

Last edited:
Another great chapter and it seems an absolutely horrifying fate is about to befall Austria and it's people, I'm absolutely loving how your depicting the chaos of Austria's decay and it puts me on the edge of my seat for what's next.

Anyway, made a meme to celebrate the return of this AltHist and more to come.

Attachments

• Picsart_23-12-10_03-39-21-503-min.jpg
    Picsart_23-12-10_03-39-21-503-min.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 139
Another great chapter and it seems an absolutely horrifying fate is about to befall Austria and it's people, I'm absolutely loving how your depicting the chaos of Austria's decay and it puts me on the edge of my seat for what's next.

Glad the descent into madness is proceeding as planned.

Thank you for the meme! Made me laugh. I feel the in-universe AltHist for this TL will be wild. Especially as we get closer to more world events happening

They had over 40 percent of all the seats (as one faction) and still voted to bring down the government.
Incredible.

Glad the descent into madness is proceeding as planned.

Thank you for the meme! Made me laugh. I feel the in-universe AltHist for this TL will be wild. Especially as we get closer to more world events happening
It's no problem, glad you enjoyed the meme and yeah, I can imagine ITTL that the cliché "Hitler never takes power" AltHist would involve him getting shot while foreign minister to Japan during the funeral; or becoming a full blown weeaboo and translating early Anime/Manga into German in more meme-y AltHist's (like Heinrich Himmler being a chicken farmer in Kaiserreich) .
They had over 40 percent of all the seats (as one faction) and still voted to bring down the government.
Incredible.
Even in AltHistory Germanic Social Democrat parties are their own worst enemy.

Last edited:
“Indeed.” Dollfuss stood, his comical height for a man paling to the ambition and power he wielded. “On Monday we proceed with the next step. Seitz’s government will end.”
Pictured: Chancellor Engelbert Dollfuss, after the Fatherland Front's victory in the 1931 National Council Election (colorized).
images

Source: Dragon Ball Wiki.

Incredible.
Some would say it was the arrogance of the overconfident. My students would say it was a Big Brain moment gone wrong. Many of the SDAPÖ councilors felt they were in a lose-lose situation. Either a government stuck in gridlock which had a high chance to cost them their seat next election or they risk their government by appearing active and hoping it will stir up support for them. They are quite wrong here.
It's no problem, glad you enjoyed the meme and yeah, I can imagine ITTL that the cliché "Hitler never takes power" AltHist would involve him getting shot while foreign minister to Japan during the funeral; or becoming a full blown weeaboo and translating early Anime/Manga into German in more meme-y AltHist's (like Heinrich Himmler being a chicken farmer in Kaiserreich) .

Even in AltHistory Germanic Social Democrat parties are their own worst enemy.
Well it wouldn’t be the first time a political party was in charge and shot itself in the foot. Reminds me of the American Democrats in the 1970s. Had majorities in both houses yet their relationship with Carter caused a lot to not pass/move forward. A wasted opportunity if you will.
Pictured: Chancellor Engelbert Dollfuss, after the Fatherland Front's victory in the 1931 National Council Election (colorized).
images

Source: Dragon Ball Wiki.
Lmao. It is crazy that the man was shorter than five foot yet led a country in the 20th century. Like his political enemies must have highlighted that until he became an outright dictator.
Early 1930s SPO is as empty of self preservation instincts as the banks are of money.
A mistake to be sure in hindsight. At least post-war the SDAPÖ (they keep the old name) will do some good things though they will be haunted by the Sozinat purge against them.

Post-war Austria will have two main parties, SDAPÖ and the Austrian Conservative Party (ÖKP).

So now that Dollfuss and hitler are in power is it gonna be concentration camps, paramilitary rallies and late night black bagging all over Austria?

So now that Dollfuss and hitler are in power is it gonna be concentration camps, paramilitary rallies and late night black bagging all over Austria?
More Federal State of Austria rather than a Nazi Germany analogue. It’s a dictatorship, repression of rights and mass arrests but many of those arrested are let go, typically only ringleaders and key players stay in jail. When Hitler becomes dictator the purge to follow will be more in depth.

So I'm guessing when hitler comes to power he's gonna have a night of the long knives on steroids, people Dollfuss let go will be hanging on meat hooks under hitler